Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > 6800 flashed to Mac !!!

6800 flashed to Mac !!!
Amacapart
Baninated
May 2, 2005, 01:20 PM

An Italian guy named Alex has posted about success flashing a 6800 to Mac. (at strangedogs)

He has also shown that the PC program "Nibitor" is capable of modding frequencies in the Mac ROM. In fact, the program even has the ability to mod the voltages present in the card.

As with the X800, the lack of a Dual Link TMDS on the PC card results in a VGA only card. So, DVI out is non-functional for the time being.

He did two cards, and both worked fine. A resistor move was needed to match up the device id.

Also, he did this for a G5, though there is every reason to believe that it will work in a G4.

Exciting news, I think. Another possible way to bring playable Doom3 to the G4. (among other things)

danman
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 04:55 PM

What a waste of a card if the DVI doesn't work. A fine line between success and failure.
( Last edited by danman; May 3, 2005 at 02:00 PM. )

Amacapart  (op)
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 01:48 PM

Patience !!!!

The X800 with working DVI followed cards that were VGA only. You don't reach the end of the road with out starting on it.

I agree, loss of DVI is a bummer, but I'm glad the guy did it anyway. For someone with VGA monitors, there would be no loss.

danman
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 01:59 PM

I'm with you and if you guys get the DVI working I'd probably by a card to flash since I really want dual DVI. I just think that DVI is the minimum these days; welcome to 1980 if you are still using VGA.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 02:48 PM

Has VGA really been around since 1980? Wow......

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 11:38 PM

More like 1986-7 I think
Idiot... Slow down

CIA
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 05:53 PM

I just think that DVI is the minimum these days; welcome to 1980 if you are still using VGA.
Man that was a slap in the face..... My dual 20" Sony CRT's (Multiscan 520GS) may be huge powersucking mosters but they look great plugged into my new 9800 Pro. I have 2 battery backups on my machine, one just for the computer and external drives, hubs etc.. and one just for the pair of CRTs. I'm very happy with the quality of the display. LCD's are nice and all, but they are still pricey when you go large. That Dell 2405 might change my mind tho...
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

powertrippin
Baninated
May 9, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by danman
I'm with you and if you guys get the DVI working I'd probably by a card to flash since I really want dual DVI. I just think that DVI is the minimum these days; welcome to 1980 if you are still using VGA.

Agreed, which is why I have a 9600XT and not a faster but only 1 DVI 9800.

Amacapart  (op)
Baninated
May 18, 2005, 11:44 PM

It would seem likely that DVI on the 6800 may get figured out after all.

Our resident genius, Arti, just got DVI working on the 5200. The 6800 may not be far behind.

In any case, a Tiger compliant DVI card for $60-100 should get some people's attention. And if the 6800 gets added to the list....well, perhaps it will change some things.

Mac101
Baninated
May 19, 2005, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Amacapart
It would seem likely that DVI on the 6800 may get figured out after all.

Our resident genius, Arti, just got DVI working on the 5200. The 6800 may not be far behind.

In any case, a Tiger compliant DVI card for $60-100 should get some people's attention. And if the 6800 gets added to the list....well, perhaps it will change some things.
The truth on Mac FX5200s & DVI is here (partially reprinted from Cubeownr).....

"Wow, I come back from 3 days of jury duty to find that I'm described worse than a convicted rapist here! Wonderful. Just wonderful. The crack user comment as well as the HEX crap (yes I'm geeky enuff to know) are just way out of line and probably should be removed by Laurie. I'm not here to fight, but I don't appreciate slander either. Below is a picture of the VERY FIRST DVI capable NVidia Geforce FX5200 for a G4! Don't believe what you're seeing on MacNN (by RubyTuesday/Amacapart) or Strangedogs (by RubyTuesday/Amacapart). The info here from me at Cubeowner.com is what helped Arti (at Strangedogs) finally figure it out. I gave him enough clues. Geez. I'm surprised it took him an entire week! LOL Not that Arti wouldn't have figured it out eventually all on his own, he is definitely one sharp guy and better yet, he is mild mannered and not a known liar, ebay rip-off artist, or jerk like, well, no, I will avoid the personal attacks unlike many others here. Oh, and I'm also the FIRST (now ONLY) person to sell FX5200 ULTRAs for G4's on ebay, so I think I have some credibility here. AND, I have positive feedback from the auctions to back up my claims. In fact, I'm using an FX5200 ULTRA card right now as I type this.

This DVI capable FX5200 card can be found in lots of places and is still in production last I checked, although NewEgg does not seem to have them right now. And they didn't have any when I went to buy them either, so don't even think I bought them all up. I didn't. These cards ARE available. The Albatron model# is FX5200LP V.2.0 and the link to the product is at ALBATRON

If you're wondering why people in this thread are so angry, you only have to know who the Strangedogs are...
RUBYTUESDAY (Strangedogs) = TEWLBOY (eBAY) = Amacapart (MacNN, suspended ebay seller of Mac cards)
(this has been confirmed here at Cubeowner thanks to the person below... PARTYBYMARTY)
PARTYBYMARTY (Strangedogs,Cubeowner) = YOYOMARV (eBAY competitor of mine)
ITALIANO (founder of Strangedogs,also on Cubeowner) = Pandabare_Jax (eBAY) = trivialpersuit (suspended eBAY seller of Mac cards)
HPENCE = HPENCE84 (eBAY) = LONESTARMAC ? (eBAY and not so good feedback either)
PROJECT86 = POWERBOX_TECHNOLOGY = BOOTASTIC_COMPUTERS (eBAY seller)

How do I know all this? Well, the ebay info is public info, much has been stated here on Cubeowner, and their ebay customers often question me to make sure I'm NOT them before buying! If I've mis-identified anyone, please let everyone here know. I will definitely apologize if I've made a mistake, but in this case I think the TRUTH BE TOLD.

Oh, and thanks ARTI, you gave me the inspiration to find this card and make working DVI on Powermac G4's possible for everyone. I guess Strangedogs like Amacapart will complain and try to have this info banned or take claim for it. Typical.

Peace. :-)"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2005, 12:04 PM

I use BNC on my monitor.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

garypix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I use BNC on my monitor.
BNC is still analog

italiano
Forum Regular
May 19, 2005, 07:56 PM

Actually I still sell on Ebay - Wife's User ID is "trivialpersuit"... pandabare_jax didn't pay up his sellers fees (working on them) - but pandabare_jax has over 390 feedbacks with 99% POSITIVES and trivialpersuit has 588 with 99.3% POSITIVES - same guy - me. LETS SEE YOU BEAT THAT DUDE. You're very miffed for being thrown off strangedogs forums and cubeowners forums. I had nothing to do with either ban and would appreciate being left out of the fighting going on. 5200's are being flashed with functioning DVI thanks to a lot of work by YOU, Arti, PartybyMarty, RubyTuesday, Amacapart, Hpence, Sirhannick, and lots more I'm forgetting to mention. We appreciate the work and I'm sure everyone can benefit from a low cost TIGER supported card. I'm sure you'll reap a profit on Ebay - I won't as I no longer flash anything... I'm retired from selling Mac video cards on Ebay - TOO BURNED OUT. Well actually just did a 9800 Pro as I shorted mine out from too much overclocking. Paid $110.00 from Newegg - 5 minutes work & works like a charm! No More OC'ing for awhile.
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

Mac101
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 06:55 AM

I have nothing against you Italiano, but I think it's time you cleaned out the doghouse of crooks.
RubyTuesday (strangedogs) = Amacapart (ebay,here) = David Pirinelli = known suspended ebay rip-off artist. And somebody else on strangedogs (?) is most likely Lonestarmac on ebay (same deal)
So far you've let the doghouse be cleaned out & locked down by known crooks. I can't tell you how many ebayers ask me if I'm the above guys. By the way, I post on strangedogs all the time, so I'm not at all upset about you banning everyone ELSE! LOL You just don't know who I am. :-D Oh, and I'm certainly not banned on Cubeowner, I'll be posting more info on this 5200 with DVI later this morning.
I'm getting very close to beating your ebay record, btw, as my last negative is now a solvable problem and will be removed soon. I was going to post some help for your recent 9800 problem on strangedogs, but if I'd done that, your buddy up top would have figured out who I am and deleted my account. I was going to tell you that Sapphires are notoriosly bad 9800 Pro cards to buy from NewEgg. They must have like a 50% return rate on their 9800s. I've had nothing but bad luck, bad cards, have returned or trashed most of them. Oh, and if you intend to overclock, please replace the fan and maybe even add some memory heat sinks. Most times, a crappy fan & overheating is the reason your card dies. And finally, just to let everyone know, I was the first to post of a working DVI capable FX5200 at Cubeowner and the first to put one up on ebay (it's up). (Btw, that card, which I'm using as I type this with digital DVI support to my LCD is now running at 300MHz in my Cube and it looks like there's more room to go, its not even hot!) Others might still be goofing around in your "Private Forum", but mine is a DONE DEAL. Thanks and good luck with your retirement. At least you have nice weather down there in Jax 24/7. I thought about stopping by to say hi on my last FLA trip. I think I might know relatives of yours, seriously. :-)

powertrippin
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 10:17 AM

I don't know who any of you guys are, but I'm not sure why you brought some fight from another forum here to fight about it. Anyway, whoever is scamming on ebay, amacpart, he should be banned from this forum also. I'm an ebay seller and I hate scammers.

- Rob

Mac101
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin

I don't know who any of you guys are, but I'm not sure why you brought some fight from another forum here to fight about it. Anyway, whoever is scamming on ebay, amacpart, he should be banned from this forum also. I'm an ebay seller and I hate scammers.

- Rob
I didn't intent to bring an argument to this forum.
My intention only was to let people know there are FX5200's out there that can now be used with DVI to connect to an LCD. This is very important to TIGER users now because 5200's are the least expensive Core Image capable video cards and these cards can be easily flashed by individuals themselves. Mine cost <$50 and is running at 300MHz with Core image & DVI to LCD support.
I think that's fatastic news for any AGP G4 owner using Tiger. If I was just trying to hawk my auction, I would have put a link to the auctions. I'm instead trying to tell people you can do this yourself with a little effort. Thanks for listening.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 03:41 PM

Thanks, but a 64 meg Ati 9600 will work even better, and even cheaper on a G4 system.

Mac101
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks, but a 64 meg Ati 9600 will work even better, and even cheaper on a G4 system.
Umm, I think that card is like $200 or more easily last I checked on ebay (if you're referring to the Apple 9650 card)! 5200s are easily found at around $50. Big difference.
All the other 9600s I've seen seem to be a bit buggy. Is there something I'm missing here?

powertrippin
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 05:28 PM

Uh, NO. I said 9600 because I meant 9600. The 9650 is a 128 meg card. The Radeon 9600 is 64 megs, can be had for as little as $10 on ebay (I saw one go for $9), and work in G4s and G5s. It also sports dual monitor support, and a DVI and ADC connector.

http://www.techseekers.net/modules.p...wcontent&id=71

The 5200 sucks.

Mac101
Baninated
May 20, 2005, 06:03 PM

I see what you mean.
Unfortunately, that won't work in either a Cube or a sawtooth mac,
but it definitely will work in my QS 1.3GHz machine. Sweet. :-)
Thanks.

hpence
May 20, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mac101
I didn't intent to bring an argument to this forum.
Mac101. I honestly have nothing against you. You have never done me any wrong nor been any sort of competitor of mine.

The reason you bring arguments around to all the forums you're posting 5200 info on is becuase several things you say are FALSE. You throw a lot of mud in your posts, yes a couple of things you say are true, but the VAST majority are simply wild assumptions with little base. ( EX: I have no idea who lonestarmac is, but i know he is definitely NOT on the strangedogs forums. I was the #2 member and first moderator on those boards... i would know...)

You throw around all this image destroying trash, then play innocent. I COULD dig into your own factual past, but there shouldnt be any need for that if you straighen up. There is no need for ANY of this.
UltraCube: 1.4ghz - Radeon9800pro - 1.2
GB ram - 120gb/8mb HD - 24x Combo Drive
--- all running off an external 400watt MDD
power supply.
20" Apple Aluminum LCD (sweet)

powertrippin
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 12:56 AM

I'm getting really annoyed at all this strangedog crap being **** all over the MacNN forums. It'd be one thing if they were a friendly community and welcomed people in, but considering it's a good ole boys club, who gives a ****. Quit posting here.

Mac101
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 01:23 AM

I'm getting really annoyed at all this strangedog crap being **** all over the MacNN forums. It'd be one thing if they were a friendly community and welcomed people in, but considering it's a good ole boys club, who gives a ****. Quit posting here.
Thank you Powertrippin. I so totally agree. :-)

I was just about to post this.......
"If simply identifying people who are hiding from other people they've scammed is FALSE, dishonest, or throwing mud, then Hpence, you need to reset your morality compass.
I apologized to you for suggesting you were someone you evidently aren't, but I'm correct on every other Strangedog and everyone knows it from the response I'm getting and every other one of those Strangedogs I outed is staying low since I posted their identities. Go figure. And, by the way, how is it that you didn't even know registrations at Strangedogs were blocked and yet your're the #2 moderator there? Wow, I think you have a LOT more explaining to do than me and all the mud you guys have slung is only going to hurt your site and your credibility. I'm not suspended from ebay like many other Strangedogs are. I'm not banned from Cubeowner.com. I'm even a member at Strangedogs.com as we speak, but I'll probably never ever post again.
By the way, go ahead and dig into my past, you won't find anything and my feedback on ebay is stellar unlike many of you guys. Now why again are you taking on the role of the new Strangedogs ATTACK DOG making false claims?
Is Amacapart / RubyTuesday / TEWLBOY too busy????
PartybyMarty / YOYOMARV had a business meeting????
Even Italiano, the FOUNDER of Strangedogs is practically disowning you people here!
Don't you get it? Save yourself Hpence. You're better than those people."

Powertrippin, from now on I will post nothing related to Strangedogs here. Sorry to everyone for all this. But, I WILL defend myself if necessary.

italiano
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 06:17 PM

Powertrippin' we are a "welcome everyone" community... where you getting your screwed up opinion from? Your nym seems to suit you. I have personally helped loads of new people flash their card - we provide instruction and downloads for doing it. ANYONE can come to our Forum and learn to do it themselves. Drop by - read - download - learn - and all for free - what else would you like?
( Last edited by italiano; May 21, 2005 at 07:25 PM. )

Mac101
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by italiano
Powertrippin' we are a "welcome everyone" community... where you getting your screwed up opinion from? Your nym seems to suit you.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You opened up registrations and insulted me and people here in the website title! LOL

Gotta love it. You guys never stop. People will understand and will get it and the pettyness is only hurting you guys. Recently one of the STRANGEDOGS referred to MacNN people as NAZIS! What's up with that Italiano? I don't understand why you guys just can't handle other Mac users who find out things before you guys. Why does that bother you so much?

powertrippin
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by italiano
Powertrippin' we are a "welcome everyone" community... where you getting your screwed up opinion from? Your nym seems to suit you. I have personally helped loads of new people flash their card - we provide instruction and downloads for doing it. ANYONE can come to our Forum and learn to do it themselves. Drop by - read - download - learn - and all for free - what else would you like?
I don't consider a private forum for just the flashing people to be very 'friendy' or 'open'. Also, your forums are just plain confusing... wtf is it a hardware forum or a place where people like to have rats and pretend they're dogs?

- Rob

italiano
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 08:58 PM

I don't consider a private forum for just the flashing people to be very 'friendy' or 'open'. Also, your forums are just plain confusing... wtf is it a hardware forum or a place where people like to have rats and pretend they're dogs?

- Rob
Our PRIVATE forum is to keep the rats out of our hair - 2 I know of are posting in this thread. Need names?

Mac101
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 09:26 PM

hey Powertrippin, i like you. You must be the guy that the Strangedogs called a NAZI a month ago! LOL

powertrippin
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 12:30 AM

Uh, sure.

Heil Apple.

Mac101
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 01:06 AM

Uh, sure.

Heil Apple.
Here's what the STRANGEDOGS (AMACAPART (RUBYTUESDAY on Strangedogs, Tewlboy on ebay) , ITALIANO , PARTYBYMARTY , NVFLASH)) think of you and MacNN..... Strangedogs.com

powertrippin
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 01:09 PM

Here's what the STRANGEDOGS (AMACAPART (RUBYTUESDAY on Strangedogs, Tewlboy on ebay) , ITALIANO , PARTYBYMARTY , NVFLASH)) think of you and MacNN..... Strangedogs.com
>shrug<

Whatever. If it was such a horrible place here, why are all the people from strangedogs coming over here and bitching about bannings and members of strangedogs?

darwin23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 11:53 PM

Leave my name out.

--The Dark One

Mac101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by darwin23
Leave my name out.

--The Dark One
Honestly, I didn't know who you were, but if you're hanging out with "the wrong crowd" and joining in to slander MacNN, maybe that's the problem???
I don't want to argue anymore. It's not doing anyone here at MacNN or Cubeowner or any other Mac site I post at any good. Let's stick to the facts that are helpful to Mac users, please. Thanks.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
May 23, 2005, 09:33 PM

I'm closing this thread.

Lets keep it to the point, fellas.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules