Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > FINALLY switched to apple

FINALLY switched to apple
fr33daddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2005, 06:41 PM

after a solid year's worth of waiting and researching, i ordered a 12" PB yesterday.

ive been reading the forums for a while, and posting, but it will be nice to finally be able to read and post FROM a mac.

anyway, thought i'd share the good news.

~free$

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2005, 06:50 PM

congrats.

just got my 15" the other day too

kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2005, 06:55 PM

Congrats, I just got my 12" PB about a month and a half ago. And last weekend I went and got a new iMac. Its an addiction. Anyway, enjoy it

Josh

tcphoto
Jul 9, 2005, 07:00 PM

There is no on/off switch to genius. What took you so long?

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2005, 07:10 PM

well, i graduated from high school in may 2004 and got a PC as my graduation present. at that point i didnt really know much about macs and hadn't ever really been exposed to one. shortly after i met someone with a powerbook and i was converted the second i saw the thing. unfortunately, i had this brand new desktop PC so there was no way i could ask my parents for a PB, and i couldnt afford it myself.

so, eventually i convinced my parents to buy my PC and give it to my brother and sister and then in return for me saving money over the summer and helping to pay for college, they paid for the rest of the PB that the cost of of my PC didnt cover.

pretty sweet deal, eh?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2005, 10:30 PM

Now it's time to work on your bro and sis to make an Apple their next purchase.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2005, 11:34 PM

Waiting patiently for 12'' PB to come... my first Mac!

Ditto to fr33daddy... lots of researching, waiting

My friends all laugh at me because I got a Mac... pretty soon I'll be laughing at them and their PCs

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2005, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by teney7
Waiting patiently for 12'' PB to come... my first Mac!

Ditto to fr33daddy... lots of researching, waiting

My friends all laugh at me because I got a Mac... pretty soon I'll be laughing at them and their PCs
Ugh. There is/was this guy in my speech class who brought in a Dell laptop and since day one, criticized my use of a mac, he called it too damn expensive and STILL asks why I have it. ....

FWIW, if he does that one more time I'm going to tell him off
Aloha

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2005, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by fr33daddy
after a solid year's worth of waiting and researching, i ordered a 12" PB yesterday.

ive been reading the forums for a while, and posting, but it will be nice to finally be able to read and post FROM a mac.

anyway, thought i'd share the good news.

~free$
hope you enjoy, and welcome to mac family
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2005, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Link
Ugh. There is/was this guy in my speech class who brought in a Dell laptop and since day one, criticized my use of a mac, he called it too damn expensive and STILL asks why I have it. ....

i hate those sort of person indeed
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2005, 01:30 PM

welcome

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2005, 03:01 PM

thank you all, im really excited about my mac, now if it would just GET here.

the suspense is killing me.

typerlover
Jul 10, 2005, 03:11 PM

I am getting the full mac experience now after switching out my 12" for 15". This screen really lets me move around. I love it!

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Link

Sounds like a bit of MacEnvy.

The 12" PB is a great first Mac. I know.

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2005, 12:46 AM

I'm super excited right now. Hoping my Powerbook will arrive ON time tommorow like Apple said. I can't wait!!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 04:20 AM

I just helped a friend buy a 12" PB yesterday, his first mac, and he loves it. Although he was right when he pointed out that I was more excited about it than he was. I was jealous though, my 14" ibook is nowhere near as hot as the 12" PB. I decided that my next portable will be a 12" PB for sure.
Welcome to the club.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I just helped a friend buy a 12" PB yesterday, his first mac, and he loves it. Although he was right when he pointed out that I was more excited about it than he was....
Ain't it the truth? When I've helped people to purchase a Mac, I really have to quell the instinct to open the box first. I do make sure that he/she pushes the button for the first boot. That's important.

fr33daddy, welcome. Is your PowerBook due this week? Make sure you return and post your impressions. Have fun.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 09:14 AM

scottiB-
my Powerbook is due, according to FedEx, before 1030 AM on Thursday, so you guys will definitely be hearing my impressions after that.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by maCCer
i hate those sort of person indeed
They're the worst in my compsci classes. Man those people hate Macs. Thankfully my confidence is at an all-time high so it doesn't bother me too much.

I think they're jealous.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2005, 10:39 AM

Congrats, if you've never used OS X before I suggest lots of patience when adjusting to OS X things are "different" and before you ask we don't have a Maximize button on any of the windows, the "Cut" shortcut "Ctrl+X" does not exist. Also get used to not having to format every 6 months, and theres virtually a replacement Mac application for Every windows application and most of the time they are better.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2005, 11:40 AM

that is correct, ctrl-x (and most of the other ctrl-letter) shortcuts do not work; they are replaced with the command (the apple) key instead of ctrl. cmd-x is cut; cmd-v is paste; etc.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

DarwinX
Jul 13, 2005, 11:45 AM

Welcome and don't hesitate to ask questions!

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 12:33 PM

ok, so, much to my (extremely pleasant) surprise, the fedex guy showed up this morning at 930 with my powerbook (sleeve, printer, and ipod are coming later today). i wasnt expecting it till tomorrow, but i guess fedex was on the ball today.

anyway, i quickly tore open the box and ripped the powerbook out and turned it on. whoooooo boy, was i happy. sadly, i had work in a half an hour, so i didnt get to play with it for long, but so far im in love.

the 12" screen isnt NEARLY as small as i was thinking (it looks so much smaller when sitting next to the 15 and 17 in the store).

Mac OS X is (so far) soooo incredibly intuitive, within literally 4 minutes i had my computer turned on, set up, connected to my wireless internnet, and was on AIM with my buddy list loaded (using iChat).

Sadly, i had to leave for work, so my powerbook is now sitting at home charging and downloading all the software updates that the OS prompted me to get and install.

One quick question: I've seen people on powerbooks scan for wireless access points (war driving, basically), and it seemed to be an application included in the OS, but this was with panther. does this still exist in tiger?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 06:26 PM

One quick question: I've seen people on powerbooks scan for wireless access points (war driving, basically), and it seemed to be an application included in the OS, but this was with panther. does this still exist in tiger?
I can't say that I remember an app that was part of the OS for this, but a quick check on macupdate.com for 'airport' came up with a few apps you can try, such as Airport Radar and Air Stumbler.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

fr33daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 07:12 PM

awesome, thanks.

i think air stumbler is what i was thinking of

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2005, 03:21 AM

awesome, thanks.

i think air stumbler is what i was thinking of
MacStumbler

and also, I think I saw that there's a new widget that does the same thing, but don't recall the name.

Forum Links
Forum Rules