Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommendations for networked receiver/amplifier?

Recommendations for networked receiver/amplifier?
Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2015, 11:47 PM

We're finally upgrading our decades-old home audio set-up, and need some 21st century advice, specifically for a new receiver/amp. We need to be able to access via wifi two different Mac laptops, plus connect a CD player, DVD player, TV & turntable. Also needs to support A/B speaker channels.

We currently just use the TV's built-in speakers, which are okay, but wouldn't mind something with a little more fidelity & bottom end.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 23, 2015, 09:59 AM

Well, the problem is two-fold, really.

1) Wireless connectivity
2) Audio connections

My first instinct is to get an Airport Express station, and use that in proximity to the receiver for a network connection and/or an audio out to just about any receiver you want. I'm sure that there are one-box solutions, though.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2015, 03:44 AM

I really like Sony's Receivers.
Lots of features, Bluetooth, WiFi, 4K, lots of inputs.
Sounds great even to these old ears.

Amazon.com: Sony STR-DN850 7.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver (Built-in Wi-fi & Bluetooth): Electronics

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2015, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestions - time to dig deeper into the options (and my pockets).

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2015, 04:53 AM

Another vote for Airport Express. I've got several acting as my multi-room audio distribution.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2015, 05:22 PM

Do you plan on having surround sound? A plain stereo (two channel) receiver is going to get you major bang for the buck.

In the "best value" category I'd go Yamaha. I've guided more than one friend in that direction.

If you want fancier looking, I suggest Harmon Kardon.

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2016, 12:51 PM

No, no surround sound - trying to keep things simple and somewhat on budget. Do you use an iPhone to access & control your Airport Express setup?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2016, 10:51 AM

Yup! Apple makes an app called "Remote", which lets you take control of any instance of iTunes running on your network, and lets you route it to any Airport Express(es) on your network.

It's poorly rated in the App Store, but I don't really have complaints. It could be better, but does what I need it to do.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2016, 11:56 AM

I've done systems with multiple AirPlay destinations- AirPort expresses are nice for this and if no surround sound is needed and you have an iTunes library already on the network, it's a no-brainer. The only thing somewhat tough to swallow is the $100 price tag on Airport Expresses.

If your speakers have optical inputs, you could spring for the cheaper $70 Apple TV

Forum Links
Forum Rules