Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cd Burners

Cd Burners
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 01:03 AM

what is the fasters cd burners out there. I think its 52 not sure. Also what are the + and _'s for.

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 01:24 AM

Do you mean + and - for DVD burners?

The fastest retail CDR burners I know of are 52x (at the moment, will change tomorrow knowing the market )

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by BrettOZ:
Do you mean + and - for DVD burners?

The fastest retail CDR burners I know of are 52x (at the moment, will change tomorrow knowing the market )
Yes for dvd what does that mean + and -

so 52 is the fastest. I thought I saw a 56 some where I could be wrong.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 04:49 AM

kind of on the subject since I was looking at some 52x burners . . . will iTunes ever be able to import more than one CD at once? Can I burn 2 CD's at once (I think so but with what app)? Will all PC burners work in my Mac tower? anyway who needs faster than 52x beyond that I think my computer would overheat.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2003, 09:50 AM

Burning at 52X is a great way to lose data. It's no surprise that none of the big name media companies recommend burning at 52X.

Plus the speed increase over some "slower" drives is marginal, since the 52X is only at the outer tracks.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 01:16 PM

Apparently, 52x is pretty damn fast for a spinning disk, and there have been reports of them shattering. Personally, I would be more than happy with 48x. That can burn an 80 minute CD in about 1.7 minutes. That's fast enough for me.

Anyway, I think the CD-R age is about to give way to the DVD-R age. I'd say that by Christmas next year (2004), DVD burners will outsell CD burners and blank DVD media will be down around $.25 each.

For help on understanding the various CD and DVD formats, see the DVDRhelp.com. Lots of good info there.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
Apparently, 52x is pretty damn fast for a spinning disk, and there have been reports of them shattering. Personally, I would be more than happy with 48x. That can burn an 80 minute CD in about 1.7 minutes. That's fast enough for me.

Anyway, I think the CD-R age is about to give way to the DVD-R age. I'd say that by Christmas next year (2004), DVD burners will outsell CD burners and blank DVD media will be down around $.25 each.

For help on understanding the various CD and DVD formats, see the DVDRhelp.com. Lots of good info there.
So what does + and - mean in a dvd burner.

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
So what does + and - mean in a dvd burner.
Check the link I included above (specifically this one), but basically they're just different formats. Some are read-only, some let you write once, and some let you rewrite. DVD+R and DVD-R represent two different write once recordable formats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules