Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac monitor loses focus

eMac monitor loses focus
scip
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 01:35 PM

I have an eMac that completely loses focus after about 30 minutes. If you restart the machine, the display comes back clearly, only to lose focus again.

This seems to be a hardware problem. Is this a known issue with eMacs? What is the typical course of action to get it repaired? CRT replacement?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 09:05 AM

It has something to do with the tube heating up so it gets a little distortion. I don't know anything about the eMac so I can't say much about it. But if there is some settings you can do to improve the picture, do it after the 30 minutes of warming up.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by scip:
I have an eMac that completely loses focus after about 30 minutes. If you restart the machine, the display comes back clearly, only to lose focus again.

This seems to be a hardware problem. Is this a known issue with eMacs? What is the typical course of action to get it repaired? CRT replacement?
What Revision eMAc is that ?
When did you buy it ?
Specs ?

-t

scip  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
What Revision eMAc is that ?
When did you buy it ?
Specs ?

-t
It's a client's machine and I don't know if they'll know when they got it exactly. I can try to find out the Rev., but that would mean I'd have to go to the client site (I posted only after hearing from the client on the phone, as it sounded like a hardware issue and not something I could solve by doing routine Mac troubleshooting).

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 10:33 AM

Sounds like defective crt circuitry, Probably a component that has too much leakage current when it gets hot. Only a warranty or lots of money will fix it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 11:22 AM

When I think of it, I have seen the same thing on a CRT. It needed to be sent in. Unfortunately the repair guy where I worked didn't take the time to let it heat up before it judged the situation, so the CRT went back and forth several times until the moron sent it in. If the eMac have the same problem, it most definitive needs to get fixed. I've seen how bad the distortion can get on a faulty monitor.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules