Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Water Damage

Water Damage
kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 01:40 PM

My powerbook as closed and sleep and a little bit of water spilled on top of it. I seemed to get it all out, however, it won't start up. I took out the battery, cleaned up everyting around there, tried to start it w/o the battery. Once I put the battery back in, it automatically goes to sleep, and the caps and num lock lights are on, can't be shut off and the computer is making a click click click sound...uhoh, any ideas?

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 02:28 PM

Yeah, that is pretty bad, from what you have said, there are hard drive or speaker problems, water has leaked into the keyboard, and there is a problem with system-shorting.

There probably aren't any warranties left on it, check first, but if you were sure you weren't going to f*** anything else up I would open it up and take pictures to make comparisons as to where and how bad the water-damage is.

Don't just listen to me, though , I stand by what I say, but wait for other people and their opinions as to whats wrong and what to do.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
Yeah, that is pretty bad, from what you have said, there are hard drive or speaker problems, water has leaked into the keyboard, and there is a problem with system-shorting.

There probably aren't any warranties left on it, check first, but if you were sure you weren't going to f*** anything else up I would open it up and take pictures to make comparisons as to where and how bad the water-damage is.

Don't just listen to me, though , I stand by what I say, but wait for other people and their opinions as to whats wrong and what to do.
Time to call Safeware.com or your homeowner's insurance!

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 03:02 PM

To be honest, the worst thing you could have done, was try to power it on. You should have pulled the mains/battery immediately, dried it off with a cloth/towel, and left it to dry out in an airing-cupboard of some sort for at least a week; then attempted to power it on.

Shorts can only occur if power is given, and although the Powerbook was alseep and still essentially pulling power from the mains/battery (although only a small amount to keep the RAM active), sending that power elsewhere (i.e. right the way through every component) might have done some damage.

My advice would be to do exactly as I've said above. Disconnect all forms of power, and leave it to dry/air out for at least a week. Come back to it after that, and see where you stand.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules