Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook thinks its 1970

New iBook thinks its 1970
bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 06:47 AM

Oddity with my new iBook 2001. Running OS X, put it to sleep about 11pm at night, wake it up for the first time the next day at about 5PM. The date and time have reset themselves to Jan 1970 and the clock starts running with some AM time (7:30-8am). Why the clock has that time is perplexing - since it has not been awakened since the prev night (checked and energy saver wakeup/sleep is disabled). Then no matter what I do with the date/time I can not get it to autosynch. Tried several different NTP servers, etc, but it will not synch again. Is there a way to force it to synch the date/time like in prev OS versions?

Next night I tried an experiement leaving it on in OS 9.1 overnight and repeating above schedule. Clock was fine. As soon as it woke up the clock was correct.

In most case regarding clock/date issues the usual cause is PRAM batteries, etc. This is a factory-fresh iBook 2001 though. I would doubt the battery is bad since it seems to be working fine in OS 9.x.

Has anyone else seen this date/time oddity and if so is there a solution.

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 10:04 AM

I have only seen this happen when using the hardware reset button. Perhaps it is somehow related? Just a thought.

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n14449
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2001, 12:20 PM

I have been experiencing the same thing, first I thought it was related to the psychodelic colors put out by iTunes . Since I've been getting a lot of crashes by extensively using the location manager � I move a lot with my machine thru very different network configurations � and been forced to use the reset key more than I'd wish to, that could be a cause. What happened to the good ol' 1904? DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

bluehz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 06:25 AM

Someone on another board told me the solution was to reboot once into Mac OS 9.1 then back into X. I did that and so far (one day) it has worked. The clock still seems to get stuck for an inordinate amount of time after waking up (say 1 min) until (I presume) it updates from the NTP (network time server). So what would happen if I did not have the machine connected to an always on connection? would the clock be stuck again? Have not tested that.

XRA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 09:53 AM

If I'm not mistaken, you can set it to not use the network time server. I can't remember where the option is though.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 03:04 AM

XRA,

if I am not mistaken you are talking about the Date and Time Preference Panel within the System Preferences...

t

bluehz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2001, 06:19 AM

Every one seems tobe misunderstanding the query I have re: the Date/Time control panel. In previous systems - when you opened the Date/Time control panel there was a button that allowed you to click and AT THAT VERY MOMENT the computer would query the NTP server and adjust your date/time as needed. This functionality appears to be gone in Mac OS X. Sure - you can tell it to automatically adjust via NTP server - but you have no control over whether you want it to check every hour, day, month, or manually adjust the clock when you click a button.

Forum Links
Forum Rules