Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Read/write access to NTFS volumes on Lion?

Read/write access to NTFS volumes on Lion?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2011, 07:17 AM

Which one is the best, cleanest option out there.?

TIA.

P
Aug 22, 2011, 07:25 AM

Probably this one, but it's not free. This project has promise, but I don't think it's about done yet.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Probably this one, but it's not free.
Thanks P. I like that one, looks very polished.

BTW, I've tried formatting the external portable hard drive (WD My Passport Essential) as exFAT but its default Allocation Unit Size being 128 KB so more wasted space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2011, 09:09 AM

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2011, 01:02 PM

After installing Tuxera NTFS and restarting the Mac Pro, I got a weird issue where the mouse pointer would move annoyingly slow. Then after an additional restart, it was fixed but alas, as soon as I tried to open the BootCamp drive, I got a kernel panic. So, I uninstalled it.

Thanks S.H.

BTW, it seems there is this trick that lets Windows users read HFS+ formatted hard drives after having run the Bootcamp.msi (or Bootcamp64.msi for Windows 64bit Editions) installer from the Snow Leopard DVD on a PC.

P
Aug 22, 2011, 02:31 PM

It was not trick on my model - Bootcamp installed a read-only HFS+ driver along with all the other drivers.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2011, 02:39 PM

MacDrive is good if you want to read/write HFS+ on Windows. The last time I used MacDrive it was really polished, but that was a while back.

Mediafour - MacDrive - Access Mac Disks |

And of course there is exFAT but I have no experience with it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2012, 03:31 PM

So, is this correct?

Paragon NTFS roughly competitive with Tuxera NTFS in terms of speed and reliability, but cost money.
3G-NTFS much slower with no direct support, but it's free, and developed by Tuxera and is supposedly just as stable as Tuxera NTFS.

I'm finding I'm needing NTFS support and wondering if I should pay for it, and if so, which one I should pay for. if 3G-NTFS is stable I'd probably just stick with that, because I'd mainly be using NTFS with USB drives and slow laptop 5400 rpm drives, both over USB 2.0.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2012, 02:23 AM

I ended choosing Paragon NTFS for Mac and am very happy with it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2012, 09:37 AM

Any particular reason you chose Paragon over Tuxera? Was it because Tuxera was late coming to Lion?

I note that on the Android side, Asus has chosen Tuxera's Linux/Android drivers, but I have no idea specifically why. Note though that Tuxera supports exFAT and Paragon doesn't, which may be one reason Tuxera is more popular for Android.

Paragon is a lot cheaper for Mac OS X though, at US$20. Tuxera's full-speed version is 25 Euro (but their much slower 3G-NTFS implementation is free).

I'm thinking of waiting until Mountain Lion is out, and then buying whatever's first to it and cheaper, which based on history may be Paragon... or else just installing 3G-NTFS from Tuxera for free. For now on Lion I'll just install 3G-NTFS and test that out. I don't want to pay $20-35 only to have to pay it again in a few months when Mountain Lion ships.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2012, 01:55 PM

Any particular reason you chose Paragon over Tuxera? Was it because Tuxera was late coming to Lion?
Well, Paragon NTFS was the only solution that worked fine back in the day when I needed it. As simple as that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules