Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Easy solution for Multiple hard drives?

Easy solution for Multiple hard drives?
boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 12:55 AM

Hi all,
I use an external drive for my iTunes music (my iTunes library is on my home directory...I don't think you can have it any other way) My external drive is getting to it's maximum capacity.
I would like to get a bigger hard drive, but I would like to use both drives instead of copying the current library to the new drive, that way I will have 2 drives = more free space.
I know that there are external drives out there that will support 2 or more drives, anyone has any recommendation for one? Can you somehow "combine" both drives and use one library for both?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2006, 01:00 AM

How big is your music collection? 400-500GB external drives can be had for under $200... that's about a year worth of music at 128kbps.

boazh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2006, 01:23 AM

The size of my external drive is 300 GB and apart from my music collection (that include my huge CD collection and purchased itunes music) it now includes videos (since I got the iPod video) like some movies I ripped from my DVD collection as well as TV shows i bought from the iTunes store... I can probably buy a 500 GB HDD for around 200$ but was hoping I can use them both...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by boazh View Post
Hi all,

I know that there are external drives out there that will support 2 or more drives, anyone has any recommendation for one? Can you somehow "combine" both drives and use one library for both?

Get yourself an enclosure that has RAID support.
And go with a Level 0 array.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules