Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Photoshop locking up the GUI?

Photoshop locking up the GUI?
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jan 23, 2003, 01:55 PM

I have experienced this crash several times while using Photoshop.
It usually involves the usage of a quick mask, the extract tool or a cloning/healing tool.
The symptom is:
* No keyboard input is recognized
* The tool used at that moment is kept frozen on the screen
* If iTunes was playing in the background, the music keeps playing, but interrupts itself at regular intervals.
* After a while, the beachball appears and the cursor warps (almost no way to control it).

The only way to solve this problem so far seems to hold the power button.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2003, 06:06 PM

Is this a crash or a hang? If no input is possible then it's a hang, a crash just means the app crashed. While I can repeat a crash by just using the file browser i have never heard of PS hanging the system.

I would visit Adobe's forums and look there for possible answers. If none are found, I'd post to let them know of your issue.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 09:57 AM

Thank you. About your terminology on crash/hang... Wouldn�t a crash of the GUI hang the computer?.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2003, 10:51 AM

I've had Photoshop itself beachball on me a few times, and it has "unexpectedly quit" twice since updating to 7, but it's never completely hung the entire GUI.

The first fix-all to try is repair permissions in Disk Utility. You'd be suprised what that'll fix if you haven't done it. After that, stary eliminating peripherals one at a time.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Nai no Kami:
Thank you. About your terminology on crash/hang... Wouldn�t a crash of the GUI hang the computer?.
mmmm, er, ah, dounno. All I know is you can recover and continue from crashes, hang ups, and you need to reboot. After fixing permissions, you may also want to move the photoshop preferences out of the prefs folder and see if that helps, if not put it back in. I also think there are some caches you can delete that may be corrupted.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

step
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2003, 12:23 PM

i had a period of this happening alot, totally locking up osx (still the only thing that's done that ) but only until i realised photoshop was always crashing when i was editing an image that was also being used as a desktop at the same time, is your image also open in another app?

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by step:
i had a period of this happening alot, totally locking up osx (still the only thing that's done that ) but only until i realised photoshop was always crashing when i was editing an image that was also being used as a desktop at the same time, is your image also open in another app?
Eh, no, as far as I can remember. It could happen that the image was selected in the Finder, hence be "open" in preview mode. Since this hang/crash/whatever does not happen all the time, I will be more careful to take note of which apps were open at the time of the problem. As for repairing permissions, there is nothing wrong with them.

Dudes, thanks for your replies

rytc
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Nai no Kami:
As for repairing permissions, there is nothing wrong with them.
I can guarantee you that if you repair permissions by opening Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and repairing permissions that it'll find ones to fix. Your crashes may or may not have anything to do with permissions, BUT it is impossible to tell if your permissions need fixing simply by using the OS.

ponami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2003, 10:40 PM

You maybe running out of RAM and or hard drive space, I found if I get under 1-1.5 gig of hard drive(boot drive) I start to have problems.
Also, I keep other programs to a minimum when using Photoshop 7.
Grant.

:haripu:
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 05:09 AM

I may know what your problem is about. I had it a the same thing a few months ago.

what kind of mac do you have? i guess it would be a sawtooth g4 or some other early g4 version. there is a known problem between the "AltivVec Core" Photoshop Extension and these chipsets (which is supposed to be a hardware problem ? so Adobe can do nothing about that).

the only solution is to throw the altivec core out of the photoshop-folder. mind you, photoshop will be a little bit slower as there's no altivec acceleration any more, but the improved stability is worth it.

hope this helps.

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by :haripu::
I may know what your problem is about. I had it a the same thing a few months ago.

what kind of mac do you have? i guess it would be a sawtooth g4 or some other early g4 version. there is a known problem between the "AltivVec Core" Photoshop Extension and these chipsets (which is supposed to be a hardware problem ? so Adobe can do nothing about that).

the only solution is to throw the altivec core out of the photoshop-folder. mind you, photoshop will be a little bit slower as there's no altivec acceleration any more, but the improved stability is worth it.

hope this helps.
Thank you very much. I will give that a try. That could be the cause. In fact, I am running PS 7 from a blueberry iBook.

Tiffany Mac
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 04:29 PM

It's not Photoshop that locks up the system. It's that LimeWire. It takes my system and turns it into a jolty mess

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Tiffany Mac:
It's not Photoshop that locks up the system. It's that LimeWire. It takes my system and turns it into a jolty mess
That may be your LimeWire. I don�t have LW and I don`t like it. So, it is not LW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules