Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 14)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2012, 11:09 AM

Saturday Night

Me, sek, Jawbone and his friend. Conquest Assault, Back to Karkand. Having won a few games of Squad DM we move onto Conquest. Finding us a rare DLC game, we end up on the attack. Our team quickly moves in, but doesn't appear to capture any points... until they suddenly do. A and B fall in rapid succession, and in the distance I see C flashing as well. It goes red and within half a minute the game suddenly ends; With no capture points the opposing team is left with only squad mates to spawn on and they are decimated in short order. The game is called in under 5 minutes, the quickest game I have ever participated in. Jawbone snags MVP honors going 1-0 with a lot of caps.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

Sunday Afternoon

Bogues and I. Op Metro. 750 ticket game. From Russian spawn we secure B as per usual, but a hundred tickets in things start taking a turn for the worst. The US Attacks start gaining a foothold and a few times they nearly neutralize or take B before they finally succeed. At this point, we're pushed back into the streets, and a 20 minute 200+ ticket stand-off occurs with the US holding the ticket counter area. They demolish us repeatedly and we lose A once or twice. We are up against a wall and we can not get through it.

Oddly, the battle evolves – as we hold one corner the US team begins repeatedly flanking, somewhat successfully, until they seem to commit too many forces, leaving us with the original avenue now partially open. Bogues and I make a dash for it only to meet quick death as we meet a squad in the locker rooms. We can't tell if this was set-up or not, but we are quickly sent back to old stalemate.

Another 5 minutes, and the US seems to commit even more forces to flanking and now our avenue is completely open.B ogues and I make the journey again, and our team takes our cue, following. We secure B and somehow the battle now resets to the opening minutes. I am still unsure if we have been allowed this opportunity out of boredom from the other team; We have a significant ticket deficit to overcome.

If this was planned, however, it backfires. Instead of retaking B, or even stalemating us, our team with very little hesitation, begins to push forward. Soon we're down the escalators, and shortly thereafter into C. We secure it, and somehow we keep pushing. We put them into spawn and they begin bleeding tickets profusely. Motion sensors down everywhere and a few times a straggler how tries to escape is gunned down.

In the end, we won a 750 ticket game by 60 tickets. We also had what I would have to call the dirtiest player ever on our team. 137-15, with 110 DART glitch kills.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2012, 12:38 PM

Ranked up like mad this weekend, even with taking Sunday off.

Got my 3rd service star for the M1911, which at this point is catching up to the G36 in total kills.

2nd service star for the SKS, which is at 234 kills. Certainly my top weapon of the last week, I expect it will be in the number one slot soon enough. It has, for me at least, the perfect combination of close range and long range deadliness...with many double and even triple kills in one clip.

Received the first, of many no doubt, Ace Squad medal. Seems to me that I got it pretty quick all things considered. Might be an entirely different game than CoD, but our ability to dominate as a group hasn't diminished.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2012, 01:55 PM

Sunday Night - Rush

This isn't one game, but a series of four games between Bladek, Gilp, Crosbie and I.

First game was Noshahr. The team fairly easily pushed us to the final set of M-COMs where we put up a great final stand and stuffed them on the final M-COM.

The next game saw us on offense on Seine. Here, I lagged behind the squad and team, who were fast. Once we unlocked the second set of M-COMs we rushed B hard (the boat in the river), and destroyed it with ease. From there I offered support by using an MAV over the crowded A M-COM which are team still polished off in short order. After that I lead with my MAV to A where Chris armed almost immediately, while near simultaneously Bladek went around and armed B. It was disarmed but almost immediately rearmed.

By that time, I hid my MAV and went to catch up and found our LAV waiting in spawn. B was destroyed shortly after I arroved and we pushed to the final set of M-COMs. I took some rocket fire, but our team swarmed the area almost instantly and armed both M-COMs. It was all over in 11 minutes.

Game three saw us defending on Grand Bazaar, which anyone who has ever played it on Rush knows is a thankless, impossible task. Spawning first is key, and defense is difficult because of the set-up. I switched to Support figuring I'd have to do with multiple targets and suppressing, but I did not know how crucial this decision would be.

We split early, I think, with two of us overlooking each M-COM. By some miracle A wasn't armed first, but B was attacked immediately and the small enclosed area proved to be a fragfest we could not survive. After it was over I placed a claymore (B to A is a viable route) and set to work watching the street. My claymore was detonated soon.

I turned to add another but already they were trickling through. I called for reinforcements and began suppressing and killing what I could through the doorway. Grenades were continually lobbed into the room, but they had a medic, and as I dropped them they would be revived and stand back up. The firefight was intense, with the enemy squad rotating shifts popping into sight long enough to chuck grenades and spray us. I burned through several 100 round magazines and was feverishly supplying our team that had taken up residence with me. Every time my grenade would restock, I would throw it in. Finally, their squad succumbed when their wounds proved too prevalent and a grenade of mine killed five people and wiped a squad. The incursion had been thwarted.

I quickly replanted the old claymore and turned to defend the streets. Crosbie and I laid fire side by side while Chris and Bladek managed the hallways to the A MCOM. A few times my claymore would pop, and I would replace it. Once was caught by another intruder, but Crosbie managed to put them down.

This really happened, my friends. We stuffed a team on the first set of M-COMs on Grand Bazaar. And while I wasn't that effective in the previous games, I have no doubt if it hadn't been for my LMG, Ammo Crate and Claymores, it would have been a far different game. In the end I finished 29-3, with half the kills coming from claymores and grenades.

The final game of the night was not a victory, but it represented the greatest team work we could muster. Attacking Metro, Bladek managed to sneak behind enemy lines, where I spawned on him and placed a beacon. From there we provided a constant assault on their backs that was only stemmed near the end of the first set.

The second set proved disastrous; After a disorganized initial assault, Chris and I regrouped near A. where I dropped a motion sensor for Recon. Once most of the group was on me, I led out (two medics behind me) and armed the M-COM, then went up the stairs to defend. All went off without a hitch, but as our team moved to B, everyone was wiped out. Running from spawn, the defenders had time to prepare and began to stymie us far from the second objective. Time and again our team was repelled fighting from the left and middle, until I said enough and called for the squad to assemble on me.

From there we ran past A M-COM and up the stairs, attempting to flank B. Having been caught the first time when I tried solo, I immediately placed down a motion sensor and was rewarded when we caught two coming from behind. Unfortunately, the enemy's sacrifice was rewarded as we began to get flanked on both sides, and we cycled through three lives up there before the last of us finally fell. All hope was lost.

With two tickets left I had written off the game when Bladek somehow managed to get into the bathroom and arm B. Crosbie and Gilp spawned and put up a defense, but evereyone was wiped out before I could join in. From our spawn screens we could only listen as the M-Com alarm whine was about to be extinguished, but then the damnedest thing occurred – it went off.

We were given a stay of execution, but alas it was a temporary one. The defenders entrenched themselves more firmly on the third set than previously and one or two armings were for naught. We lost, but I consider it a victory of team work, strategy and persistence that we even made it that far.

It was a good game to cap the weekend.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2012, 04:10 PM

Let us know when you get into West Point Dakar.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2012, 04:20 PM

Dakar - really enjoy reading your summaries (kind of like reliving the fun)
Was disappointing to lose the last game but it was a fun session.
I originally disliked Metro but it is growing on me (can be very frustrating if you get pushed back and stuck in your spawn though).
I should be around this evening for a few games.
This signature is obsolete.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 14, 2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Let us know when you get into West Point Dakar.
I don't need no stinking clan.

Originally Posted by Chips G View Post
Dakar - really enjoy reading your summaries (kind of like reliving the fun)
Was disappointing to lose the last game but it was a fun session.
I originally disliked Metro but it is growing on me (can be very frustrating if you get pushed back and stuck in your spawn though).
I should be around this evening for a few games.
Well, I usually only post the really good stories, but there were a lot of unique experiences this weekend and they happened with pretty much everyone, so I tried to give everyone a moment of glory.

Now if only apsolid would sign on...

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 15, 2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, I usually only post the really good stories, but there were a lot of unique experiences this weekend and they happened with pretty much everyone, so I tried to give everyone a moment of glory.
That Op Metro game on Sunday was easily the highlight of the double exp weekend for me. We we dead in the water for 20 minutes and even after that first flank run I figured it was game over.

Now if only apsolid would sign on...
I actually talked to AP late last week, he was out of town this entire weekend but said he would be on this week and weekend.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I actually talked to AP late last week, he was out of town this entire weekend but said he would be on this week and weekend.
If we ever have a night where ap, sevy, bladek, and gilp are on(along with the rest of us) we will destroy some servers.

---

Another awesome run last night, save for one game. fatty seems to have turned the corner since his MVP this weekend. Game on Canals he was on point with the tank LMG ripping up infantry and messing up their little birds.

Crazy sequence of the night for me: Karkand, capture B, throw grenade onto roof of the building overlooking it to scare the snipers, double kill, climb ladder, find 2 prone side by side, double kill, see guy spotted on mini-map on the floor below, have squadmate appear on him as I'm killing him, double kill. Reload LMG, back up, discover spawn beacon, two snipers respawn with their back to me, finish reloading, double kill.

I have no idea why you'd respawn on that beacon if you just got murdered there, but whatever. 8 kills in around a minute for me!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2012, 11:02 AM

I don't know what to do about the Karkand DLC. I deleted everything off my HD minus my gamer profile save and online pass, then re-downloaded everything and it still says I'm missing content to play the maps. I was thinking it was having issues because I transferred all the files from my old x-box, but that doesn't seem to be the case. F'n lame. I may have wasted 600 pts on DLC that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 15, 2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I don't know what to do about the Karkand DLC. I deleted everything off my HD minus my gamer profile save and online pass, then re-downloaded everything and it still says I'm missing content to play the maps. I was thinking it was having issues because I transferred all the files from my old x-box, but that doesn't seem to be the case. F'n lame. I may have wasted 600 pts on DLC that doesn't work. Any suggestions?
I actually had this exact problem right after downloading B2K, What I did that finally fixed it was went in and re downloaded the 2gb title update and B2K DLC (with it still installed),shut down, booted up and "you've unlocked the back to karkland expansion".
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; May 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 15, 2012, 11:58 AM

If we ever have a night where ap, sevy, bladek, and gilp are on(along with the rest of us) we will destroy some servers.
Instead of Ace Squad Ribbons we should be getting Ace Team Ribbons...
-----

Playing a CQ game on Gulf of Oman this morning, Trying to complete my 10 BTR-90 kills, I grab the BTR alone. I start making my way to C on the main road as I notice the same Heli stalking me (killed me 3 previous times at spawn), I jump out of my burning BTR, switch over to RPG, fire a 50 meter leading shot...Double Kill, Vehicle Destroy.

Didn't get spawn killed again that game...

EDIT: sorry MW3 thread... Good Luck

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 15, 2012, 06:29 PM

Triple Post FTW:

Finally finished off all the B2K Assigments:

50 AT Kills is a pain in the as*

Repair torch: Kill an enemy & Destroy a Vehicle (good times)
Killing an enemy was easy, found a sniper prone in a building, forget the knife... i have a torch!
Vehicle on the other hand... not as easy. Per Dakar's advice I send two RPG shots to a tank, sprint over, go prone and hold the torch.

I slowly used the weapons as I got them, but there is some great weapons in this DLC that I'll be coming back too as I progress.
But even after 10+ kills per weapon... no achievement. Went back at it with the FAMAS, another 10 kills and....

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2012, 10:37 PM

I actually had this exact problem right after downloading B2K, What I did that finally fixed it was went in and re downloaded the 2gb title update and B2K DLC (with it still installed),shut down, booted up and "you've unlocked the back to karkland expansion".
So last night after I downloaded everything it still wasn't working. I turn it on today to follow your advice and as soon as the game loads, wa-la! "You've unlocked the back to Karkland expansion." I guess it just needed a hard reboot. Doesn't make sense, but whatever.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2012, 09:23 AM

IPlaying a CQ game on Gulf of Oman this morning, Trying to complete my 10 BTR-90 kills, I grab the BTR alone. I start making my way to C on the main road as I notice the same Heli stalking me (killed me 3 previous times at spawn), I jump out of my burning BTR, switch over to RPG, fire a 50 meter leading shot...Double Kill, Vehicle Destroy.
It's been by far the best change in the last patch to make RPGs and tank shells OHK against helis and jets. Now if only they'd tweak LAVs against them.

---

Another crazy fun night, last night. Started on Kharg where Chris joined in and I managed to snag the gunner seat in his chopper. Just another reminder of how far I have to go as a pilot. Still as good as Chris is, he didn't hold a candle to the (assumed) admin of the server, who was also on our squad. I jumped in on him and the guy was psychotic. Flying five feet above the water at max speed, almost clipping building roofs and threading rocks... it was intense. I almost shit my pants the first few maneuvers until I figured I could trust him.

fatty joined in late and the game was tight and honestly I wasn't trying too hard to win as I haven't gotten to gun in a chopper in a while. But we ended u winning by 14 tickets and I got myself 5 air warfare medals to add to my previous 8... which is crazy for one game. Afterwards, the admin and I had a budding bromance.

The next game was also a tight affair, but I feel like if they didn't have one guy who was dart glitching and another that fatty and I couldn't touch, it'd would not have been as close. We finished Grand Bazaar with a 9 ticket lead, another game where everyone had to give it their all or we'd have lost. (Of course the next game we got blown out on Metro)

After some fun times on the B2K maps, we closed out the night on Metro. Total domination for one and all. I opened the game 30-1 with the AS-VAL and we closed the game sniping into their spawn.

---

The other nice thing about all those heli kills is I'm now 12k away from my first attack helicopter service star.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 16, 2012, 04:51 PM

sek, let me do you a favor: Symthic | BF3 Weapon Comparison

---

So, I'm a little confused about the guided missiles on the chopper gunner. I read they're can lock onto air support if it laser designated, however I'm pretty sure that happened just last night and I didn't launch shit.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 17, 2012, 09:14 AM

sek, let me do you a favor: Symthic | BF3 Weapon Comparison
Running a couple quick comparisons easily explains my dissatisfaction with the FAMAS and absolute obsession with the KH2002

KH2002 vs FAMAS (both w/ foregrip)

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 17, 2012, 09:25 AM

Finally got AP to join Battlelog yesterday... so with that, a quick pic dump for stats so far (at least since a few of us joined the fold)

EDIT:
Dakar's stats.... unbelievable
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; May 17, 2012 at 09:45 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 10:00 AM

Running a couple quick comparisons easily explains my dissatisfaction with the FAMAS and absolute obsession with the KH2002

KH2002 vs FAMAS (both w/ foregrip)

I really wish I could see the pre-patch spread. I didn't fly up to 500 kills with it on skill alone.

---

Some nights, you can't buy a win. Of course we did have two heart-breaking losses where we lost by less than 10 tickets.

For the record, this is the profile of the guy who murderized us last night. Take note of the kill/death.

---

On the bright side, Chris & I had some fun times da choppa again, though we did go swimming twice, and I managed my first air warfare medal in the little bird, though that's mostly thanks to a lot of small things coinciding – Chris getting their Z-11 to pop its flares leading to me getting a triple and some luck destroying their Vodniks.

---

My redemption game after everyone signed off didn't go well. I got place against a team where 4 people were running the dart glitch. After the night we had, half way through the match I said **** it and equipped the damn thing. I went on a small rampage with it before my team collapsed and we had no control points, effectively ending any advantageous encounters.

---

Oh, I'm down to my last 9000 points before my first Attack Helicopter service star (and unlocking the TV Missile!)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 10:02 AM

Finally got AP to join Battlelog yesterday... so with that, a quick pic dump for stats so far (at least since a few of us joined the fold)

Now we need to get the Gilp to join.

Also, wow @ that win-loss. And as far as I know the majority of those are just ap and sevy. That's insane.

EDIT: Dakar's stats.... unbelievable
Really, which part? Because aside from my SPM, the rest of the stats are pretty average or just the result of the amount of time I put in.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 17, 2012, 10:58 AM

Really, which part? Because aside from my SPM, the rest of the stats are pretty average or just the result of the amount of time I put in.
SPM for sure, also your W/D is fantastic for your play time, also under rated is your class usage, your pie chart is almost comical for its consistency.
-----

Playing CQ on Wake Island this morning looking for my complete warrior achievement... Spawn in the F35, go into hover mode over C, Grab a quick double kill on a DPV, jump out and parachute to the ground, going into attack C I double kill two defenders with the FH2002, I make a sprint to the hanger and jump in the second seat of the tank and knock out a enemy running across the runway.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 11:49 AM

SPM for sure, also your W/D is fantastic for your play time,
W/D = win/death?

It's no secret that part of my win-loss is that after things shake out I'll jump on what I believe is the stronger team and run with them until we go on a losing streak.

But then again, you don't get 250+ MVPs riding people's coat tails. When you PTFO like I do, you both help your team and get a shit-ton of points.

also under rated is your class usage, your pie chart is almost comical for its consistency.
That's not an accident. After I got Assault and Engineer to 3 or 4 stars I decided to try and catch Support and Recon up. Then I realized there's tags for getting 5 stars. Honestly if Recon's xp requirements weren't so out of wack, the chart would be even more even. I earned the Recon Time Service Medal two weeks ago and I'm still not at 5 stars (and that's after crushing some double xp on the class). Meanwhile, the other three classes are still 2 to 3 hours away from their Service Time medals.

(Non-interesting side-note on the double xp. It definitely did adversly affect the "real" SPMs of classes/overall. Fatty now is the "top" Assault in our clan, but everytime he uses it, the SPM is dropping from its high around 375 since it was inflated by double xp. Conversely, my overall shot up from around the 530s to the 570s, however I'm still making it go up. Crazy. Hard to believe I was in the low 300s when I came back in March)

Playing CQ on Wake Island this morning looking for my complete warrior achievement... Spawn in the F35, go into hover mode over C, Grab a quick double kill on a DPV, jump out and parachute to the ground, going into attack C I double kill two defenders with the FH2002, I make a sprint to the hanger and jump in the second seat of the tank and knock out a enemy running across the runway
I hate you. Both because I will never do this, and also because I never have the time to just **** around in jets. The past two nights I feel like I've been incredibly selfish by jumping into the chopper gunner seat, rather than slugging it on the ground securing objectives. Arguably we would have won the Sharqi Peninsula game last night if I had stayed on the ground.

---

Umm, holy shit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 12:28 PM

At the risk of offending my gaming buddy, this is exactly why you should not be playing recon in Conquest mode, short of SOFLAMing or running around with shotguns or PDWs on infantry maps.

If you're relying on your secondary that much, you have the wrong primary.

Now, I wouldn't blame the loss last night on recons, not when we were constantly a man down and fatty and crosbie aren't familiar with Sharqi, but stuff like this adds up (and we lost by less than 10 tickets). You want to snipe? Play Rush defense or TDM or make damn sure you are dominating on Conquest.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2012, 01:13 PM

I don't think that you can just look at stats like that and say Recon doesn't help a team to victory.

I might average more kills with the M1911 on it. But what about the guy I snipe on a building roof that has the javelin out? Or a gaggle of snipers making life miserable for our team at C? Not to mention the SKS is my favorite weapon in general, and when I'm on with that gun, watch the f**k out.

I'll agree that I shouldn't be using the sniper as much as I am, especially with a weak team like last night, but with a competent and well-balanced team I think the support I can provide by taking out those hard-to-reach enemies is invaluable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I don't think that you can just look at stats like that and say Recon doesn't help a team to victory.
Agreed.

I might average more kills with the M1911 on it. But what about the guy I snipe on a building roof that has the javelin out? Or a gaggle of snipers making life miserable for our team at C?
A snipers greatest weakness is CQB. If a bunch are grouped together some where (like the top of E, for example), the answer is a flank (or a heli). A sniping war takes longer and is poor strategy if you're outnumbered.

This is where I go back to inexperience on Sharqi playing a role. You can own E while a bunch enemy snipers own the roof and its their loss. It play very different from most maps.

Not to mention the SKS is my favorite weapon in general, and when I'm on with that gun, watch the f**k out.
Given it's damage drop-off at range, I don't think it's the greatest choice for long-range shoot-outs with other snipers.

I'll agree that I shouldn't be using the sniper as much as I am, especially with a weak team like last night, but with a competent and well-balanced team I think the support I can provide by taking out those hard-to-reach enemies is invaluable.
With a competent and well-balanced team I can afford to **** around in a heli. Snipers in Conquest are the Jets of the ground. The good ones can change a game on their best days, but more often they're just a nuisance, and usually just a waste of space.

The best sniper strategies I would put forth for Sharqi is to snipe on top of the building at B, using a motion sensor and making sure to keep both B and A. Alternatively, you could go up on the crane and direct traffic, slowing any enemy captures at B and D until the team arrives.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 01:40 PM

Pro-tip for you guys: If you want to see what your SPM is per class/vehicle, create a platoon with yourself as the only member.

Also, I have no idea why the SPM is completely different than everywhere else. Perhaps its calculated differently.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2012, 04:27 PM

Given it's damage drop-off at range, I don't think it's the greatest choice for long-range shoot-outs with other snipers.
If I'm rocking the SKS I'm not trying to counter-snipe, that gun works best for me in very intense, crowd-laden situations. I've had games on Metro where I'm getting double and triple kills almost every time before I'm downed. I use it like an AR, a very good and powerful AR with great range and little recoil.

Something I forgot to mention, and I'm not sure there is a stat attached to this, is the amount of assits I get when sniping. For every kill I'd reckon I get two high-damage assits. If there are a few guys rushing a point and I manage to peg them only once a piece, odds are they will be finished off. Couple that with having me as a "spotter" of enemy movements and whatnot and I still don't think I'm as detrimental sniping as you make it out.

The key to victory is a diverse team covering all the bases, though I do pull out quite a few 2nd MVPs running Assault and healing folks. Of course, how much is helped by having a cleverly placed spawn beacon, or TUGS?

All in all, not trying to sound defensive or anything. I'm just really into sniping in most games, and with bullet drop and large maps BF3 makes sniping even more enjoyable IMO. Sometimes rushing from point to point gets a little tiring and I want to perch somewhere, and I agree this is not always helpful in CQ...but every once and a while I think having my skill in sniping be proficient can be the key to a close victory given the right circumstances.

But even before you mentioned this I realized I was poorly utilizing my kits (hey, I'm a newb) That's why I'm at the M416 with Assault and the PKP for Support now.

------------------

Going back to the stat images I immediately laughed at Dakar's near-even distribution of kit playtime. Also noticed most people prefer Engineer over everything, which I think is a good jack-of-all-trades sort of class. It's probably for balance reasons, but I find it weird that C4 isn't an engineer gadget.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 04:54 PM

If I'm rocking the SKS I'm not trying to counter-snipe, that gun works best for me in very intense, crowd-laden situations. I've had games on Metro where I'm getting double and triple kills almost every time before I'm downed. I use it like an AR, a very good and powerful AR with great range and little recoil.
Yeah, Metro CQ plays more like TDM, but I don't have issues with it there (Unless everyone is recon. Had a game the other night where we recreated the sonic net from MW# – there were 4 TUGs all around the B cap).

Something I forgot to mention, and I'm not sure there is a stat attached to this, is the amount of assits I get when sniping. For every kill I'd reckon I get two high-damage assits. If there are a few guys rushing a point and I manage to peg them only once a piece, odds are they will be finished off. Couple that with having me as a "spotter" of enemy movements and whatnot and I still don't think I'm as detrimental sniping as you make it out.
Nope, it's a good point.

The key to victory is a diverse team covering all the bases, though I do pull out quite a few 2nd MVPs running Assault and healing folks. Of course, how much is helped by having a cleverly placed spawn beacon, or TUGS?
Depends on the map. TUGS won't do crap on Wake, Caspian, Op Firestorm, Kharg, Oman, and might be useful on Damavand, Sharqi, and Noshahr, but is key on infantry maps. I do find the spawn beacon even more situational.

All in all, not trying to sound defensive or anything. I'm just really into sniping in most games, and with bullet drop and large maps BF3 makes sniping even more enjoyable IMO. Sometimes rushing from point to point gets a little tiring and I want to perch somewhere, and I agree this is not always helpful in CQ...but every once and a while I think having my skill in sniping be proficient can be the key to a close victory given the right circumstances.

But even before you mentioned this I realized I was poorly utilizing my kits (hey, I'm a newb) That's why I'm at the M416 with Assault and the PKP for Support now.
You don't sound defensive, any more than I sound like I'm raging. It's just worth pointing out that like every other FPS, they can get overused because of the allure. Seeing as we don't play straight kill modes, they can be even more detrimental.

It's not like since you joined I haven't made ridiculous comments like "I should probably change to Medic if we're going to win" because I was focused on levelling classes or weapons.

Going back to the stat images I immediately laughed at Dakar's near-even distribution of kit playtime. Also noticed most people prefer Engineer over everything, which I think is a good jack-of-all-trades sort of class. It's probably for balance reasons, but I find it weird that C4 isn't an engineer gadget.
Engineer gets the most PT because it's the most effective at destroying (and repairing) vehicles, and vehicles are on every map but metro, I think, making it more of a necessity than a luxury. Also, in the early days, people would spam RPGs on the CQB maps (where engineers are typically less important).

Support got C4 because otherwise the engineer class would have too much stuff, and it complements Claymores.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2012, 07:04 PM

OK - I signed up for battle log - pretty depressing seeing my K/D (0.61)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2012, 08:23 PM

OK - I signed up for battle log - pretty depressing seeing my K/D (0.61)
Linky?

I didn't expect that, though I have noticed on the more uphill games you do take a beating trying to secure that win.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2012, 11:15 PM

I think this is the correct link.
Notice how diverse I am with my classes.
Progression - chrisgilqin - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2012, 09:44 AM

I think this is the correct link.
Sent you a friend request.

Notice how diverse I am with my classes.
I was expecting that – I noticed that past week or two you were always engineer when we suddenly needed one. Figured it wasn't coincidence.

You're not too far behind me on the attack chopper service star, and you're close to opening the third seat on the tank as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2012, 09:58 AM

Well, the week continues to be amazing. Yesterday started rough – 1000 ticket game on Metro with Bogues and sek that suddenly went awry half-way through and we went from like a 200 ticket lead to a loss being pinned in spawn. On the bright side, I got to practice sniping and was doing well enough that they began to avoid the side we were on.

From there sek and I migrated to Squad Rush and proceeded to rattle off a series of wins, including a game on Damavand where we blew through the defense in under 5 minutes and no one permanently died.

Later on in the night I joined Jawbone and we continued to roll so strongly he coerced himself into staying on longer than he had planned.

After fatty signed back on we had a game Noshahr where our team only lost 7 tickets total over the course of the game. Brutal.

The server was a mix of Rush & Conquest, and when we got a shot at Grand Bazaar Rush, fatty was excited at the prospect of playing defense and replicating the first set stuff that he missed out on a few nights before. As luck would have it... we did.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 10:15 AM

Weekend Notes

• Attack Chopper Service Star! Unlocked TV Missiles, however my enthusiasm has been diminished as with all things in this game, they are much harder to use than anticipated. They don't turn on a dime and there's input lag. Also, they are kinda aimed at the ground. Still, I'll stick with them for a bit to see if I can get a hang of things. I certainly haven't had the opportunity to use them in a more advantageous position.

• More on the attack chopper: As with all things in this game, it got significantly easier to get kills with towards the end. ECM, Guided Rockets = more air time and more death to ground targets.

• I may be starting to get my legs under me with the Scout helis. Got a Air Warfare ribbon on Noshahr (messin' up tanks!) and did a run on Damavand Rush where I actually managed to specifically target and kill someone trying to stinger me.

• Earned 5th service star (mastery) on Engineer and Recon Classes. Also earned Time Service Medals for Assault, engineer, and support classes.

• Mastered (500 kills) on the AS-VAL and M60E.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 10:15 AM

Dakar, can you do me a favour? Take a few mins to look at my stats and recommend what I should focus on in terms of class, what weapons I should try to rank up etc.

Looks like a few mates are getting into BF3, plus I can't stand reading this thread and seeing all the fun that you guys are having.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2012, 10:53 AM

I'm finally feeling like my legs are under me just a bit.

My K/D is almost never impressive, but I've been racking up a ton of points distributing ammo/health, capturing flags, and, more recently, C4ing the crap out of everything with wheels (including Crosbie once...whoops).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 11:02 AM

Dakar, can you do me a favour? Take a few mins to look at my stats and recommend what I should focus on in terms of class, what weapons I should try to rank up etc.

Looks like a few mates are getting into BF3, plus I can't stand reading this thread and seeing all the fun that you guys are having.
Well, nothing jumps out at me, but it's kind of moot asif you caught my conversation above there's no ideal class for all maps or game types. That's the charm of the game.

Given the run I've been having lately, I would recommend Support as the best contingency class. The M27 is reminiscent of the AUG from MW2 – a sort of hybrid between the ARs and LMGs. It has good accuracy at range when bust firing, good power, and a deep clip, though a small one compared to most of its cousins in the LMG class. You can alternate between Claymores and C4 depending on whether a map is more infantry of vehicle based, and you can keep better players in the ammo.

In fact, even if it weren't for my experiences, Jawbone excelled this weekend running just that class and set-up, and hung with the top half of the lobby most of the time. You'll have to get his opinion on the M27, but I imagine its positive.

For your engineer class, I notice that you have incredibly good stats with the A-91, though that wouldn't be my first choice, but that, the SCAR you have less impressive stats with.

For assault I recommend you try running with the AEK.

Don't touch recon, unless you're running shotgun on small maps, or defense on Rush.

That's it, for now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2012, 11:29 AM

I've only used the M27 and RPK with Support, but that's mostly because I haven't really found a reason to stop using the M27 until I complete the unlocks with another 63 kills. I haven't been that picky with my weapons yet.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 11:54 AM

That's it, for now.
Cheers for that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 02:11 PM

Cheers for that.
The reality of this game is compared to Call of Duty, the learning curve is steep. Sure in COD you have to figure out perk combos, superior guns, and how maps play,but Battlefield is ridiculously deep. It's more than four classes. I've invested a shit-ton of time into this game and I'm only just now becoming a slightly above average little bird pilot. Or a solid chopper gunner.

Then there's all the dynamics to worry about. Even if you know how to use the right class on the right map, if your team leaves gaps, you may have to play out of your comfort zone (i.e., I've seen Metro played all sort of ways – too many recons, too many support, too many medics. At which point you need to change class).

Here's all the roles you can take (off the to of my head):

• Assault Medic
• CQB Assault (M26 Mass)
• Explosive Assault (M320)

• Support Engineer (Repair Tool)
• Anti-Tank Engineer (M15 Mines)
• Anti-Air Engineer

• Aggressive or Suppressive Support (Mobile or Spray & Pray)
• Anti-Tank Support (C4)
• Entrenched Support (Claymores + Bipods)
• Artillery Support (Mortar)

• Recon Sniper
• Aerial Recon (MAV)
• Aggressive Recon (Shotgun or PDW)
• Anti-Vehicle Recon (SOFLAM)

• Tank Driver (Anti-Vehicle first, Infantry second)
• IFV Driver (Highly Mobile and aggressive towards infantry)
• Tank and IFV Gunner (Keep infantry away)
• Support Chopper (Ferrying people)
• Attack Chopper (Little Bird or Viper)
• Mobile Anti-Air
• Useless Nutsack (Stationary Anti-Air)
• Nutsack (Jet)

That's a lot of options and roles to learn.

I've already related the story of playing the SOFLAM–Javelin-Support combo. Another example was playing Squad DM with fatty and Crosbie. I've started getting back into assault and I'm now learning that, while one of the best offensive classes, it's balance is that it runs out of ammo quite quickly if you're aggressive. In which case, you need support to keep you in ammo else, you run into several situations where you clip runs out earlier than you're expecting (usually meaning death).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 04:13 PM

YOU HAVE DISABLED USER GENERATED CONTENT. RENTED SERVERS USER GENERATED CONTENT WILL NOT BE SHOWN.

I'm seeing this everytime I go into server browser. I've changed privacy settings of my account, I've sacrificed chickens. Nothing works. What Da F***?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 04:18 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 04:24 PM

• Useless Nutsack (Stationary Anti-Air)
• Nutsack

Been there done that. Time for a new approach.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 04:25 PM

Yeah did that. Wonder if a reboot of the Xbox is necessary.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 04:28 PM

Go back to CoD.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 05:12 PM

lol, I love you too Dakar.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 05:34 PM

It's not me, it's obviously the BF3 gods that hate you. Or the CoD gods are punishing you.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2012, 05:54 PM

First game back was a mauling, 6-17. Second lasted 10 secs but the third was fun.

Battle Report - Battlelog / Battlefield 3

Rush isn't so bad if you're playing with mates. Oh and the AEK was a good choice Dakar, cheers again.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2012, 06:18 PM

The KH2002 would be the other AR recommendation per the forum (Bogues loves it, sek noticed how often he gets killed by it, and while I don't really have much of an opinion, my stats say I murdered with it), but its a co-op unlock.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2012, 06:17 AM

EA servers went offline this morning (I'm doing the late shift) during my first co-op match. Otherwise some fun was had in Rush on Wake. Managed to arm a few M-COMs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules