Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 ibook G4 or 12" powerbook G4

12 ibook G4 or 12" powerbook G4 (Page 2)
fraeone
Oct 22, 2003, 11:23 PM

Contrary to what some have been posting, the ATI Radeon 9200 is not better than the Nvidia FX 5200 found in the 12" PB. The ATI is a DirectX 8.1 part, and the Nvidia is a DX9 part. While we certainly don't have DirectX on our Macs, that equates to much more hardware capability/speed. Tomshardware did a vs. writeup on these two chipsets and found the Nvidia to be 20-30% faster.

That being said, I'm now completely stimied between the ibook and the powerbook. The saving grace for the PB is the Screen-spanning feature of the PB, but if the ibook hack works on the new chipset, (and on Panther) the ibook will probably be the winner, it's just too big a price difference.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 12:04 AM

Just to add on (again):

Pro for Powerbook:

+ 200 MHz.
+ DVI-out
+ Monitor spanning (need hack for iBook?)
+ Better external monitor resolution (need hack for iBook?)
+ 256 KB more level 2 cache
+ Bluetooth (optional for iBook)
+ slightly lighter weight
+ slightly smaller size
+ 128MB more build-in RAM (non-removable)
+ 10GB more HD
+ better keyboard
+ line in
+ better speakers (enhanced midrange third speaker)

Con for Powerbook:

- $100 more on Applecare
- battery life is shorter

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 12:48 AM

I am reminded of an old song called:
Torn Between Two Lovers.

In this case the 12" iBook G4 or the 12" PB. *SIGH* Life is good! I don't do any video editing, I don't care for external display outputs. My main uses for my Ti PowerBook for the past year has been web surfing, word processing, DVD watching, and listening to music. Yup, very basic. Very simple. I think the iBook MIGHT just fit the bill. For what I use it for, I think the PowerBook is simply a cosmetic upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have one of the new AL PowerBooks, but for what I do, it is simply too much computer for me. Still I'm torn.

I think the "swing votes" for me in favor of getting the new G4 12" iBook would be 3 things:

1. Screen. Is the iBook screen comparable to the PowerBook's, esp. the 15" screen?

2. Keyboard. If the new keyboard is anything like those on the AL PowerBooks, I'm half way there.

3. Outer Casing. Will the new casing be prone to be easily scratched like its predecessors?

Decisions. Decisions.

dantley
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 01:34 AM

I was considering a 12" PB, but with the introduction of the G4 iBook I don't see the value in the 12" PB anymore.

I don't use my laptop as a desktop replacement, so I don't have a need for DVI.

The keyboard on the PB is nicer, but that doesn't justify the price difference. Also, the iBook has a better graphics card than the lame duck nVidia card in the 12" iBook. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple release new 12" PowerBooks with faster video cards.

If you're in the market for a 12" PB, the best decision would be to wait for rev c. For those of you that just purchased a 12" PB... we'll, I'm sure you'll convince yourself that you purchased at the right time.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 01:51 AM

Yup, me too. I was considering the 12" PB (in fact, waiting impatiently with cheque book in hand, for my University to carry it, so that I can save on the Applecare). Now that the G4 iBooks are out, I am not so sure I'll get the PB anymore.

The USD 500 saved could be used for RAM and iPod! Or the Treo 600!

Personally, I think the 12" PB's price will be lowered soon to close the gap. Or a new one introduced in Jan.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2003, 09:28 AM

Well it's the first Mac that is shipping with Panther and Panther restore CDs (At least for next few days). I'm still hoping they tossed in the Panther update CD in my order that shipped yesterday.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheIceMan:
[B]I am reminded of an old song called:
Torn Between Two Lovers.

This is COMPLETELY off the point, but that song came out when I was in college. My roommate (who was in that situation at the time) and I just loved it. I even have it in my itunes collection and hearing it never fails to take me back to 1977.

That said -- I have a 12-in PB and love it. But I'd definitely have to reconsider if I were buying now! I've had mine since February, so I've really gotten a lot of use out of it.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 05:44 PM

bbales: Hehehe. I like that song. I also have it in my iTunes.

Also, for those interested. Here are some more pics of the NEW G4 iBook from a SpyMac member. He said that the KEYBOARD feels more like the 12" PB than the old iBooks!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 06:18 PM

WHOA! NICE BOX for the new iBook! I LIKE!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 06:56 PM

I am so tempted to get this:

12" G4 iBook
� 800MHz PowerPC G4
� 640MB DDR266 SDRAM (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM) [$135 upgrade]
� 60GB Ultra ATA drive [$67 upgrade]
� Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
� AirPort Extreme Card [$89]
� Bluetooth Module [$45]
� AppleCare for iBook [$183], not bad!!
� 12-inch TFT XGA display, 1024 x 768-pixel
� ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory

Subtotal $1,518.00 (Education discount)
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Oct 23, 2003 at 07:03 PM. )

meatyocre
Oct 23, 2003, 09:58 PM

They have made it very difficult to chose, well at least between the 12inchers. I have the 1st gen 12" PB and I really wish I waited a few months, but that seems to be everyones gripe! Plastic or Metal Case?

cantcstr8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 10:35 PM

By the way if you look closely the Bluetooth is not built in on the iBook like it is on the Powerbook.

If you click on the "tech specs header you will see that the bluetooth option has a part number and if you click on it it takes you to the Dlink USB/Bluetooth adapter

You also will see the same thing if you configure the ibook with it and then got to purchase it. On the page where it lists your items, bluetooth is listed as a seperate item.

I'm still seriously considering one to replace my old tangerine

Forum Links
Forum Rules