Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing 10.5 on a G4 PB w/ Macbook OS X Install disc?

Installing 10.5 on a G4 PB w/ Macbook OS X Install disc?
newsushi
Aug 31, 2008, 03:13 PM

Title pretty much asks it all.

My old machine is a 12" G4 Powerbook running 10.4. I upgraded to a Macbook running 10.5 last year, and would like to upgrade my old powerbook to Leopard. Is it possible to do this via the Macbook OS X Install discs that come with the Macbook?

Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2008, 03:16 PM

People say that should work.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

patrix
Aug 31, 2008, 03:39 PM

Well, apart from the fact that your license doesn'T allow you to do it, I've heard that the disks you get with a machine are made for that machine model and won't work on others...

Patrix.

newsushi  (op)
Aug 31, 2008, 04:12 PM

Well, I just stuck the disc in to find out. Apparently they are coded for the types of machines, so the Macbook install disc won't work on the Powerbook. Bummer. Thanks anyway.

Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2008, 08:08 PM

why didn't you just put the disk in in the first place?

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2008, 10:31 PM

Wait..

The MacBook is Intel. Aren't the discs processor dependent? I don't think it would work.

Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2008, 11:16 PM

Hence why it didn't work...

Apparently they are coded for the types of machines, so the Macbook install disc won't work on the Powerbook.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Hence why it didn't work...

That is Apple's way to make you buy retail Leopard install!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2008, 08:32 PM

G4 ≠ Intel Processor

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
G4 ≠ Intel Processor

I can't install Leopard for a 2.4GH MB on a MBP 17"..... They are specific to Computer to restore!

ScottMcUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Wait..

The MacBook is Intel. Aren't the discs processor dependent? I don't think it would work.
I'm not sure the discs are processor dependent. You just have to get past some code written in to the initial part of the installation.

I think the only way to do what you are trying to do is to install Leopard from your Macbook on an external firewire drive. Then drop the contents into the hard drive of your G4. This gets past the initial installation headache. I have spent hours trying to get Leopard on my old G4 with 1.5GB Ram and 1Ghz processor, but have had no success.

At first I thought I would simply do an install with my G4 in target disc mode from my Macbook. Doesn't work as Leopard will only install on a Macbook onto a GUID formated hard drive, which will not be read by the G4.

The alternative is to make a copy of the disc image and tinker with with the script, which some people have done to get around the minimum specifications required for Leopard that are written into the installation disc that prevent it from running on lower end Macs. if you don't know your way around Terminal, however, you're screwed. Suprised there isn't a crack for this.

I would recommend the first option. Haven't tried it myself as haven't got an external drive, but I figure I will buy one rather than buy the retail copy of Leopard. I paid a fortune for my Macbook and refuse to pay more money for an installation disc that I already have without a fight, (although I finally gave up with XP on Bootcamp. It is impossible to get XP on Bootcamp any other way than buying the full version. )

Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2008, 07:31 PM

You realize that you are in no way entitled to Leopard on your G4 simply because your MacBook comes with a Leopard installation disc, right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules