Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > BEST SUV or Pickup Truck

BEST SUV or Pickup Truck (Page 2)
ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Hella-expensive.

ihatesuvs68
Baninated
Jul 4, 2005, 08:08 PM

After giving this more consideration, I'd recommend getting a real truck, not any of the toys already mentioned. This is what I drive.

Plastic garbage. Here's my dad's:

72 Freightliner, suspension from a peterbuilt (air suspension now), adjustable steering column from a new volvo, seating from a new volvo, custom interior in white and blue, custom paint, polished aluminum rims with low profile tires, twin 5" polished stainless lakepipes, NOS grill, custom front bumper, all the bolts on the entire exterior of the vehicle are stainless/ground smooth/polished and aligned vertically, and a frame so clean you can eat off of it.

Fully boxed frame, all welds for the hitch ground smooth and the entire chassis/suspension was detailed (sandblasted, painted or clearcoated if it was aluminum).

Exhaust. It sounds mean. In the future it might be getting some fuel injectors into the pipes and a couple spark plugs so it can dump fire out both sides on command. This isn't a work truck, but a show truck, and it's only used to pull my dad's boat (matching paintjobs).
( Last edited by ihatesuvs68; Jul 4, 2005 at 08:36 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2005, 08:30 PM

Naturally, your first comment at someone else's post is to point out that you have something superior, and to denigrate what they post. You'll obviously never change.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ihatesuvs68
Baninated
Jul 4, 2005, 08:35 PM

Naturally, your first comment at someone else's post is to point out that you have something superior, and to denigrate what they post. You'll obviously never change.
Sorry dude, I meant to include a winky smiley. Editing now.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ihatesuvs68
Plastic garbage. Here's my dad's:

Hey, it's Ultra Magnus!

Railroader
Banned
Jul 4, 2005, 11:49 PM

I think I know why some of you guys hate SUVs. I often get stuck in traffic and have to follow this guy into work a couple days a week.

In addition to the stupid stickers on his taillights and back window, we have this gem of a license plate:
( Last edited by Railroader; Jul 5, 2005 at 09:50 AM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar
Good catch, honda seems to have a legacy of many vehicles with the minimum power.

SNIP

You can make any vehicle look bad comparing it to a $70K luxury or one in a different class.
I didn't make my point specific enough: I was simply stating that you CAN have a pretty potent engine (the 275-hp V8 with 332 lb ft of torque in the Lexus) and maintain LEV-2 status. So, Honda *could* have made it more potent without compromising the emissions control.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 10:52 AM

I don't like the swoosh that the Ridgeline has next to the cab. Looks weird. And don't get a Dodge. Every friend that's ever had one has had to get it serviced all the time.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 11:06 AM

I have a 2004 Durango and a 2005 Magnum. Neither has been touched by a Mopar technician except to have the oil changed and the tires rotated. I love them.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 11:30 AM

Nothing wrong with my 2004 Durango ('cept the 2 recalls on them).

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 11:33 AM

What trim level you have? I bought the wife the SLT Limited/Hemi. Pretty sweet and pretty damn fast!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 01:17 PM

I got the SLT 4x4 Hemi, but not Limited. However, I do have the Limited trim inside; helps to know people at Chrysler So instead of the stupid wood looking plastic, I have the brushed aluminum panels on the dash.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 01:37 PM

You can always look into this.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
So instead of the stupid wood looking plastic, I have the stupid brushed aluminum looking panels on the dash.
Fixed.

Is it real aluminum? I'm not sure, it's just that usually it's just painted silver.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by zwiebel_
You can always look into this.
I like the design, but that website sucks.

"aggressive grille" Woop de doo.
"Available power mirrors" Wow this thing is TOUGH
"fuel tank and transfer case" k... um... so?
"near flat windshield" Why is that better?
"Black bumpers with brushed metal accents" yes, see, in order to read, I have to be able to see. And I could see that without the text explaining it.

Ugh.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Fixed.

Is it real aluminum? I'm not sure, it's just that usually it's just painted silver.

correct, it is still plastic; but it now matches the handle trim and accents of the stock trim. why they put the fake wood in, i'll never know. the new 2005's don't have it (at least the stock SLTs i've seen). guess i had the (un)lucky year.

but at least mine came with turn signals; that work too!

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil

but at least mine came with turn signals; that work too!

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 5, 2005, 04:10 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions for my SUV / Pickup Truck.

This thread is now about how many screen names SUV haters have.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:26 PM

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 04:53 PM

Too bad we don't get an STi version of the forester over here. Oh well. The XT is plenty o' fun.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 04:56 PM

"U"gly.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 04:59 PM

I like the design, but that website sucks.

"aggressive grille" Woop de doo.
"Available power mirrors" Wow this thing is TOUGH
"fuel tank and transfer case" k... um... so?
"near flat windshield" Why is that better?
"Black bumpers with brushed metal accents" yes, see, in order to read, I have to be able to see. And I could see that without the text explaining it.

Ugh.
No-one asked you to click the link. You may, since you think you're a marketing genius, let Toyota know that you don't like the site and the way you would have done it.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 5, 2005, 05:24 PM

Zwiebel. No need to get so defensive. I like the design of the thing, but that website is all fluff without any real stats or interesting design features (of which I'm sure there are many).

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 05:37 PM

Zwiebel. No need to get so defensive. I like the design of the thing, but that website is all fluff without any real stats or interesting design features (of which I'm sure there are many).
No problemo

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 03:21 AM

the new toyota tacoma. so nice to drive

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 04:29 AM

when i buy a pickup, then i will buy this one. it will outlive us.

toyota hilux. i've seen them driving all over the world so they must be very reliable. it's the same pickup that TopGear deemed "indestructable". For my future world-trip : this is the car to do it with
( Last edited by PB2K; Jul 6, 2005 at 09:37 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

finboy
Jul 6, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I've always been partial to Ford trucks. I've had a Sport Trac and an Expedition, my dad has a F-150 and a F-350. I like them all. I used my trucks for pulling Jet Skis and a boat, and my dads trucks are used for pulling horse trailers. They've all been very reliable so far. Before the F-150, my dad had a Durango, and it was very unreliable, and is now on its second motor.
Me too, partial to Fords, that is. But my 2002 Ranger is turning out to be a POS - 5 serpentine belts in 55K miles. I'm really not too hot on Ford right now.

AT LEAST I didn't make the mistake of getting a 4WD Ranger.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman

Wow this puts the 'ugly' in 'Fugly'
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 10:13 PM

Looks approximately 100,000,000,000,000,000 times better than these:

And it accelerates, brakes, and handles light years ahead of them. And it gets better MPG. And it's safer. And it's got just about as much usable interior space. And it doesn't look like you're driving a vehicle to make up for your tiny dick.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 11:51 PM

I like the Hummer. Got a problem with that? Write customer service or call them.

1-800-GoFscukyourself

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 01:51 AM

Here we go again with the "tiny dick" theory...

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 02:45 AM

I dont get this whole, OMG I HATE SUV's thing...

First off, I doubt your lil car is as safe. If my Lifted truck, or my lifted Jeep for that matter were to have a head on collision with some econo box, I know I would come out on top, literally.

Secondly, It may handle and brake better, but I highly doubt it out accelerates my truck. Lets take your econo box, vs. my truck with 4000 lb load and a trailer with 4 quads on the back and see who is faster. I have another car that will out accelerate, brake, and handle that Forester any day of the week.

Do you honestly care if they get bad mileage? Are you paying for it? Didnt think so.

Josh

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 07:47 AM

it was on the news yesterday that a dutch car-importer started importing some REALLY CHEAP Chinese SUV's. Prices start at 17.000 Euro's, for a SUV !!!!!!! -> that's HALF the price of a western SUV.

the could read te name "Landwind" on it's spare wheel.

brace yourself for more and more layoffs at car manufacturers

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kappa4life
I dont get this whole, OMG I HATE SUV's thing...

First off, I doubt your lil car is as safe. If my Lifted truck, or my lifted Jeep for that matter were to have a head on collision with some econo box, I know I would come out on top, literally.
And that's EXACTLY where you're 100% wrong. If you have a high center of gravity, you're more likely to flip over. MOST car accidents arent' two cars colliding, but a car going off the road. And if you have a high CG, you're going to flip. And considering federal roof standards haven't increased since 1972, you're probably going to get hurt really bad. Both trucks you mentioned have FRAMES, which are very rigid to handle offroad/towing/heavy duty use. These rigid pieces of metal also don't crumple very well, which means a lot more of the forces in an accident are transferred directly to the passenger compartment. By statistics alone, not including injuries, you are THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO DIE while riding or driving in an SUV than in the average 'car'.

Secondly, It may handle and brake better, but I highly doubt it out accelerates my truck. Lets take your econo box, vs. my truck with 4000 lb load and a trailer with 4 quads on the back and see who is faster.
Is this a joke? Back when I had a 1997 SOHC neon with a 5spd, a big ford with a triton V8 tried to race me. I destroyed him. It was pretty sad actually. A 4 cylinder econobox with a stock engine is faster than some pimped out redneck truck with a v8. As for the forester STi beating your truck, that's just a joke. We don't have a forester STi in the states, instead we have a toned down version of it called the forester XT. It has a turbocharged 2.5 liter, and it pumps out 210hp (the Japenese version pumps out 270), yet even with only 210hp, it accelerates to 60mph in just 5.3 seconds. Considering the STi version has 60 more hp, I'd wager to say that there is not a snowball's chance in hell your trucks are faster than this vehicle. It also comes stock with 7.5" of ground clearance, which is more than most SUVs.

I have another car that will out accelerate, brake, and handle that Forester any day of the week.
So you have another car that can hit 60mph from a standstill in under 5.3 seconds and fly through the traps at 96.4mph in only 13.9 seconds?

The forester XT is a VERY fast car. The STi version is even faster. I don't think you know what you're talking about. Again. Please stick to sports topics.

Do you honestly care if they get bad mileage? Are you paying for it? Didnt think so.
Yes. We're all paying for it. We all share this planet, and SUVs piss away our resources a lot faster than we need to be doing. There is absolutely zero reason to drive a bigass SUV or truck everyday back and forth to work for MOST PEOPLE. Sure, some people need the utilitarian uses of a truck, but I promise you that all these soccer moms driving lincoln navigators DONT NEED THEM.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 09:30 AM

2005 Ford F150 4 door pickup

this is what i"ll be getting to replace my old 2 door explorer...waiting until August for the best deals on getting a 2005 model on clearance.

EDIT:

I may wait until Ford comes out with a diesel engine for the F150, my brother in law has a F250 4 door pickup the size of a tank with a diesel engine that gets better mileage than my 2 door esplorer. (19 mpg)...which for a truck the size of a tank is excellent.

I don't need a F250 though, and I don't personally like the design of the F250, but the diesels seem to be the way to go for better mileage. Ford is working on a 4 cylinder diesel engine for the F150 but I'm not sure when it will be available, but the fuel mileage is supposed to be excellent.

Diesel lately costs more than unleaded, but that changes, sometimes diesel is less than gasoline, but the higher MPG really makes a diesel engine more economic than gasoline IF you do alot of driving (The car compainies charge a huge premium for diesel so for it to payback for you, you really have to do alot of driving to make it a better deal economically).
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Jul 7, 2005 at 10:01 AM. )

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 09:44 AM

Nice.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy

2005 Ford F150 4 door pickup

this is what i"ll be getting to replace my old 2 door explorer...waiting until August for the best deals on getting a 2005 model on clearance.
Isn't Ford doing the "Ford Family Plan", like GM? Your best bet at getting the best price may be sooner rather than later.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/?bannerid=FV80002

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 09:59 AM

cool car. you know, this thread make me want a pickup

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
Isn't Ford doing the "Ford Family Plan", like GM? Your best bet at getting the best price may be sooner rather than later.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/?bannerid=FV80002
nah, that only saves me 50 bucks, at least when I checked yesterday, I had a pretty good deal worked out on a new F150 on a lot, so I asked again what it would be with the Family Plan that ford just announced and the savings was only 50 bucks compared to what the dealer was asking the week before.

i.e. the dealer was going to be making more money letting Ford eat the discounts he was previously giving himself.

So I will wait further until August for the final close out specials.

With what gas prices are you have tremendous bargaining power on these large trucks as they just can't sell them.

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 03:05 PM

Suvsr4terrorists,

I understand where you are coming from completely. Dont get me wrong, and your points on the safety makes sense. I didnt entirely think of that.

However, a diesel truck, that has about 600 hp, 1000ft lbs of torque, and runs 12s in quarter. Somewhat fast in my eyes. And I know the STi is fast. Just saying that a 6000 lb truck that can run 12s isnt exactly slow. And I DO know what im talking about. And ya, I believe my M3 will run a 13.9 in the standing quarter mile.

And I COMPLETELY agree that half of the soccer moms out there dont need the SUV's they own. But there are some of us who do need the functions of a truck. I understand where you are coming from. And I do know that there are many fast STi's running around, just know that there are plenty of fast trucks. Im not a honky driving a big ol' truck. I use it to haul stuff, and ya, its fast as hell.

Thanks again.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 03:14 PM

What is it? Have timeslips?

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 03:40 PM

03 duramax with Edge module, dual exhaust, propane injection, nitrous, intake, exhaust, Aurora turbo, ATS tranny etc..

I dont have timeslips for my truck, but here is a comparable truck running low 12s.

http://duramaxracing.com/[email protected]

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 03:43 PM

Holy ****. That's a fast truck..... but... uh... why? With such poor braking and handling, that much speed must be pretty dangerous. Why not have a fast car and a normal truck?

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 04:05 PM

Ya, its fast, but a lot of us do these mods to increasing our towing capabilities. Its a lot easier to tow 20K lbs with that much power vs. stock. It just so happens, with no load, they are fast Its kinda like a semi, they use all that power when loaded down, but with just the tractor and not the trailer, they are relatively fast.

Josh

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 04:18 PM

Yeah, but semis don't put out much HP, only a ton of torque.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 04:20 PM

600bhp / 1000torque... not much hp.

What makes me laugh at you so much is the fact that you had no idea that this truck could be so fast, yet you are a self-proclaimed encyclopedia of automobilia... You don't have much credibility, except when it comes to being obsessive and fanatical in your beliefs.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 04:22 PM

I'm not a truck guy, because I've always lived near a road, and not needed to tow anything. That said, there must be SO MANY 600hp/1000 ft lb trucks running around, right budster? Everyone has one, right?

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 04:24 PM

Well to be honest, there are more than you think. Out of an every day diesel truck it is rather easy and halfway cheap to get those numbers. Come here to where I live which is 70% trucks and almost every other one has something or another done to it.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 04:25 PM

So you admit you don't know trucks. Only thing you know about SUVs you have learned from this one book. Face it, you are a zealot wacked out religous freak about this SUV thing. Take a pill.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by kappa4life
Well to be honest, there are more than you think. Out of an every day diesel truck it is rather easy and halfway cheap to get those numbers. Come here to where I live which is 70% trucks and almost every other one has something or another done to it.
Sure, truck owners often mod things, but not to the extent you mention. I highly doubt that anywhere near most trucks are putting out that much power. In fact, I'd say the vast majority (over 90%) are pretty close to stock, drivetrain wise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules