Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > High bandwidth, slow speed

High bandwidth, slow speed
ibook_steve
May 9, 2016, 06:17 PM

I have a very strange problem. I have Comcast (yuck), but I do normally get good speed. I have Blast Plus and Speed Test regularly shows between 50 to 90 Mbps. Starting late last week, I noticed that everything Internet related on all devices in my house was slow: loading web pages, Facebook app, streaming to phone, tablet, AppleTV, Roku, everything. The weird thing is I did a speed test and I still saw the same high speeds.

I've tried power cycling my cable modem, Apple Airport Extreme (802.11ac), and individual devices. No improvement. I haven't called Comcast yet, but through Twitter, they did send a test signal and found no issues with my connection either.

The only thing I can think of is an issue with Comcast's DNS servers, so I've tried switching to Google's. I have to see tonight if that makes an improvement. Anything else I've missed that I should test? In case anybody is in the area, I'm in San Jose, CA, so I wonder if others might be having the same or similar problem.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2016, 06:43 PM

It appears other people are affected. The outage blob affects San Mateo, San Jose, SF, and some nearby areas.

ibook_steve  (op)
May 10, 2016, 04:13 PM

I tried some hardwired testing and tried some local wifi testing with iperf. I think there's something wrong with the AE AC's wifi. In a local iperf test with nothing else connected to the router other than a wired server (2013 rMBP) and wireless client (iPhone 6s), I'm seeing only a max of 90 Mbps which seems slow for 802.11n (max 300 Mbps). I have an older AE N router that I'm using right now as a backup and will try the same test on.

Steve

ibook_steve  (op)
May 11, 2016, 02:26 PM

Very weird: if I hard or factory reset the base station, my LAN speeds jump back up to where they should be, between 300 and 400 Mbps. However, as soon as I make any change in Airport Utility that requires updating the settings, after the base station restarts, the speed is back down slow again. At first I thought it was something in the saved configuration file I was using, but any update to the router kills the speed. I'm off to the Apple store tonight, though since I bought this in January 2015, I may be stuck with a $200 brick.

Steve

ibook_steve  (op)
May 12, 2016, 01:53 PM

Well, at first Apple offered me a new base station for $169! After a little talk with his manager, though, I got a free replacement. Way to go Apple!

It's working great, but the weird thing is I did the same iPerf test before hooking the new base station into my network. And what do you know: I was getting the slow LAN speeds again! So weird since I don't see any of the slowness issues I had with the old one.

I have no explanation.

Steve

reader50
Administrator
May 12, 2016, 06:48 PM

Perhaps it's trying to go ipv6, forcing everything to tunnel between protocols. The old base station probably factory reset to all-ipv4, then perhaps config updates include a preference for ipv6. I don't know how you'd test for this though.

That's all I'm coming up with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules