Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > When is a good time to buy a new PM?!

When is a good time to buy a new PM?!
EveningSky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 04:50 PM

To my knowledge, the last updates to the PowerMac series took place last Aug2004. Usually, Apple brings out updated versions of this line approximately every 6M. I would prefer to not buy now only to witness a superior opportunity with upgraded features for the same $ a short time later. Nonetheless, I have been waiting and am becoming impatient. Does anyone have any advice or (secret info) about when the PM series will be upgraded?
Thank you,
EveningSky
EveningSky

StonedRose
Apr 7, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by EveningSky:
To my knowledge, the last updates to the PowerMac series took place last Aug2004. Usually, Apple brings out updated versions of this line approximately every 6M. I would prefer to not buy now only to witness a superior opportunity with upgraded features for the same $ a short time later. Nonetheless, I have been waiting and am becoming impatient. Does anyone have any advice or (secret info) about when the PM series will be upgraded?
Thank you,
EveningSky
Online stock analysts suggest that Apple will be realease updated products this quarter. I wouldn't be surprised if the PM line was upped a bit.

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 10:39 PM

I would expect major changes to the Powermac line soon, if not in the next few weeks (at NAB) then at WWDC in early June. Now is not a good time to buy, esp. as evidence of Dual core G5 has emerged, and PCI-Express is almost sure to be in the next G5. If you can wait, do it. If you cant wait for a Mac, buy a Mini, it will hardly lose anything in value buy the time the next gen powermac G5 actually ships!
( Last edited by thereubster; Apr 7, 2005 at 10:48 PM. )
Idiot... Slow down

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2005, 10:46 PM

Double post
Idiot... Slow down

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2005, 12:04 AM

When is a good time to buy a new PM?
When you need it.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 02:13 AM

Roger that Scott....and why do we see this question every other day.

New macs are coming out. This statement is ALWAYS 100% TRUE.

So buy one when you need one.

I just bought a refurb dual 1.8 for $1699 and it's fantastic.
If dual core whiz bang blah blah blah G5s come out next week, my dual 1.8 will still be fantastic, and will work just fine. Will it be top of line? No--it isn't even now. But it works great and is much better than anything else for the price.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 08:00 AM

Tough question,
if you can wait, then I'd suggest you do so, otherwise if you need a PM then there's no point and pondering it.

Good Luck
Mike

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 8, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:

So buy one when you need one.
Quite frankly, I think it's obnoxious to give people non-answers such as the above, ESPECIALLY when it's for n00bs coming here looking for information, the guy already has suggested he CAN wait at least a little while and when it's not unreasonable to expect updates relatively soon. It has already been 10 months since the last update.

EveningSky,

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait if I had the option of waiting for a few months. If you're growing too impatient then the idea of a refurb is a good one, but if you don't want an older refurb, then be prepared to wait for a little while for the release of the new machines, and then a little while longer for them to ship. I'd be surprised if new Power Macs didn't get announced this quarter though.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Apr 8, 2005 at 08:25 AM. )

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 08:34 AM

i just save up and then wait until the announcement of new PM's. As long as what you have currently will do for the time being then just wait till new PMs are announced then buy.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

EveningSky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2005, 08:49 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice. I think that I will wait, although I am growing rather impatient. In the long run, I would probably be rather frustrated if I bought now, only to experience a significance upgrade a short time later.
Yours, ES
EveningSky

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Quite frankly, I think it's obnoxious to give people non-answers such as the above
I didn't give a non-answer.

He asked when is a good time to buy a new computer, and the answer is and always will be "when you need one." That's it. If you need one, then get one. If you don't then don't bother. You can wait an eternity for new hardware because there's always something better around the corner. Suppose there's a refresh in a week. And he waited and buys one of those. Then, in 6 months, theres a major release of a major re-work. Is he going to be sad and throw rocks at his 6 month old computer because he should have waited? It's just silly.

That's a wise response, not a non-answer. you wanker.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 03:01 PM

He asked when is a good time to buy a new computer, and the answer is and always will be "when you need one." That's it. If you need one, then get one. If you don't then don't bother.
It doesn't take much to read between the lines and realize that when someone asks this question, what they're really asking is, "When is a good time to buy a new Powermac that ensures I'll get the most performance for my dollar and not end up feeling disappointed or envious that for the same amount or less money I could have gotten a much better/faster computer had I just waited a bit longer."

There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel like you got the most out of your purchase. I'd say the ones that hold out to avoid kicking themselves later are the smarter consumers. The new 3 series BMWs are coming out soon. If you bought the current 2005 body style and then 2 weeks later the new ones came out, leaving yours looking older and less desirable, wouldn't you be wishing someone had told you to wait a few more weeks?

Al G
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 03:02 PM

As RevEvs said, a good time to buy is right after the announcement of new models because then you can get the latest, greatest top-of-the-line, or else either a new midrange or discontinued machine at a significant savings.

The old "new models every six months" guideline hasn't really been applicable to the G5 Powermacs. It has been much harder to predict the updates, and so far looks to be closer to a year than six months.

But any of the dual G5 Powermacs are really nice, fast machines and Apple doesn't have much need to play catch-up like they did with G4 machines.

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 03:15 PM

Yes, but sometimes they're coming out "soon", and sometimes they're coming out in many months. Would you honestly never consider waiting any length of time if it was likely that you'd be able to get a much better deal? "When you need one" isn't a useful answer because "need" isn't a binary condition. Maybe I have a old machine that does what it needs to, but I'd be happier and more productive with a new Mac. If new models are coming out soon, it can easily be more cost-effective to make do with my current system for a little while longer, in exchange for a better price, better performance, or both

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by 3.1416:
Yes, but sometimes they're coming out "soon", and sometimes they're coming out in many months. Would you honestly never consider waiting any length of time if it was likely that you'd be able to get a much better deal? "When you need one" isn't a useful answer because "need" isn't a binary condition.
You make it too complicated.
A person should buy the machine when they need it. There's no point in waiting if you need it now. If you want it, then you can wait until whenever.
I bought my new laptop in December, because that's when I needed it. It's that simple. Asking when to buy something is an absurd question, and means want, not need.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
A person should buy the machine when they need it. There's no point in waiting if you need it now. If you want it, then you can wait until whenever.
I bought my new laptop in December, because that's when I needed it. It's that simple. Asking when to buy something is an absurd question, and means want, not need.
Sheesh. Most of us here can understand what he's talking about. Just because you don't want to help him out doesn't mean his question does not have merit.

sheer
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 03:33 PM

When you need it.
exactly.

W9FIF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2005, 07:44 PM

I agree with Kristoff. I upgraded at the drop of a hat in June, 04, an' waited 4 months on my dual 2.5 PM. Even if a quad 3.0 comes out next week, my fire-breathin' PM is still fantastic!

As usual, my 2 cents worth! ;-)
DP 2.5 G5, 4Gb Ram, dual 250 HDDs, ATI
-9600, 17" studio

My first Mac! :-)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 07:46 PM

The question is generic, so generic answers like "when you need one" are appropriate; _not_ an insult. E.g. I sold my older Powerbook last year, and waited for a G5 PB. The G5 laptop was never released and finally work for new client required that I again have a PB, so I bought a loaded 15 inch PB last week. It is not the hot graphics box I want, but I needed a PB so I stopped waiting. So far Photoshop (PSCSv1) performance seems quite acceptable, even without adding the extra GB of RAM and external scratch disk I also bought.

---------------------

Sky-

What makes your question generic is that you did not specify your Powermac needs. If (like me) you are a heavy graphics user who buys the strongest box available as infrequently as possible and can wait a bit, a substantial throughput improvement is very, very likely in the next 90 days, so waiting would be prudent. If you do not do heavy graphics existing G5s are already overkill, so waiting gains you nothing meaningful - and means you do without a modern box for a few months, a very bad thing. Buy now.

I have owned Macs since the 128ks, and consider the constant Mac improvement curve a wonderful thing. However, it drives many folk crazy; they feel cheated because a new, better cheaper Mac always comes out after they buy one. To me that is absurd, but... whatever floats each person's boat.

For folks who emotionally need the latest/best deal, waiting is the appropriate decision policy. Those folks should just do without (doing without is what drives me crazy!) until new boxes are announced and then buy quickly.

OtisWild
Apr 8, 2005, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
It doesn't take much to read between the lines and realize that when someone asks this question, what they're really asking is, "When is a good time to buy a new Powermac that ensures I'll get the most performance for my dollar and not end up feeling disappointed or envious that for the same amount or less money I could have gotten a much better/faster computer had I just waited a bit longer."
Indeed. Kinda like:
"Can you tell me what time it is?"
"Time to get a new watch!"

True, but useless...

There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel like you got the most out of your purchase. I'd say the ones that hold out to avoid kicking themselves later are the smarter consumers. The new 3 series BMWs are coming out soon. If you bought the current 2005 body style and then 2 weeks later the new ones came out, leaving yours looking older and less desirable, wouldn't you be wishing someone had told you to wait a few more weeks?
Bad example picking BMWs.. Given how badly the recent ones have been Bangled and iDrived, I wouldn't be surprised if the last of the non-Bangled non-iDrived cars were holding their used values better.. All those BMs are horribly ugly, and BMW survives only because the cars are so completely t--s to drive...

(And the motorcycle division's up like 18% year over year..

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by OtisWild:
Indeed. Kinda like:
"Can you tell me what time it is?"
"Time to get a new watch!"

True, but useless...
Not the same at all.
Now if you said "when should I buy a watch?" and I said, "when you need one"--that's the same.

Bad example picking BMWs.. Given how badly the recent ones have been Bangled and iDrived, I wouldn't be surprised if the last of the non-Bangled non-iDrived cars were holding their used values better.. All those BMs are horribly ugly, and BMW survives only because the cars are so completely t--s to drive...
I agree. I wouldn't trade in my 3 year old M5 on a newer model if you paid me. (Ech!)

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 09:27 PM

Given how badly the recent ones have been Bangled and iDrived, I wouldn't be surprised if the last of the non-Bangled non-iDrived cars were holding their used values better.. All those BMs are horribly ugly, and BMW survives only because the cars are so completely t--s to drive...
My 325 is now 3 years old and I like it, but I reeeally like the new 3 series. I have a feeling as soon as I see one in person I'll want to trade. Bangle's designs are pretty controversial. I can see why so many people don't like them, but I dig the new 3. Haven't played with the current model iDrive, but isn't it supposed to be much improved? As soon as the local dealer has a 330 in, I'm going to give it a go.

Oh yeah, this thread is about computers... you should def wait until June, unless your current computer exploded or something.

LouZer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2005, 04:17 PM

Actually, you people need to realize there's two groups of computer users. One are professionals who use computers to do their work (i.e. graphic designers, digital photographers, etc). With all other factors being equal (i.e. you have the money, etc), the statement "You buy one when you need it" is a valid statement.

However, scotttheking apparently thinks ALL computer users NEED computers. That's not the case by a long shot. Just like with BMWs (who REALLY NEEDS a BMW?), you buy out of want, not need. Most home users don't need a computer at all. To do what? To ask simple questions on a forum only to be talked down to like a little boy? Geesh, you probably could get that just going down to the corner and asking someone for directions. So for a good chunk of computer buyers, its all about WANT, not NEED. [Apple must love scott! Telling people to only buy computers when they need one. That's a way to make money!]

So now, someone WANTS a new computer. Should he wait? Should he get one now? Those are valid questions. When you want something, you'd like to make sure you don't feel like you just got screwed (going back to the BMW example, if you bought a new BMW, only to find out next month that it was determined that the BMW is no longer a status symbol car and wasn't worth the steel it was manufactured from, you'd be pissed if someone didn't point out that they knew that report was coming out and didn't tell you. Or if you don't like that example, wouldn't it be nice if someone told you that the 'sport' package that you paid $1000 for was going to be reduced 50% in price and now you feel like you wasted $500? [BTW, if you're one of those people who take great offense about someone saying something less than stellar about your car of choice, just replace "BMW" with "Hyundai"). When its your money your blowing, you'd like to know whether you're wasting it or not.

And its not a silly question. Apple's got a release coming up. Its been forever since their last one (and someone said August O4, but wasn't that really announced in June 2004, and released in August?). But is it going to be soon or still 2 months from now (WWDC)? Is it going to be a refresh or a major revision? These all are valid questions when thinking of spending $2000-$3000 on a new computer. And if you don't know yourself, what is a person to do? Gee, here's a thought. Make a posting on a mac forum site and see if anyone has any info on what might be coming, so as to get a better idea on whether spending the money today is going to result in regret next week. Buying a dual 2.0GHz today, finding they were basically reduced in price but otherwise unchanged next month isn't that bad. Buying one today, only to find out Apple's done a major overhaul of the innards (PCI Express, Quad-processors, alpha-wave scanners to respond to your brain directly, without need for mouse, etc), and then you will be going "Geesh, for less money, I could've had so much more). [BTW, if such a computer is released 6 months from now, the amount of regret is extremely limited. No one goes around saying "Damn, I go out and get a Beige G3 and 5 years later, Apple releases a 2.5GHz G5! Man, what a waste of money!]

Now, on to the question at hand, which has already been answered well by the more level-headed of the posters. If you can, I would wait. Rumors (as trustworthy they can be) state that a revision is due shortly. At worst it'll be June (Just goes to show you Apple has no clue how to sell computers anymore - 1 year between updates? Well, I guess that's probably OK, because its not like innovation or progress is being made monthly in the tech secotr...Its a pretty stagnant area, right? If the next round of updates are just a slight refresh of last year's model, the only people buying them will be the ones who NEED them and those who don't want to wait anymore, and basically get slammed by the rest of the userbase for a complete lack of innovation. But its not like computers is Apple's primary business or anything.) If you really want to buy soon, you can't go wrong with any of the current crop of dual-processor models of the G5. You should have something that'll last several years, at least.

Me, I'm also in the market for a tower, but for personal reasons. Why a PMG5? Well, I have an iBook, so I don't need another laptop. I have qualms about buying a desktop with a built-in screen (esp. since I have a 20" LCD already), so goodbye eMac/iMac. Plus, if you want any type of future growth, or just the ability to know you'll be able to play tomorrow's big games, the tower is the only Mac with a changeable video card. But I'm "lucky". Because of work-related issues, travel, and other responsibilities, I don't have much free time to play with a new Mac for what I want to do with it. So I can easily wait for a couple of months for the next refresh/update.

EveningSky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2005, 07:45 PM

Thank you LouZer and the other respondants.
I have decided to wait the several months until Jun05.
I have equipment with which I can bridge the time period.
Nonetheless, I have plans for this PM and hope that Apple will announce soon, and that the annoucement will be worth waiting for.
As a cautious consumer, my worries with a "significantly upgraded computer" do not end with the appearance of such a machine.
The more significant the upgrade, the more chance that I may encounter technical problems including design and component errors. Furthermore, all of the precious peripherals and apps I would want to run with my new "dream machine" may not be compatible and I may then need to wait for drivers to be upgraded.
With that consideration, there is wisdom in buying a tried, tested and perfected product which has been on the market.
Good luck to all readers who are contemplating the same decision.
Thank you again to all of the respondants,
EveningSky
EveningSky

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2005, 10:49 AM

When you need it.
This is horrible advice. Just use some common sense. Do some research here (I know it's difficult to do, with all the sarcastic people looking down their nose at you...), find out when the next updates are likely to occur and what might be offered. Balance all this against your work demands, and make an educated decision.

MagnusDredd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 07:09 PM

Rumors aside, one bit of fact that MacRumors does provide is the amount of time between releases. The average time between powermac releases is 176 days. 305 days have passed since the last product introduction. This is an extremely long time. Long enough that I imagine Apple management beginning to sweat (the same way they were during the Motorola G4 debacle). They overcame the G4 debacle (at least somewhat) by releasing a dual CPU machine for the same price.

So it should be a given that not only are updates imminent, they are way overdue.

Another fact: the programming tools have been updated to give information on 4 CPU systems (or more likely 4 cores). This leads me to believe that sometime soon, we will be seeing 4 CPU core machines. Apple could have just as easily put in support for 8 CPUs. I understand from several technical papers that the IBM 970 supports up to 8 CPU cores without adding additional glue logic to the board, which is an architectural ability inherited from the Power 4 architecture which it is derived from. That would require quite a bit more work, to actually make, but to simply add the hooks in software... probably not that hard. Two pictures of some tools in question: here and here.

The reason the 4 CPU control vs 8 CPUs is interesting and makes me think that 4 cored machines are not that far off, is that when Apple updates something, they tend to go full spec. When they implemented the HID framework on OSX they supported the full spec of 32 mouse buttons! I have never seen a mouse with more than 5 buttons, and I don't imagine Apple shipping one with 32, but it was one of those things makes respectable coding groups is that they fully support a spec. It's called future-proofing. From what I have noticed, when they don't go full spec it seems to be due to time constraints. To put it bluntly, if they were future-proofing the number of CPUs supported, they would have done 8 CPUs most likely.

Note: The tools in question allow program developers to test their applications on single, dual, and now quad CPU systems. It gives them the ability to "turn off" a CPU so that they can see how much better or worse their programs work on 1, 2, or 4 CPU systems without having to have multiple machines. This helps programmers test how optimized their apps are for multi-cpu machines, among other things. To use this ability they have to have a machine containing the maximum number of CPUs. In other words, if Adobe is updating Photoshop, they'd need a 4 CPU system to test performance on a 4 CPUs.

Further speculation on my part... It would make sense that there would be a much longer delay in releasing a machine that uses a new expansion architecture. Perhaps months longer. Rumors speculate PCIe (PCI Express) appearing in the new towers. This is both good and bad. PCIe is not really PCI. It responds similarly from a programming perspective, but the technology has vitually nothing in common. PCIe, which is far more advanced, is completely incompatible with PCI or PCI-X. This means that every existing card for the Macintosh would no longer be supported, unless Apple also includes some PCI slots as well. There will also likely be a delay from the introduction of the technology to the cards appearing in quantity on the market, much like the original iMac and USB.

The whole dual core thing is quite likely, due to the fact that IBM has had dual core CPUs for quite some time. They are already on their second generation of dual core CPUs with the Power 5. They have stated in the past that they would push the 970 to dual core "sometime in the future". Also it is a given that the 970 is a single cored chip that was derived from a dual core chip. The only question is: if not dual core in the next release of towers, when?

I should state that, I do not work for Apple, I do work maintaining networks of machines, and I have no information not freely available from the net. I do however understand the more technical documents avialable from IBM and the other vendors for the most part. I have also been following CPU design and progress in the industry for almost 10 years now, including AMD, Motorola, IBM, Sun, and Intel designs. It's a hobby.

EveningSky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 08:02 PM

Thank you MD. I am impressed by your knowledge and insights. I hope that Apple's next machines are as exciting as you surmise.
Yours, ES
EveningSky

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 08:51 PM

I hear dual core cpus make safari not freeze when you load a page full of animated emoticons. In that case, definitely wait to buy your PM until after the dual core G5s are released.

CIA
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 08:59 PM

Please remember that when new machines are announced, usually the shipping date is still months away.... (esp. with the high end models)
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 12:26 PM

My rules:

1) Get the money in order, when this is done, goto setp 2
2) Wait for the next upgrade and buy.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by MagnusDredd:
Further speculation on my part... It would make sense that there would be a much longer delay in releasing a machine that uses a new expansion architecture. Perhaps months longer. Rumors speculate PCIe (PCI Express) appearing in the new towers. This is both good and bad. PCIe is not really PCI. It responds similarly from a programming perspective, but the technology has vitually nothing in common. PCIe, which is far more advanced, is completely incompatible with PCI or PCI-X. This means that every existing card for the Macintosh would no longer be supported, unless Apple also includes some PCI slots as well. There will also likely be a delay from the introduction of the technology to the cards appearing in quantity on the market, much like the original iMac and USB.
Actually, I'd expect the new Power Macs to support BOTH PCIe and PCI-X. They'd only drop AGP.

The question is when. If not the upcoming revision, then the next.

Back to the original thread... If I had the option to wait a couple of months, but decided not to just because I was impatient, I'd be p!ssed if I bought a Power Mac and 2 weeks later a PCIe-capable Power Mac came out.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2005, 01:20 PM

Actually, I'd expect the new Power Macs to support BOTH PCIe and PCI-X. They'd only drop AGP.
History does not agree with your assessment.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 01:34 PM

History does not agree with your assessment.
History of what? The iMac?

Dropping PCI and PCI-X altogether in 2005 would frankly be stupid. It would render all 3rd party add-in cards completely useless on Apple's pro line.

ie. It would render the new Power Macs completely useless for a large portion of the core Power Mac market.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2005, 01:44 PM

Dropping PCI and PCI-X altogether in 2005 would frankly be stupid.
That'd be an echo from 1999 when all of a sudden Macs only had firewire and USB, making people buy a lot of new peripherals. Pissed off a lot of people, too. By the way, neither USB nor firewire were very popular back then.

Or Nubus > PCI, etc.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 01:56 PM

That'd be an echo from 1999 when all of a sudden Macs only had firewire and USB, making people buy a lot of new peripherals. Pissed off a lot of people, too. By the way, neither USB nor firewire were very popular back then.

Or Nubus > PCI, etc.
The 1999 Power Macs had PCI, and so did the ones before it. Furthermore, PCI add-in cards (including for SCSI) were quite common in 1999. Even in 1999, a lot of the other high end add-in cards were PCI. In 2005, essentially NO high-end add-in cards are PCIe, unless you're talking video cards.

Furthermore USB was becoming pretty common in 1999. USB was pioneered by Apple long before that, and Windows 98 had native USB support.

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 05:34 PM

It would be a move of staggering stupidity on Apples part to drop PCI-X (and therefore PCI) when they moved to PCI-E for Graphics. Many current PRO users of G5's (and G4's) have PCi cards for Video, Audio or other things. They are the kind of user Apple wants to get to upgrade to a Dual-core PCI-E monster, and they ain't going to be impressed if they have to buy a different $1000 card to continue doing what they are doing. My guess for expansion slots in a PCI-E Powermac would be 1xPCI-E 16x for graphics, 1xPCI-E 1x, 2xPCI-X 133Mhz.
After all every PCI-E PC motherboard also has PCI (usually off the southbridge), no reason why Apple couldn't have a separate HT link to a PCI-X bridge, thats what they have now anyway.
Idiot... Slow down

Zim
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 09:50 AM

*Rumors* are there might be new PMs (finally) at NAB

http://www.thinksecret.com/

so a lot of patience may not be required.

I have been unwilling to upgrade until the PM line was updated, the current lineup was just too stale (IMO)

Mike

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:07 AM

What's stale about Dual 2.5 GHz 64 bit CPUs?

Hell, there's not even OS support for the hardware we have.

Here's one for you, when the G5 iMacs came out, I know someone who tried both a 17" G4 and 17" G5. They bought the G4 because they couldn't tell the difference, and liked the looks and screen adjustability of the G4 better--and was able to get it heavily discounted.

So let's hear how unwise that person was because they didn't buy the latest greatest blah blah blah, but rather bought what they needed.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 10:36 AM

What's stale about Dual 2.5 GHz 64 bit CPUs?
They're almost a year old, and starting to lag performance-wise.

Hell, there's not even OS support for the hardware we have.

Here's one for you, when the G5 iMacs came out, I know someone who tried both a 17" G4 and 17" G5. They bought the G4 because they couldn't tell the difference, and liked the looks and screen adjustability of the G4 better--and was able to get it heavily discounted.
And this has what to do with Power Macs exactly? That you can get old hardware cheaper, once new hardware is out? Hmmm... Yet another reason to wait for the new Power Macs to come out.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 11:44 AM

So let's hear how unwise that person was because they didn't buy the latest greatest blah blah blah, but rather bought what they needed.
Buying *what* you need is a different topic than buying *when* you need. The OP already has a used system and wants a brand new one. If you're not in the market for an older phased out system, then you might as well maximise the newness potential by holding out a little while for updated hardware, if you can... and lets face it, most people can hold out a bit, because there's a big difference between *wanting* a new system and *needing* one.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 07:14 PM

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

PM and other mac buying guide... pretty decent info

tonalsickness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 07:11 AM

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0504macs.html

I was really hoping for a little more than a 2 MHz bump...at least 3 MHz to 2.8GHz (even though I really dreamed of 3GHz or 3.2Ghz to match PC speeds)... Only thing that's worth it over buying now would be the 256 video cards and DL DVD support. I remember a time when Apple actually upgraded a lot with each advance and PM's updated twice a year... how could this be

"Apple is firing on all cylinders and we have some incredible new products in the pipeline for the coming year, starting with Mac OS X Tiger later this month."-Steve Jobs

Doesn't really make sense at only a 200 MHz bump with the biggest bump being the 2.3GHz from a 2.0GHz... they could have atleast put it at the old 2.5GHz... Guess they still didn't solve the cooling problems.
Dual 2.3 GHz G5, 1.5 GB ram, 19" LCD display, 20 GB 4G iPod
Creative DDTS-100 Dolby Digital Surround sound decoder (hooked to PM via Optical cable), Logitech 6.1 Surround sound speakers
1.6 GHz Dell Laptop w/ XP Pro

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by tonalsickness
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0504macs.html

I was really hoping for a little more than a 2 MHz bump...at least 3 MHz to 2.8GHz (even though I really dreamed of 3GHz or 3.2Ghz to match PC speeds)... Only thing that's worth it over buying now would be the 256 video cards and DL DVD support. I remember a time when Apple actually upgraded a lot with each advance and PM's updated twice a year... how could this be

"Apple is firing on all cylinders and we have some incredible new products in the pipeline for the coming year, starting with Mac OS X Tiger later this month."-Steve Jobs

Doesn't really make sense at only a 200 MHz bump with the biggest bump being the 2.3GHz from a 2.0GHz... they could have atleast put it at the old 2.5GHz... Guess they still didn't solve the cooling problems.
This would indeed be extremely disappointing.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 07:47 AM

dp...

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

tonalsickness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 07:48 AM

I hope this is one of the few times think secret is extremely wrong...

unfortunately Nick is right most of the time.
Creative DDTS-100 Dolby Digital Surround sound decoder (hooked to PM via Optical cable), Logitech 6.1 Surround sound speakers

borgobello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 12:22 PM

Think Secret says: performance gains far greater than the 200-300MHz bumps. Far greater can be double, more or even less. But overall performance of upgraded PowerMacs should be better than today's G5 at 3Ghz. AGP slot is enough powerful for the most existing graphic cards, and after all the unique graphic card I've upgraded is the B&W PCI Range 128 with a flashed Radeon 7500. If in the BTO options there will be an ATI X800, I think it will be enough for doing anything. Personally I'll prefer a fanless 9600XT. Only if cheap enough i will consider a graphic card upgrade, and only if it will not need high noise fan. RAM... only 8 Gb? I work great with 1.5 Gb now, If I'll take a new PowerMac probably I'l buy it with 2Gb, or even not (1 Gb can be enough, ore I'll take it from PC store)... Dual Layer DVD+-RW is what I need, does BlueRay disk's exist? I mean, can anyone buy them anyware?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by borgobello
Think Secret says: performance gains far greater than the 200-300MHz bumps. Far greater can be double, more or even less. But overall performance of upgraded PowerMacs should be better than today's G5 at 3Ghz.
If the new Power Macs have the specs that Think Secret says they do, then the speed boost at the top end will be marginal at best.

However, it's a nice boost at the mid-end. You get performance near the old 2.5 for probably much less money. And I betcha it will be shipping fairly quickly, considering 2.3 GHz chips in Macs are already shipping.

This illustrates why for many people, waiting just a couple of months will have paid off quite handsomely.

tonalsickness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 01:22 PM

it'll be sad that two years after the promise from Jobs, we still won't have a 3 GHz PM

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
They're almost a year old, and starting to lag performance-wise.

And this has what to do with Power Macs exactly? That you can get old hardware cheaper, once new hardware is out? Hmmm... Yet another reason to wait for the new Power Macs to come out.
How is that the 2.5Ghz PowerMac starts to lose performance just because it's nearly a year old? That makes zero sense.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 10:22 AM

It's obviously a pissing contest thing with these guys.
There's a very small percentage of people that do anything that even approaches sustained load on a dual 2.5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules