Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Key2Audio and iPod. What to do?

Key2Audio and iPod. What to do?
Double_UK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2002, 04:14 AM

With <font color = red> Sony </font> releasing a new anti-copy scheme (Key2Audio) on their CD's (Celine Dion is a first example), it is no longer possible to play CD's in your computer (both PC and MAC).

So, ripping your favourite tracks, MP3 them, and playing them back on your iPod for instance, will be a thing of the past?

I mean, today Celine Dion (no harm done, so far) but tomorrow...?

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2002, 06:06 AM

I was going to buy the Natalie Imbruglia CD until I heard it had copy protection. I think this is a knee jerk reaction by record companies who know they are ripping people off and want to keep it that way. It doesn't benefit the artist because I for one won't buy a CD that has this protection. My CD buying habits haven't changed with the ability to download music, if anything I want to buy more CDs because I can fit it around my lifestyle with the abilty to carry it with me on my iPod and the ease with which I can access my music on my Mac.

So what's happening now? we shell out for an album and they dictate to us how we can listen to it? I can't see them getting very far with that, too many people have tasted freedom. If they weren't so hell bent on greed in the first place this would never have happened, who would bother to download an album when you could buy it for $3? all those people would still be ridiculously rich they just wouldn't be 'as' ridiculously rich.

I was thinking the other day that any bootleg stuff I have is stuff I own on vinyl or on tape anyway, I've paid for all this music before so wouldn't it be fairer to sell music with some kind of licence? you could then pay a small fee for getting your music recorded in the latest format but you'd own the right to listen to those songs no matter what.

Greed, greed, greed, the world has to change and fast, more and more mouths to feed and less and less resources, but enough of my philosophising and crap
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

<Hillary Rosen>
Apr 16, 2002, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by Double_UK:
<STRONG>With <font color = red> Sony </font> releasing a new anti-copy scheme (Key2Audio) on their CD's (Celine Dion is a first example), it is no longer possible to play CD's in your computer (both PC and MAC).

So, ripping your favourite tracks, MP3 them, and playing them back on your iPod for instance, will be a thing of the past?

I mean, today Celine Dion (no harm done, so far) but tomorrow...? </STRONG>
Unless you've donated to the EFF, written a letter to/called your senator, and/or followed the instructions at digitalconsumer.org, you deserve everything that your corrupt politicans serve you!

Sure, there are technical means to get around these restrictions. But don't come complaining to us when they lock you up for 10 years for violating the DMCA!

We have the best politicians money can buy!

(If you are European, this still goes. Hollywood is not only successful at exporting their movies, but also legislation. Hoooooray for the new Copyright Directive, our very own version of the DMCA. We are so lucky, lucky, lucky!)

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2002, 08:48 AM

this entire napster thing, did it actally hurt the music industry, I remember a analyisis about sales and it said that they remaind the same if not went up after napster. I think this recent ploy of the companies to stop CD burning and CDs on computers is shooting themselves in the foot. I won't buy one and if I do get one that wont play on my G4 then it goes back, My computer is my digital hub(sorry couldn't resist), I have all of my CDs on it same with my iPod, it is a part of my life style now.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

<Hillary Rosen>
Apr 16, 2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG>this entire napster thing, did it actally hurt the music industry, I remember a analyisis about sales and it said that they remaind the same if not went up after napster.</STRONG>
CD sales went up during Napster, and went down after they shut Napster down. Without further data you'd be a fool to use this as evidence of anything. However, since the music industry uses these kinds of arguments (sales are dropping, file-sharing BAD!), we'll use the same kind of arguments against them

Forum Links
Forum Rules