Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Time due for another MacNN FILM COMPETITION!

Time due for another MacNN FILM COMPETITION!
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2001, 07:38 PM

I don't know about everyone else but I want to see more high quality productions from Mac amateurs.

Last year's Film Competition brought the best from the last generation of Loungers. I think newcomers and AI immigrants deserve a second round to show off...and impress Mac Chix (PBD ). In addition, there should be more people with iMovie, 1384 ports and Digi-cams than there was last year, right?
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Arch...27-000324.html

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2001, 07:50 PM

Can I enter the music video my friend and I made? It already is one of the Best of Show winners in the Michigan Student Film & Video Festival.

P.S. It's 1394, not 1384.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2001, 08:32 PM

Hell yeah! Let's do it. I have a 75 Gig hard drive now and much more experience with iMovie. What should the new categories consist of? Here are my suggestions at the top of my head:

Music Videos
Macintosh Commercials - Something like "Middle Seat." Everyone always complains about Apple's commercials. Let's see you do better!
Misc - For everything else.

Of course each category should be split between Final Cut Pro and iMovie just like last time.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2001, 09:10 PM

We'll call the FCP category the "People Who Know What They're Doing" category and the iMovie category the "Loser" category. J/K of course!
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Demonhood
Administrator
May 25, 2001, 09:16 PM

this is a great idea. i'll pass it on and see what we can get going.

------------------

We have a Graphics & Illustration Forum. Share the glory.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2001, 12:19 AM

I think this competition should be an OPEN for any topic, as long as it comes from the community in this forum. So, anything is allowed: music videos, pro-Mac, anti-Mac, Bill Gates, funnies, Star Wars, Kubrick, Lego, 3D, black&white, Russian astronauts, Mexican mariachis, The Simpsons, even XXX

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2001, 12:54 AM

I agree!

We'll get something going, maybe we can even set up a gallery so that everyone can see the entries!

tooki

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2001, 02:55 PM

Would somebody post links to the movie entries from last year?

MinM
Forum Regular
May 26, 2001, 03:08 PM

Here's the trailer for my latest film.

Does that draw your interest?

(That's not me in the movie, I filmed and edited it.)

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 26, 2001, 03:10 PM

How bout a Photoshop competition?

I suck at anything that moves.

------------------
Unconsiousness is bliss.

Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2001, 04:02 PM

Albert,

Aren't there things like that in the Graphics & Illustration forum?

MinM,

Yeah, that's cool. What kind of "bad things" has the main character done

I am also interested in seeing "The Sun King" completed, looks more dynamic. Is "TSK" supposed to be a comedy or a drama?

[This message has been edited by The Godfather (edited 05-26-2001).]

MinM
Forum Regular
May 26, 2001, 04:21 PM

Yeah, that's cool. What kind of "bad things" has the main character done
I won't get into specifics, but I'll quote a line from the movie:

No, no, this was insane! She was a doll, I was a man! Kids should be playing with her, not me...

I am also interested in seeing "The Sun King" completed, looks more dynamic. Is "TSK" supposed to be a comedy or a drama?
The Sun King is a silent film of sorts, having no dialogue, but only music and text breaks. It is a drama.

Unfortunatley, my films are too long to post on the web. If I suddenly come into an assload of $$$, I'll set up a G4 with OSX server to stream them over fiber-optic cable...

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 02:52 AM

I want to make a movie titled "Pencil Test 2" but with OSX and a Cube. I have the software and most of the media resources, but I don't have a story or a script. I don't know what character to animate instead of a pencil. I was thinking of the scissors, the dogcow or one of the color balls on the top left corner of a window, but I haven't got an idea of what to make them do around a cube running OSX (the pics are from the Cube commercial).

Could somebody help me by suggesting characters and/or suggesting a script for "Pencil Test 2"

People, don't be afraid of entering this competition. It is just for fun and we don't mean you to submit a whole 2-hour presentation. A 30-second preview of a ficticious movie would suffice. Maybe you can hack the preview of "Cats and Dogs" and make it into a "Macs and PCs" preview with PC geeks running after Mac geeks, trying to destroy each other computers.
Can we be creative?

[This message has been edited by The Godfather (edited 05-29-2001).]

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2001, 12:37 PM

Well, my friend and I have made a few projects in FCP. Last year for our senior History class we made a couple, and our very first project revolved around a dog and a song. Not too great but its't fun.

I don't mind not being the best (cause I'm sure many of you are better) but I'd like to show you guys what we've made. Not to mention, this is a perfect opportunity to show off our latest idea (which hasn't hit development yet, but this summer is a perfect opportunity).

How long will it go for (the contest I mean)?

------------------

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 12:40 PM

This is a pretty good idea I have iMovie but will have to get a little more familiar with it. Will there be awards??

------------------
Ruby
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 04:09 PM

Xeo,

I am not the best in moviemaking either. I don't even have a complete script, but I think I will go with the OSX scissors. I want to get started with 3D animation in 3D Studio (PC ) and overlaying on existing movies. It will be a difficult task and it may take a long time.

Ruby,

I don't even know if there were awards for last year. I do know that, then, the movies had to be hosted by their own creators in their own servers since there was not such a thing as iTools at the time. I am guessing that as soon as the first movie is submitted, it will be uploaded to a MacNN Homepage.mac account for everyone to download it from there.

Are you listening Demonhood? What are the chances to get a TiBook from Apple?

Demonhood
Administrator
May 29, 2001, 04:22 PM

It looks like there were prizes last year, but they fell through. Not sure what we'd do about prizes this year, but I'll see what happens. Perhaps some fresh fruit. Or some candy canes. Or maybe even a shiny quarter.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 04:44 PM

How about a golden dollar? I still don't own one of those

Zigmanx001
Forum Regular
May 29, 2001, 05:31 PM

How do we enter? Just post it here?
-Al LeVine
Shpadoinkle.net

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 29, 2001, 06:21 PM

Yes, just go ahead and post the link here.

If it becomes huge or something we can always start a new thread.

Maybe I can get Monish to put a blurb about this contest on the front page...

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Demonhood
Administrator
May 31, 2001, 02:07 AM

Ok, so don't post your entries quite yet. Let's come up with some categories for this thing.

Last year it looks like they had:

Computer related, iMovie (meaning created by iMovie), Pro (premiere, Final Cut Pro, EditDV, whatever) and off-topic. How about these for topics:

1) Apple/Computer Related (one or both?)
2) Music Video
3) Animation (if enough people want it)
4) Pro (with fancy FCP effects and explosions and nude pets)
5) Off-topic / free for all

I want no more than 5 topics. So if you have suggestions, limit it to your top five. As things currently exist, there are no prizes. But if anyone would like to donate *hint hint* some prizes, no one would refuse them (depending on the legality of such a thing).

So, let me hear your suggestions for topics. Once I decide on the top 5, an announcement will be made (in the forum and probably on the front page too) about the contest, and a new thread will be started. Sound good?

[This message has been edited by Demonhood (edited 05-31-2001).]

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
Ok, so don't post your entries quite yet. Let's come up with some categories for this thing.

Last year it looks like they had:

Computer related, iMovie (meaning created by iMovie), Pro (premiere, Final Cut Pro, EditDV, whatever) and off-topic. How about these for topics:

2) Music Video

I want no more than 5 topics. So if you have suggestions, limit it to your top five. As things currently exist, there are no prizes. But if anyone would like to donate *hint hint* some prizes, no one would refuse them (depending on the legality of such a thing).

So, let me hear your suggestions for topics. Once I decide on the top 5, an announcement will be made (in the forum and probably on the front page too) about the contest, and a new thread will be started. Sound good?

[This message has been edited by Demonhood (edited 05-31-2001).]
They look good, although I tend to think that if not too many movies are submitted you will have to lump some categories together. Hope many people start shooting and submit entries.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2001, 04:58 AM

One entry already in...hope to see more

------------------
Erik K. Veland
That's no ordinary rabbit

MacNN Film Comptetition - Music Videos. Check my submission!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2001, 05:14 AM

Sorry erik, but this is NOT the official thread for the MacNN film competition. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I'd like to keep the competition in a central area once it begins. We haven't even decided on categories yet.

So, for anyone viewing this thread, please visit: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/003175.html
and tell me what categories you'd like to see. Once that has been decided, I'll start a new thread and we'll get this ball rolling. (also, this will be announced off of the main macnn page, most likely. so that'll attract even more entries.)

You can enter your videos and discuss methods/software/etc.. when I start the actual thread.

I'll probably shut down this thread in a little bit. Hope ya understand.
Grrrr.... I thought we agreed on these five categories:

2) Music Video

Music Videos is destined to be a category anyways, since it's been mentioned in all the suggestions.

I can't believe you want one thread for the whole competition. If you don't want separate threads in the lounge, why not open up a temporary Competition forum? I mean...SETI has one...who cares about that then? It's the least active forum around...

Sorry about being so agressive.

------------------
Erik K. Veland

MacNN Film Comptetition - Music Videos. Check my submission!

Demonhood
Administrator
May 31, 2001, 06:07 AM

e r i k and i have discussed things, so we're cool
erik was just really really enthusiastic about getting things going.

so, the categories are still in debate. i'm sure that music video will eventually be a category, since i believe it to be one of the most fun (that, and you don't need speaking actors).

the whole competition probably won't be one big thread. i'm going to discuss how to best handle this with the other mods and monish to see what we can work out.

keep the feedback coming...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2001, 06:20 AM

Yes, things are cool now. Hope prematurley posting my video didn't hurt my chances...hehe. Let's see a new forum for the compo now

I'd vote for the first three categories, or perhaps a separate animation category too (No flash intros please Though, flash animated flicks can be entered.)

Music Videos
Macintosh Commercials
Fun & Misc.
Animation.

------------------

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 06:32 AM

Hey Demonhood, when you set up the host for the movies, don't forget to include a download counter for each of the movies.

Demonhood
Administrator
May 31, 2001, 05:33 PM

Movie storage is something to be discussed. If anyone exceeds the 20MB they have on their iDisk, we can try to work something out spacewise. There are plenty of members who have additional server space (me included) who would probably be willing to donate some temporarily. So if you create a movie and can't host it, let us know and we'll work it out.

Any more suggestions regarding the topics? This contest is going to start pretty darn soon me thinks.

bushwhacker
Jun 1, 2001, 03:19 AM

Some ideas for different movie types:

movie trailer. it could be for a movie that doesn't exist.
advertisement. similarly, could be for a fake product.
instructional video. teach everyone how to do something (not sex, please)
short cartoon episode. i'd love to see someone's "thunder cats" 2 minute episode or something. that'd be great fun. kinda tricky to do though.

That last one is more content driven than anything, I suppose, but what's wrong with that really?

Sorry if any/all of these were already suggested, but sometimes I just don't have the energy to read the entire thread before I respond.

------------------
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
http://www.ecommunitas.com/~alex - my personal site
http://write.ecommunitas.com - a writer's forum
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

when you look this good, you don't have to know anything

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 1, 2001, 03:26 PM

OK, I think this is going to be it (unless someone speaks up):

1) Computer Related (apple commercials, etc..)
2) Music Video
3) Animation
4) Movie Trailer
5) Everything Else - The Misc Category

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 02:27 AM

Those categories sound great! I have just one question. What's the deadline for submitting your movie(s)?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2001, 04:34 AM

Also... since this is informal, can we used copyrighted music for the amateur type vids? I mean, some of use aren't gonna go public (i.e., film fests) with these...

All in good fun of course...

cp

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2001, 01:18 PM

Ooo Ooo!! Can I make a "MacNN Movie Competition" web page?

I can link to all the movies that get posted here, so viewing them all will be a snap, or, instead of posting the movies here people can just e-mail me the URLs.

I'd be willing to take design suggestions, but I can whip one up if the categories are set.

Sorry, I'm not going to register a domain for it, but I will get a free one (ie. macnnmov.dyndns.org) or something like that.

Let me know. I won't start till I get an "OK" from someone.

------------------

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2001, 03:25 PM

I'll need some hosting for my 34MB MPEG.
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2001, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by cpatubo:
Also... since this is informal, can we used copyrighted music for the amateur type vids? I mean, some of use aren't gonna go public (i.e., film fests) with these...

All in good fun of course...

cp
I guess that works. I would hate to make my own music because I can't. But if you want to be extra-considerate, show the song credits "Strawbery Fields are belong to The Beatles" or something like that.

Xeo, that's a question only the Administrators could answer.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 5, 2001, 06:30 PM

just making sure no one thinks i've forgotten about this... *top*

in regards to the copyrighted music thing.....i'd have to discuss it with the other mods/admins. my view is that as long as you make mention of who it belongs to in the video (credits) or on the webpage you host it on, then it seems fine to me. i can't rightly expect everyone to create their own original music (or find suitable public domain music).
anyhow, since there are currently no prizes, it wouldn't be that illegal since you wouldn't be profiting from someone else's song.

i'm going to wait until all the UBB 6 upgrades/tweaks/etc.. have been completed before the contest can begin. we don't want to bring in a whole bunch of traffic and slow things down even further.

and the categories are pretty much set. unless someone has a brilliant idea, i'm gonna go with the ones i posted a few posts up.

ZO
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -
:
<STRONG>Yes, things are cool now. Hope prematurley posting my video didn't hurt my chances...hehe. Let's see a new forum for the compo now </STRONG>
Holy crap ERIC, damn good music/video. I just find that the chick(s) kinda ruin it. Its all alternative then you have the chicks normally dancing. Doesnt really fit in IMO. Otherwise, the music is alternative and fun and the rest of the footage is damn good. Way to go!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2001, 11:17 AM

&lt;bump&gt;

It's getting down to the end of the page.

So, anyone want me to make a web page or not?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2001, 04:28 AM

Holy crap ERIC, damn good music/video. I just find that the chick(s) kinda ruin it. Its all alternative then you have the chicks normally dancing. Doesnt really fit in IMO. Otherwise, the music is alternative and fun and the rest of the footage is damn good. Way to go!
Thanks for the kind words... The chicks are there because we needed a "story" to the movie. Having the story in video-quality kind of separated it from the "wild" clips and also saved us a lot of rendering...

OK, so the story is rather lame, but it was just a first attempt at a music-video, and I still like it even though it has a little amateurish feel to it

When will the compo start? You told me that this would be the week, next week perhaps then? Don't let it fade into obscurity people!

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 7, 2001, 05:01 AM

don't worry, i'm watching this thread it won't fade away.

xeo, sure, you can make a page. i'm pretty sure we're gonna stick with the forum for disseminating information, but if you want to consolidate things as they go, that's cool too.

i was planning on starting the contest once the UBB tweaks had been finished and a server upgrade took place (if necessary). if it seems as if that's not gonna happen for like a month or something, then i'll just up and start it monday

when this thing goes official, we'll have a whole special forum to ourselves. ooooh, i can't wait!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2001, 08:16 AM

I vote for an animation catagory!

And im up for the iMovie and FCP catagorys (^v^)

woot!

-Owl

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2001, 08:27 AM

OK, here s my suggestion for design on the Film Compo: http://www.wigwammultimedia.f2s.com/MacNN/

Boring? Perhaps. But it has to tie in with MacNN somehow...and you all love the simple layout from the responses to the NFN-takeover

Of course, as the contest progresses there will be more exciting stuff in the content frame...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2001, 03:41 AM

Grrr...letting the thread slip again...

&lt;bump&gt;

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2001, 02:34 PM

It's monday already. Where's the competition?

&lt;rebump&gt;

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2001, 03:00 PM

Yeah, come on! Let's do this thing! By the way, are there actually going to be prizes?
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 11, 2001, 03:43 PM

you're right, it is monday. but the hardware upgrade hasn't happened yet. we don't want new people coming to check out the contest to be bogged down by the glacial speed of the current server.

i'm working on the rules and possible prizes at the moment. we might start the contest without any prizes in place and then just pray to Zeus that we can secure some. we'll have to see. i know how anxious everyone (me included) is about this.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2001, 08:36 AM

What about comments on my design?

Good enough to be official?

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 22, 2001, 04:55 PM

something like that erik. not quite sure how i'm gonna do it yet.

the competition will happen. it'd just be pure folly to start it with the forums as slow as they currently are.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 2, 2001, 04:10 PM

the new server is flying in from imaginary land to reality very shortly.

i'm editing the contest guidelines so we'll be ready to go once the new machine goes online.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2001, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>the new server is flying in from imaginary land to reality very shortly.

i'm editing the contest guidelines so we'll be ready to go once the new machine goes online.</STRONG>
Well...you got my attention.
Where do I enter...what are the rules?
I use iMovie so I guess that is already a good thing huh
The trailer for our latest movie can be viewed here.
(Near Day II)

We are nearly finished with our next movie witch has already won one award for best cinematography when only in the preview stage.
We are hoping to finish it soon. A lot of time and effort creeps into these things when you haven't got a lot of money and I'm very happy to see that people are really interested in these kinds of things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules