Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > dumb Mac OS X install disk... why why no system folder?

dumb Mac OS X install disk... why why no system folder?
graphics84
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 02:16 PM

ok, there is obviously some system on that disk... but if my machine freaks out over Booting in OS 9 then why can't I just put in a OS X CD and switch system folders via the START UP DISK in system prefrences... you could do this from 7.5 to 9.2!

so I'm doing a reinstall from OS X cd to see if that makes a diffrence... hopefully after this 15 min install it will boot form OS X again...

what a pisser

I tried the OS 9 cd and got the same results as the OS 9 on the hardrive (something I'd like to coin the "grey screen of bordom")... it just sits there

the Hardware tested fine via Hardware test CD...

is there a better way?

jwblase
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 03:20 PM

There was an update to the OS 9 Startup Disk control panel.

YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT!!!!!! There was a known problem with the control panel in OS 9-9.1 when choosing OS X disks.

Store this on a disk somewhere or on a file. Using it, you will be able to choose the OS X disk with no problem

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by graphics84:
<STRONG>

so I'm doing a reinstall from OS X cd to see if that makes a diffrence... hopefully after this 15 min install it will boot form OS X again...

is there a better way? </STRONG>
don't know what to tell you, other than i completely trashed OSX over the weekend (screwin around with themes) on a flight to see mom, and could only boot into OS 9 when i borrowed a OS 9 installer disk.
after reading apple's webpage i think i'm going to have to wipe my HD then reinstall everything, as it says not to install 10.1 over 10.1.4, i forget what version came with my ibook, oh the humanity!

apple should make the OSX disk bootable like you want it.
and they should also let you pick what OS you want to start from when you boot with the option key down, especially if os 9 and os x are on the same partition, like they are installed by default from the factory. damn you apple.
so i couldn't boot into os 9 from my computer unless i had the damn os 9 disk handy. what a crock of crapola.
with all of OS 9's faults, if you messed something up, at least you usually could boot up with extensions off, fix it, restart and get back to business. or if you res edited the finder to high holy hell, you could boot from OS 9, copy the finder off the cd to the HD and get back to business, or if you really screwed things up, you could install over your old system in 2 or more ways without having to erase anything!

so this was no help, but hopefully the reinstall will go without a hitch.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2002, 06:17 PM

Try OSX gen.
Moving there.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules