Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Think Secret Headline: Coming Soon: "Puma" Nears Gold Master, "Jaguar" Up Next

Think Secret Headline: Coming Soon: "Puma" Nears Gold Master, "Jaguar" Up Next
murk
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2001, 10:17 AM

That's the blurb for an upcoming article. Any of you bug report watchers have an idea of the most recent build numbers?

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: murk ]

PowerBookDude
Aug 28, 2001, 11:05 AM

I saw that posted at thier web site this morning and I almost jumped through the roof because I was so happy.

I can't wait til it's posted!!!

comgil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 11:23 AM

I have read that a 5G33 came out a few days ago, but no one mentioned it in reviews. In fact, no one knows the number of the build reached today by Apple, because there are between 2 and 4 builds every day, and a few of them are leaked out to developers.

The end of the week is the most probable date to see a final candidate appear at Apple's headquarters. After that, they will have about 4 days to approve it or approve another FC, then declare a GM and begin the production, send the box to the stores (and France ), etc?

Given the little glitches we saw on G series, the OS at the end of September will problably reach the same state of polishing as OSX 10.0.0 (aka 4K78) : stable, some functions laking, waiting for some minor updates in the months that will follow.
And I think too that the DVD player won't make it until the end of September or the begining of October. I'm readying my modem to get it !

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2001, 11:26 AM

Yes, 5G36 is in select premiere developer's hands right now, and it's pretty much what will be the GM. There *may* be some minor revisons, making the builds move to the G40's -- but either way, the GM is pretty much finished for all intents and purposes.

I haven't played with G36 yet, so I don't know any details (but the DVD player is supposed to be fully functional and it's supposed to play DVDs *smoothly* without hiccups). Other than that, there are fine-tunings to networking capabilities, more Finder clean-up, and there's a *slight* chance USB Printer Sharing will make it (I can only hope).

As I said, I haven't had the chance to play with this build yet, so I can't confirm anything outside of this. (The last build I've tinkered with is 5G27.)

Also, in the About Box, you can now click the version number to view three things (insead of two): the basic "10.1," the build number, and now a third click shows the CD's serial number.

I'll post more when I get more,
Maury

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: RAILhead ]
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2001, 12:07 PM

the GM is pretty much finished for all intensive purposes
For future reference, the phrase is for all intents and purposes.

<urp>
Aug 28, 2001, 12:19 PM

Yes, 5G36 is in select premiere developer's hands right now, and it's pretty much what will be the GM. There *may* be some minor revisons, making the builds move to the G40's -- but either way, the GM is pretty much finished for all intensive purposes.
Yes they seem to be moving at the rate of a couple of builds a day. From the Darwin bugtracker:
&lt;GMT25-Aug-2001 15:35:57GMT&gt; M.L.:
This problem has been addressed in future release5G38. Assigning to the originator to verify.

<osxing>
Aug 28, 2001, 12:33 PM

yes, but *intensive purposes* just sounds so much more serious and hard working...

mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2001, 01:04 PM

now a third click shows the CD's serial number.
explain.
understand your lives are rubbish

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Aug 28, 2001, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by mudzilla:
<STRONG>

explain.</STRONG>
In "About this Mac" click on "Version 10.1" and it gives the build. click on that and it gives a serial number.

Been doing this, I've heard, since G24, actually.

christopherus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
<STRONG>

In "About this Mac" click on "Version 10.1" and it gives the build. click on that and it gives a serial number.

Been doing this, I've heard, since G24, actually.</STRONG>
It's just the serial number of your computer.

adamtki
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2001, 02:26 PM

I have the notes from the 5G36 build and one of the known problems is that the Finder stalls in list view. So I doubt this is the GM version. I haven't installed it yet so I don't know if this hang occurs all the time. I may have time tomorrow. If I do, I'll let you know how the DVD player plays as well.
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2001, 03:13 PM

Why the heck do you guys think the DVD player will be a separate download after 10.1 comes out? Because it does not work in the developer builds of G27? WHO CARES! Apple is not going to make an effort to give developers the newest build of a DVD player for beta testing!

The DVD player worked well 2 months ago when Steve demo'd it at the keynote. Sure it crashed one but it played movies fine.
You think that this was the same player version that came with G27 that can't even play 3 seconds from a DVD?

Gimmie a break.

The DVD player will ship with 10.1 and it will work fine.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

harp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 03:44 PM

I seriously doubt that they're at GM. They probably have about another week to two weeks of development before they are forced to make it GM. They'll probably continue working on squashing bugs until the last possible moment. I'd venture to guess that there will be several bug fixes after 10.1 arrives similar to what happened with 10.0.

Can't wait till Jaguar!!

<Get Ready for Paranoia>
Aug 28, 2001, 05:09 PM

Who says there isn't a serial on developer CDs. Microsoft has it and therefore one shouldn't violate their NDA.
Alleged Proof of Microsoft's serial: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21307.html

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2001, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Get Ready for Paranoia&gt;:
<STRONG>Who says there isn't a serial on developer CDs. Microsoft has it and therefore one shouldn't violate their NDA.
Alleged Proof of Microsoft's serial: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/21307.html</STRONG>
It's the same number as your computer serial number; You can find out all about it in the Apple System Profiler.

Not surprised Microsoft put it in; by the time Windows programmers get a chance to examine the new build, it's already half way across Europe.

<booj>
Aug 28, 2001, 09:47 PM

What do you make of this? Read the first line of "Program Content"...

http://appleclub.com.hk/asf/

Arlo
Aug 28, 2001, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by OoklaTheMok:
<STRONG>For future reference, the phrase is for all intents and purposes.</STRONG>
It drives me NUTS when people mess up phrases like this. Another one that gets me is when people say "...cut off his nose despite his face". It's "to spite" dammit!

Waveman
Aug 28, 2001, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Arlo:
<STRONG>

It drives me NUTS when people mess up phrases like this. Another one that gets me is when people say "...cut off his nose despite his face". It's "to spite" dammit! </STRONG>
Hah... I could care less!

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2001, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Arlo:
<STRONG>

It drives me NUTS when people mess up phrases like this. Another one that gets me is when people say "...cut off his nose despite his face". It's "to spite" dammit! </STRONG>
This bugs me a lot more than it should. But what drives me absolutely batshit is the rampant misuse of apostrophes. Was I the only one awake in 7th-grade English?

Apparently, I'm not the only one. http://angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif

buon working
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2001, 11:08 PM

batshit
oh yeah, Mr. Dog-I'm-just-going-to-make-up-a-new-word-zilla?!

PS: how's my use of hyphens?

PPS: should I use periods between the "P" and the "S?" (and note I placed the question mark inside the quote!)

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2001, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by &lt;booj&gt;:
<STRONG>What do you make of this? Read the first line of "Program Content"...

http://appleclub.com.hk/asf/</STRONG>

I noticed the Matrox logo on the page. Has there (in recent history) ever been a Matrox video card for the Mac? Possibly new options for video?
To stay on topic, I don't think that "Keynote speech in [sic] preview Mac OS 10.1 on 7th Sept" bit really means anything. Steve previewed 10.1 last month.

Mac The Fork
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2001, 11:22 PM

Was I the only one awake in 7th-grade English?
Christ, it shouldn't even be a problem! It's not even a case of overgeneralisation.

(and note I placed the question mark inside the quote!)
I thought that only what is being quoted should be encapsulated, such as 'between the "P" and the "S"?'; not 'between the "P" and the "S?"'

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2001, 12:52 AM

You guys read the article? Yawn. :o

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2001, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>You guys read the article? Yawn. :o</STRONG>
Hear hear. Usually ThinkSecret is pretty substantive, but that was a yawner.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2001, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Mac The Fork:
<STRONG>

I thought that only what is being quoted should be encapsulated, such as 'between the "P" and the "S"?'; not 'between the "P" and the "S?"'

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Mac The Fork ]</STRONG>
Yup. "The question mark should be placed inside the quotation marks, parenthesis, or brackets only when it is part of the quoted or parenthetical matter."

That's straight from the Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition.

Cheers
Scott

PS
I'm just glad to know that other people get as bent out of shape as I do about the horrible grammar on the web....

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: midwinter ]

aleph_null
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2001, 02:02 AM

<STRONG>Why the heck do you guys think the DVD player will be a separate download after 10.1 comes out? Because it does not work in the developer builds of G27? WHO CARES! Apple is not going to make an effort to give developers the newest build of a DVD player for beta testing!

The DVD player worked well 2 months ago when Steve demo'd it at the keynote. Sure it crashed one but it played movies fine.
You think that this was the same player version that came with G27 that can't even play 3 seconds from a DVD?

Gimmie a break.

The DVD player will ship with 10.1 and it will work fine.</STRONG>
Not that I know, but it seems likely to me that the DVD player's on the Puma code branch along with everything else that'll be on the Puma CD. I suspect they make a daily build of everything on the CD, write disk images of the install CDs, and send those to ETS. Occasionally, if a build seems stable, they seed it to developers. It would actually take more effort to separate the DVD player out of the builds than it does to include it. Furthermore, they want us (developers) to find bugs, including bugs in the DVD player. (They have to pay the ETS guys a salary, so ... hey, free testers! )

And any number of things could cause the player to break between then and now. But yes, it could certainly be working by GM.

Oh, and I am so happy that other people are bugged by apostrophe, word, and idiom mis-use. I usually bite my tongue, because people get all defensive and say intelligent things like "shut the f*ck up you no what I mint!"

And also, grammar rules are pretty much arbitrary and spelling the possessive third-singular pronoun with an apostrophe actually kinda makes sense, anyway, even if it's not prescriptively correct... And also, I occasionally mess up, too. &lt;hangs head in shame&gt; But at least I know better.

But anyway, yay! I hereby commiserate.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2001, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by aleph_null:
<STRONG>

Not that I know, but it seems likely to me that the DVD player's on the Puma code branch along with everything else that'll be on the Puma CD. I suspect they make a daily build of everything on the CD, write disk images of the install CDs, and send those to ETS. Occasionally, if a build seems stable, they seed it to developers. It would actually take more effort to separate the DVD player out of the builds than it does to include it. Furthermore, they want us (developers) to find bugs, including bugs in the DVD player. (They have to pay the ETS guys a salary, so ... hey, free testers! )

And any number of things could cause the player to break between then and now. But yes, it could certainly be working by GM.

Oh, and I am so happy that other people are bugged by apostrophe, word, and idiom mis-use. I usually bite my tongue, because people get all defensive and say intelligent things like "shut the f*ck up you no what I mint!"

And also, grammar rules are pretty much arbitrary and spelling the possessive third-singular pronoun with an apostrophe actually kinda makes sense, anyway, even if it's not prescriptively correct... And also, I occasionally mess up, too. &lt;hangs head in shame&gt; But at least I know better.

But anyway, yay! I hereby commiserate. </STRONG>
Not everyone on this board is english you know. (Of course you do ;-) I don't have many problems usually, but it did take me three times reading your post to understand all you were saying. Get back to the normal words plz.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2001, 06:59 AM

&lt;off-topic&gt;

Originally posted by The DJ:
<STRONG>Not everyone on this board is english you know. (Of course you do ;-) </STRONG>
The funny thing is, it appears to be mostly the *native* speakers of English that mess stuff up (at least judging by the "From:" field, which invariably locates them in the US ).

Other pet peeves:
"your" vs. "you're"
possessive "its" spelt "it's"
"could of" instead of "could have" or "could've"
"kernal" for "kernel"
"compatability" for "compatibility"
people being smart-asses on public boards.

BTW, my eighth-grade (U.S.) "Grammar and Composition" book states explicitly that punctuation goes *inside* the quotes. If the Chicago manual says otherwise, this could indicate that this is a) changing or b) flexible.

Whatever.

&lt;/off-topic&gt;

I think it seems clear that DVD will *have to* be made available on or around September 26th, since Apple will be preloading, advertising, and generally pushing OS X as a multimedia/DVD authoring platform.

It is entirely irrelevant whether it be obtainable on CD or via download.

-chris.

lholland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2001, 10:55 AM

<STRONG>You guys read the article? Yawn. :o</STRONG>
Yeah, a little sparse, but it's good to know X.2's codename. And I don't see anyone else posting this stuff, so I'm happy.

L. Holland
Ann Arbor, MI

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2001, 11:15 AM

Think Secret didn't mention 10.3's codename: Feral Tomcat.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Aug 29, 2001, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>Think Secret didn't mention 10.3's codename: Feral Tomcat.
</STRONG>

Nor did it mention 10.4's codename:

Elastic Sprinkle Bobcat.

You heard it here first.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2001, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
<STRONG>

Nor did it mention 10.4's codename:

Elastic Sprinkle Bobcat.

You heard it here first.</STRONG>
I have it on very good authority that it's "Throat-wobbler Mangrove". That or "Hello Firehose Kitty"

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2001, 09:54 PM

people being smart-asses on public boards.

asses instead of arses

BTW, my eighth-grade (U.S.) "Grammar and Composition" book states explicitly that punctuation goes *inside* the quotes. If the Chicago manual says otherwise, this could indicate that this is a) changing or b) flexible.

It's contextual.

If there's a quote that contains punctuation then the punctuation is inside the quotemarks, if you write something like:

Is the correct term "hallo"?

Then the punctuation is outside ("hallo" is the correct spelling of "hello" BTW).

Full points in abbrieviation is down to "house" style, but you should be consistent:

"PS", "eg", "ie", "USA"

"P.S.", "e.g.", "i.e.", "U.S.A."

Some styles dictate that you leave off the terminal full point ("e.g").

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2001, 10:14 PM

You people have a gift for getting off topic.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Clive:
<STRONG>
It's contextual.

If there's a quote that contains punctuation then the punctuation is inside the quotemarks, if you write something like:

Is the correct term "hallo"?

Then the punctuation is outside ("hallo" is the correct spelling of "hello" BTW).

Full points in abbrieviation is down to "house" style, but you should be consistent:

"PS", "eg", "ie", "USA"

"P.S.", "e.g.", "i.e.", "U.S.A."

Some styles dictate that you leave off the terminal full point ("e.g").</STRONG>
Clive,

You took the post right out of my keyboard!

Cheers,
Scott

now back to trying to make sense of the Chicago manual of style....

<Mac The Fork>
Aug 29, 2001, 10:30 PM

The Oxford Dictionary of Current English (1992) states that 'hallo' is a variation of 'hello'. Where do you get your information from?

I am now going to search for Jaguar info.

<m@cen>
Aug 29, 2001, 10:33 PM

Come Jaguar, you'll be able to watch DVD's

michaelb
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2001, 10:47 PM

You think you've got it tough?

To be understood, we non-Americans have to bastardize our English everytime we post...

Dropping "u" out of "colour," putting punctuation inside the quote marks, putting "z" in words like "bastardize..."

And why the hell do you pronounce it "zee" anyway? Zed's dead, baby?

And another thing, why do you make our actors speak with silly accents? Heath Ledger in A Knight's Tale, what a hoot.

Russell Crowe could kick your drawling arses anyday. Sorry, asses.

(BTW, I don't actually care about any of the above, and think International English is a pretty good idea, but in the interest of cultural diversity and having a go at the yanks...)

<hmmm>
Aug 29, 2001, 11:05 PM

zee Germans!

<Mac The Fork>
Aug 29, 2001, 11:08 PM

'Analyze' is an overamericanisation that annoys me greatly... perhaps those who use it should perform a more thorough 'analyzis' of the dictionary.

<Mac The Fork>
Aug 29, 2001, 11:13 PM

The reason why Americans say 'Zee' instead of the alternative is that 'Zed' just doesn't fit into the alphabet song.

While I'm posting in this topic, what features do you guys think will go into Jaguar? Which ones would you like to see, assuming DVD and all make their way into Puma?

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2001, 11:33 PM

"�Whoa, Nelly!"!

?

I'm not sure what to say now, but thanks for the crash course, everyone.

I remember the fifty different footnote/end note/hyperlink methods of crediting works that my high school and university (OK, my college was at least consistent) teachers confided in. I guess this punctuation business is no different? I never promised you an English major.

In a desperate attempt to stay on topic, I hope Jaguar quells some of the XP hype. There seems to be two features it has over OS X that come up the most often: switching users without logging out (convenient, yes, compelling?) and some semblance of theming. I think XP and Blackcomb offers the Mac a clear avenue as an alternative, a more flexible, less "you-want-to-do-this" wizard-oriented experience.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Aug 29, 2001, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
<STRONG>

I have it on very good authority that it's "Throat-wobbler Mangrove". That or "Hello Firehose Kitty"</STRONG>
Close, but you're way off. 10.4 will be Elastic Sprinkle Bobcat. Throat-wobbler Mangrove is the codename for Mac VCR OS X v.10.0.1.5, an effort to adapt OS X to VCRs to better interact with iMovie for those who do not have Superdrives. It will be bundled as the sole OS on the all-new vcrMac, a translucent VCR with a Firewire hookup (this has been mistaken for the rack-mount Mac server by all the rumor sites). Hello Firehose Kitty is, obviously, the codename for Mac Small Girl OS X, a new operating system designed for 12 year old girls, to be bundled on a new range of iBackpacks and iLunchboxes. It features a new window design (forget the lack of borders - these windows are CIRCLES, with triangles for dialog boxes), a color scheme that transitions between pink and blue every 4 seconds, and spring-loaded folders.

Further down the line, my sources indicate that 10.5 will feature a new direction in codenames, a departure from the feline motif. 10.5's current rumored codename is Pyrex Pickle Blowfish. The carbonized version of Final Cut Pro, scheduled to appear sometime in 2009, is codenamed Mucus Sphincter Ringworm. OS X 10.6, which will finally mark the return of Appearance Schemes (the choices will be Key Lime Retina Burner and Windows 2.0esque) will be codenamed Trimaran.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

bewebste
Senior User
Aug 30, 2001, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by dogzilla:
<STRONG>

I have it on very good authority that it's "Throat-wobbler Mangrove".</STRONG>
I thought it was spelled "Raymond Luxury Yacht."

<Mac The Fork>
Aug 30, 2001, 01:39 AM

Raymond Luxury YaCHt.

This thread is doomed.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 30, 2001, 01:49 AM

Nah, this isn't going anywhere
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules