Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Mac Ad Parody on gaming

Mac Ad Parody on gaming
sxates
Jun 22, 2006, 10:07 PM

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 01:42 PM

Um, not really...kind of sophomoric.

And outdated. Now, we can play all those games too, and benchmarks say, we can play them better than a lot of PC's.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 01:43 PM

Well, by "we," I mean Mac users as a whole...not "me" yet, because I don't have an Intel Mac yet.

Dammit.

sxates  (op)
Jun 27, 2006, 10:45 PM

I was under the impression that the benefit of buying a mac was the software, not the hardware. Running games on it now requires turning it into a wintel box, so is it still a mac when it's running windows?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 03:05 AM

Well, as benchmarks and PC mag reviews are showing, if it's not a Mac, then it's still the best PC around. But yeah, clearly the best thing about a Mac is OS X and the iLife mac.

Now, though, Mac buyers don't even have to sacrifice gaming to have the best PC (as in "personal computer") on the market.

For my part, though, even when I do get a new Mac, I still won't defile it with a Windows partition.

eobet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 07:15 AM

You are clearly not a PC gamer, because then you'd know that a good gaming PC has always, and will always be faster than any Mac. Not even when the iMac was just announced and not when the Mac Pro will be announced will Apple have the edge on PC games.

Why? Well, where is the SLI solution for a Mac, I wonder? Where is the X-fi sound card? Overclocking as a rule and not the exception?

Yes, Mac can play the few games it has pretty well, and a few more if you install Windows on them, but don't for a second try to kid yourself that you can compare it to the PC experience of gaming.

PC gaming is on a whole other level, and the Mac is not even in the same league.

The reason is the Apple business model (which fits them fine, I'm not complaining, I have a MBP I really like). A PC gamer usually buys new a hardware component to stick in his PC at least once a year, and a serious gamer buys new components several times a year

I don't think there will be an option for doing that even on the new Mac Pros (not easily anyway).

I know it is difficult to understand for most Mac users, but if you're never been a PC gamer and bought a new graphics card just to be able to play a newly released title, you don't know what I'm talking about (and you can argue that what I'm describing is a bad thing, but I don't care, you're still not playing in the same league).

So there, can we bury the issue whether Mac is for gaming now? It can do a shitload of other stuff a PC can't do (not easily anyway).

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 28, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by eobet
You are clearly not a PC gamer, because then you'd know that a good gaming PC has always, and will always be faster than any Mac. Not even when the iMac was just announced and not when the Mac Pro will be announced will Apple have the edge on PC games.

Such strong words...'always'?  How do you know the upcoming Mac Pro won't offer SLI support?

sxates  (op)
Jun 28, 2006, 10:41 AM

Well, I don't think you have to have some super high end SLI rig to be considered a PC gamer--that kind of thing is usually reserved for people with too much money who are compensating for shortcomings with a needlessly high frame rate.

My point is that there's nothing different on the inside of a MBP than what's inside a Dell, what makes it a Mac is the Mac OS. So if you're running windows on it, it's not a mac anymore, it's just a PC made by Apple. The only difference is the case and the logo on the outside.

I think it's pretty funny then that there are so many mac people, who have traditionally shunned the PC, who now point to it and say "look, it can be a PC too! it's perfect now!" Well, if someone wants a PC, don't you think they'll just buy a PC? It'd be cheaper that way, and you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of boot camp.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2006, 11:05 AM

Why? Well, where is the SLI solution for a Mac, I wonder? Where is the X-fi sound card? Overclocking as a rule and not the exception?
Haven't we dispelled these old myths long ago. I'll give you SLI, but the Mac has sound cards and you can certainly overclock video cards on a Mac and in some cases the CPUs. Besides, why do you even need to overclock hardware, even with normal hardware running at normal speeds gaming is fine on the Mac.

Yes, Mac can play the few games it has pretty well, and a few more if you install Windows on them, but don't for a second try to kid yourself that you can compare it to the PC experience of gaming.

PC gaming is on a whole other level, and the Mac is not even in the same league.

The reason is the Apple business model (which fits them fine, I'm not complaining, I have a MBP I really like). A PC gamer usually buys new a hardware component to stick in his PC at least once a year, and a serious gamer buys new components several times a year

I don't think there will be an option for doing that even on the new Mac Pros (not easily anyway).

I know it is difficult to understand for most Mac users, but if you're never been a PC gamer and bought a new graphics card just to be able to play a newly released title, you don't know what I'm talking about (and you can argue that what I'm describing is a bad thing, but I don't care, you're still not playing in the same league).

So there, can we bury the issue whether Mac is for gaming now? It can do a shitload of other stuff a PC can't do (not easily anyway).
As for the rest, the Mac Pro hasn't even been announced yet, and your saying what it can't do. NOW WHO IS MAKING THINGS UP!!! Somebody seems to be threatened by the new Intel Macs.

Also don't lump all Mac people together, I've never shunned the PC, only the windows OS. Apple is finally showing what a PC can do when you turn it into a Mac.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

eobet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
How do you know the upcoming Mac Pro won't offer SLI support?
Originally Posted by sxates
My point is that there's nothing different on the inside of a MBP than what's inside a Dell...
Originally Posted by Leonard
I'll give you SLI, but the Mac has sound cards and you can certainly overclock video cards on a Mac and in some cases the CPUs.
Three prime examples of OS X users who don't understand, and I can reply to you all with the same answer:

If my PC or Dell one day lacks a feature for a game I can go out and buy a new graphics card, sound card or CPU anywhere and put it into my machine. With Apple you cannot do this, regardless of them being Intel based, because there simply aren't any drivers availible. Apple doesn't distribute them, and the makers don't distribute them.

Apple's business model is not for gamers.

Perhaps an allegory would be fitting. Say that Apple is the FIA licensed Formula One league. Top performance, but within a very restricted set of rules and regulations. A regular PC however, is everything from the poor commuter to tuned street racing and all the way to the record breaking speed freaks in the Nevada desert. It's all basically cars, and I'm not saying that being a Formula One car is bad, but it is still very different leagues.

sxates  (op)
Jun 28, 2006, 01:36 PM

Three prime examples of OS X users who don't understand, and I can reply to you all with the same answer:

If my PC or Dell one day lacks a feature for a game I can go out and buy a new graphics card, sound card or CPU anywhere and put it into my machine. With Apple you cannot do this, regardless of them being Intel based, because there simply aren't any drivers availible. Apple doesn't distribute them, and the makers don't distribute them.
Actually, I've been building PCs for years, and have always been big into PC games, so I do know what you're talking about. And you're right, Macs aren't very upgrade friendly. I wasn't really addressing that aspect, I actually had laptops in mind, which are pretty difficult to upgrade no matter who makes them (very few support upgradable video cards, for example).

All I'm saying is that if you are running windows on your Mac (a macbook pro, for example), what you have really isn't any different from a Dell Inspiron, other than the case. So what you have, is a Windows PC that happens to have been bought from Apple, not a Mac. So the conclusion then is that boot camp/parallels doesn't really enable mac gaming, it enables pc-gaming

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 03:50 PM

A PC gamer usually buys new a hardware component to stick in his PC at least once a year, and a serious gamer buys new components several times a year.

While I respect everyone's preferences I find that a freaking expensive way to 'just' play games. And I think I know what are you talking about… I had a PC a long long time ago, it was a 486dx2 ( LOL@me ) with a freaking expensive matrox ultima card aimed to CAD design, the card was exquisite but… it was not any good to play games, being honest it just sucked aimed to play games… There were those cheap S3 based cards that were able to play games -albeit msdos- games much better than my expensive matrox… but well, I was not a gamer being honest, then I had to upgrade the matrox to a millenium model, same thing, great performer at 'serious' apps and even windows LOL but again a sh*t running games.

Perhaps an allegory would be fitting. Say that Apple is the FIA licensed Formula One league. Top performance, but within a very restricted set of rules and regulations. A regular PC however, is everything from the poor commuter to tuned street racing and all the way to the record breaking speed freaks in the Nevada desert. It's all basically cars, and I'm not saying that being a Formula One car is bad, but it is still very different leagues.
I don't think it does fit… F1 is top notch everything, place any other sport car side by side on a track with a F1, and that other car is going to pale. Place a Mac side by side with a PC to run games, and I fear the Mac is the one is going to pale.

And as you can easily suppose, I don't play games with a computer, I much prefer a videoconsole, I know my investment is going to be good for a good amount of years, and I never was able to get used to the keyboard+mouse combo… but that is all about personal taste though.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2006, 05:49 PM

BS. I can go out and buy a soundcard or video card at any Mac shop and upgrade my Mac. In fact I was just perusing the web the other day for a new video card. Time to put these OLD myths to rest. Sure there isn't the variety (especially in video cards) the PC has, and there never will be, but upgrades are available.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

CaptainUnbannable
Baninated
Jun 28, 2006, 06:17 PM

Actually you're the kind of dumbshit that just pisses me off. I've had macs forever... I played Quake with my PC friends, Unreal, UT, UT2003, UT2004, Quake 2, Quake 3 (which was released on a mac first omg lol!), Enemy Territory, Doom, Doom3, what else. The only game that I honestly feel left out on is Half Life and CS. But now that intel macs can play those too, it doesn't really matter. Your argument is moot. I play all the time in ET, and some guys have SHITTY computers but can play better. Getting 500FPS does NOT make you a better player. So go masturbate to the latest videocard overclocking utility.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 06:56 PM

I am so clearly not a PC gamer because I gave up PC gaming for the superior computer experience of the Mac.

However, I was once quite the gamer, so I can't help but take umbrage.

What you're talking about is whether a completely tricked out PC can beat a Mac at gaming...well, duh. There's going to be more options, of course. However, I'm talking about normal people using PC's and Macs for gaming and I'm saying that now, Mac has just as much to offer for gamers--excepting the folks who would buy an Alienware just for gaming or some such.

eobet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainUnbannable
Actually you're the kind of dumbshit that just pisses me off. I've had macs forever... I played Quake with my PC friends, Unreal, UT, UT2003, UT2004, Quake 2, Quake 3 (which was released on a mac first omg lol!), Enemy Territory, Doom, Doom3, what else. The only game that I honestly feel left out on is Half Life and CS. But now that intel macs can play those too, it doesn't really matter. Your argument is moot. I play all the time in ET, and some guys have SHITTY computers but can play better. Getting 500FPS does NOT make you a better player. So go masturbate to the latest videocard overclocking utility.
I've never said that I buy expensive hardware or am a hardcore gamer. I've only said that because I have a PC, I can. I've also not judged anyone in this thread. Until now...

Let's see, in the last year or so, I've played Trackmania, Live for Speed, Richard Burns Rally, Prince of Persia: The two thrones, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, SWAT 4, Far Cry, F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, Il-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, Rome: Total War, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, Locomotion, Children of the Nile, City Life, Medieval Lords, Hitman: Blood Money, Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Heroes of Might & Magic V, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Titan Quest and Guild Wars.

A word of advice is to not name drop titles, you'll just end up looking silly. And even if you try to counter with "what about boot camp", the other people in this thread get it, but you're so little league and narrow sighted that it's just sad. I don't think you even read this post. I'm sorry, but I can't do anything for you.
MBP 1.83 week 12 512mb + 1024mb Corsair memory

CaptainUnbannable
Baninated
Jun 29, 2006, 11:06 AM

I've never said that I buy expensive hardware or am a hardcore gamer. I've only said that because I have a PC, I can. I've also not judged anyone in this thread. Until now...

Let's see, in the last year or so, I've played Trackmania, Live for Speed, Richard Burns Rally, Prince of Persia: The two thrones, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, SWAT 4, Far Cry, F.E.A.R., Battlefield 2, Il-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, Rome: Total War, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, Locomotion, Children of the Nile, City Life, Medieval Lords, Hitman: Blood Money, Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Heroes of Might & Magic V, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Titan Quest and Guild Wars.

A word of advice is to not name drop titles, you'll just end up looking silly. And even if you try to counter with "what about boot camp", the other people in this thread get it, but you're so little league and narrow sighted that it's just sad. I don't think you even read this post. I'm sorry, but I can't do anything for you.
I really don't care about any of those games except maybe BF 2. But now all the intel macs can play it, so your argument is gone. My point is that all the BEST multiplayer games are available for macs, except HL and CS. The rest of the titles you mentioned are just B-titles anyway. I really don't care if I miss them.

sxates  (op)
Jun 29, 2006, 01:14 PM

GRAW, FEAR, and Oblivion were "b titles"? Huh?

Psychedeliante
Baninated
Jun 29, 2006, 06:30 PM

Never even heard of anybody talk about Graw or Oblivion. Fear I heard of.... all the hype surrounding it's release, then... nothing. One of those games that promises to be so great and ends up being just another FPS... so in summary, yeah, not really missing any of those b titles.

sxates  (op)
Jun 29, 2006, 08:17 PM

If you don't know about Oblivion, then that's just you not keeping up with gaming at all. A month after it was released they had sold 1.7 million copies of it. It's one of the biggest games of the year.

Psychedeliante
Baninated
Jun 29, 2006, 11:47 PM

Dude. The reason I haven't heard of it is because RPGs are gay as hell. Go fight with your paladins and eunics elsewhere.

sxates  (op)
Jun 30, 2006, 12:40 AM

I haven't played it myself, but geez, to completely dismiss millions of sales because you don't like a genre, that's just dumb. Not everyone is just like you, try to let that sink into your apparently thick head.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 06:52 AM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=switch+parody

A similar type of video. I thought it was funny.

baw
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=switch+parody

A similar type of video. I thought it was funny.
Ray Romano?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by baw
Ray Romano?

Forum Links
Forum Rules