Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Taking iBook Overseas

Taking iBook Overseas
Corey_Chandler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 04:15 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm going to go on tour with the San Francisco Symphony Youth Orchestra this summer, and I really need to bring my iBook for internet access (a cybercafe won't do since I'm going to be downloading and studying slides for a class). We're going to Russia, Lithuania, and Ireland.

Does anyone have advice on the cheapest and best way to get net access? I was thinking something along the lines of signing up temporarily with AOL to get access to local dialups (if AOL has some in the places I'm going).

Thanks!

- Corey

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2001, 06:26 AM

I don't think AOL exists in Lithuania... not sure about Russia either. I think the best thing is to check AOL's websites first. However, they probably have loads of trial servers in these countries... so don't worry about it too much.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

mmarcos
Jun 5, 2001, 04:34 PM

ATT Global Network is very good with connections in remote locations. Check their site. There is no software for the Mac, just create a standard PPP dial up. Network throughput is good as well as the ability to get in.
Are you spontaneously enthusiastic about everyone having everything you can have? - Buckminster Fuller

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:05 AM

I've had good experiences, Europe and North America wide with UUNet and also CompuServe which has a very international presence. Check UUNet's site. Good luck and happy travels. DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:12 AM

I've had good experiences, Europe and North America wide with UUNet and also CompuServe which has a very international presence. Check UUNet's site. Good luck and happy travels. DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

Forum Links
Forum Rules