Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 5G - Now or Later?

5G - Now or Later?
Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 04:27 PM

Well, I'm finally going upgrade from my aging 15GB 3rd gen. However, I don't exactly want to spend 400 dollars only to have apple release an updated iPod a month later. I haven't seen much on the rumor sites, but my question is:

How long do you think until Apple revises the full size iPod line (whether it be larger HD's or whatnot)?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2005, 04:39 PM

Well, they just introduced the new iPods less than a month ago, so I can't think of a better time to buy one if you're concerned about them being replaced.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 04:45 PM

I'd hope so.

I'm just hoping apple doesn't release 80gb iPods at Macworld.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2005, 05:25 PM

I'd be very surprised if they did. Plus I remember reading somewhere that the type of drives used in the new iPods top out at 60GB at the moment.

crooner
Senior User
Nov 12, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Well, they just introduced the new iPods less than a month ago, so I can't think of a better time to buy one if you're concerned about them being replaced.

Yep. If you get one now you stand to be on the iPod bleeding edge for several months.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 02:07 PM

Seconded. Additionally, the transitition from 5G to 6G won't probably be as extensive as 4 G to 5G was. So, way to go 5G iPod. It's a great product.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 06:32 PM

Went down to the Apple Store last night and got myself a black 60GB (still waiting on the case, though).

crooner
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 01:26 AM

Congrats, Brien!

You're gonna love it. I'm amazed at just how much I use the video capabilities - far more than I thought I ever would.

Now, like you, just waiting on a good case...

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 01:30 AM

Yep, already enjoying it, although I'm too paranoid to remove it from it's protective plasticwrap that it shipped with (only once, to sync the thing).

Now hurry up and ship my invisibleSHIELD!

Forum Links
Forum Rules