Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Guess what? The new iMacs have dodgy capacitors too!!

Guess what? The new iMacs have dodgy capacitors too!!
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 09:07 AM

Well after THREE weeks my iMac finally arrived, I opened the back to fit the RAM and there it was, a nice bulging and leaking capacitor. I am ASTONISHED that this is happening to the new model iMac G5. Did Apple learn nothing from that dog of a product that was the first iMac G5?

Apple wanted to repair it, but I've said no and I'm getting a full refund. This PowerBook will have to do until Apple can start making iMacs that work properly.

This is what they look like:

http://www.wopr.org.uk/photos/iMac-caps/cap.jpg
( Last edited by WOPR; May 25, 2005 at 09:35 AM. )

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 10:19 AM

Nasty

I will probably never buy another iMac. The iMac G4 was a great machine. I regretted buying the G5. I will stick with a PowerMac from now on. Sorry to hear that your iMac showed up like that. Is Apple trying to make you pay the 20% restocking fee?

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 10:23 AM

They didn't mention the £40 shipping fee, but I have emailed them to clarify that I won't be charged it. At the end of the day the goods were faulty so why should I have to pay?

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 10:32 AM

I could understand them trying to charge you something if there wasn't anything wrong with the system and you where just having remorse over buying it. You are right, it is faulty and you shouldn't have to pay anything.

When Apple agreed to upgrade my faulty iMac to a PowerMac they said I was going to have to pay to have my iMac shipped back to them. In the end they didn't charge me anything.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2005, 12:49 PM

Why does the iMac have so many capacitors? I haven't seen very many on my G5 board. It can't be that the iMac board requires more power. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 12:56 PM

I'd love to know too - there must have been 20 or so in there.

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Why does the iMac have so many capacitors? I haven't seen very many on my G5 board. It can't be that the iMac board requires more power. . .
Maybe its because the iMac motherboards have ciruitry for the display too.. just a guess...
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 04:00 PM

First, that is chocolate. Second, that isn't a Macintosh.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Podolsky
First, that is chocolate. Second, that isn't a Macintosh.
Huh?

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 04:32 PM

Those are electrolytic capacitors. They are typically the first components to give out over time. Extreme heat can cause them to leak. Over time the electrolyte can break down and emit gas which builds up until the capacitor leaks from the pressure.

-S

volcano
Senior User
May 25, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sparkletron
Extreme heat can cause them to leak.

-S
It took three weeks to get to you? That's insane. Since it took that long to ship to you, perhaps it was in the heat a lot of the time while being shipped? Three weeks .. wow.

This doesn't phase me at all. People always come running to message boards when they have the slightest (or biggest) problem with their computers - it's a given. It's rare when someone actually acknowledges the craftmanship of products when they work just fine, though.

Sorry this happened to you - but if it took you three weeks to get it, I wouldn't point the finger at Apple right away. Like I said, if extreme heat causes them to leak - maybe while it was being processed in the mail it experienced a lot of heat. Who knows. Regardless, good luck with your ordeal.

I'm still buying an iMac G5 though.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 25, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
Sorry this happened to you - but if it took you three weeks to get it, I wouldn't point the finger at Apple right away. Like I said, if extreme heat causes them to leak - maybe while it was being processed in the mail it experienced a lot of heat.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 05:40 PM

It took three weeks to get to you? That's insane. Since it took that long to ship to you, perhaps it was in the heat a lot of the time while being shipped? Three weeks .. wow.

This doesn't phase me at all. People always come running to message boards when they have the slightest (or biggest) problem with their computers - it's a given. It's rare when someone actually acknowledges the craftmanship of products when they work just fine, though.

Sorry this happened to you - but if it took you three weeks to get it, I wouldn't point the finger at Apple right away. Like I said, if extreme heat causes them to leak - maybe while it was being processed in the mail it experienced a lot of heat. Who knows. Regardless, good luck with your ordeal.

I'm still buying an iMac G5 though.
Sorry but not way am I buying that excuse! Apple should be being extra careful with iMacs after the saga with the first model. I wouldn't touch an iMac G5 with a bargepole!

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 05:55 PM

Me neither. I have been waiting for someone to confirm if the dud caps are still being used in the new rev. 2 iMac G5. Now I guess I wont be getting one.... I'm still waiting for the 970GX to appear. I believe the current G5 is just too hot.
Idiot... Slow down

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2005, 05:59 PM

If Apple announce a PowerBook G5 any time soon then you'd have to be insane to buy one!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 25, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
If Apple announce a PowerBook G5 any time soon then you'd have to be insane to buy one!
I just bought an iMac G5, and if/when Apple announces a PowerBook G5, I'll be whipping out that credit card immediately.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
May 25, 2005, 08:59 PM

As a rev. A 20" iMac G5 owner, I thought I'd chime in...my system has run beautifully since I purchased it in January. I've opened the case and checked the capacitors twice since then, and no bulges anywhere to be found. <knocking on wood></end knocking on wood> I'll be sure to check regularly though, and may actually go ahead and extend my AppleCare warranty later in the year just to play it safe.

Overall, the best computer I've ever owned (my Cube included!).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2005, 09:48 PM

Can anyone tell me what purpose the rings on the motherboards serve (as seen in that picture)? I have just been wondering about that ever since I saw them on my G5.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Butch Hauke
May 25, 2005, 11:03 PM

Here's what I'd like to know: Just how exactly did that capacitor already start leaking? The computer wasn't even used yet! The problems in the Rev A iMac G5 didn't start showing up for months.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Butch Hauke
Here's what I'd like to know: Just how exactly did that capacitor already start leaking? The computer wasn't even used yet! The problems in the Rev A iMac G5 didn't start showing up for months.

Butch
Probably happened during Burn In testing.

volcano
Senior User
May 26, 2005, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR
That machine would be so hot I'd never be able to have kids with that thing sitting on my lap for hours on end everyday.

as2
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 02:44 AM

I think you need to realize that there are going to be isolated cases of faults, problems with any computer hardware that is mass made.

Just because one out of several hundred thousand iMac's is faulty, it doesn't mean you should never ever buy one.

Remember, this is a forum for Mac users, people will post on here if they have problems. The thousands of people who have iMacs without problems won't necessarily post on here to say that everything is ok with their iMac.

Keep things in perspective.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Hodog16
May 26, 2005, 02:50 AM

Really a nice thread to read when a new iMac G5 is on its way to my house

But at least I bought Apple care for it! Silver lining I suppose.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2005, 04:23 AM

That machine would be so hot I'd never be able to have kids with that thing sitting on my lap for hours on end everyday.
Oh, come on, your nickname suggest that you can do better than that .

westrock
May 26, 2005, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Can anyone tell me what purpose the rings on the motherboards serve (as seen in that picture)? I have just been wondering about that ever since I saw them on my G5.

Are you talking about the green ring with copper wire running around it? Its meant to block interference that could get picked up in the copper wire. Basically a small inductor.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by as2
I think you need to realize that there are going to be isolated cases of faults, problems with any computer hardware that is mass made.

Just because one out of several hundred thousand iMac's is faulty, it doesn't mean you should never ever buy one.

Keep things in perspective.
The problem seems to be quite common. Check out the Apple discussion forum and you will find lots of people reporting these leaky capacitors. After 8 months of service, my G5 iMac just died - I opened it up and there they are, several bulging and leaking capacitors. I called Apple and they say to bring it in to a reseller (I bought it from the Apple Store). They refuse to acknowlege that there is a problem here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules