Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > File Vault?!?!?

File Vault?!?!?
jmault
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 10:41 PM

The other day I turned on this security feature called file vault. What is it? I recently started having problems with my computer. When I tried to log on today I acted like I was logging on to my computer for the first time. All my applications went through start process; asking me questions and going through all the procedures. PLEASE HELP?!?!?!

mac1896
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by jmault
The other day I turned on this security feature called file vault. What is it? I recently started having problems with my computer. When I tried to log on today I acted like I was logging on to my computer for the first time. All my applications went through start process; asking me questions and going through all the procedures. PLEASE HELP?!?!?!
Hmmmmmmm, started a security feature without knowing what it does .

That's like poking someone with a stick to see what happens

What happened is that you encrypted your home folder, and now all your files are encrypted and password protected, and, though I don't know for sure, I believe that your apps are now also password protected.

As for getting out of your mess, if you go back and turn off FileVault, I'm not too sure that your files (the ones that you have already logged into) can be unencrypted.

Wish I could be more of a help to you.

p.s. too bad Time Machine isn't here yet.........
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 11:50 PM

The other day I turned on this security feature called file vault. What is it?
In the preferences dialog which you used to turn it on it is explained what it is. Also see:

Apple - Mac OS X - FileVault

I recently started having problems with my computer. When I tried to log on today I acted like I was logging on to my computer for the first time. All my applications went through start process; asking me questions and going through all the procedures. PLEASE HELP?!?!?!
Do you still have your documents in your home folder? And by the way, does your home folder still look like a vault? If the answer to one of the is no, you have a serious problem. If yes, then the system probably had difficulties growing the encrypted disk image your home folder is on. That happened in older system versions, but I haven't heard of the issue recently.

ps:
You don't need FileVault if the risk that your computer is stolen is low (like for a desktop computer).

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2006, 11:53 PM

Well when I try and turn filevault off it always comes up and tell me that there is error preforming that action...and it is only application such as safari, itunes, mail, and ichat. What do you mean they are password encrypted, I thought I made the password, I thought it was my master password. Do you think it is at all possible that I have one of the seven viruses out there?!?! Oh yeah, when I open itunes it opens and it contains like 56 of my 2000 songs. And when I search for my itunes folder nothing comes up??? I HOPE I DIDN"T HURT MY BABY http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 12:02 AM

Well when I try and turn filevault off it always comes up and tell me that there is error preforming that action...and it is only application such as safari, itunes, mail, and ichat. What do you mean they are password encrypted, I thought I made the password, I thought it was my master password. Do you think it is at all possible that I have one of the seven viruses out there?!?! Oh yeah, when I open itunes it opens and it contains like 56 of my 2000 songs. And when I search for my itunes folder nothing comes up??? I HOPE I DIDN"T HURT MY BABY http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
I'm betting you wish it was a virus... that way you wouldn't feel like kicking yourself for implementing something you really didn't research before implementing.

You baby is fine, but the data may be lost or encrypted somewhere on your HD.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:02 AM

There aren't even seven viruses for Mac OS X. And none in circulation.

Of course it's encrypted with your password. It might be possible that you have a corrupted FileVault disk image. That could happen with older system versions.

In iTunes you can use File->Reveal in Finder to show your music files. That way you don't have to search for your music folder. It will show it to you.

I suggest that first of all you copy all your personal documents out of your home folder into a folder inside Users/Shared to save them. I hope you have a backup of everything else important.

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:40 AM

ok...yes, when i double click on the "mac hd" on my desktop the foler "jordanmault," which is the name of my homefoler, shows the picture of a little house with a vault. Everything seems to be perfect, at least my document files which are the important things, but I have all of those backed up. I mean, I really have no idea what the problem is Just my application don't preform as they typically would...when ever I start safari it will load my home page and then it will immediately close. ichat will open and then try and take me through the process as though i have never used it before and the same goes for itunes; none of my playlists are there and about 1% of my songs show up. Mail seems to be working fine and again I can open all my files such as all my homework documents that I have had from the past three years. I HOPE THAT HELPS...I GUESS I WON'T ACTIVATE ANY FEATURES ON MY MAC BECAUSE THEY SOUND APPEAKING

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 10:47 AM

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO?!?! I think I am going to take it to the Mac store. Do you think they will know what to do?

mac1896
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:33 PM

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO?!?! I think I am going to take it to the Mac store. Do you think they will know what to do?
If you have ALL your essential files and iTunes folder backed up to a pre-FileVault time period, *I* would:

#1. Turn off FileVault (if not having done so already).

#2. Perform a "Archive & Install" from the OSX Installer DVD.

#3. Add whatever files I needed from the BACKUP drive to bring the system as up to date as possible (AFTER ANY OS UPDATES that may need to be done).

#4. Never touch FileVault (or any other settings) ever again unless I'm familiar with that particular setting.

I won't spank you anymore, I think you've suffered enough already.......
Gee, I hope they're friendly..........

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:47 PM

haha ok...I will try that...thanks...do you have any idea why it would act like those are all new applications though. And the wierd thing is everything seems to be working fine, even before i turned off the file vault. I let it sit over night and when u turned it back on in the morning my internet was working as was my ichat, however itunes still did not have my songs on it. At any rate is disabled file vault and haven't checked my itunes because i am hoping some way, some how, they mystically returned...PLEAAAAAAASE

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:50 PM

oh...should i use the original CD's that came with it...like the PB G4 software install disk one and 2 or should I use the Tiger CD??

The3rdMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 08:06 PM

If you fixed it please tell me how?? The same thing just happened to me

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by The3rdMan View Post
If you fixed it please tell me how?? The same thing just happened to me
If he wasn't able to turn file vault off,i.e., decrypt the drive, then typically the only solution is to reinstall OSX. I'm not sure why the archive and install would work since that keeps your home folder intact and if its a corrupted encryption then you may not be buying yourself anything AFAIK. It cannot hurt to try it though.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules