Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problem connecting to DHCP

Problem connecting to DHCP
sxates
Aug 20, 2005, 12:59 AM

So here's my situation.

I have 3 computers hooked up to a switch in my home office (upstairs), 2 windows boxes and my powerbook. The switch is hooked up to a wireless bridge that connects me to the wireless router downstairs. Both windows boxes are able to pull an IP from the router without any problem, but my powerbook will not. Via the airport it works fine, as usual, but the ethernet connection can't seem to pull an IP, just self-assigns.

Is there some trick to getting this to work? Any settings I may have overlooked? I have not had any problems with DHCP on other wired networks, but this is a new setup. Any help would be appreciated.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2005, 01:21 AM

um.. this belongs in the networking section. but o well. the only thing i can think of is the range the router assigns. also, i am not sure if you have a VLAN set up but switches can be assholes about that stuff.

sxates  (op)
Aug 20, 2005, 01:55 AM

If a mod can move this that'd be great.

What is VLAN?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2005, 02:58 AM

Vireless Network.

sxates  (op)
Aug 20, 2005, 09:10 PM

Anybody else have an idea?

sxates  (op)
Aug 20, 2005, 11:59 PM

Well, apparently DHCP in OS X is not working properly or something. Manually configuring the IP, gateway, etc. got it to work, but DHCP never picked it up. Very odd...

Forum Links
Forum Rules