Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AppleVNCServer (ARD) VERY unreliable

AppleVNCServer (ARD) VERY unreliable
Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 11:37 PM

I was hoping to stop using OSXvnc.app, and start using Apple Remote Desktop for my VNC server (which I use in conjunction with x2vnc to share keyboard & mouse between several computers).

However, I've found it to be horrendously unreliable. I'm running version 2.2 of ARD on Tiger (after finding that 2.1 which ships with Tiger, is apparently not compatible with Tiger - it had the same problems anyhow).

The VNC Service works fine sometimes, but at other times, when I move the mouse cursor onto the remote Tiger display, it stops moving, and the "AppleVNCServer" process jumps up to about 30 - 40% of CPU (it's usually only about 1% CPU while I'm using it).

Once this happense, there appears to be no remedy but to kill the process (it is then automatically restarted). However, that does not necessarily help, as it is quite likely that any subsequent attempt to use the VNC service has the same result.

I've no idea what triggers this behaviour, or how to prevent it. It's making it almost impossible to use the VNC service.

OSXvnc is very reliable, in comparisgon, but unfortuantely, OSXvnc does not play nicely with dual displays, and only give me access to one of the displays.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? any ideas on how to solve it?

siMac
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 02:33 AM

I haven't had your exact problem, but I have got issues with ARD running on Panther server (Xserve) at work. I connect to the Xserve using Chicken of the VNC and it regularly stops updating the screen - I have to close the window and reconnect each time I want the screen refreshed. I have now installed OSXvnc on the server too since I need an VNC connection to be able to remotely (the Xserve has no video card) stop and restart the ARD service - this is the only way to get it to behave properly again.

The latest update hasn't fixed anything either.

On an slightly unrelated topic, I have keyboard mapping issues over VNC. I want to control OSX Server (French) from OSX (French) but it seems the only way I can get the keyboard mapping to work is to switch the client machine's layout to US and the server's to French - French/French gives bizarre results. I suspect this is a bug with Chicken of the VNC and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues?

Si
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by siMac
On an slightly unrelated topic, I have keyboard mapping issues over VNC. I want to control OSX Server (French) from OSX (French) but it seems the only way I can get the keyboard mapping to work is to switch the client machine's layout to US and the server's to French - French/French gives bizarre results. I suspect this is a bug with Chicken of the VNC and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues?
It's a Chicken bug. And here, too.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
I have now installed OSXvnc on the server too since I need an VNC connection to be able to remotely (the Xserve has no video card) stop and restart the ARD service - this is the only way to get it to behave properly again.
In order to stop/start the ARD VNC service, I just SSH into the machine, and kill the "AppleVNCServer" process. Or "killall AppleVNCServer". The process is automatically restarted by the system if it gets killed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules