Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Changing look of The Windows HD on Mac OS Desktop

Changing look of The Windows HD on Mac OS Desktop
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2006, 07:55 PM

Hey so I installed boot camp and have been switching back and forth between the two operating systems a lot lately. I noticed that I can rename the windows hard drive. I did so to "dozer." Well every time I switch back to the mac os after windows, I find that all the letters in "dozer" become capitalized. This is a little annoying. Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing this?

Another thing, is that I want to change the icone of the Windows HD to something else... will this have any affect on either OS ? Better yet, is there any way to make that "Dozer" Icon go away from my Desktop ? I'm afraid of moving that to somewhere else.

Thanks in advance

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 27, 2006, 10:03 PM

Get used to it. This is default Windows behavior. Sorry...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2006, 11:45 PM

You might be able to copy and paste a new icon onto the current one in the Get Info window for the windows hard drive. If not, you can try using Candybar.

azncreazion
Jun 28, 2006, 10:35 PM

Nope, just tried.

josiahpugh
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 11:42 PM

You could always create a simple AppleScript that launches on startup to change the name of your HD. It's not great but it'll work.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 01:12 AM

Oh its not that big of a deal. And the icon paste thing worked for me. I used the boot camp utility icon. Works great =)

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2006, 10:54 AM

Or, boot into Windows and change the name of the hard drive there. It's blank by default.
Originally Posted by josiahpugh
You could always create a simple AppleScript that launches on startup to change the name of your HD. It's not great but it'll work.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry
Or, boot into Windows and change the name of the hard drive there. It's blank by default.
I named the Windows partition "WinXP" via the Windows Explorer, and the name shows just the same ("WinXP") on the MacOS Finder.

But it wont let me paste on a new icon. Perhaps its because I formatted my WinXP partition as NTFS and not FAT32 (and, yes, I did that on purpose).

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2006, 09:21 PM

Yep. The icon is associated with the resource, so OS X would have to be able to write to that resource to set a new icon. Since it can't, you can't change that icon in OS X. And of course any icon that XP uses is irrelevant.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 09:11 PM

I read this somewhere, but I lost the link so sorry for not citing my source.

To change the icon on your desktop for the Windows partition, follow these steps:

1) From within Windows, name the C: drive whatever you want ie "WinXP". Must not have spaces in the name.

2) Get a USB flash drive, formatted for FAT32

3) In OSX, use the copy-paste method to give the flash drive the icon you want to use for the Windows partition.

4) Open up console and type "cd /Volumes" and then "ls -la"

5) Note the name of your USB drive. Look for that name in the output of the previous command with the "._" prefix.

6) Type the following command: "cp ._USBDRIVE ._WinXP" where "USBDRIVE" is the name of your particular drive and "WinXP" is whatever you named your C: drive in the first step.

7) Reboot into Windows and look in the USB drive for a file with the .icns extension. It is hidden, so you will have to tell explorer to show hidden files. Copy this file to the root directory on your windows partition.

Now when you go back into OSX, you will see the custom icon.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

k-dub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 12:31 PM

I did exactly as you mentioned; twice. I found the hidden file and placed it in my root directory but when I logged back into OSX nothing happened. I can't seem to figure this thing out.

Originally Posted by Bolero421
I read this somewhere, but I lost the link so sorry for not citing my source.

To change the icon on your desktop for the Windows partition, follow these steps:

1) From within Windows, name the C: drive whatever you want ie "WinXP". Must not have spaces in the name.

2) Get a USB flash drive, formatted for FAT32

3) In OSX, use the copy-paste method to give the flash drive the icon you want to use for the Windows partition.

4) Open up console and type "cd /Volumes" and then "ls -la"

5) Note the name of your USB drive. Look for that name in the output of the previous command with the "._" prefix.

6) Type the following command: "cp ._USBDRIVE ._WinXP" where "USBDRIVE" is the name of your particular drive and "WinXP" is whatever you named your C: drive in the first step.

7) Reboot into Windows and look in the USB drive for a file with the .icns extension. It is hidden, so you will have to tell explorer to show hidden files. Copy this file to the root directory on your windows partition.

Now when you go back into OSX, you will see the custom icon.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by k-dub
I did exactly as you mentioned; twice. I found the hidden file and placed it in my root directory but when I logged back into OSX nothing happened. I can't seem to figure this thing out.
You also have to copy the .VolumeIcon.icns file as well from the USB drive to the root of your XP drive.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

lechuck4lfe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2007, 02:33 PM

anyone have a more detailed walkthrough for this. I cannot figure this out. In the volumes my USB drive is Storage and ._Storage but my windows file is .WinXP and ".." Dont know how to change that. Regardless i managed to copy the files to my usb drive and booted in windows but not sure what the root file is, where exactly do you put it. Any help would be great

Forum Links
Forum Rules