Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB: Airport Extreme card

WTB: Airport Extreme card
jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 09:46 AM

I currently have an Airport card in my PowerBook, but I'd like to upgrade to Airport Extreme (already have the base station).

Anyone selling?

Or, I could trade my Airport card plus cash for your Airport Extreme card.

Thanks,
Jason

bryanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2004, 04:32 PM

if your PowerBook uses regular Airport, it won't be able to accept an "extreme" card. They're physically different and interface differently, too.

Also, getting an "extreme" card will not allow you to surf any faster. it only speeds up the transfer of files between your PowerBook and other computers on the same network. Think of it as 10bT ethernet (Airport) vs. 100bT ethernet (Extreme).

jerseyfreeze  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2004, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by bryanus:
if your PowerBook uses regular Airport, it won't be able to accept an "extreme" card. They're physically different and interface differently, too.

Also, getting an "extreme" card will not allow you to surf any faster. it only speeds up the transfer of files between your PowerBook and other computers on the same network. Think of it as 10bT ethernet (Airport) vs. 100bT ethernet (Extreme).
Really? I can't upgrade? I had just assumed that the two were identical in size and compatibility.

Oh well - thanks.

-Jason

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by jerseyfreeze:
Really? I can't upgrade? I had just assumed that the two were identical in size and compatibility.

Oh well - thanks.

-Jason
Nope, only the newer Macs have AE, also if you have a mixed network, then the AEB downgrades to the lowest common denominator so your not gaining anything. I hear that AE is great for networks but if your just surfing the net the B version is more then enough and is not a bottle next.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules