Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > clock only show military time?

clock only show military time?
Zoom
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 01:04 AM

My menu bar clock reads "00:10 AM". What's up with that? I see no way under the Date & Time preferences to toggle between regular and military time. Is this a bug? I'm using a network time server, could that be the problem? That's very annoying.
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2001, 01:11 AM

No, change it in your International settings.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Han's Hands on Leia ]

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 02:37 AM

Like "Han's�" said:

System Preferences > International > Time : 12-Hour clock

limbotron
Dec 5, 2001, 02:59 AM

the logic of not having the military/standard time switch in date/time is almost microsoftian.

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2001, 04:12 AM

I also thought it was forgotten. Well at least it is in another control panel. I don�t know how Apple does that kind of things. They have always been a model for interface desing and then such things...

Regards
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2001, 08:34 AM

Since this isn't military time, it is logical to have this in the international preferences
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 02:54 PM

Yes, the International prefs panel seems to be the right place. But unfortunately, my prefs panel is set to "12-hour" clock and all the other correct settings, but right now my clock still reads "13:59 PM". The whole "PM" thing makes no sense on a military clock, and furthermore it disagrees with my prefs settings! WTF??

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 02:56 PM

I just turned off the "network time signal" option, reset the time, and now it correctly shows "2:04 PM". I think it's a glitch with the network time signal. It might even be regional, depending on how many sources there are for time.

Anyone else see this?

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2001, 03:18 PM

I noticed this happen yesterday on my Powerbook...I had put in a new hard drive, re-installed everything, and suddenly I noticed it was 19 o'clock. The 12-hour button was selected in the Control Panel...I just selected "24" then "12" again and it seems to be fixed. Weird, though...

--J

udecker
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2001, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by Zoom:
<STRONG>I just turned off the "network time signal" option, reset the time, and now it correctly shows "2:04 PM". I think it's a glitch with the network time signal. It might even be regional, depending on how many sources there are for time.

Anyone else see this?</STRONG>
Actually - this just happened to a friend of mine. In the international prefs, it SAID 12-hour... once he switched it to 24-hour and then back to 12-hour, it was fixed. It's collaboration problem between what the UI says it is, and how it's stored. Once you toggle it once, it's fixed forever.

-uD

Forum Links
Forum Rules