Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro defective screen?

MacBook Pro defective screen?
boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2007, 10:10 PM

Hi there,
I have a 2.33 Ghz MPB w/2GB ram for almost a year now. I got the glossy screen one as soon as they came out last November. I have no issues what so ever with it. I love every second of using it. To clean my screen I use iKlear solution and the special iKlear Micro-Chamois Polishing Cloth Non-damaging, microfiber cloth. When I was cleaning it today I noticed white like spots/scratchs/dust-like that I could not remove, it almost looks like it's under the screen. I took it to the Apple store today and the guy told me that the screen needs to be replaced. I need to bring my MPB back to the store once they get the replacement screen to have them install it. I asked the guy at the Apple store what caused it and he said it's probably a defective screen... I didn't have any issues with this screen until today. I'm going to get the Apple care since my 1 year warranty expires next month, so if this happens again I won't have to pay the $800 it costs to replace it.
Just wondering, anyone else had any issues with their screens? also, is it really a defective screen or can anything else can cause this?
Thanks in advance for any comment.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 04:30 PM

sounds like a defective screen...

Apple has a flat rate repair program... for laptops that aren't damaged accidentally (dents, cracks, etc)... it would be about $324. So if it happens outside of your Applecare or 90 days (you get 90 days on the screen when you get it back), that's how much it will be.

boazh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 10:42 PM

Just came back from the Apple store to pick up my repaired MBP. The guy gave me a recipt that shows the amount that I would have paid if I didn't have a warranty... $788.13 ($713.13 for the screen and $85 for labor) I'm getting my AppleCare next month!

scaredpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2007, 05:12 PM

Good move.

I've pretty much taken the tack that AppleCare is pretty much mandatory when you get an Apple Product and plan to keep it beyond a year. especially given that for just about every product but the iPhone, Apple Support calls cost you money after 90 days without AppleCare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules