Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Why the logout?

Why the logout?
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2014, 04:20 PM

Logged into MacNN forums. Began writing a post. Wrote a LONG TEXT. Much work here. 5 year old daughter on her way to sleep demanded that I read her a saga. Went away for 10 minutes to do this. Came back to find myself logged out and my text gone. Very disappointed.

Åke

reader50
Administrator
May 22, 2014, 04:31 PM

If you are inactive for 15 minutes, the board considers you offline. vBulletin3 does not preserve the entered text, which would come out of the blue, since it has forgotten you. When the forum cookie is present, this doesn't happen, regardless of how long you are inactive.

I've long gotten in the habit of writing long replies in a text editor, though part of that is being anal about fixing the typos / grammar / etc. You can often recover lost text if you take your browser offline, then hit the back button.

P
May 22, 2014, 05:29 PM

Or just do Select all - Copy every now and then. That last is especially useful on iOS devices with their limited memory.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules