Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro suitable for Graphic Design

Macbook Pro suitable for Graphic Design
thenickt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2009, 02:45 AM

Hi I'm currently a graphic design student and i'm in the market for a macbook pro. As i hav a late 2006 white macbook and isn't up to par to standards now. But onto the question..
Which macbook pro should i consider for graphic design. I would be using Adobe's CS4 and maybe other applications in the future. I know many say to go for the 17" but its out of my budget and my ability to lug around. thanks!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 03:10 AM

Well, if the 17" is out of your budget, I guess it's gonna be a 15".

You got the choice of three different CPUs, the merrier the better.
All depends on your budget.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2009, 03:13 AM

So what is your budget then? If you say graphical work but you rule out the 17" everybody will point to the 15". Kind of obvious, no?

On a more practical note, if you're on a tight budget be sure to check out the refurb store. Also, the low-end 15" model comes with only integrated graphics (like the 13" MB(P)s). CS4 isn't exactly known to be a set of apps that makes heavy use of a dedicated GPU and lots of VRAM today. So that could be a possible option to reduce cost too.

thenickt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2009, 03:14 AM

ah true true. Just curious, does the matte option really provide nicer and more accurate colors? As to me, it seems like the only problem ppl have with the new glossy screens is the reflective glass. Does a coating of the screen really distort color quality?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2009, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by thenickt View Post
ah true true. Just curious, does the matte option really provide nicer and more accurate colors? As to me, it seems like the only problem ppl have with the new glossy screens is the reflective glass. Does a coating of the screen really distort color quality?
There's a huge religious debate on the issue. But in reality, there is no right or wrong. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. In the end it all boils down to personal preference. You should buy what you like best. Don't believe anyone who claims one is objectively better than the other. Ignore the self-procalimed 'graphics/media professionals' (of which there are millions, at least in forums). And most importantly, don't believe anyone who claims you can only get work xyz done with screen uvw. That's all baloney. Go to an Apple store or Apple dealer and look at both side by side. Consider ambient lighting at the store and where you'd use the screen. Decide which one you like best. Get that one. Everything else is irrelevant.

Thorzdad
Sep 10, 2009, 09:09 AM

As a designer/illustrator, I would have a very hard time working on a small screen, like a 17". I can't imagine how cramped a 15" would feel. I do my work on a 23" Cinema Display, and even it gets a bit crowded sometimes. As for the matte vs. gloss debate...I tend to fall on the matte side of things. Again, personal preferences. I've always felt a gloss screen tends to exaggerate contrast and saturation of colors. Again, that's up to you and your eyes.

Personally, I don't know of anyone who solely relies on a laptop to get their design or illustration work done, especially when dealing with color-critical work. I'm sure they're out there. I just don't know any of them, personally.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 02:05 PM

A 15" MBP should have enough speed to work well with Adobe's CS 4 suite.

I'd recommend choosing the basic model and add as much RAM as you can.

I mean, I work on a two year-old 24" white iMac which I maxed out to 3 Gb RAM. Even 500 Mb files are no problem, you just need to wait up to 30 seconds for the TIFF saving process.

The key problem is - Thorzdad mentioned it, too - that you can't do graphics work on even a 17" monitor. If you want you computer to be mobile, get an external display. Then it doesn't really matter how big your laptop screen is (except when you have to have a laptop to do exercises in class).

Also: any laptop display will not allow you to be very precise in terms of color and contrast. Laptop displays have come a long way, but are - in my opinion - still not good enough to do final versions of photography.

So ideally you'd have an external monitor and an external keyboard at home and a display as large as possible on your MBP for classroom work.

And don't forget to buy a screen calibration device like the Eye One Display Two. You will need to calibrate your monitor(s).

Check out the educational discounts with Apple. And with Adobe, too, of course. This should ease your pain. If you finance, be very, very careful about those 0% offers out there. Read the small print, or you'll be paying through the nose.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2009, 02:13 PM

Yeah, rather get a pimped out 13" and a 24" monitor than just a 15" MBP.

-t

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Personally, I don't know of anyone who solely relies on a laptop to get their design or illustration work done, especially when dealing with color-critical work. I'm sure they're out there. I just don't know any of them, personally.
I use my MacBook Pro to do all my illustration work on, that's around 200 children's books, all illustrated using a MacBook Pro 15in. I do however have it attached to a 24in screen, and I'm getting a 30in next week. I also use an A3 wacom tablet. The Mac sits closed up under the screen all day long. I have used the 15in screen for emergencies (evening deadlines or quick jobs at clients offices) but I wouldn't want to work on it for real.

I don't think I could use a glossy screen at all though!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Sep 10, 2009, 02:51 PM

As I said...solely relies on a laptop. Obviously, you're running an augmented system. Notably, you're avoiding the tiny screen and using some proper-sized screens. Very cool. Good luck with that 30.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I use my MacBook Pro to do all my illustration work on, that's around 200 children's books, all illustrated using a MacBook Pro 15in. I do however have it attached to a 24in screen, and I'm getting a 30in next week. I also use an A3 wacom tablet. The Mac sits closed up under the screen all day long. I have used the 15in screen for emergencies (evening deadlines or quick jobs at clients offices) but I wouldn't want to work on it for real.

I don't think I could use a glossy screen at all though!
Do you use the 15" screen for tools - as in a two monitor set-up?

thenickt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
As a designer/illustrator, I would have a very hard time working on a small screen, like a 17". I can't imagine how cramped a 15" would feel. I do my work on a 23" Cinema Display, and even it gets a bit crowded sometimes. As for the matte vs. gloss debate...I tend to fall on the matte side of things. Again, personal preferences. I've always felt a gloss screen tends to exaggerate contrast and saturation of colors. Again, that's up to you and your eyes.

Luckily, i had beforehand purchased a 23" screen from costco just recently. So my screen size issue isn't top priority for me. I do realize that many professionals, such as
Doc HM, require much more than a laptop for illustration/graphic design.
However, i'm only a student in this field and not many of my counterparts have powerful macs like the mac pros. The imacs are a really good deal in terms of performance, however they're not mobile.
Fortunately the macbook pros have come a long way and seem to be able to compare with some of the imacs. (not the mac pros for sure XD). I've decided to go with the macbook pro 15" of which is 2.8 ghz. With my student discount it seems appropriate. I realize that the graphics on that model is overkill but i want my mac to last for at least 3 years. Additionally, Snow Leopard is able to utilize the GPU now. thanks for all the help!

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2009, 12:20 AM

I just bought the midrange Macbook Pro 15in and don't regret it one bit. I got the matte screen and I highly suggest doing so for anyone getting one. No reflections and it looks pretty awesome in person. I was hesitant at first but I don't regret it one bit.
Bla Bla Bla

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2009, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by sogbrightlight View Post
I got the matte screen and I highly suggest doing so for anyone getting one.
Wrong. I'll say it again. It's a personal preference. Why should your personal preference be the same as everybody else's? Everybody should get what they like best. Just like you did. The result will be different but that's ok.

AltecXP
Sep 14, 2009, 11:10 PM

I know professional designers that use the 13in even. They use use a bigger LCD when at home.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, rather get a pimped out 13" and a 24" monitor than just a 15" MBP.

-t
what he said

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Wrong. I'll say it again. It's a personal preference. Why should your personal preference be the same as everybody else's? Everybody should get what they like best. Just like you did. The result will be different but that's ok.
Easy killer. I'm not saying he has to go matte. I'm merely indicating that "I" think it looks better than the glossy for the mere fact that it lacks the reflections. I'm not a matte fanboy by any stretch. So I don't see where I'm wrong.
Bla Bla Bla

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AltecXP View Post
I know professional designers that use the 13in even. They use use a bigger LCD when at home.
No doubt a few pros do use the 13" MBP. However my guess is it will be very few because although it "works" the 13" size is in general not a particularly good choice for heavy graphics work.

• Graphic design is about seeing and working with graphic imagery. Smaller display size is hugely limiting to professional work. The extra screen real estate if the 15" or the 17" generally is well worth the extra pound or two to graphics pros unless one has a particular weight-carrying limitation.

• Yes one can add a large display ("desktop replacement" mode) but then one is using Apple's weakest laptop as a graphics desktop replacement box which is probably not an ideal strategy.

• The 13" size is glossy-only. Matte vs. glossy is indeed a matter of personal preference, however the personal preference of most pros (not all) is to choose NOT to have the display arbitrarily add contrast and saturation to their images.

• Graphics files today tend to large mass storage requirements making the smaller stock hard drives immediately limiting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules