Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official �New PowerBook 12� order status

Official �New PowerBook 12� order status (Page 3)
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 07:02 PM

Me Too! First the date change, then the dreaded "Dear Valued Customer".

There is a phone number you can call to change/cancel your order - any reason to think begging for a new bt mouse would work? Just curious, and frustrated.

Well, at least my iPod showed up today. Thats nice.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

tarwal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 07:12 PM

Yea...I just got the email. Weird thing is the order status page still says on or before today.

My 40 gig ipod arrived today, tho...so I guess Apple's not all bad.

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 07:17 PM

Yeah...sorry guys, I went to the nearby Cambridge Side Galleria mall Apple Store and picked up my LONG awaited 12incher. I had an order at my school's campus computer store but the Apple Store got some in just hours before them so there is where I went.

Man, 'tis sweet. I'm upgrading from an original Dual USB iBook, and this thing is even smaller. Not to mention hundreds of dollars cheaper than when I got that iBook (for 1799 w/ Combo Drive).

Looks like today was the day that the retail stores receive their 'books. I feel for you guys though, because I would've ordered from Apple.com/store, had my credit card been accepted there (shipping address != billing address problems).

Hope alls yours come soon.

Draco
Sep 25, 2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by tomodachi:
Yeah...sorry guys, I went to the nearby Cambridge Side Galleria mall Apple Store and picked up my LONG awaited 12incher. I had an order at my school's campus computer store but the Apple Store got some in just hours before them so there is where I went.

Man, 'tis sweet. I'm upgrading from an original Dual USB iBook, and this thing is even smaller. Not to mention hundreds of dollars cheaper than when I got that iBook (for 1799 w/ Combo Drive).

Looks like today was the day that the retail stores receive their 'books. I feel for you guys though, because I would've ordered from Apple.com/store, had my credit card been accepted there (shipping address != billing address problems).

Well at least someone got one. We know they can't be that far off if retail stores have them.

Let us know how it operates, and how warm/hot it runs?

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 08:25 PM

My Uni (Singapore) says that they will be receiving shipments of new 12" and 15" PBs "end of this month or early next month". And I think the retail Apple Stores should receive the new 12" first.

tomodachi, please tell us how is the heat and battery life. Thank you!

schwaz80
Sep 25, 2003, 09:19 PM

sorry for all those not close to an Apple Store... this new 12" be tight

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by schwaz80:
sorry for all those not close to an Apple Store... this new 12" be tight
Care to elaborate?

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by cobra27:
tomodachi, please tell us how is the heat and battery life. Thank you!
Just a preliminary comment: I've been surfing the web via AirPort Extreme and trying out DVDs, and the heat is, for the lack of a better comparison, about the same as the v.1 DualUSB/iBook/500MHz/Combo Drive that this 12incher is replacing. I don't know how that compares to v.1 12in/867MHz as I haven't really fiddled with that.

Battery seemed solid, especially after looking at a 2.5yr old ibook battery nearly becoming useless. Since I've got the battery level at %100 now, I will do a full-on test. The question is, do you guys want a "real life" battery test, where I'm working on stuff on and off until the battery drains? Or do you just want me to start playing a DVD (iTunes, whatever) and see how long that will last?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 11:15 PM

Both real-life, and super-drain, PLEASE!

A friend has an 867, which seems a bit hot, running all day, so if it's as cool as the 500 G3, then wow! I think we have a winner!

Forgot to ask how the screen compares to others?

thanks so very much for clearing up any undelivered-item-preorder-buyers' remorse!

Battery seemed solid, especially after looking at a 2.5yr old ibook battery nearly becoming useless. Since I've got the battery level at %100 now, I will do a full-on test. The question is, do you guys want a "real life" battery test, where I'm working on stuff on and off until the battery drains? Or do you just want me to start playing a DVD (iTunes, whatever) and see how long that will last?

celliott47
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 11:22 PM

Mine shipping date still says on or before 10/1/03- I guess they don't want to tick off everyone at once by the cascading affect moving everyone's shipping date would have. They'll just pick (tick) us off one day at a time.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 11:48 PM

Just a preliminary comment: I've been surfing the web via AirPort Extreme and trying out DVDs, and the heat is, for the lack of a better comparison, about the same as the v.1 DualUSB/iBook/500MHz/Combo Drive that this 12incher is replacing. I don't know how that compares to v.1 12in/867MHz as I haven't really fiddled with that.
Wow!! That is music to my ears indeed! If the new 12" runs as warm as the ibook, then it is good news.

BTW, the old 12" was very warm on the left wrist rest (from HD activity) and when plugged in (charging the battery).

If you can, please try the DVD playing thingy, since that seems to be the "standard" test among macnn forum users here. And do tell us what screen brightness settings you set. BTW, you will need to calibrate the new battery anyway, so draining it (then topping up again) is recommended .

A big thank you for the answer.

popstand
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 11:52 PM

Ordered on the day of the keynote. Ship date supposedly today 9/25, bumped to 10/3 (still skeptical). Angrily cancelled order, decided to upgrade to 15" (patience is not my strong suit). Went to local apple store, what have we here..."We just got a shipment of 12" books in this morning. We weren't even expecting them". Yippeee! I'm writing this to you on a brand new 12" superdrive via my newly installed airport network. For those interested, heat still appears to be an issue, lower left rest. I really don't care but those who are wary should try one in the store. Also for those who ordered the powerbook a month ago and were upgraded, I'm sorry. This powerbook should be yours right now, but Apple is weird (lucky for me).

schwaz80
Sep 26, 2003, 12:14 AM

Mine isn't hot at all... maybe a little warm underneath the left palm area. I didn't have the previous model so I don't know how it compares. I am currently streaming audio and have been for 20min and my battery counter keeps going up. Says I have 1:44 left now but I have already installed Codewarrior 8 and the system has been on for over 30min. So I would say that the battery is pretty good.

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 12:18 AM

just noticed that my ship date that has been back and forth between 9/25 and 10/3 all day has once again been dropped back to 9/25 even though the day is over and i already got the apologetic email.

i hope to god this is where it stays, and that they ship it while i sleep tonight. at the very latest i need this laptop by 10/6 for work, so here's to hoping apple doesn't screw the pooch.

schwaz80
Sep 26, 2003, 12:23 AM

I would recommend checking with your credit card companies to see if the charges were posted yet. If they were then it's a good chance the laptop will be shipped.

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 12:39 AM

Hi guys. Just started the DVD bench 4 minutes ago (12:34 EST). The screen is set to brightest and the EnergySaver is set to "Reduced" during Battery operation. Let's see how it does.

By the way, here are my XBench scores:

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=34486

Not bad, not bad.

Also, do you think ppl will get pissed if I continue this in this thread? It is an "order status" thread....

tomodachi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 02:58 AM

OK, DVD test. The battery meter hit 10% at around 2 hours, reached 0% and went to sleep at 2 hours 20 minutes. All the while playing South Park volume 1 disc 1.

I'm kind of surprised (well, a little) as the right palm rest became acutally hotter than the left. But that's probably because the drive is on that side. I'd stay it's pretty hot, but again, not too hot that I can't keep my hands on it. About as hot as the left palm rest of my iBook gets during heavy load.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 03:08 AM

Can anyone who has used the new 12" rev b, and has seen or used the rev a PB's in the past, confirm whether or not the screen has been changed? Or, to my dismay, does it still use the ibook screens?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 03:46 AM

OK, DVD test. The battery meter hit 10% at around 2 hours, reached 0% and went to sleep at 2 hours 20 minutes. All the while playing South Park volume 1 disc 1.

I'm kind of surprised (well, a little) as the right palm rest became acutally hotter than the left. But that's probably because the drive is on that side. I'd stay it's pretty hot, but again, not too hot that I can't keep my hands on it. About as hot as the left palm rest of my iBook gets during heavy load.
Thank you for providing the information. Yes, I think spinning the DVD for 2+ hours will definitely generate heat. But glad to know that it is still bearable. Seems like the battery life is around the same as that of 15" (see another thread) when playing DVD with screen at brightest. I guess that should mean at least 3.5 hours for everyday usage. I was hoping for about 4 hours though.

Thank you. Now we can start a new 12" "user experience" thread.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 06:07 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Dear Apple Store Customer,

We appreciate your recent purchase on the Apple Online Store.
_

We are writing in regards to the status of the new 12-inch PowerBook
G4 you have on order. We have experienced a slight delay and now anticipate
shipping your order by October 3rd. We would like to apologize for
being unable to honor our original quote. We will strive to reduce the
shipping delay and ship it as soon as possible.

We appreciate your business and apologize in advance for any
inconvenience caused by this delay.

Best regards,
The Apple Store
Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 07:44 AM

Well, my faith is restored in Apple. I awoke to an e-mail confirming my shipping of my Powerbook!!!!!!!!!! And it's not crappy Airborne, they are using FedEx instead. Estimate delivery date of 9/30 before 10:30 AM. It's coming straight from Taiwan, so hopefully there's no customs delays. Also, my freaking iPod is finally in the US and currently in sorting center in OH. So my day is turning out to be good

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by schk:
Well, my faith is restored in Apple. I awoke to an e-mail confirming my shipping of my Powerbook!!!!!!!!!! And it's not crappy Airborne, they are using FedEx instead. Estimate delivery date of 9/30 before 10:30 AM. It's coming straight from Taiwan, so hopefully there's no customs delays. Also, my freaking iPod is finally in the US and currently in sorting center in OH. So my day is turning out to be good
When did you place your order for your powerbook?

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by CJG86:
When did you place your order for your powerbook?
The day of Paris Expo, 9/16 at 8:30 AM EST.

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 08:55 AM

Mine is still showing 9/26/03.

celliott47
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:02 AM

Here's my update. I just woke up to the same e-mail from Apple. Yes, mine is also in Taiwan, it's coming via FedEx, and it's due to arrive on 9/30/03. It is shipping Priority Overnite. I placed my order on Monday, Sept. 22 through the store for Education on-line. So, I'm not sure of what that means for how Apple is prioritizing or arranging their shipping. If it does arrive on 9/30, 8 days wasn't bad considering how long some have waited.

Draco
Sep 26, 2003, 10:00 AM

No fair I ordered the morning of the 16th, and I'm still in the 10/3 boat. bummer

lukefowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 10:01 AM

I called Apple, who told me that my 12" 'book shipped this morning. Ship date was supposed to be 09/25. Order date 09/04. This was an educational institution purchase.

It's supposed to be delivered by 10:30 AM on 09/30 via FedEx.

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Draco:
No fair I ordered the morning of the 16th, and I'm still in the 10/3 boat. bummer
ditto.

man, i'm pissed.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 10:55 AM

Mine was ordered on the 6th(12inch/SD/512)!! Delayed to the 16th, then they upgraded me for free to a new one. Then gave me a 9/25 shipping date. Now i'm in the 10/03 boat.

Annoying since my 15AL that i ordered on the 16th has already shipped and should be here monday or tuesday.

Lou

SoCal_BigFoot
Sep 26, 2003, 11:48 AM

Hi guys. Just started the DVD bench 4 minutes ago (12:34 EST). The screen is set to brightest and the EnergySaver is set to "Reduced" during Battery operation. Let's see how it does.

By the way, here are my XBench scores:

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc1=34486

Not bad, not bad.

Also, do you think ppl will get pissed if I continue this in this thread? It is an "order status" thread....
This is really good. Can you comment on your screen, does it seem to be improved? And yes, please continue...

AdamHadem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 11:49 AM

Same story here!
- Ordered on the 4th, promised on the 16th.
- Upgraded by Apple and delayed to the 25th.
- Now promised to be shipped on the 3rd.
Very annoying since this is a replacement for a stolen PB and I need it for work!

ProcrasT8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 05:59 PM

I finally got my 12" PowerBook today after calling the Apple store in Michigan Ave. and realizing that they had a shipment yesterday, I place a hold on one unit and cancelled my online order (initial order: 9/16, shipping date 9/25, pushed back to 10/3) right away. Sure, the weather wasn't cooperating since it was raining the whole afternoon, but I'm feeling wonderful right now after carting one of the last few 12" PowerBook from the store.

There really is a God after all!

juanm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 06:15 PM

I ordered mine about 10 days before they came out. I got a notice that it wouldn't be shipped for at least 10 days. i said new ones coming out!!!

The new ones came out. A week later a notice that they would ship on or before yesterday. Then i got a notice that they 'anticipate' shipping on 10/6. Then today, the next day, I got a notice that it has shipped.

I checked with fedex and it has been loaded on their plane in Taiwan!!!

I expect it early next week.
Juan

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 06:17 PM

One of you new 12" PB owners should make a new post reviewing the new units besides just teasing us all saying you got the 12" from a retail store

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by AC Rempt:
Overnight on my order, too, due 10/1.

And in related news, my 20 Gig Pod shipped today, as scheduled. I'm taking this as a sign of good things to come.

I just wonder if it's going to come overnight.
UPDATE: My iPod is supposed to be shipped over "nite" I was told by Apple, but the thing is in China. Okay, so over night when it gets to the US? That's not really my definition of over night.

I still blame Airborne because I hate them so.

And yeah, enough with the "I got one at retail." Let's here some reactions!

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 08:17 PM

One of you new 12" PB owners should make a new post reviewing the new units besides just teasing us all saying you got the 12" from a retail store
Agreed!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

schwaz80
Sep 26, 2003, 11:08 PM

Well... I have never had a PowerBook before... so this is my first one... and I absolutely love it. It's pretty quick eventhough I only have 256mb ram (I have 512mb on order). The screen is pretty bright and with good contrast... I would say on the order of 300-350:1. It's absolutely dead silent. I haven't had any heat issues. It gets a little warm when being charged and when you use it plugged in. Also stays a bit warm when streaming music over WiFi when on the batts. My only gripe is that it seems that there is some chassis seperation between the palm area and the base. It's very slight and doesn't seem to affect closing the screen. Other than that, best laptop I have ever owned. If you have any other question, just ask and I will try to answer.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 09:24 AM

For those who had their PB shipped via FedEx. You should double check the status. Mine was shipped yesterday and it's already in the US (Indianapolis to be specific). If it were Airborne, it would still be in Taiwan and take 4 days to get to the US. Moral of the story: FedEx > Airborne, but we already knew that
( Last edited by schk; Sep 27, 2003 at 09:39 AM. )

celliott47
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 11:29 AM

For those who had their PB shipped via FedEx. You should double check the status. Mine was shipped yesterday and it's already in the US (Indianapolis to be specific). If it were Airborne, it would still be in Taiwan and take 4 days to get to the US. Moral of the story: FedEx > Airborne, but we already knew that
Just checked my update- my 12" is sitting in Indianapolis also. Thanks Apple for switching to FedEx- a new switcher ad?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 01:25 PM

Yeah, also Indianapolis...too bad they overshot the West Coast!

Damn bulk carrier paradigm!

...due the 30th. Can't wait. Obviously. Well, actually trying to get to 100 posts...

farman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 07:33 PM

Hey all..

I posted this to another topic but I thought some of you might want to see the setup of my new 12"/SuperDrive/1 Ghz PowerBook and Cinema HD display. This is the best workstation ever

http://homepage.mac.com/farman/PhotoAlbum15.html

-Farman

SoCal_BigFoot
Sep 27, 2003, 07:36 PM

according to powerbookcentral.com, MacZone has them in stock! I guess just few more days and it will be everywhere.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by farman:
Hey all..

I posted this to another topic but I thought some of you might want to see the setup of my new 12"/SuperDrive/1 Ghz PowerBook and Cinema HD display. This is the best workstation ever

-Farman
Nice setup. Do you notice the laptop getting very hot in closed lid mode?

SoCal_BigFoot
Sep 27, 2003, 07:40 PM

Hey all..

-Farman
Wireless keyboard! How do you like it? How do you like your new 12-incher? Is the screen updated? Is graphics powerful enough to drive your display? thanks

farman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 07:45 PM

Nice setup. Do you notice the laptop getting very hot in closed lid mode?
Nope, its actually running warm but not uncomfortable in the least. I ran several large QuickTime movies (~1 hour each) at full screen with the 12" in the drawer, the fan kicked on as expected but when I opened it up at the end I could easily tolerate the warmth of the palmrests.

jojobe99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 08:50 PM

I know this may not be approprate for this fourm, but if you want you want a good price on a 1GHz 12" PB Combo (AND the freebee DeskJet 5150) you can check out my auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=14909&rd=1

At there is one PB on eBay that is not a scam!

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 08:56 PM

Hey all..

-Farman
Wow, really cool there....except for the mouse! Think you'll need a bluetooth mouse soon to complete the setup .

Rinpoche
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 09:07 PM

yeah baby....mine shipped out from elk grove CA today at 4pm! so it should be here by monday, i'm crossing my fingers...new 17!!! (whoops wrong thread)

farman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by SoCal_BigFoot:
Wireless keyboard! How do you like it? How do you like your new 12-incher? Is the screen updated? Is graphics powerful enough to drive your display? thanks
Love the bluetooth keyboard, I'm probably going to get a BT mouse to go with it, but I'm too used to the right click (contextual menu support in OS X is awesome.)

The 12" is GREAT. Screen always looked good to me on the previous one, and the gfx card is more than enough for the 23".

But you do get less done when you've got a huge grin on your face all day

m b b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 10:31 PM

I picked up my 12" yesterday.

I posted these comments in another thread, but it has pretty much fallen off the radar so I'll quote them here:

So, I haven't posted in a long time - but I do have a new 12"

I was waiting for a combo drive model (already have a superdrive on my imac), but my campus store couldn't get them in time for me to get the $200 education rebate on the ipod. I was going to drive 2hrs to get one from an apple store (short hills, nj) but I realized that because of the deal my campus store has on apple care, it was only going to cost me about $50 more to get the super drive model. So I went and picked it up last night.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Heat: I used to have a Ti800, and while the new 12" is warmer than that, it isn't by much. It's not as bad as I imagined it might be given the reports on the old ones. I've been ripping CDs all day, and it isn't uncomfortable.

Battery life: I don't have much experience with this yet - out of the box it got about 2-2.5 hours. I'll know more once I live with it for a while.

Performance: This thing is noticeably faster than either my Ti 800MHz (with 1MB L3) or my iMac G4 800. That's even considering that both of those machines have 512MB RAM and the 12" is still at 256 (I plan on getting some more this week). I haven't really put it through the paces with Photoshop yet, but I've been impressed with everything it's done so far.

I couple other notes:

1) The keyboard is wonderful, much better than the old Ti keyboard - I had heard this beffore, but you really have to try it to believe what a difference it makes.

2) Airport reception is noticeably better

3) Portability - the 1lb weight difference is HUGE - I feel much more comfortable slinging the 12" around.

4) Durability - my biggest gripe with the Ti (which had been my favorite mac EVER, until this one) was that it felt flimsy. The 12" is much more solid

5) The big one - screen size. I was worried about this most of all. The addition of DVI out is what finally made up my mind to move to the 12". I don't really miss the extra screen space on the 15", but I have been living with a 15" iMac (at 1024 x 768) for the last month or so. The only place I really think I'll miss the higher res is when I have to do a little more palette shuffling in photoshop, but I'll know better after I live with it for a while.

I don't have too much time to be posting - but I'll check back a couple times in case there are any questions.
Not many other thoughts since I posted that - I want to emphasize that the heat really hasn't been a problem at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules