Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Disassembling Powerbook Screen??

Disassembling Powerbook Screen??
Felgerkarb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 01:04 PM

Hey,

I am using a 15 in G4, and a stray hair has managed to work it's way behind the plastic coating protecting the LCD screen. It is driving me insane.

I have searched the web for instructions on how to safely remove the plastic frame of the screen, or at least loosen it so I can try to remove the stray hair, but have only found instructions on how to replace the display as a whole.

Does anyone have any insight? I would appreciate any help.

-F

ibook_steve
Sep 21, 2005, 01:15 PM

I'm not sure I understand. You're saying there is a hair in the screen itself? That's not really possible. I could understand if a hair got stuck under the outer frame, but the LCD itself is completely sealed. Can you post a picture?

Steve

Felgerkarb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 02:21 PM

Here are the pictures. It seems to me that there is a protective plastic film above the LCD screen itself. I believe the hair is between the two.

Here are links to compressed jpg.'s of the screen

Powerbook_1.jpg

Powerbook_2.jpg

ibook_steve
Sep 21, 2005, 04:54 PM

I can't connect to the server where you have those pictures. But there is no protective plastic film on the LCD unless you still have the packing material attached to it.

Steve

xargos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
I can't connect to the server where you have those pictures. But there is no protective plastic film on the LCD unless you still have the packing material attached to it.
Although you are right about the plastic film, I have to admit the pictures do look exactly like described... The hair looks like it's a little ways in from the left edge of the screen, not at all behind the bezel.

stephanielamb
Sep 21, 2005, 06:43 PM

Are you sure it's not a scratch or something?

Felgerkarb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Sorry you can't connect. I can always send you the images directly, if there is a way to do that. There does seem to be a plastic transparent piece that is secured to the lcd screen itself by the bezel.

Originally Posted by stephanielamb
Are you sure it's not a scratch or something?
Quite sure. In fact, it is slowly moving away from the edge of the screen. I assume that it is static electricity pulling it over.
( Last edited by Felgerkarb; Sep 21, 2005 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo)

Felgerkarb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 07:09 PM

I just had a thought. Any chance it is behind the lcd, between the screen and the backlight? If that is the case, would removing the back panel make it accessible? Any info on how I would do that?

ibook_steve
Sep 22, 2005, 09:15 PM

Can you PM those pictures? I still can't see them. Or put them in a post.

Steve

sxates
Sep 23, 2005, 08:45 AM

I could tell you how to take the screen apart (i've taken mine apart) but I don't think that would help. There's no plastic cover between the LCD and the frame, the LCD is a solid unit. There may be several layers to it, but it's all bound as one. Taking the LCD itself apart will probably prove to be beyond your technical comfort, and I certainly wouldn't advise it.

I suppose if it's annoying enough that you are willing to buy a new LCD, then risking damaging it by taking it apart isn't a very big deal since you'd be replacing it anyway. But if you aren't prepared to replace it, I'd see if Apple or some other repair shop could handle it. There won't be an easy way to get it out if it's behind the screen.

Felgerkarb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 11:18 AM

I could tell you how to take the screen apart (i've taken mine apart) but I don't think that would help. There's no plastic cover between the LCD and the frame, the LCD is a solid unit. There may be several layers to it, but it's all bound as one.
I see.....as I mentioned, I am wondering if there is a space between the LCD screen and the backlight for the LCD. Perhaps the hair is in this space.

Taking the LCD itself apart will probably prove to be beyond your technical comfort, and I certainly wouldn't advise it.

Certainly taking apart anything voids the warranty, but I am pretty technically comfortable, just didn't want to start hacking away at the screen without a plan. Since replacing the display would be in the $1000 range, I would much rather explore other options first....unless you think stray hair is covered by the warranty....

sxates
Sep 24, 2005, 12:27 AM

Well, getting a hair out probably won't be a warranty issue, but $100-200 in labor to get it out is better than a new display, which is what you might end up needing if you try to take it apart yourself. If the tech breaks it, he gets to pay for it

Felgerkarb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 12:35 AM

OK, I appreciate the advice, but if you could actually give me the instructions, or a resource on where to find instructions, I could decide for myself if this is something I want to attempt, or just pay for the service. Thanks in advance,

-F

sxates
Sep 24, 2005, 01:43 AM

I can tell you how to remove the LCD from the case, but opening up the LCD (seperating backlight from the panel) is something I have not attempted.

Basically, if you want to open it up and take a look you'll need to take out the 2 hex screws at the bottom of the screen. There are specially rounded head tools that will let you do it without taking the rest of the PB apart (which is what I had to do to get to them with a standard hex wrench). The plastic edge is part of the back of the case, so you'll have to pry apart the aluminum frame from the plastic edge (carefully ). From there you should have access to the panel, and it's up to you from there. Good luck

sxates
Sep 24, 2005, 01:47 AM

Don't know if these will help, but here are the photos from when I took mine apart:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sxates/sets/606291/

bighead
Senior User
Sep 24, 2005, 11:40 AM

Actually, I've seen hairs in LCDs before, and virtually nobody has had problems getting it fixed under warranty, as long as there is no evidence that the screen was tampered with. I'd call up AppleCare or stop by an Apple Store and talk with them about it.

It may be a bit of an extended affair, since if you have to send the unit to the mail-in depot, it won't be delivered anytime soon. CTS (which does 15" PowerBooks) is based in Houston, and Apple has directed folks not to send things there until further notice.

Still, though, it's a warranty issue despite what the folks here have said. Don't screw with the display, and go take it for inspection at an authorized repair center.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by bighead
Still, though, it's a warranty issue despite what the folks here have said. Don't screw with the display, and go take it for inspection at an authorized repair center.
how exactly is a hair behind the LCD a warranty issue? it seems to me exactly the sort of thing companies go out of their way not to cover.

-r.

bighead
Senior User
Sep 24, 2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson
how exactly is a hair behind the LCD a warranty issue? it seems to me exactly the sort of thing companies go out of their way not to cover.
As long as the display has not been tampered with, it is almost impossible to get a hair into the screen due to the lack of available space for a hair to squirm through to get there. I've replaced several screens for hairs and dirt in the screen, and sent several to depot for the same, and none of the laptops that looked to be in good shape were kicked back as being out of warranty.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Felgerkarb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the advice and pictures everyone. I will post a follow up to let you know how it goes.
( Last edited by Felgerkarb; Sep 30, 2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: type)

Felgerkarb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2005, 05:32 PM

Sorry for the delay, I was in the middle of a project that made it inconvenient for me to give up my laptop for repair.

As Ian the Bighead attested, there was no problem returning my powerbook to the Apple store for repair (I was still within the 1 year warranty period). The AppleStore technician was quite baffled how it happened (he asked me if I was a barber, the answer is no....), but sent it in to the depot for repair. It was sent back in less than a week (dropped it off Friday, received it the following Wednesday. The display had been replaced, as had something ALS, ASSY, RT, Q16B...don't know what that is, but I suppose I am glad it has been replaced.

In any case, happy with the outcome and speed of service, and glad to have a hairless powerbook!

-F

ibook_steve
Nov 16, 2005, 07:05 PM

ALS is the ambient light sensor that is used to detect light in the environment and automatically adjust the backlight. ASSY is the assembly, RT is on the right, and Q16B is the machine's code name. I'm not sure why they would need to replace the ALS for a hair in the screen.

Steve

f1000
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 07:20 PM

It looks like a hair is indeed between the backlight and the LCD panel. I'm glad Apple took care of it for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules