Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > instaling fake printer ?!

instaling fake printer ?!
poison
Apr 10, 2003, 12:29 PM

How can i add a new printer that i dont have ? You know, i want the printer to print to file. Im using CorelDraw , Illustrator, Photoshop and want to be able to make print files with the same printer driver that the repro studio is using. They told me to install the Linotronic 930 driver. In windows there were no problems instling new printer that only prints to file. How can i make this happen in Mac Os X ?

poison

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by poison:
How can i add a new printer that i dont have ? You know, i want the printer to print to file. Im using CorelDraw , Illustrator, Photoshop and want to be able to make print files with the same printer driver that the repro studio is using. They told me to install the Linotronic 930 driver. In windows there were no problems instling new printer that only prints to file. How can i make this happen in Mac Os X ?

poison
You don't ned to add a fake printer for that. You can print to PDF. It's in the print dialog.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Terri
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 01:44 PM

From the Apple docs,

Open Print Center, choose Add Printer from the Printers menu, and choose "LPR Printers using IP" (or "IP printing") from the pop-up menu. Type "localhost" (no quotation marks) in the LPR Printer's Address field, choose a printer from the Printer Model pop-up menu, and click Add.

To save a PostScript file, choose the printer named "localhost" in the Print dialog and set the Output Options to save a PostScript file.

To give the printer a better name, deselect "Use Default Queue on Server" and type a name in the Queue Name field when you add the printer. Leave the address as "localhost."

Forum Links
Forum Rules