Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Recall the first time you used a Mac?

Recall the first time you used a Mac?
Arlo
May 25, 2001, 09:55 AM

...I do. It was college, Freshman year (1985). A kid on my floor had what I'm guesing was the 512k Mac. He showed me MacPaint, printed out something from MacWrite...and it looked *exactly the same as the screen*!. I was hooked...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2001, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Arlo:
...I do. It was college, Freshman year (1985). A kid on my floor had what I'm guesing was the 512k Mac. He showed me MacPaint, printed out something from MacWrite...and it looked *exactly the same as the screen*!. I was hooked...
I had been using Apple ][ series computers since 1979 or so, had grown up programming lots of graphics and little programs in BASIC. I learned how to really screw up a teacher with a simple infinate loop created by a GOTO statement - one of these deals scrolling the screens on all the ][+s in the school:

"WE WANT MORE RECESS"

Or something of the sort.

SO, my first Mac experience was when my dad brought home a Mac Plus. Must have been 86? Can't say right off. All I know is that it was very disappointing at first. I couldn't find the prompt to be able to program! I even said "What good is this, Dad. I can't program and you can't run VisiCalc."

I soon changed my mind though, when I saw MacPaint.

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Arlo  (op)
May 25, 2001, 10:25 AM

I actually owned a C64 thru the early 80s, and still used it in college...but as I started using the Macs we had in the labs, my '64 was starting to collect dust

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 11:31 AM

I was using my dad's brand new 520c. I was very young back then .

------------------

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2001, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
I was using my dad's brand new 520c. I was very young back then .

God I feel old now. I sold 520c's.

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

jeffhot
Senior User
May 25, 2001, 12:15 PM

Well I guess technically the first time I used a Mac was an old Apple ][e that so many schools had when I was younger. It was a pain though, and all I can remember doing was some WPM typing program, Zaxon, and where is the USA is Carmen Sandiego?. That was equivalent to my first experiences with PCs too. Sorta fun, but mostly confusing.

My first time using a modern Mac was in '96 when I went to college. Being a Windows 95 user at the time, I found it all strangely familiar. Hmmm, this Apple menu is quite reminiscent of the Start button! Oooh, a trash can on the Desktop, ehh? And other such ripoffs that Microsoft had hipped me to. I also resolved to not do any word processing on them either, since MS Word crashed on me so much. Oops, there goes another 4 pages!

MacMonster
Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 12:35 PM

In 1997, I still a computer idiot at that time, when I went into a computer shop, I walked in front a computer and used it, then I feel strange, because the menu is at the top of the screen, not at the bottom of the screen with a "Start" button, but I felt the interface was interesting and beautiful !!!

(I think that Macintosh I used is a 9600)

[This message has been edited by MacMonster (edited 05-25-2001).]

Colter
May 25, 2001, 12:43 PM

In second grade (circa 1985) I was learning BASIC and LOGO at school on Apple IIes. My parents had some IBM XT clone. I remember being frustrated that I couldn't bring my disks home from school to work on assignments at home. Even if I couldn't actually run the programs to try them out, the source code is just plain text, right? Why shouldn't I be able to switch back and forth and be able to read a text file?

Jump forward six years. Eighth grade. I was at a friend's house, swapping stories of how we got started programming. I related the above story. My friend smiled and said, "Watch this." He pulled a disk out of his PC and popped it into his IIfx. In the next five seconds, as the 3.5" SuperDrive whirred to life and the disk icon appeared on the desktop, I was forever hooked.

Unfortunately, my friend lost the faith a few years later and fell away to the Dark Side. But before he fell, he not only showed me the light, but he showed me the key to sharing the light: let them use a Mac for themselves, and its power and elegance will speak for itself.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 25, 2001, 01:06 PM

hmmm back in 92 when i recived my performa 575, back then i didnt even know what a computer was

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2001, 02:02 PM

i used apple ]['s back in the day when i was in kindergarten to play lemonade and oregon trail (i killed everyone off every time).

after that it was when i worked at kinkos (95 or so) and gradually starting liking using pagemaker on macs instead of winbox's to do the minor typesetting things i needed to do.

------------------
everyone tells me they're crazy,
crazy people arent so f***ing boring,
wake me when you're through being cool cause im snoring.
-jawbreaker

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2001, 02:11 PM

The first time I used a Mac was in 1989. In elementary school we had a bunch of them. I remember just playing these wierd games.

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2001, 02:24 PM

I'd been using Macs in elementry school, but I was a windows drone till my last year in High School. I was living with my friend due to a dispute with my parents, and he had one of the very first PowerPCs. It used System 7.5 i think. What a Joy it was to use and a huge breath of fresh air from windows 98. That was almost two years ago, and I've gone through two macs and am on my third right now. Going back home was tough, cause my parents had windows 98, but as soon as i got into college, i bought an iMac...and have never revisited the dark side since (well, except at work).

Brandon

C-Eye
Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 02:40 PM

As a freshman in high school (1985) doing basic programming on what I guess was the Apple II series - I didn't even know anything about Apple or computers for that matter...

I didn't really get my hands on a Mac until the IIFX many years later. Then the wonder or Photoshop and non-linear video editing took over my life...

------------------

tietokonetonttu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 02:45 PM

1984 Mac 128, MacDraw 1.0, MacWrite 1.0 and MacPaint 1.0 at university

1983 Apple Lisa (Lisa Office System 7/7; LisaWrite, LisaDraw, LisaCalc, LisaList, etc)

1986 Mac Plus, my first own Mac. Got it exactly week before Chernobyl exploded.

--TKT

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 25, 2001, 09:15 PM

In a used computer store on Telegragh in Berkeley.

A Mac SE with dual floppies which I ended up buying for $2500.

Karen

cwasko
Senior User
May 26, 2001, 12:20 AM

The first Mac I used was a Mac 512k. My father bought one of these when it first came out. My brother and I spent all summer on it playing around with an old synth app called MusicWorks. I actually still have it in disk somewhere. My father bought it with an ImageWriter and an extra 400k drive. $3000 - at a discount, becasue the company he worked for had a deal with the local computer store.

When the Mac Plus came out, we upgraded and my father also purchased a MacBottom 21M Hard Drive. To the day we sold it, we never filled that drive.... my internet cache file is 30M now.

Before the Mac, we had a Timex Sinclair 2000 and a Trash80.

Since then, I've owned an LC II and a Quadra 605. I still own a 7100/80av, a B&W G3 350, and a Bronze PowerBook 333.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 26, 2001, 01:41 AM

I remember programming BASIC on an Apple II as a Freshman in High School, 1984 (?) Anyway, it turns out that I know more about computers than the teacher. I was taking advanced computer programming at the same time, programming PASCAL. She found out and asked me why I was taking her intro computer class. I told her it was this or woodworking witht the flannel shirt crowd.

Well, we had a project to do some animation. I made an ocean, sky, clouds, an island, and an aircraft carrier sailing across the ocean. All that using about 30-35 lines. The class was stunned and the teacher had no clue as to how I did it. I was amused. And bored.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2001, 08:49 AM

I used to have an Apple ][ Europlus clone (with LOWER CASE !) in Hong Kong. It was called a Banana when I first got it, but it soon got a repaint. Then the radio station I worked in got a 512k Fat Mac in '85 and as 'person known to program computers and stuff' I wasked asked to write a bunch of programs for the office on it. Using Microsoft BASIC (which was really good at the time, interupt driven menus, proportional fonts, no line numbers, way ahead of its time). I was already hooked with the Apple ][ stuff, but the Mac made sure of it
Aaron

elzinat
Mac Elite
May 26, 2001, 09:50 AM

my first computer. winter I was in third grade. my parents got a Mac Classic for my (2 yr-)older bro and myself. I had never seen a mouse/GUI before. to my knowledge at the time, computer equalled my dad's Zenith, an intimidating grey box and a small screen that showed flickery green text. The zenith, which now lives in a box under the house, we now refer to as my dad's "paleolithic steam-powered computer"
My Mac Classic still runs

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

Forum Links
Forum Rules