Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Computer-to-computer Networks

Computer-to-computer Networks
jmault
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 10:52 PM

What is the deal with computer-to-computer networks? When ever I select them nothing ever seems to happen for me??? Can I connect to the internet through them or what is their use??? When ever I am in hotel and they don't have wireless I can usually detect some type of computer-to-computer network.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2006, 11:42 PM

What do you mean by a computer-to-computer network? I'm not sure what you are referring to. A network is, by definition computer-to-computer, isn't it?

jmault  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2006, 11:48 PM

Well I really don't know. For example I have the airport indicator in the control strip at the top. There seem to be wireless networs and then there are computer-to-computer networks. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2006, 09:24 AM

jmault is talking about "ad-hoc" wireless networks. They're great for an occasional file swap, but they are not designed to take the place of "infrastructure" networks that center on a wireless access point.

I can't say much about detecting computer-to-computer networks in hotels-all of the hotels I've found to be networked either have zero wireless, or they have the whole place set up for wireless and that's the primary network I see (with the network across the street being a low second place).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2006, 09:48 AM

It all depends on the person who set up the computer to computer network. They could be:

1. Sharing their internet connection
2. Opening their machine up for co-workers to connect to (perhaps for file sharing or chat)

If you connect to their machine and try to get to the internet, you'll know if #1 is active. If you can't get to the net, then either they're doing number 2 or they set up the network by mistake. You probably won't be able to do anything on their machine without an account.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules