Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 16)
Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2008, 11:01 PM

I swear a trap was just set for me. I was passing by the Auto Erotica Dealership, and I thought I saw some money glowing on the ground so I stopped. It was cash sure enough, so I picked it up. As I'm getting back on my bike, I get a star and some cops start moving in one me. What the hell?

Edit: I don't know what the deal with the cash is, but I figured out it's a glitch. Even though I drove up on the bike, the act of getting in a vehicle at the dealership is being construed as trying to jack a car.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 02:31 AM

Progress: 80.17%
Times Busted: 1
Times Died: 65
People Killed: 1107
Playing Time: 70:22:59
Longest non-stop game: 5:26:55
Cars stolen: 401
Bikes: 37
Boats: 16
Helicopters: 3
Stars attained/evaded: 385/309
People run down: 467

Miles on foot: 97.71
by car: 719.20
swam: 1.81
Bike: 82.47
Heli: 48.38
Boat: 25.85
Train: 2.31
Taxi: 201.22 (I love taxis)
Average speed: 34.12
Farthest jump distance: 448.52 (pretty much tied with Dakar on this... weird)
Highest jump reached: 169.19
Air Launches: 1709

Money spent on health care: $349387
Picked up on street: $23120

Longest free fall: 152.32

Bullets fired: 18794
Headshot kills: 444
Time spent in cover: 00:56:33
Accuracy: 57%
Free aim: 26%

QUB3D high score: 7625 (have only played once)

Meals eaten: 26
Cutscenes watched: 280

and for hilarity's sake
Scored with girl: 17
Prostitute visits: 2 (I swear it was 3)

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 10:00 AM

Jesus, you've watched a lot of cutscenes.

---

Dwyane is the most unlucky person in the world. I decided to just work on relationships last night (I think he was still at 45%, roughly), so I took Dwayne out 3 times, and Packie, Little Jacob, and Roman once. All got rides on my NRG. Somehow, Dwayne got sent to the hospital twice, effectively negating the dates. The one time he survived I drove him home drunk on a scooter. That's pretty f'ed up.

Random luck:

• picking up Dwayne from the hospital, I heard the coo of a pigeon. It was in a spot I had passed millions of times, probably doing 30+ mph, though.

• I wrecked my bike pretty hard, got up and heard cooing. There on a bus stop awning, was a pigeon.

• Took Brucie for a boat ride. I decided to take the long was back, and noticed what looked like stunt jump on the shore. Returned to that spot later, measured the jump before actually doing it, and heard cooing from underneath. 'Nother pigeon (the jump didn't turn out to be an official one, though)

• A great way to kill time is to do Vigilante Missions. In Alderny, gang related violence means you'll be shooting at fat mobsters in their front yards. Twice, one of them had a sniper rifle.

• I found a great defensible spot for a last stand -- the Middle Park bathroom. Using the entrance arch as cover, you have a sight-line of the fountain and some of the outside. Helicopters have no shot at you, and NOOSE keeps coming in from your left. The only real problem is action can be a little slow, but it was fun for the time I tried it. Would be cooler on multi with a guy positioned deep on the other side to cause cross-fire.

Edit: I wish I knew how to make an excel file, to compare our stats more easily than scrolling up and down a MacNN page.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:18 AM

One thing I think they really messed up on was the money. It is virtually useless in the game. If I have $10,000 or $250,000 it doesn't make much of a difference as there isn't much to spend your money on.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 10:23 AM

Except that the rocket launcher costs about $15,000 and each rocket costs something like $7000 (just from memory, could be off by a bit).

And check how much you've spent on healthcare. You'll be thankful for the money. $10,000 would be gone in a day.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 10:25 AM

It was equally useless in III as well. In Vice City and San Andreas they did a better job of making it useful. Also, it seems like they scale back how much you can get in each game. (And if it weren't for the scaling healthcare costs, we'd have even more money in this game)

If you could buy cars (not to mention property), this wouldn't be so bad. It wouldn't hurt if they added some type of bribe feature for cops (perhaps per district? Pay off a cop $100 per day or $1000 per week and all acts are reduced by a star). Actually, that'd be mad cool.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:30 AM

Even if you could buy a shitload of different clothes or get a fancy car or chopper with your money would have been something.

So what happens if you get in hospital and don't have enough money?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Even if you could buy a shitload of different clothes or get a fancy car or chopper with your money would have been something.
Renting a spot on the airstrip to have a chopper would be cool. How about being able to upgrade you safehouses? Using parking garages as car storage facilities? Recurring costs are they key here.

So what happens if you get in hospital and don't have enough money?
I've heard of people leaving with more money then when they came.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Renting a spot on the airstrip to have a chopper would be cool. How about being able to upgrade you safehouses? Using parking garages as car storage facilities? Recurring costs are they key here.

I've heard of people leaving with more money then when they came.
I have a chopper parked at my Algonquin safehouse. And in Alderny I have a cop car. Every other spot has a Sultan RS in it. I have no need for a garage since those are the only cars I need.

But it would be cool to upgrade your safehouses. I was very disappointed in my Alderny safehouse. I thought since it was the last one I got it would be the best, but it was much worse than the two I have in Algonquin.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 10:45 AM

oops

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I have a chopper parked at my Algonquin safehouse. And in Alderny I have a cop car. Every other spot has a Sultan RS in it. I have no need for a garage since those are the only cars I need.
I don't thinking parking a chopper in a street spot is convenient, though, as opposed to adding a pad on top of your house.

I find garages (parking spots) to be almost useless. I only take the car if I really think I'll need it. Otherwise, I know I'm going to have to restock the damn spot. I still think having some type of respawning system is the way to go, especially if it costs money. Think about Vice City here. The Mansion had a respawning Infernus. Was that not the best situation you've ever had? The safehouse with the respawning jetpack in San Andreas coming in second...

What I basically am doing now is leaving a safehouse, hailing a cab, and going to the cycle shop in Alderney. Seems like it'd be smarter if there was always a bike waiting for you, if that's what you wanted (or, incur a time limit, like only respawns once or twice a day).

But it would be cool to upgrade your safehouses. I was very disappointed in my Alderny safehouse. I thought since it was the last one I got it would be the best, but it was much worse than the two I have in Algonquin.
That's New Jersey for you.

But it could be worse, could be Pittsburgh.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 10:50 AM

I don't thinking parking a chopper in a street spot is convenient, though, as opposed to adding a pad on top of your house.
You're right it's not convenient, but it sure is hilarious when you're landing it. Watching everyone scream and run is just great.

Oh, and I finally beat that damn UL Paper mission. Now I just have to get past the Packie mission where you run away from the cops in the police van.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 11:25 AM

After I finished the game I found a Ferrari Dealer 1 block from my safehouse on the second island. Now I just walk over and take my pick... not to mention it is more fun driving a car off the showroom floor through the window.

I also noticed the attack heli is only at the airport after you finish the last quest.
So what does 200 birds give you? I heard you get the chopper but I already found it without the birds.

Finally got into the Statue of liberty last week. Totally cool and worth the trouble.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 11:26 AM

After I finished the game I found a Ferrari Dealer 1 block from my safehouse on the second island. Now I just walk over and take my pick... not to mention it is more fun driving a car off the showroom floor through the window.

I also noticed the attack heli is only at the airport after you finish the last quest.
So what does 200 birds give you? I heard you get the chopper but I already found it without the birds.

Finally got into the Statue of liberty last week. Totally cool and worth the trouble.
It's even more fun to take the ferrari on the top floor facing the window.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 11:31 AM

Yep, I was all about the Tursimos until i found the NRGs.

The beautiful thing about the Tursimos is the rear engine means the car takes a nice long beating before it stalls.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 11:40 AM

sorry for being lazy, again.
I just started playing and have a question.

45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 11:49 AM

If you have a choice, the arrow over their head will flash blue then red. You don't have a choice with him.

Also, if you use the spoiler tag, it helps if you indicate how far into the game your spoilers are from. Since you've picked up this game just recently, chances are you are safe posting any question out in the open. Most of us are at 60%+

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks, will do.
45/47

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 12:07 PM

So car experts... does the viper suck as much in real life? It feels heavy with a big wobbly ass.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 12:14 PM

I never have anything good to say about American sports cars, but its not like I actually drove it or anything.

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 01:15 PM

I did a race last night with the Corvette (Croquette?). It sucked. It was a fishtailing mofo like I've never seen. I nearly lost the race because I kept spinning out of control on some turns. Didn't help that it was raining as well. All of the other racers were in hotrods.

So far I'm 100% on the races though. Its pretty easy since the other racers always take turns too fast and end up crashing. Brucie says I've done all the races, but I've only won 9 according to my stats. Isn't the (xbox) achievement for 20 races?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 01:17 PM

Yes, you're exactly right on all counts.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2008, 01:54 PM

I think I messed up on a date with Kate. Went on a 2nd or 3rd date with her, thought I could score so I tried my luck. She said no. Her fondness dropped to 10% and now she won't answer my calls. How do I get to go on a date with her again?

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by iRebound View Post
I think I messed up on a date with Kate. Went on a 2nd or 3rd date with her, thought I could score so I tried my luck. She said no. Now I'm only at 10% with her and she won't answer my calls. How do I get to go on a date with her again?
I've been trying to get in her pants for ages. She's a prude. But I'm assuming that she'll call you at some point and ask you to go out. Although, I'm not sure I've ever gotten her down to 10%. I would just wait it out, call her occasionally if she doesn't call you first.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 02:01 PM

Kate will not ever let you go inside with her. So don't bother trying.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 02:02 PM

Oh on the first day I tried to set up dates with guys with the online dating site but they all turned me down.

I wish rockstar realized that gay guys play the game also and some sort of non-typical-straight-asshole content would have been nice.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 02:04 PM

Oh on the first day I tried to set up dates with guys with the online dating site but they all turned me down.

I wish rockstar realized that gay guys play the game also and some sort of non-typical-straight-asshole content would have been nice.
There was a mission where I had to "date" a guy. Too bad I shot him in the face. With a shotgun.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Except that the rocket launcher costs about $15,000 and each rocket costs something like $7000 (just from memory, could be off by a bit).

And check how much you've spent on healthcare. You'll be thankful for the money. $10,000 would be gone in a day.
Time traveling post? I don't know how I missed this earlier.

All I can say is I get my sniper and rocket ammo for free in north Algonquin. Never pay for armor, either.

Originally Posted by iRebound View Post
I think I messed up on a date with Kate. Went on a 2nd or 3rd date with her, thought I could score so I tried my luck. She said no. Her fondness dropped to 10% and now she won't answer my calls. How do I get to go on a date with her again?
Wasn't her mentioning they really weren't dates and she was glad just have a friend not hint enough?

Not that I'm interested in it, but I would be disappointed too, since they alluded to it with the couples site.

What bothered me was that I couldn't even try to date any of the girls. I figured finding out who had special abilities to unlock would be hit or miss, but instead they give me two whole girls to choose from. Yikes.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 02:18 PM

Nice find.

I do love the thunder in the game. Nothing throws me off more when the controller vibrates out of nowhere and the sound system gives a giant crack.

Edit: Time-travel.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 02:19 PM

Not that I'm interested in it, but I would be disappointed too, since they alluded to it with the couples site.
The first day I got it a few friends of mine called me to ask me how it was. I said it is good BUT I had to go on 3 dates with a girl, had to go to a strip club and 3 people said I had titty breath. So in other words a bad start.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 02:19 PM

Cool Story: Was trying over and over to get to see the beating heart thing in the Statue of Happiness, and about the 4th try I finally got there. On this try, it was lightning and thundering outside (in the game!) which made it all the more eerie climbing up that later with the controller vibrating and loud roars of thunder. The heart was pretty cool - I'm surprised you can't do damage to it. I tried shooting it and everything, and then randomly chucked a grenade upwards to it, and I killed a flying rat! Couldn't even see or hear that one, I don't know how I would have gotten it without just screwing around chucking grenades!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 04:12 PM

So car experts... does the viper suck as much in real life? It feels heavy with a big wobbly ass.
The Viper isn't known for it's handling, but it has oodles of power.

My pick for best car is the Turismo, I know, very popular pick...but still.

The Coquette seems to have little redeeming qualities other than style. The Banshee is fast but gets slippery way to easily. The Comet is bullet-fast which almost makes it to hard to drive. The Infernus is so scarce I don't even bother looking for it. The Super GT can't take nearly as much damage and doesn't handle as well as the Turismo.

I have 4 Turismos at two safehouses. Two Comets at another, and two cop cars at the fourth.

Also, it's scary how much damage you can dish out with the Patriot. At half speed you can send cars flipping through the air.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 04:16 PM

The best car I had in the game was the Porsche. At least I think it was one. That sucker handled like a dream and was fast as hell.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 04:24 PM

Yeah, the Comet has always (since VC) been the best car in every respect.

I just find it accelerates so fast in third gear that I end up careening off the road. The Turismo ain't the fastest car, but she handles like a dream.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2008, 04:29 PM

You guys really need to get a Sultan RS. Puts all the other cars to shame.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 04:36 PM

Blech, the Sultan RS is a hog in the handling department. At least for me.

If I had to win a race I would choose a Turismo every time.

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 04:38 PM

I jacked a bus last night. I did it just before I picked up Packie to play some pool. He didn't even think twice and got right in and sat in the front row seats.

And that thing is just amazing for plowing over cars and people. I took it on a bridge and got to a pretty high speed and just destroyed about 5 cars that were in the 2 lanes. The bus barely even flinched. I may try to see how long I can last in a bus while getting chased by police. I want to see how many cop cars I can obliterate with it.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 04:51 PM

The best car I had in the game was the Porsche. At least I think it was one. That sucker handled like a dream and was fast as hell.
I think it's definitely up there. Top two.

You guys really need to get a Sultan RS. Puts all the other cars to shame.
Unless of course you need to turn under braking. The thing is a total right-off as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Blech, the Sultan RS is a hog in the handling department. At least for me.

If I had to win a race I would choose a Turismo every time.
I've done it with a Blista. The AI is an embarrassment.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I jacked a bus last night. I did it just before I picked up Packie to play some pool. He didn't even think twice and got right in and sat in the front row seats.

And that thing is just amazing for plowing over cars and people. I took it on a bridge and got to a pretty high speed and just destroyed about 5 cars that were in the 2 lanes. The bus barely even flinched. I may try to see how long I can last in a bus while getting chased by police. I want to see how many cop cars I can obliterate with it.
Back in the good ol' days (III- when any carnage gained you money) I used to drop everything if I saw the Flatbed. The thing was awesome. It took a beating, and plowed through anything that got in its way.

With the new handling system and no free money for damage it's not quite the same to go on Flatbed sprees, but it still holds it own. Nowadays, a Turismo with it's mid-engine is great for flying down sidewalks.

I mentioned to a buddy that I want to try doing a drive-by online with a Limo.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 04:53 PM

GTA III: Barracks OL FTW.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 04:54 PM

BTW in III, did you ever get the tank up to insane speeds by turning the turret behind you and firing to propel you forward?

The longest jump I ever managed in III was with the tank using this method.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 04:56 PM

GTA III: Barracks OL FTW.
When I could get my hands on one, yes.

BTW in III, did you ever get the tank up to insane speeds by turning the turret behind you and firing to propel you forward?

The longest jump I ever managed in III was with the tank using this method.
I played around with it a bit, but I just enjoyed everything that touched me exploding.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 05:02 PM

I always found it odd that when the military was after you the tanks would only ram you and not use their main guns.

Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2008, 05:47 PM

Speaking of drive-by's, I wonder if you can load up a bus with a bunch of players and do a massive drive-by with it. That would be quite sick.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 21, 2008, 07:46 PM

But it could be worse, could be Pittsburgh.
hmm i wonder if that was a direct attack on me...haha
i think so.

About the car situation, i must say the comet is by far the best car for all around driving/racing IMO, the turismo is a close second (actually listed as my car of choice), about the viper (banshee) actually a good friend of mines dad had a SRT10 Viper that i drove around the block once (just balls to the walls power) and it handled pretty nice for the 5 minutes i was in it but definitely need to watch the downshifts and high revs for the rear end to slip out real quick.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Speaking of drive-by's, I wonder if you can load up a bus with a bunch of players and do a massive drive-by with it. That would be quite sick.
I've already carried two other peeps, but far as I can tell seat placement is random.

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
hmm i wonder if that was a direct attack on me...haha
i think so.
Just a friendly jab.

---

Man, I died a ton last night (like 3 times). I died to a nade on a vigilante mission, which was infuriating. I did something like a 20 minute last stand at the Middle Park bathroom, but only managed to get up to 5 stars before I got bored (its like 30 - 60 sec between attacks). I also found two more pigeons at a hospital, one on a roof at like 10 then 20 stories (two on one building is such BS. I was kicking myself for continuing onto the roof until I discovered the second pigeon). Next game they need to address some kind of simplification/automation for going up stairs. It's pretty tedious.

I wrecked with Kate on my bike. She's all über pissed at me now. No more bikes for dates, I think (Gettin' close with Dwayne, though, like 80%. Last ride he didn't say anything -- I think I've officially exhausted his stories. Thank god).

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 11:09 AM

Next game they need to address some kind of simplification/automation for going up stairs. It's pretty tedious.
Jump up the stairs. You move a LOT faster.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 11:12 AM

Faster, but not less tedious.

Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 11:33 AM

Yeah its sucks that you can't sprint up stairs. You should be able to tap A and have him skip steps like people do when they're rushing up the stairs.

But I also use the jumping technique. It works but sometimes I get all turned around or get caught up on some piece of the environment.

This question is in regards to the last part of the game:

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 11:38 AM

Even worse than stairs is ladders. It is almost impossible to grab one if you are in water and almost as hard on land when you are standing right in front of it. I remember this being an issue in the older games also and they didn't seem to fix it at all.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 11:39 AM

I don't even remember using ladders in other versions, but I did notice in multi I couldn't grab a ladder while in the water.

Forum Links
Forum Rules