Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So since AppleInsider predicts new PBG4s on Monday...any speculation on specs?

So since AppleInsider predicts new PBG4s on Monday...any speculation on specs?
bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 02:31 PM

Anyone got any guesses?

Here's the article I'm referencing, btw:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=425

I'm thinking:

backlit keyboard on the 12"
new g4 processors across the board, slowest being 1ghz, fastest being 1.5 or even 1.67 in the 17"
Faster bus
9700 pro mobility graphics
higher screen res (possibly)
faster bus (possibly)
larger capacity hard drives
4x superdrive

any comments?
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

ingeniero
Apr 15, 2004, 03:33 PM

this guy at powerpage is an asshat...I'll believe it when I see it.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 15, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by ingeniero:
this guy at powerpage is an asshat...I'll believe it when I see it.
I won't believe it either until I see it, but why are you mentioning PowerPage?

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 04:23 PM

I won't believe it till I see it, but if I do see it, I'm ordering it.
Mr. CaN

cambro
Senior User
Apr 15, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
new g4 processors across the board, slowest being 1ghz, fastest being 1.5 or even 1.67
I know that processor speed isn't everything, but....

I'm typing this on a 1 Ghz G4 Powerbook that I bought ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO.

If Apple STILL has 1 Ghz G4 processors in their Powerbooks after the next upgrade, then all I can say is D&MN, they have more performance momentum issues than I thought.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by cambro:

If Apple STILL has 1 Ghz G4 processors in their Powerbooks after the next upgrade, then all I can say is D&MN, they have more performance momentum issues than I thought.
If it does go G4, I suspect it will be:

12" PowerBook 1.25 GHz
15" PowerBook 1.42 GHz
17" PowerBook 1.42 GHz

and then:

12" iBook 933 MHz - 1 GHz
14" iBook 1.13 GHz

And yeah, I have a 1 GHz G4 PowerBook from 1.5 years ago too. I think this is one of the better value computing purchases I've made.

BTW, a G4 1.67 GHz makes little sense since there doesn't seem to be any such part, and even if they're were, it'd be very hard to shoehorn it into a PowerBook heat-wise. In fact, the reason I predict a 1.42 GHz PowerBook is because of heat considerations. I have my doubts about the feasibility of a 1.5 GHz G4 in the next PowerBook update, although it is possible.

Ideally though, it really should be a 1.5-1.6 GHz G5 970FX in the next revision, but I suspect it won't happen until late fall.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2004, 05:56 PM

Better video card in the 12" PB.. 64+ MB cards on all modells perhaps?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Riemann Zeta
Apr 15, 2004, 05:59 PM

I doubt Apple will update the PB line without (or before) updating the PowerMac line. I would expect to see new towers in the next month, then new PBs at WWDC.

New PB specs:

12"
1.25 GHz G4 (167 Mhz bus)
bigger HDD options
same gfx card
backlit keyboard

15"
1.33 GHz G4 low end, 1.42 G4 high end
ATi Radeon 9700 Mobility (64 MB)

17"
1.50 GHz G4 (167 MHz * 9x overclock of top-'spec'ing chips)
new cooling system
ATi Radeon 9700 Mobility (64 MB)
God is just a statistic...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 06:03 PM

1.50 GHz G4 (167 MHz * 9x overclock of top-'spec'ing chips)
G4 1.5 GHz is not overclocked. They have them right on the Motorola website.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 07:18 PM

Personally, I'm quite interested in knowing about any differences in ports and slots on the new Mac laptops, for example:[list=1][*]FireWire 800 on an iBook;[*]DVI (OK, OK, mini-DVI!) on an iBook;[*]PC Card Slot (One can dream, can't one?) on an iBook;[*]Revival of Expansion Bays seen in older PowerBooks;[*]Change of design so that PowerBook AirPort range matches that of iBook AirPort range;[*]More aggressive pricing to keep Apple competitive;[*]More built-in RAM;[*]And, like everyone else has been saying, a better video card (ATI preferred);[/list=1]

slider
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 08:44 PM

Yikes.

My sister just bought a 12" powerbook, it shipped on the 8th. Can anyone tell my about Apples price protection? Thanks

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by cambro:

Try three years ago! I do plan on replacing it this year though.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by slider:
Yikes.

My sister just bought a 12" powerbook, it shipped on the 8th. Can anyone tell my about Apples price protection? Thanks
Hey I'm wondering too... I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow(12" PB). Should I keep mine closed until monday?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
Personally, I'm quite interested in knowing about any differences in ports and slots on the new Mac laptops, for example:
NO[*]FireWire 800 on an iBook;
NO[*]DVI (OK, OK, mini-DVI!) on an iBook;
NO[*]PC Card Slot (One can dream, can't one?) on an iBook;
NO[*]Revival of Expansion Bays seen in older PowerBooks;
Not yet[*]Change of design so that PowerBook AirPort range matches that of iBook AirPort range;
Maybe[*]More aggressive pricing to keep Apple competitive;
NO[*]More built-in RAM;
Probably[*]And, like everyone else has been saying, a better video card (ATI preferred);

Originally posted by eatinwokout:
Hey I'm wondering too... I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow(12" PB). Should I keep mine closed until monday?
If you're gonna wait, then wait until Tuesday, or next Tuesday, or the Tuesday after that, or....
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Apr 15, 2004 at 09:35 PM. )

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2004, 11:17 PM

This sounds like yet another audible by Jobs, buying time. The new G5 processors are behind production because IBM has been spending its time wooing Microsoft for the Xbox than building G5s for a customer they already won.

This may be nothing more than a minor speed bump in processors and video cards -- I really doubt any new motherboard designs, even something as simple as adding usb2 to the revB PB17.

Maybe a new cooling system for the high end models -- something for Apple to test to see if it would work without releasing in a G5 PB.

I'm typing on a 1 year old 1 GHz G4 machine -- it works well, as does my 3+ year old 400 MHz G3 Pismo, both running the latest OS.

The G5 PBs will be sweet, but I think the current Apple models are still the best notebooks around, even without an update on Tues.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 12:59 AM

backlit keyboard on the 12"
Yeah right
new g4 processors across the board, slowest being 1ghz, fastest being 1.5 or even 1.67 in the 17"
They're STILL going to be selling 1ghz? This is like the time when ibooks had 66mhz busses while most cheap laptops had a freaking 133.
Faster bus
duh
9700 pro mobility graphics
I'll believe it when I see it... this IS apple
higher screen res (possibly)
If schiller thinks it's the "in thing" he'll do it
faster bus (possibly)
didn't you already say this?
larger capacity hard drives
About time.
4x superdrive
in your dreams

Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2004, 01:01 AM

You're turning into a **** Link. It makes hunting you all the more enjoyable since I am no longer alone in my quest to see you banished.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 01:03 AM

How dare you? You of all people.. One of the least informative people on this site most of the time too.

I'm not being a jerk but trying to bring this place to reality. Apple designing machines that are up to the mainstream and reasonably priced for what they are is nothing but a pipe dream. My apologies if that's the kind of tone you pick up from the above post.
( Last edited by Link; Apr 16, 2004 at 01:12 AM. )
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Link:
How dare you? You of all people.. One of the least informative people on this site most of the time too.

I'm not being a jerk but trying to bring this place to reality. Apple designing machines that are up to the mainstream and reasonably priced for what they are is nothing but a pipe dream. My apologies if that's the kind of tone you pick up from the above post.
I'm one of the least informative people here? Haha! That statement, coming from you? Haha! Have you ever answered a single question? Or even made a relevant post? A post that didn't involve your head-banging icon?

I'm not the one who calls people with Dell notebooks, notebooks that were issued by their employers, lemmings for having them.

Link... you're just a ****. I mean, seriously. You're just a ****. I could tolerate you being a **** if you did anything other than the above. But you don't.

And don't gimme that sh*t about your crusade to bring this place to reality. We don't need you for that. Most of the spec speculations here have been fairly relevant. Especially the R9700 Mobility, which you were so quick to dismiss.

Why would we need somebody who says that a 2.6GHz Revision B Power Mac G5 would be a '****ing lame hardware update' to bring us to reality?

Go hit somebody with a sword or... something.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Link:
You of all people.. One of the least informative people on this site most of the time too.
What?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=209119

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=208983

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=200697

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=202482

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=207674

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=200806

Least informative? How exactly is answering the same question over and over again for all sorts of people unhelpful? I mean, maybe PowerMacMan does this for fun, but really... how much fun is it to paraphrase your knowledge of processor upgrades over and over again? Seriously, you're grasping at straws if the best you can come up with is "least informative." That's like saying Eug Wanker is "slow to post tech news."

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I'm one of the least informative people here? Haha! That statement, coming from you? Haha! Have you ever answered a single question? Or even made a relevant post? A post that didn't involve your head-banging icon?

I'm not the one who calls people with Dell notebooks, notebooks that were issued by one's employer, lemmings for having them.

Link... you're just a ****. I mean, seriously. You're just a ****. I could tolerate you being a **** if you did anything other than the above. But you don't.

And don't gimme that sh*t about your crusade to bring this place to reality. We don't need you for that. Most of the spec speculations here have been fairly relevant. Especially the R9700 Mobility, which you were so quick to dismiss.

Why would we need somebody who says that a 2.6GHz Revision B Power Mac G5 would be a '****ing lame hardware update'?

Go hit somebody with a sword or... something.
I'd like to see how many of your posts are ones insulting me in some way or another, I'm sure it's at least 40% of your freaking post count.. The comments you keep on adding and adding, especially those that DOWNRIGHT INSULT my interests, are so derogatory I won't even waste my time responding to them.

Now to put this back on the track..

The R9700 mobility, at least from what I've seen, has simply made it into desktop replacement portables, making it LIKELY to happen in the 17" powerbook, and depending on the cooling system, perhaps even plausible for the 15".

As we ALL know it, the development on the 970 chip, while great, was definately overestimated. Here we sit about 9 months from the date it was announced into the first mac, and there hasn't been ANY speed updates. 9 months is three quarters, an unfortunate thing but luckily not devastating.

This probably DOES mean ~1.5ghz processors in the powerbooks, but I will be a bit dissapointed if you'll still be able to pick up a powerbook with a 1ghz chip, which was originally announced about ohhh a year and a half.. or was it 2 years ago. One big problem with the g4, though is that it's bus speed is just.. well.. yeah.

I do stick by my comment with the high res screens though, if someone at Apple feels like encroaching the screen res of the godly cinema displays, they might very well put that type of screen in the powerbooks, but unless there are display updates it MIGHT just be unlikely, who knows.

A backlit keyboard in the 12" powerbook is not just wishful thinking, but would take a good squeeze. I do know that having that standard across the powerbook line though, would make an awesome little extra (sorta like luxury cars and leather seats and whatnot)..

The one thing I hope is adressed soon is the durability aspect of the powerbooks. Thin and beautiful yes, though not as thin as the previous generation (well 15", at least)..

However they do lack durability. Because of this, it seems like there's been a whooping one complaint about the video chip coming loose.. Sure enough to just dismiss but it raises the question mark.. how strong is an albook?

Not to mention the white spots, warping metal, well yeah there's just a lot to keep on their minds. A slightly delayed update would be alright if all was resolved.

*looks at above post* Yes, stuff like this is good..

Your Digital Audio has a 7400 series G4 processor in it. That processor was essentially the first G4 chip. It had two AltiVec units and two Integer Units. The upgrades are based off of the 7450 series design, which has four AltiVec units and four Integer Units, twice as many of each as your current G4. Because of that difference, many people call the 7450 derived G4s the G4e or the G4+.
He does take on a really nasty little tone when on his vandetta, however.
Aloha

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2004, 01:30 AM

Naw, you have yet to make me get nasty. I don't take you seriously enough to actually get angry over anything you say. Don't take my calling you a 'c0ck' as me being nasty with you. Though, if you would like to see me get nasty with you, keep making uninformed posts that beg a retaliatory response in one way or another from me or another member.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 01:32 AM

Hahaha. Very nice. And I'm a big fan of the character in Smash Bros. Yeeaahh, Link just had his handed to him.

BUT, on the topic, I would love to see a 64mb graphics card in the 12". Maybe a little bigger HD, and a 1.25GHz G4. I'd be on the list for that one.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 01:35 AM

Uh PMM, I'll do what I can for ya.

Frumpy: I'd love to see a radeon 9600 (64mb!), backlit keyboard, and a 1280x1024 screen (no sarcasm here)..

That would be my dream 12" powerbook. Makes it worth the extra size/weight
Aloha

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 01:40 AM

Uh. 1280x1024 would result in a nearly-square screen, because it uses a 5:4 aspect ratio. Why would you want to make the 12" PowerBook change shape? Besides, the 15" PowerBook uses 1280x864 resolution... the 12" should have no more vertical pixels.

Actually, WTF! Why would you want more than 1024x768 on a tiny screen? Until Apple develops a resolution independent OS, I say stick with their current policy of doing about 100 pixels per inch. Only thing I'd recommend would be 1152x854 on the 14" iBook, in keeping with the 100 pixels per inch thing. Actually, even then, I'd still say stick with 1024x768 because the 14" iBook is aimed at people with poor vision who need FEWER pixels per inch.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

bimmerphile  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 01:49 AM

wtf happened to my thread

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2004, 01:54 AM

>FWEEEEEEEET< (whistle)

Alright.

Out of the pool, everyone.

If you can't play without splashing in people's faces, then there'll be no pool to play in.

Back in the pool.

Discuss rationally, calmly, without the name-calling and rudeness.

Don't make come in there and lock the thread.

--kindly,

vmarks.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 01:55 AM

Well...it would seem we have a personal vendetta against "Link", and the 12" is the most imporant PowerBook to upgrade (personal opinion). But, still a good thread.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

NY152
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 06:42 AM

Looking past this update when do you think Apple will be bringing out a G5 PowerBook? January 2005 is my guess.
<over-large signature edited by management>

bsodmike
Apr 16, 2004, 06:43 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH This thread is ace! I opened it up to check out the truth behind this but oh noooo!! What am I greeted with? COMIC GENIUS:

Go hit somebody on the head with a sword..or something
note: I typed it out as I forgot to copy it

HHAAHAH classic

On topic: Got a 15" Alu pbook here with all the enchiladas what not and a 3 year applecare plan. 1.25Ghz is nice and I don't see my self upgrading for the next 2+ years (I hope!). I would prefer if Apple took a step back and decided to 'clean up' their act. What I'm refering to is design errors (iPod-mini), releasing products too soon (pbook whitepatches on lcd etc etc). Right now my pbook needs to have the lid slightly (ohh very gently) slammed to get the latch to catch. On the upside this means a nice tight seal compared to my older pbook (same model - it died was replaced by Apple for a new one) had a 1-2mm gap between the lid and casing.

I also look forward to the day that Apple starts to handle support via eMail. Come on, is Jobes really working for Mr. Bell...sniff the silicon man - eMail is so much easier than some 1-800 number where your given a level 0 tech n00b who will ask you 'sir, is your machine 'plugged in'' ...yup just peachy!

Just my 0.02....

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 07:55 AM

Here is some predictions from http://croquer.free.fr/ :

Ligne portable grand public
M9418LL/A iBook 14, Combo, 1.25 Ghz
M9419LL/A iBook 14, Superdrive, 1.33Ghz
M9426LL/A iBook 12, 1 Ghz

Ligne portable Pro
M9183LL/A Powerbook 12 Combo 1.33 Ghz
M9184LL/A Powerbook 12 Superdrive 1.33 Ghz
M9421LL/A Powerbook 15 Combo 1.42 Ghz
M9422LL/A Powerbook 15 Superdrive 1.42 Ghz
M9462LL/A Powerbook 17, 1.5 Ghz

don't know about the reliability of this rumor site though..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

JimKane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2004, 07:56 AM

As I could wait no longer, I ordered a new 12" Powerbook yesterday. Current lag time in shipping one of these babies is 11 days with a simple harddrive upgrade. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long since I need to prep it for it's final role before the first of the month. Although I should have two days if it does ship when expected.

Given my current luck with purchase timing, I'd expect the new Powerbooks to be announced on the 4th.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2004, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
If it does go G4, I suspect it will be:

12" PowerBook 1.25 GHz
15" PowerBook 1.42 GHz
17" PowerBook 1.42 GHz

and then:

14" iBook 1.13 GHz

And yeah, I have a 1 GHz G4 PowerBook from 1.5 years ago too. I think this is one of the better value computing purchases I've made.

BTW, a G4 1.67 GHz makes little sense since there doesn't seem to be any such part, and even if they're were, it'd be very hard to shoehorn it into a PowerBook heat-wise. In fact, the reason I predict a 1.42 GHz PowerBook is because of heat considerations. I have my doubts about the feasibility of a 1.5 GHz G4 in the next PowerBook update, although it is possible.

Ideally though, it really should be a 1.5-1.6 GHz G5 970FX in the next revision, but I suspect it won't happen until late fall.
OK, back on topic:

I just checked the Motorola website. There is a new 1.5 GHz MPC7447A part that is lower voltage than the old one. Thus, my revised prediction is:

12" PowerBook 1.25 GHz
15" PowerBook 1.42 GHz
17" PowerBook 1.50 GHz

and then:

14" iBook 1.13 GHz

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 09:30 AM

If I worked for Apple, I might suggest that they make a 17" PowerBook G5 first (to encourage people to buy the top-end laptop) and follow up later with 15" G5s -- they would move a lot of 17-inchers that way!

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 09:41 AM

Hey all,

Well, with regards to a G5 update, Apple has NEVER said new G5 powerbooks are going to come out soon. Here are some quotes from various Apple sources in the media:

November 3, 2003 - 17:00 EST__ Dave Russell, director of product marketing for portables and wireless at Apple, recently discussed the possibility of a PowerBook G5 with ComputerWorld: "We certainly want to do that," he said. "But it's going to be a while. We think the G4 has a very long life in the PowerBook." He echoed that the main hurdle in getting a G5 processor into a laptop is the need to keep the processor cool.

I found that comment with a quick search at these sites:

http://www.macminute.com/2003/11/03/powerbookg5

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=2691

Also, Steve Jobs is on record as saying:

Afterwards [Jobs] admitted that the decisive revolution will be the introduction in laptops of the new 64 bit chip, the G5, that the company has developed along with IBM, with an investment of 3 billion dollars. 'We are working on it and what we'd like is to have it by the end of next year', he said.

Translation by microrario and VladDracul.

A caveat: An offhand interview comment by Jobs should not necessarily be taken as a product release timeframe.

...I got that by searching the MacRumors forums.

The fact that the original G5 towers took months to ship, the fact that xserves, released 6 months after the G5 announcement but STILL at the same 2.0 processor speed, are 4 months late in shipping, the fact that Apple said in their quarterly meeting that IBM is having processor issues, etc should be a warning sign.

So, in my view, IBM can't get the chips out well right now, Apple has told their shareholders that. 5 months ago Dave Russell said in an interview that the G4 would be in the PB for "a very long life", and Steve Jobs said "We are working on it and what we'd like is to have it by the end of next year."

NONE of those things point to an imminent release of a G5 powerbook. With Apple's history, I would say MWSF in January 2005.

I like the above stats for the new PB's, and they sound about right, I would be happy with (all standard, no BTO in the below guess):

15" PB
1.42GHZ processor
512MB ram on ONE so-dimm
ATI 9700 GPU
80GB 5400rpm Hard drive
Faster superdrive

Cheers,

James

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by selowitch:
If I worked for Apple, I might suggest that they make a 17" PowerBook G5 first (to encourage people to buy the top-end laptop) and follow up later with 15" G5s -- they would move a lot of 17-inchers that way!
I guess it's good you don't work for Apple then.

Selling a G5 17" would destroy 15" sales, if the 15" didn't go G5 as well. And not everyone wants a 17", G5 or not. (I know I don't.) Net result? Overall PowerBook sales decrease, even if 17" sales increase.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2004, 10:08 AM

has anyone seen these comments about the fact that 1.42GHz G4s are just overclocked 1GHZ or 1.33GHz (cant remember which) and due to the fact there overclocked there a little unstable. i read a thread about one guy who had a dual 1.42 and it was more unstable than his 1GHz G4 by quite a lot.

Just thought id bring it up

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by dodo_nutter:
has anyone seen these comments about the fact that 1.42GHz G4s are just overclocked 1GHZ or 1.33GHz (cant remember which) and due to the fact there overclocked there a little unstable. i read a thread about one guy who had a dual 1.42 and it was more unstable than his 1GHz G4 by quite a lot.

Just thought id bring it up
Apple does not sell overclocked chips. Motorola has documentation right on their website for the MPC7455 at 1.42 GHz, which is what is used in the dual 1.42 GHz Power Macs.

Furthermore, these are not the same chips.

The CPUs we're talking about for PowerBooks are a completely different generation chip, called the MPC7447A. The 7447A is actually faster clock-for-clock because it has twice the L2 cache of the 7455, but the 7447A does not support L3 cache.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2004, 11:16 AM

OK, back on topic:

I just checked the Motorola website. There is a new 1.5 GHz MPC7447A part that is lower voltage than the old one. Thus, my revised prediction is:

12" PowerBook 1.25 GHz
15" PowerBook 1.42 GHz
17" PowerBook 1.50 GHz

and then:

14" iBook 1.13 GHz
i really hope this is wrong, seriously a 250 MHz jump on the 12" powerbook and a 170 MHz jump on the 17" in HOW MANY MONTHS? unbelieveable. the fact that the 12" ibook shipped with only an 800MHz chip is also crap.

screen resolution on the 15 and 17 is laughable at this point, with no option for high-res screens. there should be an option at the very least.

i don't know enough about graphics cards, but i do know we don't have access to the best ones out for PCs.

hard drive specs in the PB lines are retarded, the fact that Pbooks ship with 4200 rpm drives, and 7200 rpm drives aren't an option is pathetic. seriously, this is unacceptable.

all in all, we've been waiting (i have anyway, and i will be buying whatever comes out, 15 prolly) a long time for powerbook updates and i'm not getting my hopes up for anything. apple has always done one thing: amaze me by not paying attention to the BASIC needs of its users.

3 examples:
pbook screen res
pbook hard drive options
1 bay/slot in a G5 tower, that is larger than previous apple towers.

[/ends pissy mood]

hope monday is the day, have three computers i'm going to sell to finance my new 'book.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2004, 11:18 AM

Thanks for clearing that one up for me!! feel better about the 1.42 chips now. All i can say is whatever comes out on monday (im assuming PBs WILL be updated) im buying. G5s seem to be too far away and the rumors dont help, i want my PB now!!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2004, 11:36 AM

i really hope this is wrong, seriously a 250 MHz jump on the 12" powerbook and a 170 MHz jump on the 17" in HOW MANY MONTHS? unbelieveable. the fact that the 12" ibook shipped with only an 800MHz chip is also crap.
A 13% speedup on the 17" isn't all that great, but reasonable for a low power part. OTOH, a 25% speedup for the 12" is quite nice.
screen resolution on the 15 and 17 is laughable at this point, with no option for high-res screens. there should be an option at the very least.
I hope they don't touch the screen resolutions. The current resolutions for the 15" and 17" are damn near perfect for OS X. I suppose they could offer different resolutions, but that would simply serve to confuse the market IMO.
hard drive specs in the PB lines are retarded, the fact that Pbooks ship with 4200 rpm drives, and 7200 rpm drives aren't an option is pathetic. seriously, this is unacceptable.
I would also like the option of a 7200 rpm laptop drive in the 15" and 17". There is a power disadvantage for 7200 rpm drives, but IMO it's not too bad and is justifiable. The only problem is the drive sizes. I'm not sure if there is actually an 80 GB 7200 rpm 2.5 GB drive available. The biggest is 60 GB. Thus, I suspect Apple may spec 4200 or 5400 rpm drives up to 80 GB.

IceColdSoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2004, 11:59 AM

here are some specs...

http://croquer.free.fr/
1.25Ghz PowerBook
1.25GB of RAM
80GB 5400RPM
200GB FW800
30GB iPod
etc....

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2004, 12:02 PM

Would you rather have a nice, fast, slightly smaller drive (60GB @ 7200RPM) or a slow, lumbering large(r) capacity drive (80GB @ 4200 or 5400rpm)?

personally i would chose the fast 60Gig drive as i dont need all that much space and a faster drive really boosts the performance of your laptop.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by IceColdSoup:
here are some specs...

http://croquer.free.fr/
I don't read their page much, but their reports seem almost like a French version of MacOSRumors. ie. unreliable.

P.S. Bienvenue a MacNN.

bimmerphile  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 12:52 PM

I don't read their page much, but their reports seem almost like a French version of MacOSRumors. ie. unreliable.

P.S. Bienvenue a MacNN.

yeah, quite unreliable.

Bienvenue :-)

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 01:06 PM

It would be nice to see a speed bump in the 12in that I just frickin ordered, which has even yet to ship. The Powerbook sales have lagged behind this last year, and even more so in recent months. Hopefully an update will spur a surge in Powerbook sales. I personally can see a slight graphcs acd update on the 12in and a 1.25 G4 on it. I doubt that there will be a backlit keyboard or a higher res screen. At best, we may see some faster RAM.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by bsodmike:
HAHAHAHAHAH This thread is ace! I opened it up to check out the truth behind this but oh noooo!! What am I greeted with? COMIC GENIUS:
Yeah, I guess that's the way to get high post counts...

Too bad I don't have time for those games...

-t

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by dodo_nutter:
Would you rather have a nice, fast, slightly smaller drive (60GB @ 7200RPM) or a slow, lumbering large(r) capacity drive (80GB @ 4200 or 5400rpm)?

personally i would chose the fast 60Gig drive as i dont need all that much space and a faster drive really boosts the performance of your laptop.
the difference in laptop speeds from 5400 to 7200 is significant, especially in the "LITTLE" things, like opening folders, sifting through them, launching applications, boot time, file transfer and copying.

I think heat and battery concerns are null and void. is a 7200 rpm drive really that much hotter? and battery life? when has apple been honest about that? 10-15 minutes less per charge would be fine with me, if it meant my apps launched in 0.5 bounces, instead of 2.5.

Eug, Seriously only having 1-1.5 windows open and doing work on them on a $2000 15" laptop is not cool. In fact OSX is more suiting to higher resolution than lower e.g. large 128x128 scalable icons, more widgets, more window options, more applications with obscene ammounts of menus, windows, tiles, etc. Almost all applications can be zoomed to account for a higher dpi if eyesight is a problem. more pixels = less pixelation in terms of photo viewing, blah blah blah, i'm a boring whiney bastard�

K107
Apr 16, 2004, 05:27 PM

How many AL PB G4 updates have there been? It came out sept 2003 right. If this update comes out this will be number what? Can someone name the different updates speeds of each model. Maybe we can guess this next update speed.

I maybe new but a PB G5 coming out only 7 months after the G4 came out get real people. WAKE UP AND SHUT UP ABOUT THE G5
( Last edited by K107; Apr 16, 2004 at 05:49 PM. )

IceColdSoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2004, 05:38 PM

"P.S. Bienvenue a MacNN. "

thanks, i am a long time spymacer...its weird being new to a site...
1.25Ghz PowerBook
1.25GB of RAM
80GB 5400RPM
200GB FW800
30GB iPod
etc....

Forum Links
Forum Rules