Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will the Passion be on Television?

Will the Passion be on Television?
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 02:23 PM

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2004, 02:27 PM

Yep.

I just hope ESPN doesn't pick it up...

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/1749399

Discuss.
It will be hypocrisy if the FCC made such a big deal about the boob incident and allow Passion to be shown unedited.

Maybe on HBO or another cable network but definitely not on network television.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
It will be hypocrisy if the FCC made such a big deal about the boob incident and allow Passion to be shown unedited.

Maybe on HBO or another cable network but definitely not on network television.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 02:47 PM

What?

The "boob" incident had no warning. That does not apply to this movie. If there were a warning for the half-time show, then there may have been much less controversy.

If there is a Warning prior to the showing of the movie, then there would be no problem.

Are you saying that by viewing "The Passion of the Christ", young people will go out and try to reproduce what they see? Will they be negatively affected?

I disagree, and think they will respond like most that have seen the show and have a positive response to the movie as opposed to other shows that are already on television.

For example:

Television's Impact on Behavior
In light of the fact that programming has become worse in the last ten years, some defenders of television will argue that the impact of such programs is minimal. Again, the work of the Parents Television Council is helpful. They cite various studies and surveys that document the effects of television, especially on young people.

Let's first look at the impact violent programs have on behavior. The Parents Television Council cites a review of nearly 1000 studies presented to the American College of Forensic Psychiatry in 1998. They found "that all but 18 demonstrated that screen violence leads to real violence, and 12 of those 18 were funded by the television industry. In 1992, the American Psychological Association concluded that 40 years of research on the link between TV violence and real-life violence has been ignored, stating that the 'scientific debate is over' and calling for federal policy to protect society." - (Anderson, 2000)

Next:

"Violent TV Shows Inspire Violence in Kids

Children who watch violent television shows, identify with aggressive characters and perceive the TV violence to be realistic are more likely to be aggressive as adults. That is the conclusion of a 15-year study of 329 youth published in the March 2003 issue of Developmental Psychology, a journal of the American Psychological Association.

Researchers undertook the study as a follow-up to a 1977 longitudinal study of 557 children, ages six to ten, growing up in the Chicago area. In that study, children reported which violent TV shows they watched most, whether they identified

with the aggressive characters and whether they thought the violence was realistic. The new study resurveyed 329 of the original participants, now in their early 20s. Researchers also interviewed their spouses and friends about their aggressive behaviors, and checked criminal records and traffic violations.

What the Study Found

Results show that those who had frequently watched violent TV shows as children and enjoyed and identified with them tended to be more aggressive as adults. Men, for example, were significantly more likely to have pushed, grabbed or shoved their spouses, to have responded to an insult by shoving a person and to have been convicted of a crime. Women were more likely to have thrown something at their spouses and to have responded to someone who made them angry by shoving or punching them. They were also more likely to have committed some type of criminal act and traffic violation.

Might these results simply be an indication that more aggressive children like to watch violent TV shows? "It is more plausible that exposure to TV violence increases aggression than that aggression increases TV-violence viewing," says one of the researchers. "For both boys and girls, habitual early exposure to TV violence is predictive of more aggression by them later in life independent of their own initial childhood aggression."

Interestingly, the strongest effects came not from the most violent programs, the study found, but from those that children liked the best. "Violent scenes that children are most likely to model their behavior after are ones in which they identify with the perpetrator of the violence, the perpetrator is rewarded for the violence and in which children perceive the scene as telling about life like it really is," say the researchers.

What Parents Can Do

The study suggests a number of steps parents can take to prevent or reduce this effect. One is watching TV with your child and discussing the programs. Research has shown that parental co-viewing reduces the child's identification with the person committing the violent act, as well as the child's perception that the violence is real. It also reduces the likelihood that the child will act out the violence immediately after seeing it on TV.

V-chip technology, which gives parents a way to control what programs their child can watch, is a step in the right direction, according to the authors, "but only if a content-based rating system is used that would actually allow parents to make judgments on the basis of violent content instead of the age guideline rating system used for many programs."

From a March 2003 press release from the American Psychological Association."
Current Violent Television Shows:

NYPD Blue
CSI Miami, New York
Schindler's List (Shown uncut) Rated (R)

References:

Kirby, A. "Sex and Violence on Television"
http://www.probe.org/docs/sex-viol.html

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/V/...iolenceand.htm

http://www.parentsoup.com/elementary...a=adid=7778474 (Ad attached.)

http://www.cybercollege.com/violence.htm

http://www.apa.org/journals/xap/xap44291.html

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 03:01 PM

Discuss.
Hope it happens.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2004, 03:06 PM

Way to put words in everyone's mouth. Boy, did you ever have Google and your clipboard ready today, mister! :superthumbsup:

The violence in NYPD and CSI is nothing like the violence in The Passion, right? Despite the showing of Schindler's List�which I think has more value to it than The Passion anyway�I think it would be hypocritical. If I had the choice and had to stick with the current guidelines, then no. Don't show it.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Way to put words in everyone's mouth. Boy, did you ever have Google and your clipboard ready today, mister! :superthumbsup:

The violence in NYPD and CSI is nothing like the violence in The Passion, right? Despite the showing of Schindler's List�which I think has more value to it than The Passion anyway�I think it would be hypocritical. If I had the choice and had to stick with the current guidelines, then no. Don't show it.
What words did I put into anyone's mouth?

If they can show those and other TV shows with a Warning, then I don't see why they can't show Schinder's List which was rated (R) uncut on TV, and The Passion.

The current guidelines wouldn't let Schinder's List on?
You have no argument, but for the fact you want to argue.

Double Standard....

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 03:14 PM

unless the networks are taken over by super-zealous, evangelical christians or fundementalist catholics, i doubt it.

though maybe on FOX.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by mattyd:
unless the networks are taken over by super-zealous, evangelical christians or fundementalist catholics, i doubt it.

though maybe on FOX.
Lol. I was just going to say Fox wouldn't have a problem with it.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 03:27 PM

Maybe it has something to do with Schindler's List promoting a humanitarian message, while the Passion exploits violence to promote an overtly religious one...

Of course someone will gobble up Passion's TV rights, and it'll be a big deal. What's with your persecution complex?

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Maybe it has something to do with Schindler's List promoting a humanitarian message, while the Passion exploits violence to promote an overtly religious one...

Of course someone will gobble up Passion's TV rights, and it'll be a big deal. What's with your persecution complex?
Jesus dying on the Cross is the ultimate humanitarian message.
Schindler's list has nothing to do with the Jewish faith? Huh...
Did you watch Schindler's List? (Full Frontal Nudity, Concentration Camps, Dead Nude Bodies in mass graves...)

I don't have a persecution complex, why would you think that?
( Last edited by ghost_flash; Apr 30, 2004 at 03:36 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 03:36 PM

Jesus dying on the Cross is the ultimate humanitarian message.
Schindler's list has nothing to do with the Jewish faith? Huh...
Those being persecuted happened to be Jewish, but it's a universal message. Jesus also happened to be Jewish, but the Passion's message is for Christians. And not only that, it's for Christians who happen to think that this kind of violent imagery is a legitimate way to advertise their faith.

I don't have any problem with violence or nudity in and of themselves, what matters is the message that's being portrayed.

And no, there isn't really a parallel to CSI...

I don't have a persecution complex, why would you think that?
Because you came out here swinging, as if any of us really object to the Passion being shown on TV... The reality is that it will probably be shown uncensored somewhere.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2004, 03:41 PM

If they can show those and other TV shows with a Warning, then I don't see why they can't show Schinder's List which was rated (R) uncut on TV, and The Passion.
The point was the level of violence shown in NYPD Blue and CSI are nothing compared to Schindler's List and The Passion. They don't just show anything on television because they slap a warning on it before airing it.

Double Standard....
No one's trying to argue but you. We're having a discussion of opinions on the matter, right? If they restrict what is shown on television with their current standards, they should stick with 'em. I was agreeing that it would be hypocritical of them. If you've got these guidelines in place, I think it's stupid to "show violent movies sometimes ... well, you know, if we stick a warning on it" but then restrict the creators of shows. You would never see a show like the Sopranos on primetime TV.

So, yeah, it's a double standard all right.

But yes, maybe on Fox.

But seriously, why do we care at all if the movie is shown or not? In the end, I really don't give a crap.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 03:46 PM

You give a crap.

Hypocracy:

America defending Israel.

The Passion nets $300 plus million domestically...

The Jews are lobbying the networks to NOT show the Passion.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 03:47 PM

But seriously, why do we care at all if the movie is shown or not? In the end, I really don't give a crap.
I've always wondered how it is that conservatives can simultaneously argue that people should take responsibility for their own actions, yet violence and nudity on TV are responsible for the deterioration of our society.

So it's okay to not take responsibility for your actions as long as you blame it on TV, I think I got it...

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 03:48 PM

I don't know why you replied to mindfad, but I have shown scientific data and resources of over 300 studies done that prove that "Violence on Television" increases violence in young people.

Where is your evidence to the contrary?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 03:50 PM

You give a crap.

Hypocracy:
Hypocrisy

Lets try another, math:
Israel != Jews

Success != Endorsement

0.25 * First Amendment = Free Speech

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 03:51 PM

Free Speech = Showing the Passion on TV, just like Schindler's List was.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 03:54 PM

Free Speech = Showing the Passion on TV, just like Schindler's List was.

If some Jewish groups feel it's an anti-Semitic film then they have a right to protest its airing on public airwaves. I don't think it's hypocritical, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.

edit: must have inadvertantly changed that letter somehow. I'll blame it on Windows
( Last edited by itai195; Apr 30, 2004 at 03:59 PM. )

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 03:55 PM

If some Jewish groups feel it's an anti-Semitic film then they have a right to protest its airing on public airwaves. I don't think it's hypocritical, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.
Uhm, you wrote Lisp. Was that intended to mean something?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2004, 04:02 PM

You give a crap.

Hypocracy:

What in the hell are you on about? This is spillage from the bickering forum, right? Are we talking about getting the Passion on TV or what?

I don't know why you replied to mindfad, but I have shown scientific data and resources of over 300 studies done that prove that "Violence on Television" increases violence in young people.

Where is your evidence to the contrary?

So you have evidence that violence on television increases violence in young people. Have you even read any of my posts? I'd say they agreed with you at first.

But I'm not so sure. I can't bring myself to really blame the TV. I'd think it's more a problem in how this country's children are raised. Or maybe that they are mostly raised by the television. You know, despite your massive amount of Google evidence.

Don't fret. Your Passion movie will probably be shown. Mel will rejoice, and so will you. So all's cool.

Now I'm not sure what this thread is about anymore, but I vote to change the topic to tampons.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 30, 2004, 04:02 PM

ghost_flash, you wrote Lisp. i saw it before you edited it.

and i find your approach to this topic objectionable. you post a story, ask for people to discuss it, and then attack anyone who disagrees with your preformed opinion.

if you want to hear different views on a matter, fine. take in what they have to say, debate it in a peaceful manner, emerge from the thread with a wider perspective on the issue.
but don't start a thread so that you can rant about your pet issues and bark at people.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 04:21 PM

On a power trip are you?

saddam hussein
Apr 30, 2004, 04:27 PM

Discuss.
So which admin are you?

Discuss.
"Satan, your ass is gigantic and red-
who am I supposed to pretend you are, Liza Minelli?"

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 05:22 PM

On a power trip are you?
is this bill o'reilley?

xenu
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 06:54 PM

I imagine it will be on the fantasy network.
Along with the UFO cover ups, and the search for Atlantis.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 30, 2004, 07:36 PM

On no.. not a overtly religious message!

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by xenu:
I imagine it will be on the fantasy network.
Along with the UFO cover ups, and the search for Atlantis.

but, wait. mel told me it was "the truth".

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 30, 2004, 07:39 PM

You give a crap.

Hypocracy:

I don't know why. It doesn't show that the Jews are Jesus Killers. Some High Jewish priests (The Pharisees) Which wasn't about love but strict moral code. Jesus many times made an example of them. They didn't like that.

Most of Jesus's followers were Jews. The first Christians were as well.

The Jews didn't kill Jesus.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I don't know why. It doesn't show that the Jews are Jesus Killers. Some High Jewish priests (The Pharisees) Which wasn't about love but strict moral code. Jesus many times made an example of them. They didn't like that.

Most of Jesus's followers were Jews. The first Christians were as well.

The Jews didn't kill Jesus.
I know that....

OH-N'omac
Apr 30, 2004, 09:18 PM

I hope it is...that should help pave the way to put Kill Bill on television unedited as well. Passion was a crappy movie unless you were cheering for the Romans the whole time, but if it helps lower broadcasting standards for gore and senseless violence then sign me up as a supporter.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2004, 11:15 PM

I say give Fox the Jesus� rights.

Appropriate advertisers would be important.

Note to Rupert - approach hardware chains.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
I hope it is...that should help pave the way to put Kill Bill on television unedited as well. Passion was a crappy movie unless you were cheering for the Romans the whole time, but if it helps lower broadcasting standards for gore and senseless violence then sign me up as a supporter.
I guess I got something different out of the movie than you.

deej5871
Senior User
May 1, 2004, 01:10 AM

I agree with Zimphire's last post. If all you got out of the Passion was a man being beaten then you didn't get the effect that was intended. The Passion is supposed to be about Jesus' last hours, and the reason Jesus had 'last hours' is because he died on the cross to forgive humanity's sins, so it is supposed to trigger emotions of love for Jesus..

[Off-topic]
Originally posted by Demonhood:
and i find your approach to this topic objectionable. you post a story, ask for people to discuss it, and then attack anyone who disagrees with your preformed opinion.
Why can't he voice his opinions in his own topic? He never said that he only wanted to hear others' opinions. To me this is like saying if I post a thread that links to a story on PC-bashing and people start saying their opinions about PCs, then I'm not allowed to say my opinions about Macs. [/Off-topic]

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 01:13 AM

People don't like talking about Jesus.

Well people that don't like Jesus that is.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 01:23 AM

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 01:41 AM

BTW, I wasn't inferring that Demon didn't like Jesus.

He is probably one of those cooler Jesus liking Demons.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 01:57 AM

You would never see a show like the Sopranos on primetime TV.
Ya do over here But then again, Kate's American housemates were shocked the other day that Sex and the City was on primetime TV over here also.

OreoCookie
May 1, 2004, 02:54 AM

What?

The "boob" incident had no warning. That does not apply to this movie. If there were a warning for the half-time show, then there may have been much less controversy.

If there is a Warning prior to the showing of the movie, then there would be no problem.

Are you saying that by viewing "The Passion of the Christ", young people will go out and try to reproduce what they see? Will they be negatively affected?

I disagree, and think they will respond like most that have seen the show and have a positive response to the movie as opposed to other shows that are already on television.

For example:

Next:

Current Violent Television Shows:

NYPD Blue
CSI Miami, New York
Schindler's List (Shown uncut) Rated (R)

References:

Kirby, A. "Sex and Violence on Television"
http://www.probe.org/docs/sex-viol.html

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/V/...iolenceand.htm

http://www.parentsoup.com/elementary...a=adid=7778474 (Ad attached.)

http://www.cybercollege.com/violence.htm

http://www.apa.org/journals/xap/xap44291.html
I think it is a lot more harmful to show violence than sex.
It's really weird to see all this violence on TV, but no body parts, ridiculous.

When I lived in the states, the guests at Jerry Springer would beat up each other on a regular basis ... so what does that tell you?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
May 1, 2004, 02:58 AM

What words did I put into anyone's mouth?

Double Standard....
No, no double standard.
I don't care whether they show The Passion on TV or not.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

xenu
Senior User
May 1, 2004, 06:05 AM

LOL. Nice non argument.

Jesus bores people who don't give a damn about your religion.
Keep it to yourself, and there will be no problem.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 09:55 AM

LOL. Nice non argument.

Jesus bores people who don't give a damn about your religion.
Keep it to yourself, and there will be no problem.
So how is you not keeping your opinion about Jesus any different?

Being that this thread is about a movie of his life, it's on topic.

If you don't like people talking about Jesus. Don't go into threads about him.

It's that simple.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
I agree with Zimphire's last post. If all you got out of the Passion was a man being beaten then you didn't get the effect that was intended. The Passion is supposed to be about Jesus' last hours, and the reason Jesus had 'last hours' is because he died on the cross to forgive humanity's sins, so it is supposed to trigger emotions of love for Jesus..
That's also like saying, if all you got out of Schindler's List was a bunch of Germans killing Jews only because they only hated Jews... 4,000,000 other people died... who were NOT Jewish.

It was meant to "trigger" emotions to come to the aid of Jews, even today.
I don't have a problem with it.

[Off-topic]

Why can't he voice his opinions in his own topic? He never said that he only wanted to hear others' opinions. To me this is like saying if I post a thread that links to a story on PC-bashing and people start saying their opinions about PCs, then I'm not allowed to say my opinions about Macs. [/Off-topic]
True. He is biased though.
As an Administrator, he has overstepped his bounds too much with me.
Too many others can say whatever they want, and get away with it.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 12:09 PM

What in the hell are you on about? This is spillage from the bickering forum, right? Are we talking about getting the Passion on TV or what?

So you have evidence that violence on television increases violence in young people. Have you even read any of my posts? I'd say they agreed with you at first.

But I'm not so sure. I can't bring myself to really blame the TV. I'd think it's more a problem in how this country's children are raised. Or maybe that they are mostly raised by the television. You know, despite your massive amount of Google evidence.

Don't fret. Your Passion movie will probably be shown. Mel will rejoice, and so will you. So all's cool.

Now I'm not sure what this thread is about anymore, but I vote to change the topic to tampons.
The Passion on TV... yes. I don't have a clue as to what the rest of your sentence meant.
No reason to comment. It's only argumentative.

Great, you can't blame Television.... even in the face of *hundreds* of studies that prove your oppinion is wrong. (Head in sand syndrome).

Show me your empirical evidence to the contrary.

What is wrong with using Google to search for evidence? the sources are there, and they are all well documented with further links to other studies numbering in the hundreds, that concurr.

I won't "fret", and am not "fretting". I know it will be picked up, but find it hypocritical that none of the main alphabet networks will offer it. Their loss.

You don't know what the thread is about? It only changed because of hate-filled others coming in and being "provocative". Like yourself with this "Tampon" statement.

You are very rude, but of course you are on the same bias as Demonhood, so nothing will be done about it. Just like nothing is done about the others in here who wish to derail and have this thread locked.

I made my points, and made them well with an abundance of scholarly evidence.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 12:10 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing, "The Passions Of Christ," coming out on DVD. I used my Pepsi free songs to download the soundtrack of the movie.

I don't mind talking about Jesus, he is a very important part of my life.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I'm looking forward to seeing, "The Passions Of Christ," coming out on DVD. I used my Pepsi free songs to download the soundtrack of the movie.

I don't mind talking about Jesus, he is a very important part of my life.
The soundtrack is incredible as the movie was. I'm happy to have you in this thread.

xenu
Senior User
May 1, 2004, 04:59 PM

So how is you not keeping your opinion about Jesus any different?

Being that this thread is about a movie of his life, it's on topic.

If you don't like people talking about Jesus. Don't go into threads about him.

It's that simple.
The title of the thread is not "jesus lovers only", it's about bringing a movie to tv.

It's that simple.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 05:46 PM

The title of the thread is not "jesus lovers only", it's about bringing a movie to tv.

It's that simple.
Yes, and the movie is about... Jesus.

So sorry if someone mentions the very person the movie is about in the thread.

I mean it only makes sense.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 06:13 PM

Is this thread 100% silly yet?

Forum Links
Forum Rules