Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to the gym. Need advice on workout routine.

Going to the gym. Need advice on workout routine.
Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 06:15 PM

I really need to go to the gym. Age is catching up to me and parts of my body are beginning to succumb to gravity. Normally, I get my exercise from walking, playing tennis, hiking, and frisbee. That's it. I'm not overweight, but I'm not toned or muscular, either.

So, to the gym I go. I'm going to start off modestly at first, 2-3/week (45-75 minutes per session). I want to work on my arms, shoulders, chest and lats, hamstrings, and I want to improve my cardio.

Problem is, I have almost no gym experience. So, what would you all recommend for an exercise routine to meet the above goals? For example, should I use the stationary bike for cardio? And for how long? 20 minutes?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2006, 06:21 PM

Start lifting beers.

-t

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 06:34 PM

A stationary bike for cardio is just fine but you have to make sure you won't get bored, so switch to something else if that happens.

For the strength training (chest, arms, shoulders etc) a lot people start with the machine weights until they are ready for free weights. The advantage of machine weights is that its easier to maintain the correct form. A diagram on exactly how to use them is generally printed on the side.

You may want to move on to free weights after awhile. The flat bench press is a great chest exercise, along with the incline and decline bench press. Skull crushers (ask the staff what those are) are great for tricepts and I like to use dumb bells for bicepts.

There's no way someone can adequately help you on these forums though. I suggest you go to the bookstore and get a book on strength training that has plenty of pics to show what the correct form is.

Better yet, hire a personal trainer from the gym to help you out until you get it all down.

Rumor
Oct 25, 2006, 06:51 PM

For cardio, I recommended a treadmill behind the nicest ass you can find. It helps motivate.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2006, 07:10 PM

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 08:09 PM

we don't have time to stop for gas

macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 10:15 PM

12 oz. curls are fun, not so good for your gut though.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:17 AM

If your gym has a swimming pool, swimming is an excellent cardio workout, that works almost all the major muscle groups, with very minimal stress to your joints.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
The advantage of machine weights is that its easier to maintain the correct form.
I would have to disagree with starting with machines. Using them means that all of the muscles that are used to stabilize the weight will not be utilized which means:
  • Less development. Using fewer muscles will yield fewer visible results.
  • More unsafe later on. When switching to free weights after using only machines means that the stabilizer muscles that aren't being worked may not have the strength to control the weight necessary to get results.
  • Less testosterone. Machines (as well as free weight isolation exercises) don't recruit enough muscle groups to cause the body to release nearly the amount of testerone as general free weight exercises do. Less testosterone equals less results.

In my opinion the only real advantages to machines are that some of them allow you to do exercises that you can't do with free weights and you don't need a spotter.

I would start with free weights and use the machines only for certain movements.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
I'm going to start off modestly at first, 2-3/week (45-75 minutes per session). I want to work on my arms, shoulders, chest and lats, hamstrings, and I want to improve my cardio.
This is exactly what I'm doing right now.

I usually start my work-out routine warming up on the treadmill or stepper for about 15-30 minutes. The rest is pretty much all machines (I hate free-weights). Curls, bench-press, butterfly etc. followed up by crunches and sit-ups (always in 3 sets @ 15 repetitions). I usually finish off on the treadmill for another 30 minutes or so.

People have been telling me that "spinning" (stationary-bike exercise) is great for cardio, but I don't care too much for bikes. I still have to bring myself to do TAEBO…

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 05:01 AM

Check Testosterone Nation.

No matter what kinda workout schedule you'll choose here are some tips in general:

Free weights. Prevents injury and will build real world strenght. Machines won't target your stabilizers.
Focus on the four big movements: squat, deadlift, a pushing movement(dumbell bench press, dips etc) and a pulling movement(rows, chins etc). Everything else is extra. Check the site Doofy posted to see examples and how to perform them.
• Eat protein. No protein, no muscle.
• Sleep.

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 26, 2006, 11:47 AM

squats, deadlifts, and milk.

faragbre967
Senior User
Oct 26, 2006, 01:55 PM

That Navy SEALs workout is so crazy. I've been competitively swimming almost my whole life and there's no way I could do some of those swimming tests. And run 4 miles in 30 minutes? Hand me the oxygen just thinking about it.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2006, 04:49 PM

Well, if you like cycling, a spin class will definitely do the cardio part, and if you turn the resistance up, it will also do a lot for quads, calves and hamstrings. I also recommend a -few- sessions with a personal trainer to design the program. Then check in with the trainer six months later to monitor progress and have the program adjusted.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 04:52 PM

Take some group fitness classes. They're fun. Also, if you're
single there's a fairly high female to male ratio although most
people are there to work out I've seen relationships developing
in some of my classes I take!

I do spinning 3-4x a week and with my regular outside riding I've
got about 1600 miles in my legs so far this year.

Also, I go 2-3x a week for using the treadmill, elliptical machine,
free weights, rowing machine.

You need to mix it up because your body gets used to the type of
exercise you do and gets more efficient at dealing with it.

I calculated it and I've lost 1-3 pounds over the last 35 weeks or
so and am doing pretty well, reasonably fit for a change.

You might also talk to a personal trainer at your club about your
specific goals for what you want to achieve and they can help you.

Good luck!

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 05:26 PM

Here's another stupid gym newbie question. What's the proper etiquette regarding cleaning gym equipment? Should I spritz the machines with Windex before and/or after use? I ask this because I noticed a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towel at the gym.

And besides my iPod and a water bottle, what else should I bring?

kernokerno
Oct 26, 2006, 06:03 PM

Here's another stupid gym newbie question. What's the proper etiquette regarding cleaning gym equipment? Should I spritz the machines with Windex before and/or after use? I ask this because I noticed a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towel at the gym.

And besides my iPod and a water bottle, what else should I bring?
a towel and deodorant

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 04:55 AM

Here's another stupid gym newbie question. What's the proper etiquette regarding cleaning gym equipment? Should I spritz the machines with Windex before and/or after use?
LOL. Cleaning the machines before you use them is going to get you a few weird looks (I suppose).

I always put the "Windex" on the paper towel (not directly on the machines), and then give the areas I came in contact with a cursory "cleaning". Just a "hygiene" thing, I reckon.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
For cardio, I recommended a treadmill behind the nicest ass you can find. It helps motivate.

Oh, you nailed that one.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 02:20 PM

When I needed to lose weight the elliptical was great. As well you might try subscribing to Men's Health, they tend to have a few good examples of good types of work outs each issue. So you can mix and match and the pictures help you see exactly what you should be doing.
Machines can help you build some strength but I swear by free weights.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Machines can help you build some strength but I swear by free weights.
Spoken like a real man

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 04:44 PM

Also if you're trying to make yourself toned make sure you have tons of cardio. I envy the build of guys that can run. I'm trying to get my cardio abilities up. I can roller blade and go on the elliptical till the cows come home, but running I'm still crappy on. I ran for three and a half minutes at 6 miles per hour on a treadmill the other day and was very happy with myself. I can walk for an hour at 4 miles no problem, but once you jack it to five or beyond my stamina goes through the floor. Though 7, 8 and 9 miles all feel the same to me because my stride is so long.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 05:12 PM

Salty: I hate running too. The way I started was starting small and moving it up in very small intervals. For instance, 1 week I'd run for 15 minutes at 4.5 and then finish off 5 min at 4.0. Then next week I'd run for 15 minutes at 4.8 and remaining 5 at 4.4. I'd move it up a little every week and eventually running 30 minutes at 5-6mph is a piece of cake.

I still hate it though. BUT at least with running, you can keep a low BF without having to fret over every calorie.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Salty: I hate running too. The way I started was starting small and moving it up in very small intervals. For instance, 1 week I'd run for 15 minutes at 4.5 and then finish off 5 min at 4.0. Then next week I'd run for 15 minutes at 4.8 and remaining 5 at 4.4. I'd move it up a little every week and eventually running 30 minutes at 5-6mph is a piece of cake.

I still hate it though. BUT at least with running, you can keep a low BF without having to fret over every calorie.
Yah I'm slowly moving it up. Before running for even a full minute was tough. The problem is trying to keep a steady pace. Like I use music so it's tough especially between songs to not drop the speed back down.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
The problem is trying to keep a steady pace. Like I use music so it's tough especially between songs to not drop the speed back down.
Not on a treadmill?

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 10:25 PM

gyms are useless.

Go buy a bike and run outside
use your own body weight for weight training

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 07:25 AM

God I hate running to no end. Swimming is a great way to have a full body workout. I've been going to the YMCA for a few months now and its a good way to relax. (No one really has a chance to bother you or talk to you while swimming. Something I like when working out.)

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by GlobalNomad View Post
gyms are useless.

Go buy a bike and run outside
use your own body weight for weight training
Maybe that works year-round in Brisbane, but it won't cut it in Canada during the winter.

David Thompson
Oct 29, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson View Post
You might also talk to a personal trainer at your club about your
specific goals for what you want to achieve and they can help you.
I second this. A trainer can evaluate your fitness and make sure that the program you adopt is right for you and that you perform it properly so that you achieve the maximum benefit for your effort. (Doing things improperly can be ineffective or cause you injury.) Make sure that the trainer is CERTIFIED so that you can be somewhat certain that they know what they're doing. The trainer I had cost me $50/hr but was well worth it.
PM/DP2.0/2.5G; PB15/1.33/768MB

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 11:54 PM

Maybe that works year-round in Brisbane, but it won't cut it in Canada during the winter.
Valid point.
This year at uni I haven't worn long pants once, shorts and thongs all year round, life is good.

But yeah:
I find that a lot of people who go to gyms build muscle very quickly and have a lot of extra muscle mass but are not very strong and don't have any cardio.

I'd personally recommend going to a very traditional taekwondo (TKD) dojo (or other martial arts... just make sure they aren't one of those ones were you stand in front of a mirror and shadow box/kick).

One of my uni friends did that for ~ 5 years. The dojo he went to didn't even recognize sport TKD. They make you do push ups on your knuckles and all that crazy stuff.
Yeah that guy is the strongest / fittest guy I know.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post

Better yet, hire a personal trainer from the gym to help you out until you get it all down.
I spent a small fortune on a personal trainer that managed to contradict everything my doctor was telling me to do ... failed to motivate me ... and gave me bull$hit exercises that I could have gotten out of any "workout of the week" mag. All fad stuff ... no real substance.

When I finally ditched him and started working on my own two things happened:

1) I made alot more progress in the subsequent months then I did with the personal trainer.

2) I saved a lot of money.

I would NEVER recommend a personal trainer.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules