Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AV-cable suitable for every TV?

AV-cable suitable for every TV?
Janger
Forum Regular
May 19, 2001, 03:23 PM

I thought about ordering an AV-cable with my iBook, but then I saw it's only for composite video. My TV does not have a composite video-in, although Apple says the cable is for every TV.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks - Jan

graffix
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2001, 03:31 PM

Composite is 'standard' RCA jacks... if your TV only supports coaxial (cable) input, you'll need some sort of converter box to adapt the RCA jacks to coax. My 36" TV has a little flip-down door on the front of it that has the analog inputs right there... I can't wait to fire up iTunes and run the visuals on it
g.

------------------
First there was man,
then there was
Macintosh
First there was man, then there was Macintosh

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2001, 07:27 PM

or hook it straight into the vcr. now searching for a combo desk/entertainment unit.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2001, 08:33 PM

On both my DVD player and TV, composite video means the signal is split into three parts: green, blue and red, each with their own cable. So this may be a case of confusing terminology.

-JOhn

My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2001, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by SillyMonk:
On both my DVD player and TV, composite video means the signal is split into three parts: green, blue and red, each with their own cable. So this may be a case of confusing terminology.

-JOhn

Check your manual again. What you described is Component Video. The fact that they both start with "C" confuses a lot of people.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2001, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Milio:
Check your manual again. What you described is Component Video. The fact that they both start with "C" confuses a lot of people.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I am an idiot. An idiot with manuals ducked away in a deep pit, never read.

I'll shut up now.

Janger  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 03:40 AM

The AV-cable - I saw a picture of it on a reseller's site - seems to support component video, then: It has three cables in three different colors. Maybe we have prehistoric TV/Video devices here in Germany, but I cannot find a plug for such cables on both my TV and VCR. Hm.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2001, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Janger:
The AV-cable - I saw a picture of it on a reseller's site - seems to support component video, then: It has three cables in three different colors. Maybe we have prehistoric TV/Video devices here in Germany, but I cannot find a plug for such cables on both my TV and VCR. Hm.
I'm sorry if I have confused anyone.

On the Apple site they have a picture of an AV cable and the cables are red, yellow and white which is NOT component video which splits only the video signal into three parts and not the sound.

The AV cable has the yellow for video and red/white for audio left/right. So if the one you saw has these then it is the right one. As for german devices, we used to have a German VCR and it had the correct composite plugs. So some do make them!

-John

hayesk
May 20, 2001, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by druber:
or hook it straight into the vcr. now searching for a combo desk/entertainment unit.
The VCRs copy protection (macrovision) will prevent you from watching a DVD when hooking it up through the VCR. The picture will fade, come back in, go "crooked", etc.

It's best to get an RF Converter with composite inputs.

Skaught24
May 20, 2001, 01:40 PM

The RF converters are pretty cheap. I had to buy one for my DVD player and my tv. There are some that are really cheap, but are passive (don't plug into the power outlet in wall. With these, you loose some quality.

If you get a powered (active) converter, there is little or no loss of quality. (still not as good as S-video, etc.) These cost about $29.99 at Radio Shak or Walmart.

"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 01:56 PM

your tv will most likely have a scart input. those long box-like input with many flat contacts, that's standart with modern german tv sets, not all of them have a direct rca input. for that you can pick up at saturn a small adaptor for about 15 marks - either stereo or mono, depending on your tv - connect the yellow plug from your iBook to the video in input in the connector and the red and black (could also be white) in the right and left audio input, presto your tv is showing your new movies straight out of your new baby. did you already get yours? i'm still waiting....

cheers, DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

Janger  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by DrIcaro:
your tv will most likely have a scart input. those long box-like input with many flat contacts, that's standart with modern german tv sets, not all of them have a direct rca input. for that you can pick up at saturn a small adaptor for about 15 marks - either stereo or mono, depending on your tv - connect the yellow plug from your iBook to the video in input in the connector and the red and black (could also be white) in the right and left audio input, presto your tv is showing your new movies straight out of your new baby. did you already get yours? i'm still waiting....

cheers, DrIcaro
Gee, thanks! That's what I wanted to hear! I will rush to Saturn ASAP. But I haven't got mine either. At Cyberport, they told me the delivery date was mid-june at earliest for a DVD-book. They have good prices, though.

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 06:08 PM

i looked it up at www.conrad.com

SCART-Adapter "Switch"
Nr. 350036-14
DM 14,95

DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

Janger  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by DrIcaro:
i looked it up at www.conrad.com

DrIcaro
*grin* That's were I looked it up yesterday evening. Thanks, anyway, and my iBook will rock the screen. I will post a topic when I get mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules