Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Apple blows Aqua-Soft out of the water

Apple blows Aqua-Soft out of the water
Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 05:19 AM

Seems like Apple has sent a "Cease and desist" letter to Aqua-Soft. That'll teach them for trying to simulate OSX on WiinXP.

Forum thread

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 05:26 AM

If the guy really wants to fight Apple on this or fails to comply, he sure is discussing it in the wrong place. He talks about going to a Yahoo! internet forum to discuss a course of action but doesn't realize that information can be supoenaed.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 06:41 AM

They're just asking for further complications from Apple with the posts in that thread.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 08:05 AM

Its hard to believe all the crazy faux aqua apps now on XP. There is a fake finder, iphoto, safari etc..

Apple needs to protect their properties!

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 09:18 AM

What about the people in there posting that they were just about to purchase a mac, but because of this - they're going to boycott.

macmike42
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 09:49 AM

Damn, no more tom-foolery on screenshots.haque.net?

Seriously, these guys so had it coming. I can see wanting an Aqua-like theme for your existing Windows or Linux apps, but it escalated to the point where folks are completely ripping off every single one of Apple's applications right down to the last pixel. Hell, they aren't even *naming* them differently. They even ripped of the OS X about box. Even if these folks were about to buy Macs, this just gives them all the more reason to do so.

It's like if Adobe suddenly disabled your pirated copy of Photoshop and you said "Hey! I was just about to buy that! Now you can forget about it!"
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

darrick
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 11:30 AM

gotta agree with macmike.

i have always thought it odd that apple has been going after aqua schemes and themes for macs and yet seemed to be leaving aqua mods for windows alone.

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 25, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Nathan Adams:
What about the people in there posting that they were just about to purchase a mac, but because of this - they're going to boycott.

Theyre full of it, either theyre just talking big or they will still end up getting one anyway.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 01:47 PM

What's funny is that they link directly to Apple.com from thier home page... ummm ok.

Mac Guru

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 02:05 PM

Want a Mac, get a Mac. If they can make the look and feel of OS X on a Windows machine, they lose some of the advantage they spent time, effort and money on creating.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2003, 02:16 PM

Bullsh*t, they were going to purchase a Mac... hehe...
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Feb 26, 2003 at 11:21 AM. )

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 08:33 PM

I think that making iapp/life clones is going a bit too far. I also think ripping the layout of apple.com is a bad thing. I don't think that having a theme that is Mac'ish is really a bad thing.

I mean it's a computer, a means to an end, you should be able to customize it the way you want. I mean there are a few win port themes floating around here too. (Watercolor, MacosXP, FatalE, to name a few).

Besides there genuinely are people who have gone and bought a mac after using some themes beforehand.

Also going and telling off people because you disagree with them doesn't win any friends, at best it turns people off. I mean who's going to say oh, I'm so wrong thanks for telling me off and putting me in my place.

Anyway, to make a long story short, cloning of iapps=bad. Sharing of themes between platforms=good. In my opinion.
( Last edited by smoke-tetsu; Feb 25, 2003 at 08:39 PM. )

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 08:42 PM

The aqua theme cost Apple hundreds of thosands of dollars to develop and is intellectual property. It's not right for other companies to capitalize on this without Apple's permission.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 08:49 PM

AFAIK no one except Pixtudio (who make original theme suites) makes money off their themes so there is *NO* capitalisation going on. But, to put the shoe on the other foot:

*edit from original*
"The Luna\Watercolor theme cost Microsoft hundreds of thosands of dollars to develop and is intellectual property. It's not right for other companies to capitalize on this without Microsoft's permission"
*edit*

Now, the ones who made watercolor\Luna for OSX did it for fun and not for money. But still, same thing.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 09:00 PM

It's one thing to make a new artistic rendition, it's another thing to copy as it appears these guys did (Mac OS about box, etc.)

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 09:08 PM

It's still taking a theme which is not yours and putting it on another system. Just as making a artistic rendition of a can of coca cola.

Though, I'm not proposing you take down those themes. BUT, just try to think from the other side a little. Most themes which are ported to win *ARE* artitistic renditions as in how you say because of differences in the systems.

I do agree with you about the about box, ilife clones, aqua apps, though.
( Last edited by smoke-tetsu; Feb 25, 2003 at 09:32 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 11:03 PM

The issue and the difference was the copyrighted stuff such as the Logos and about box, like he said though. Had they NOT included, I doubt it would be much fuss. The XP theme by Max Rudberg has no reference to Microsoft nor Windows in the theme. It just looks like it. I think that is where the line was drawn, I'm sure.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 11:33 PM

not exactly. even the more trivial elements are still considered intellectual property.
what apple wants to protect is then ENTIRE Aqua look. that's pinstripes, traffic lights, lucida grande, so on and so forth. Aqua is a highly marketable part of OS X, and shoddy ripoffs damage that. Not only does it make it less of a unique feature, but also for people who experience a badly done aqua theme, their perception of the real aqua and os x is taken down quite a few nothches.

I think many of the XP themes for mac are crossing the line just as much. You might get away with a trivial colour scheme (blue, green, and that light tan) - but as soon as you see the specific highlights on those colours, the widgets, etc - that's infringement, and MS has just as much reason to shut them down as Apple has with aqua-soft. They just, obviously, haven't bothered yet.

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 11:42 PM

You said it, Nathan.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 26, 2003, 10:49 AM

I am betting most are fibbing.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2003, 11:18 AM

OK. Let me tell this to Apple if they are reading these silly posts:

I started out on a PC. I used to customise the crap out of it with WinMac, an app that would add a mac finder bar thingy to the top of my screen, it really worked!
I also used all of the wonderful os 8 style icons.
I also used an os 8 theme (that was all they had back then, 'cause that was all there was on a mac at the time) with windowblinds. I was one of the first to use this...even in beta.

I used actual mac desktop images.

The cursor too.

I even aquired the freeking startup sound.

It really, really, really, felt like a mac.

You know what? I realized that I was a closset mac user. When I actually got on a mac, I felt like somone had delivered what I was really looking for! As soon as I could afford a mac, I ran right out and grabbed one.

So, my point is, is that there are a lot of PC users out there (or so it seems) that are really digging the mac, but havn't fully come to the light side. Let them drool, let them squirm, let them try the fakey stuff, 'cause when they feel the real deal, they will find a way to switch.

2.567193 cents,

Ryan

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2003, 11:44 AM

in an ideal world that would be the case.
but for a company like Apple that is much more dependant on image and marketing than it's competitors - it's not something one can let slide.

Intellectual Property is something that SHOULD be heavily protected. I say that as a designer - and god forbid if anyone rips even the slightest thing off me.

If Apple doesn't pursue this, then they may aswell throw in the towel and let competitors start sticking apple logos on their cases.

What if I was to develop my own open source OS (for education, of course ), and wacked an Aqua ripoff GUI over it? My defence would be on the same grounds as what people over on the aqua-soft forum are claiming now wouldn't I? But it's still a grossly obvious infringement.

To cut it short.
what they are doing is illegal. Apple is going about it the right way and merely sending a cease and desist. It is perfectly acceptable, if not neccesary for them to do this. these themers should, thus, stop bitching

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2003, 07:56 PM

"What about the people in there posting that they were just about to purchase a mac"
nah they'd probably never buy one, don't get your hopes up like that. And apple were well in their right to do this seen as if i remeber rightly aqua soft were charging for their stupid visual basic (probably) apps and thus making money off someone elses images/concept/trademark

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2003, 10:37 PM

You people are ****ing morons. And you wonder why people think mac users are the anally retentive arrogant ****wits that you guys are. Whats wrong with people on WINDOWS (yeah I said it, so shoot me) trying to make their desktop a little more pleasing to the eyes? I am a loyal visiter to aqua-soft, and I hope they do fight it. Apple cant do **** really. All the 'aqua-apps' are coded in VB, so they arnt ripping code. And as for the UI, we've been through that one before (apple v.s. MS). Nothing has ever come of it. I would honestly like to know whats flowing through your idiotic minds to attack a very small community that actually loves (loved) apple and their system. And to post this kind of thread, praising the demise of a customization site on another platform? Are you people daft? I really think you've done it this time, and I hope the word gets spread about the way you guys act, and the way Apple is treating sites like aqua-soft.

I'd also like to know why the administrators here let this go. It's obviously wrong to be allowing this kind of thread. Perhaps they should spend more time weeding out the idots here than allowing this kind of harassment to take place.

Yeah, you guys are really cool. You honestly should be ashamed of yourselves.

Chris
( Last edited by kmkkid; Feb 26, 2003 at 10:46 PM. )

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 10:45 PM

The point is that they are trying to make a computer running Windows to appear to be a Mac and using the intellectual property Apple has established. If you want a Mac, get a Mac, not a Windows machine that can't pull it off. Some stretch of a scheme might be one thing, but trying to copy things (again, like the Mac OS X About box) wouldn't be acceptable (or hold up in court).

Your insults encourage the rest of us to ignore your path.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2003, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by schalliol:
The point is that they are trying to make a computer running Windows to appear to be a Mac and using the intellectual property Apple has established. If you want a Mac, get a Mac, not a Windows machine that can't pull it off. Some stretch of a scheme might be one thing, but trying to copy things (again, like the Mac OS X About box) wouldn't be acceptable (or hold up in court).

Your insults encourage the rest of us to ignore your path.
My 'insults' are 100% fair in this case. Since when has it become customary to gloat when a site has been taken down? This all happened because of some 'squeelers' on here. It's dirty, and it's shamefull. And sorry to burst your bubble, but windows can 'pull off' alot more customization wise than the Mac OS ever could. If it couldnt, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Why must you guys be so evnvious?

Oh and get a Mac? Maybe a whole lot more wont now, because of Apple's escapades. Perhaps this thread should be announced on a certain windows-centric site where alot happen to like the OS X look on thier Intel box. That might lose apple a few hundred sales.

And dont get me wrong. I love Apple and OS X, but this is a dirty, and disgusting move on apple's, and certains users on here's part.

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
"What about the people in there posting that they were just about to purchase a mac"
nah they'd probably never buy one, don't get your hopes up like that. And apple were well in their right to do this seen as if i remeber rightly aqua soft were charging for their stupid visual basic (probably) apps and thus making money off someone elses images/concept/trademark
Funny I dont remember any aqua apps ever being sold Now your just making things up.

Chris

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
You people are ****ing morons. And you wonder why people think mac users are the anally retentive arrogant ****wits that you guys are. Whats wrong with people on WINDOWS (yeah I said it, so shoot me) trying to make their desktop a little more pleasing to the eyes? I am a loyal visiter to aqua-soft, and I hope they do fight it. Apple cant do **** really. All the 'aqua-apps' are coded in VB, so they arnt ripping code. And as for the UI, we've been through that one before (apple v.s. MS). Nothing has ever come of it. I would honestly like to know whats flowing through your idiotic minds to attack a very small community that actually loves (loved) apple and their system. And to post this kind of thread, praising the demise of a customization site on another platform? Are you people daft? I really think you've done it this time, and I hope the word gets spread about the way you guys act, and the way Apple is treating sites like aqua-soft.

I'd also like to know why the administrators here let this go. It's obviously wrong to be allowing this kind of thread. Perhaps they should spend more time weeding out the idots here than allowing this kind of harassment to take place.

Chris
Chris, in all seriousness, get a life. What a completely useless and flame-filled post. Why is it wrong to allow this kind of thread? I think you are the only one here who insulted anyone. There WAS an good discussion about intellectual property going on here until you came in and called everyone "f**king morons." How about contributing to the discussion insead of hurling inflammatory language? The only post here the admins should be concerned about is yours.

Now, back to the topic. I have been a Mac user for 10 years and have also dabbled in "The Dark Side." When I was forced to use a PC, I used alot of those themes to make it look more like a Mac. Big deal. Yes, it's intellectual property, but do you seriously think someone is going to mistake my computer for a Mac?

flyakite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 11:31 PM

Alright, this is entirely childish. I'm not going to insult anyone, but before you flame me, at least listen to what I have to say.

I generally try to be tolerant of anyone, but there are some of you that are so hypocritical and just naive that it's not even funny.

Listen, a computer is just a tool/toy. That's it. Technically, yes, intellectual copyright infringement is illegal, but what what those at aqua-soft are doing is all in fun.

We obviously love the Mac OS, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this. We want a Mac, but we can't afford it. A lot of us already have computers, or are students, and so the prospect of buying a new one isn't a possibility. So for now this is what we do, and it's just for enjoyment. Personally, I will be buying a new iMac this summer once I start working again, but until then I just make my PC look like OS X. There are many users at aqua-soft who own both a Mac and a PC and they understand what is going on.

You Mac users at least have VirtualPC and can run Windows XP, but it doesn't work that way for us Windows users. We can't run OS X, so just give us this at least.

So just let it go. Try to be mature about the situation. No one is making a profit off of the enjoyment we are trying to get from our PCs. We are a small community of people who enjoy the mimicking of OS X, that's it. We don't advertise ourselves or anything.

Apple and Microsoft are both multi-billion dollar companies. The things that our small community do don't hurt anyone in anyway. We don't put Apple logos on flags and burn them. We love OS X, just let us be.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Feb 26, 2003, 11:48 PM

Chris
No one here actually got Aqua-Soft in trouble with Apple. Apple Legal generally hears about things like this via word of mouth (such is the internet) and then sends a C&D to sites that are displaying especially flagrant copyright violations. A number of people here happen to agree with it. Some don't. Don't get into this silly flame war just because you disagree with people on this point. Be civil.

No one "attacked" the community. Apple employees browse the internet too, and quite frankly, they're probably more likely to report such violations than some random user anyway.

In addition, while you are entitled to your opinion, comparing Apple's and Microsoft's responses to these kinds of copyright violations is misleading unless you take into account their respective market shares. IMHO.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

no404
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 11:59 PM

I'm new, I was just wondering if there is any truth to this statement -

What will happen to Apple and Microsoft and all Linux GUIs if XEROX corp decides to sue them for
stealing concept of Windows and Icons and Menus and Pointers (known as WIMP) which they
developed some 40 years ago?

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 12:02 AM

There's a statute of limitations here. The case would be thrown out.

no404
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 12:07 AM

Well actually my question is: Did Microsoft, Apple, and Linux steal the "Gimp" idea? (regardless of statute of limitations)

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by flyakite:
Technically, yes, intellectual copyright infringement is illegal, but what what those at aqua-soft are doing is all in fun.
yes, intellectual copyright infringement is illegal. no if's but's or maybe's. it's illegal. Apple has every right to pursue it.

I really have no problem with people wanting to warp their PC with mac themes. Fine, do it. What I do have a problem with is people who know what they're doing is illegal (or at least should), and bitch when Apple follows up on it.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 01:08 AM

What will happen to Apple and Microsoft and all Linux GUIs if XEROX corp decides to sue them for stealing concept of Windows and Icons and Menus and Pointers (known as WIMP) which they developed some 40 years ago?

Originally posted by no404:
I'm new, I was just wondering if there is any truth to this statement -
No. Xerox SOLD the rights to Apple to create the Mac in 1984. They didn't steal it. Same with Microsoft and DOS. They bought it, at a VERY VERY low price that was like stealing, but legal none-the-less. LOL

no404
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 02:07 AM

lol! - ok, they all bought the idea. Thanks, I understand now.
( Last edited by no404; Feb 27, 2003 at 11:57 AM. )

Timan
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2003, 02:30 AM

All apple told "us" to do was to remove the aqua apps from the site and to stop promoting them. The site will still remain and the whole win-aqua faze will still live long and strong, for those who gripe about it really need to get a life, or are yall so damn bored you have to actually worry about other users and if they make their pc look like a mac? so what if they do, i see some MAC themes based off luna, you dont see people griping about that.

Aqua-Soft has been up for a few years now and plan on keeping it up aslong as possible. if yall dont like it oh well just ignore it.
- Tim

Three Drives
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 04:22 AM

I have an apple powerbook and a dell inspiron 7500. I skin the inspiron to look like my powerbook, because out of the 2 interfaces I like the Apple interface the best. I do this so that switching back and forth between the 2 machines I have a familiar interface.

Why must you people act so spoilt? So you got a Mac, great big deal,

"Hey look at that Aqua-soft, Apple should shut them down, YEAH! Shut 'em down".

Think your special now you've got a mac? I'm on my 4th mac in 7 years, believe me all you are acting like is 12 (really 12 not 13) year olds.

Remember the little kids fighting in the 80's, Nintendo is better, NO! Megadrive is better. Trying to justify your purchase to yourself.

I skin, simple. Aqua isn't the only skin I use on my pc, but it's one of them. Why must you continue to persecute me ("yeah apple should sue them!", "that'll teach them" "yeah myann, f*ck em". Acting like little kids.

ALL FOR YOUR SELF GRATIFICATION.

Have some self reflection, see that you are not what you buy, see that you are not the contents of your wallet, see that you ARE just a zombie, (oblivious to what goes on in the world) thoughtless materialistic person.

People are dying out there for no reason, and you have the temerity to say

"Sue em yeah! that'll teach 'em"

Try to see why you do these things, then decide if you want to change your character, if you do, then change,....
them learn to love yourself for who you are, and for who people see when they look at you,.... not for what objects are sitting on your desk.

and then, leave me the hell alone.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2003, 01:25 PM

what's in the water over there in the aqua-soft forums?

NO-ONE has gotten uppity and flown the flag for Apple to sue. I've read through the forums over there, and some of the over-reaction, and downright laughable logic is insane. (submitting them as bug reports.... wtf??)
believe it or not, we're not elitist mac-owning snobs here.

All that's being argued is that it's copyright infringement, it's illegal, and that people should just face the facts and accept it.

Jan Van Boghout
Feb 27, 2003, 03:58 PM

Sheesh, is it so abnormal for Apple to prevent someone from entirely recreating (UI-wise) their OS ? Did everyone forget that they banned Aqua themes for OS 9 back in the time OS X was just born??? They banned themes of their new OS for an older version of their OS. And you complain that two years later they finally decided to say something about Windows software that entirely duplicates their app interfaces? Pffff

schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 04:05 PM

Yeah, at least the classic themes ran on Apple software and hardware that was purchased from them.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Three Drives:
and then, leave me the hell alone.
not a problem, newbie.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
No one here actually got Aqua-Soft in trouble with Apple.
Thats an out and out lie.

Maybe you dont know about it, but a few here certainly did 'tattle' on aqua-soft, it's a fact. I wont point fingers, but they know who they are and they really are a-holes. In case you didnt notice, nothing was done or said to aqua-soft in months untill a few posts were made here that rilled certain individuals, and sent them whining to Apple.

If you dont want to believe it fine, but dont say that this forum's users didnt take part, cause they did.

And I'm sorry I made some harsh comments, but this is really small of people to do. I was mad. And especially, that Dace guy making this topic and gloating, when he himself is making illegal renditions of luna/XP graphics (trying to make his mac look like windows, funnilly enough). It's just so hypocritical, it's sad.

Chris

swiz
GUI Punk
Feb 27, 2003, 05:55 PM

Thats an out and out lie.

Maybe you dont know about it, but a few here certainly did 'tattle' on aqua-soft, it's a fact. I wont point fingers, but they know who they are and they really are a-holes. In case you didnt notice, nothing was done or said to aqua-soft in months untill a few posts were made here that rilled certain individuals, and sent them whining to Apple.

If you dont want to believe it fine, but dont say that this forum's users didnt take part, cause they did.

And I'm sorry I made some harsh comments, but this is really small of people to do. I was mad. And especially, that Dace guy making this topic and gloating, when he himself is making illegal renditions of luna/XP graphics (trying to make his mac look like windows, funnilly enough). It's just so hypocritical, it's sad.

Chris
Chris,
I hope you arent referring to me as one who tattled. I was the one who started the initial thread about what Aqua Soft was doing but I was just letting people know how much more advanced PC GUI alteration is than Mac and that it was pretty damn cool.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Chris,
I hope you arent referring to me as one who tattled. I was the one who started the initial thread about what Aqua Soft was doing but I was just letting people know how much more advanced PC GUI alteration is than Mac and that it was pretty damn cool.
No, not you

Others who were outright in their hatred towards the site.

Chris

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 07:15 PM

No, not you

Others who were outright in their hatred towards the site.

Chris
Don't be ridiclious- it's a known fact Apple patrols these boards and Aqua-Soft had a huge following in the design community.

They could found out without direct help easily.

no404
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 07:21 PM

I think maybe, I could be wrong, there was another board (macosx.com) where members were talking about filing bug reports or something like that. If i'm in error, please forgive.

Xab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2003, 08:44 PM

"That'll teach them for trying to simulate OS X on WinXP"?

Get off your high horse. Since when is a theme for Windows your exclusive right? No one is making money off of the Aqua themes for Win XP, and no one is making money off the docks or any other OS X like software floating around. It's all free, and done because the developers enjoy it, and people like it.

I suppose proprietary is all you people understand, after all, having had to deal with a company that charged you out the ass for every little thing because you can't get it from a third party.

There was actually a time I considered buying a mac, but the more I look around, anytime the little cult of mac users pokes their head around the internet, nothing but ignorance and blind defense of Apple pukes out. Hey I'm glad you want to pay $5,000 for a computer that performs as well as a PC I could put together for $2,000, but do you honestly see PC users whining and bitching when you Mac people use Virtual PC or any of the myriad other programs out there that emulate the PC? Microsoft spent money on their OS and on Luna too, we don't rush out of the woodwork to jump on you for trying to use windows programs that you can't get on a Mac.

I hope Microsoft sends cease-and-desists to the people making PC emulators for OS X, and you can enjoy that. But hey, maybe Apple will sell you something like it for $500.

ambush
Banned
Feb 27, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Xab:
"That'll teach them for trying to simulate OS X on WinXP"?

Get off your high horse. Since when is a theme for Windows your exclusive right? No one is making money off of the Aqua themes for Win XP, and no one is making money off the docks or any other OS X like software floating around. It's all free, and done because the developers enjoy it, and people like it.

I suppose proprietary is all you people understand, after all, having had to deal with a company that charged you out the ass for every little thing because you can't get it from a third party.

There was actually a time I considered buying a mac, but the more I look around, anytime the little cult of mac users pokes their head around the internet, nothing but ignorance and blind defense of Apple pukes out. Hey I'm glad you want to pay $5,000 for a computer that performs as well as a PC I could put together for $2,000, but do you honestly see PC users whining and bitching when you Mac people use Virtual PC or any of the myriad other programs out there that emulate the PC? Microsoft spent money on their OS and on Luna too, we don't rush out of the woodwork to jump on you for trying to use windows programs that you can't get on a Mac.

I hope Microsoft sends cease-and-desists to the people making PC emulators for OS X, and you can enjoy that. But hey, maybe Apple will sell you something like it for $500.
They just bought connectix. so no.

Your points are pure crap anyway.

Btw, please be precise..

I mean I'm a mac user since I'm born and I never touched VPC or any winemulator.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2003, 09:46 PM

VPC was an x86 emulator NOT a Windows Emulator, btw. It runs any OS that runs on x86 hardware, so that arguement does apply. Windows is one of many OSes that VPC can run. However... now that at is owned by Microsoft it might turn into a Windows only emulator. I think it'll get axed, personally.

Forum Links
Forum Rules