Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook availability in Europe?

iBook availability in Europe?
JMT
May 31, 2001, 07:49 AM

Does anybody know about the availability of iBooks here in Europe (and especially in Finland)? I ordered one a week after the introduction and was quoted a delivery at the end of May / beginning of June. I just asked for more precise delivery info from the retailler but haven't received any answer yet. Has anybody got an iBook somewhere in Europe yet?

What the heck... ?
May 31, 2001, 08:50 AM

According to survey on a german apple newssite (http://www.macnews.de/), 2.41% out of 3234 people said they already owned the new iBook.
That makes 78 people.
Sounds like iBooks have arrived at least in Germany.

so far,

-t

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 08:57 AM

I ordered on May 1st an iBook 10/128/AirPort. On the 28th I received a shipment confirmation. According to the DHL tracking system my package is in transit from Cologne to my city. It has been a long wait. DrIcaro
iBook500/CDRW/128/AirPort it is burning!

fryd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 09:07 AM

I ordered mine right after the announcement as well.
Still haven't gotten it tho...

I called Apple. They refused to tell me anything. "Ask your reseller", they said.
So I did. And they won't know before "3 or 4 days before it actually shows up". And when THAT will be is anoyones guess....

This is getting really irritating! :/

rudynorff
May 31, 2001, 11:15 AM

My iBook, ordered it on May 3rd, was supposed to ship on May 28th, but after talking to my reseller, they told me that it would now be mid-June!!! This makes me mad.

Is there anybody in Germany who ordered his/her iBook at Cyberport.de and already got it???

I hate waiting another 2 weeks!
I hate Apple for letting me wait

rudy

Janger
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by rudynorff:
My iBook, ordered it on May 3rd, was supposed to ship on May 28th, but after talking to my reseller, they told me that it would now be mid-June!!! This makes me mad.

Is there anybody in Germany who ordered his/her iBook at Cyberport.de and already got it???
rudy
I ordered at Cyberport.de on May 14, and the sales rep said the delivery date would be around mid-june at earliest.
So I guess we will have to wait two more weeks.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 03:01 PM

There is a CD version available at Fnac Champs.

------------------

voyager-0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 03:51 PM

I ordered ibook dualUSb at AppleStore on 2th of may.
My order is "being reviewed"�
I'm not able to wait any more, does anyone knows something more?
voyager

Samy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 04:59 PM

Today I called the reseller where I ordered my ibook. He told me that apple sent an invoice two days ago for their order of the ibooks 500/64/10/CD. That would mean the ibooks to arrive by the end of the week. Also they expect the invoices for the DVD's, CDRW's and COMBO's for next week, meaning there should be a shippment for the rest of the orders by mid June!
Also I read the "review" of the combo by new member amrosario "topic: My iBook review (combo) kinda long post" in the forum. He mentioned that he ordered his iBook dual USB, 20 gig, CDRW/DVD combo on May 9th and received it "just" 3 weeks later! But he didn't mentioned where he's from. I assume he's from the States.
At least there's one lucky one who didn't have to wait too long!
But I'm confident that APPLE had sent out most of the orders and all the "long waiters" well get what they are waiting for in one or two weeks!!!
iBook 2001
500 Mhz
384 Ram
10 Gig.
iPod 10Gig

Harald Kujat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by rudynorff:

I hate waiting another 2 weeks!
I hate Apple for letting me wait

rudy
Hi,

I ordered (CD-ROM version) at cyberport.de last monday. They told me that they will get the next bunch of iBooks around the 11th of june (KW24). What ever this means. So, I am wondering, will there be no shipment from Apple for 2 weeks? Somebody told that the DVD version is produced in higher volume. Should I change my order to the DVD-version????

Harald.

[This message has been edited by Harald Kujat (edited 05-31-2001).]

jog
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 08:19 PM

ordered my DVD may 2nd >> "coming in next week"

CD version is widely available since last week

Marc2211
May 31, 2001, 09:31 PM

I went to a reseller on Tuesday and ordered a DVD model, they said they will have it in by Monday

------------------
I still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea...

paterss
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 01:12 AM

In Gravis, Berlin they have a demo model, and their website states Cd version is available.

I am also waiting for my CD-RW from Cyberport . . .though I did only order it yesterday ;-)

Looking forward to being mobile again !

------------------------------------------
Beer and Sausages are not the only food.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Bart, Belgium
Jun 1, 2001, 01:48 AM

I got my cd/dvd iBook yesterday. I ordered it May 3. As a former TiBook user I'm happy to make the switch. The screen is smaller but much brighter. And the iBook's case is a LOT stronger than my previous Powerbook G4. It's heavier but for the price difference I got an external Yamaha FireWire cdr, a flatbed scanner, Kritter usb, extra mb and still money left over.. However my first attempt to play a dvd showed some glitches in the soundtrack. The G4 did that better.
But I'm more than happy !

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2001, 04:29 AM

Saw a demo model at a UK dealer yesterday - he said they expected stock in 'next week'.

Very very nice BTW. The best LCD screen I've ever seen.

Harald Kujat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 04:38 AM

Ok, just talked to cyberport: The CD-ROM versions will arrive today or tomorrow at cyberport. So, I will get mine on thuesday!!
The whole situation seems to calm down in germany, more and more shops and retailers are reporting availability.
Harald.

JMT
Jun 1, 2001, 06:12 AM

Checked just with my reseller and they said that they *should* get a dispatch next week. If true, it would mean only one week delay � I won't be holding my breath, though...

Anybody already got their iBook in Finland or in the Nordic countries?

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Harald Kujat:
Ok, just talked to cyberport: The CD-ROM versions will arrive today or tomorrow at cyberport. So, I will get mine on thuesday!!
The whole situation seems to calm down in germany, more and more shops and retailers are reporting availability.
Harald.
Hm. I just called cyberport and they told me the delivery date for ALL models is still mid june. The sales rep said the information you got was definitely wrong.

Jan

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 05:08 PM

I received my iBook 500 CDRW/10/128 today at noon, by DHL courrier. It sat yesterday all day in Cologne being processed with the rest of the container from Taiwan (full of iBook ?!?). It is a very nice machine, my first grippe is that I could not reinstall MacOS 9.1 (english) because it wouldn't boot from my CD. It is going to go thru a hard test the next days since I am finishing a 'Diplom' with lots of Architectural 3D drawings and large Illustrator layouts. I'll post some more of my experiences running ArchiCAD from it later.
I think that all the people who ordered the machines early in May should be getting them in the next days. Cheers, DrIcaro

iceFabio
Jun 1, 2001, 05:34 PM

>I received my iBook 500 CDRW/10/128 today at noon, by DHL courrier.

My iBook 500/Combo/10/128 is shipped in 5/31 via DHL Courier but after 2 days it is in Taiwan too.

I live in Rome - Italy.

DrIcaro, when your iBook is shipped?

Thanks.

iceFabio.

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2001, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by DrIcaro:
I received my iBook 500 CDRW/10/128 today at noon, by DHL courrier. It sat yesterday all day in Cologne being processed with the rest of the container from Taiwan (full of iBook ?!?). It is a very nice machine, my first grippe is that I could not reinstall MacOS 9.1 (english) because it wouldn't boot from my CD. It is going to go thru a hard test the next days since I am finishing a 'Diplom' with lots of Architectural 3D drawings and large Illustrator layouts. I'll post some more of my experiences running ArchiCAD from it later.
I think that all the people who ordered the machines early in May should be getting them in the next days. Cheers, DrIcaro
Hmpf. As I just posted yesterday, Cyberport.de insists on mid-june for delivery. And yesterday, there was a whole container full of iBooks in Cologne! ;-)

voyager-0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 05:20 AM

Today I have recieved the notification of shipment of my ibook 500Mhz/10Gb-Hd/192Mb-Ram/DVD!!!!

I have ordered it on may 2 at the Apple Store online.

So in europe something is moving�
voyager

iceFabio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 06:09 AM

Sorry for the language...

Cos� voyager-o hai ricevuto anche tu la notifica???

Io l'ho ricevuta giovedi 31 alle 12.44 locali (erano le 4.44 in Italia credo) ma, purtroppo, da quel giorno non si � mosso nulla da Taiwan.
Ho chiamato DHL e mi hanno garantito che sar� in Italia entro 4 giorni lavorativi. Io ci credo poco...possibile che in 3 giorni non si sia mosso? Forse c'� qualche problema in dogana.

A te � arrivata il 2/6 a che ora? Si � mosso qualcosa?

Grazie voyager-o.

Se ci vogliamo sentire direttamente via e-mail questo � il mio indirizzo : [email protected].

Un saluto.
iceFabio

iceFabio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 06:20 AM

Sorry for the language...

Cos� voyager-o hai ricevuto anche tu la notifica???

Io l'ho ricevuta giovedi 31 alle 12.44 locali (erano le 4.44 in Italia credo) ma, purtroppo, da quel giorno non si � mosso nulla da Taiwan.
Ho chiamato DHL e mi hanno garantito che sar� in Italia entro 4 giorni lavorativi. Io ci credo poco...possibile che in 3 giorni non si sia mosso? Forse c'� qualche problema in dogana.

A te � arrivata il 2/6 a che ora? Si � mosso qualcosa?

Grazie voyager-o.

Se ci vogliamo sentire direttamente via e-mail questo � il mio indirizzo : [email protected].

Un saluto.
iceFabio

DrIcaro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 09:27 AM

to iceFabio,
My shipping notice came on the 28th from Apple Ireland, on the 31st it first arrived in Germany going thru Amsterdam and Brussels, then it took a whole day in Cologne to be processed by the customs; so it seems that DHL has a lot to do to get these boxes to our homes, hang in there it is worth it.
il Dottore

RonTek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 11:51 AM

Mine (CD-Rom with additional 256MB RAM) came yesterday via german parcel, Ordered it at MacTrade in Regensburg on May 16th(!!!). Thought I was very lucky for waiting onlly 2 1/2 weeks but a friend who lives in Wiesbaden receivid his yesterday too. He ordered last week - at MacTrade
Snow isn't white, it's
just brighter than
cream

Harald Kujat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Janger:
Hmpf. As I just posted yesterday, Cyberport.de insists on mid-june for delivery. And yesterday, there was a whole container full of iBooks in Cologne! ;-)
In the www.macnews.de forum sombody told that he got his cd-rom iBook today! He was also told he will get it in KW 24. There is something going on....

Harald.

Forum Links
Forum Rules