Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fashion Arrest

Fashion Arrest
Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 04:46 PM

What is with the baggy pants trend? Some kid just walked into my work with his jeans sagging as low as MID-THIGH. How does he walk? Do these kids think it actually looks cool? It just looks like the have a long torso.

Jeez, I was almost expecting to see them fall or something.

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

plaidpjs
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Ruby:
What is with the baggy pants trend? Some kid just walked into my work with his jeans sagging as low as MID-THIGH. How does he walk? Do these kids think it actually looks cool? It just looks like the have a long torso.

Of course they think it looks cool, otherwise it wouldn't have become a fashion trend. What amazes me about the whol thing is that they still perceive the handyman with butt-crack showing as being a goof, when more than likely they look just about the same when they turn around... hehe

G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

willed
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 05:14 PM

In my day we had sensible fashions...mumble mumble mumble... them were the days. Wouldn's have caught ME walking around in trousers you could go camping in... Did I tell you about the war?

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 05:24 PM

My friend's dad is a lawyer, and he calls that type of pants "probable cause pants."

I like to wear baggy pants myself, but not that baggy. I wear baggier pants because they're more comfortable than tight pants. However, I think that people who "sag" their pants look really stupid, and that they should get themselves either a belt or smaller pants.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 05:26 PM

Look at it this way, then there is no mystery to the question:

Boxers or Briefs?

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
May 31, 2001, 05:45 PM

Yeah I hate that look myself. I can understand a comfortably loose pair of jeans but that whole trend is silly.

I like to refer to it as the "I just crapped my pants" look

I guess things could be worse and we could be back in the 80's Heavy Metal era where people wore spandex pants and had big hair

Mike

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 05:54 PM

in my days, i had to walk 10 miles, uphill both ways, to get pants...

and they fit snuggly damn it....kids these days...

where the hell are my pants?

------------------
"Never cook bacon without a shirt on." -ironknee
KDO

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 31, 2001, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
in my days, i had to walk 10 miles, uphill both ways, to get pants...

and they fit snuggly damn it....kids these days...

where the hell are my pants?
Ah!! Oh, so, so hilarious!

Why did you have to walk uphill to get pants?

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by etphonehome:
My friend's dad is a lawyer, and he calls that type of pants "probable cause pants."
That's funny. LOL.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 31, 2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
Why did you have to walk uphill to get pants?
because that's where the pants trees grow of course. and you'd have to take what you could get.

pants with only one leg.
pants with no pockets.
pants with giant holes in the rear.
pants with ants living in them.

we certainly wouldn't have these fancy chains or button-fly that the kids get nowadays. darn whippersnappers with their GAP stores and knee-high pants.

[This message has been edited by Demonhood (edited 05-31-2001).]

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 06:26 PM

eh???? speak up young man...

we had to walk because we didnt have these new fangled trains.....we walked uphill 30 miles to a a tree called The Tree of Pants.

It was run by this giant 10 stories tall as i am alive...he made my pants too long...god nabbit...then we had to walk uphill back home...

sometimes we would make it home to use the pants to wear...around....before we had to return them.

These kids now are wearing what looks like 2 pairs of pants...at once...where am i?

------------------
KDO

Arty50
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 06:28 PM

This reminds me of another trend at one time: shants. They're either sagging shorts, really long shorts, or really short pants. The basic qualifier is that they must end roughly halfway between the foot and the knee. Not quite shorts and not quite pants, hence shants.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 06:31 PM

they make pants below the knees?

------------------
KDO

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 02:35 AM

i will say that sagging your pants is really comfortable. you should try it. in fact, im ordering everyone to try it! hahaha jk. but really...its comfortable to wear your pants halfway down your butt. i dont know how people wear their pants around their thighs. some people do that tho. but remember...function over form. if its inhibiting the way you walk or do other things, pull em up!

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 02:39 AM

It's actually already out of style, I'm surprised they still wear those. It started around 1995. Now you see the seventies -retro-look pants. With the brown suede jackets we only have to wait for the Ray Bans and the streets are filled with Starskies and Hutches again.

fobside
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
It's actually already out of style, I'm surprised they still wear those. It started around 1995. Now you see the seventies -retro-look pants. With the brown suede jackets we only have to wait for the Ray Bans and the streets are filled with Starskies and Hutches again.
theres no such thing as a style thats in or out in my opinion. it depends who you hang out with that sets a style. skaters tend to wear baggy pants as do thugs or wannabe thugs.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by fobside:
theres no such thing as a style thats in or out in my opinion. it depends who you hang out with that sets a style. skaters tend to wear baggy pants as do thugs or wannabe thugs.
I believe you. The baggy pants have been around for a while and I suppose I don't hang out in that scene ( nor any other). I drive past a huge college everyday and see more and more 70-ties outfits.
So I thought, hey that must be the new style. For myself, I still wear the same T-shirt and jeans as 25 years ago ( well, they look the same anyway)

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 04:29 AM

Greetings,
As much as some of us (myself included) wish this "style" would dry up and blow away in the wind, we may all realize its practicality some day. It doesn't look too good to wear tight 501s while wearing Depends underneath.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2001, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by l'ignorante:
It's actually already out of style, I'm surprised they still wear those. It started around 1995.
No way Jose. That started in 1991 to be exact. It was initially started by the skate scene (check out Plan B's early '90s vids like the Questionable Video for the earliest verifiable record).

Black gangsters at the time were sporting Dickies that they'd sag down around their butt, and gradually adopted the same baggy pants theme that skaters did - though never to such a ridiculous degree.

I had about three pair of 55" waist jeans that I got at the local Sears outlet when I was 15.

Kids today that wear that goofy crap, thinking they're the biggidy bomb, just amaze me with their stupidity. Followers, all of them...

Nowadays we've got 15 year-old kids wearing that stuff while thinking they're somehow innovative, pushing against the grain, showin' them old fogies what's up. Nope. These days the kids who resist that ugliness are way cooler. They're the ones who can Think Different.

[This message has been edited by haunebu (edited 06-01-2001).]

shmerek
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2001, 09:07 AM

The baggy pants don't bug me as much as when they wear them really low. My old roommate used to wear his pants covering half his butt with a belt cinched tight so they wouldn't fall down. Freaking retarded, you can't walk with as much freedom, you have to cut the circulation off to your ass in order to keep your pants up, and everyone gets the pleasure of seeing your gonch nice.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2001, 09:20 AM

Wait. You know how fashions actually kind of come out of something? Culture or event? Like David Bowie doing the androgynous thing kind of sparked up the cross dress style. I can usually point to some event or cause for a particular fashion. WHere in the hell did the huge ass baggy pants belted around the calves thing originate? I'd like to think that David Byrne started that one on the Stop Making Sense tour, but I seriously doubt it. Where did it come from? A friend said it had something to do with prisons or some such. Anyone really know? I'm truly curious.

------------------
"I am not really an actor. I'm merely dyspeptic."

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

jholmes
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2001, 10:22 AM

Having lived through the fashions(?) of the seventies once, I actually don't mind the baggy jeans, compared to a tight lime green polyester leisure suit.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2001, 05:52 PM

Im just glad mosy girls dont wear them as baggy...

------------------
KDO

Ruby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2001, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
Greetings,
As much as some of us (myself included) wish this "style" would dry up and blow away in the wind, we may all realize its practicality some day. It doesn't look too good to wear tight 501s while wearing Depends underneath.
That paints a wonderful picture

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
you have to cut the circulation off to your ass in order to keep your pants up.
That is one of the single greatest quotes I have ever seen. As for the kids in the clown pants, well, they should be put on a large catapult and launched into the sun. Or at least a brick wall.

------------------
-Carpe Jugulum
Nemo me impune lacesset

mindwaves
Jun 1, 2001, 10:25 PM

Semi-baggy clothing I guess is ok in my opinion, but "sagging" one's pants is pathetic. How are they supposed to run in case of a fire? Or in a more real world terms, how do they walk from one place to another without their hands on their waist all of the times? Typically, I just wear some fitting jeans and a polo shirt every day.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2001, 10:39 PM

One of my friends has a pair of SHORTS (yes, shorts) that go down to within 10 cm of his ankle...

My shorts currently extend 1 or 2 cm below the knee.

------------------
Pioneering the Drunken Circle tool.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Forum Links
Forum Rules