Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 12)
Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Cane?

I won't say because I'm sure some people here still want to stay guessing. I think the bigger surprise might come from Gina in the brig. Cane does have her dirty secrets thought.
Damn I can't wait. How did you guys see it already?

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
How did you guys see it already?
I haven't. I just have my sources.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 09:47 PM

I'm downloading the podcast for tonight's episode (#211) as I type

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 06:27 AM

meh I have the bittorrent coming in at the moment. iTMS doesn't have it yet though :/
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 07:28 AM

Is there any place to download true 1920 HD torrents or what is the largest size around? I've watched every show in order and bought all the DVD's but still I hunger for more.

This picture should give a clue as to how insidious the cylon threat really is...

( Last edited by mrtew; Jan 7, 2006 at 09:30 AM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew
Is there any place to download true 1920 HD torrents or what is the largest size around? I've watched every show in order and bought all the DVD's but still I hunger for more.
The 1st one to show up was XVID 624 X 352, 23.98 fps, and came in at 275 MB.
Definately not HD, but it looked good. Better than most last season, in fact.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
The 1st one to show up was XVID 624 X 352, 23.98 fps, and came in at 275 MB.
Definately not HD, but it looked good. Better than most last season, in fact.
Better quality than what you get on iTMS as well.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 02:26 PM

OK that episode was pretty darn good. Next week will be even better.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 04:50 PM

Alright something is really bothering me about this episode.

SPOILERS. Don't read this if you haven't seen the episode.

About the resurrection ship. It is there because they are too far from the homeworld and need to breed more human Cylons.

First, this ship is massive, it looks like they are creating them by the thousands. Why do they need so many? It is not like the human Cylons are dropping dead in masses. Why can't they just keep extras on the baseStar? We already saw there are a about 10 or so Boomers on one of the base stars (it was nuked though).

Also, out of all the pictures Starbuck took of the ship it was rather convenient she only got a shot on the Six Cylon and not some unknown ones.

I also don't understand how with the FTL drive they can only jump certain distances. It was established that a small Cylon Raider can jump ALL the way back to kobol in one shot so why not back to the Cylon home world to get human Cylon refills. Even if it is too far why not leapfrog? Jump half way there, make adjustments, jump the rest of the way.

Something that bothered me from the start, why can't a Cylon ship light jump right next to the battlestar, hit them with a nuke and move on? Same goes for Galactica. They always seem to have to jump 5 min away from the other ships.

Geeky but I have to ask.

I also hope they go back to Kobol to rescue those resistant cells and not just drop the story.

IF Adama goes through with the assassination next episode how can he justify it to the Pegasus crew? The first reaction might also be to shoot Starbuck the second she pulls the trigger. I get a strong feeling the Pegasus' 1st officer is going to turn on the Admiral and not go through with the assassination.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 04:53 PM

I also don't understand how with the FTL drive they can only jump certain distances. It was established that a small Cylon Raider can jump ALL the way back to kobol in one shot so why not back to the Cylon home world to get human Cylon refills.
That's not the problem. The problem is the Cylons can't beam all the way back to the Cylon homeworld when their bodies die because it's too far away. They need a closer ship to beam back to.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
That's not the problem. The problem is the Cylons can't beam all the way back to the Cylon homeworld when their bodies die because it's too far away. They need a closer ship to beam back to.
OK I get it then. thanks. But still, THOUSANDS of them? Damn.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 05:14 PM

Well, if you had the ability to build sexy female robots, wouldn't you build them by the thousands?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2006, 05:29 PM

First, this ship is massive, it looks like they are creating them by the thousands. Why do they need so many? It is not like the human Cylons are dropping dead in masses. Why can't they just keep extras on the baseStar? We already saw there are a about 10 or so Boomers on one of the base stars (it was nuked though).
I figured the resurrection ship is necessary to transfer their consciousness or whatever. The entire thing looked like some kind of giant antenna. And they have a lot of shells because they really don't want to run out.

Something that bothered me from the start, why can't a Cylon ship light jump right next to the battlestar, hit them with a nuke and move on? Same goes for Galactica. They always seem to have to jump 5 min away from the other ships.
It's probably the same explanation they used for warp drives on Star Trek. Such a maneuver would be very difficult to plot correctly and incredibly risky.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 7, 2006 at 05:36 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Well, if you had the ability to build sexy female robots, wouldn't you build them by the thousands?

Anyone here want to answer that one for me?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2006, 05:32 PM

You and your gay agenda.
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit

You and your gay agenda.
I dunno. Sounds like a hell of a lot of PMS to me.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 06:22 PM

I don't care if you're gay or not, you'd still be building sexy female robots.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 06:30 PM

She's pretty. I'd build her by the dozen at least.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by brapper
She's pretty. I'd build her by the dozen at least.
I'd built it. (TM)

gethigh
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2006, 08:50 PM

Spoilers for 211 Resurrection Ship Part 1

Last Chance

nuff said...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
If I had the ability to build sexy female robots, I wouldn't be building Tricia Helfers.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 10:04 PM

The inside of the Cylon ship totally looked like a Borg ship's inside.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
If I had the ability to build sexy female robots, I wouldn't be building Tricia Helfers.
Bring on the fembots!

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 10:36 PM

Is it just me, or does Edward James Almos have no charisma in this episode? He acts like he's asleep, constipated, or ready to curl up and die.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 10:52 PM

Is it just me, or does Edward James Almos have no charisma in this episode? He acts like he's asleep, constipated, or ready to curl up and die.
I think it's intentional. He's basically pretty limited right now. Can't give any of those powerful orders.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2006, 01:37 PM

So do you think they are going to stop filming in Baltars house based on his comments in 211?

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2006, 01:51 PM

Further, jumping in and nuking the galactica would likely end up destroying most of the human fleet. I don't think the cylons want that, as they seem to still need some humans around to satisfy their religious and reproductive agendas. The Galactica just happens to be between them and the abduction of the other humans. They may also be tracking the Galactica to follow it to Earth since although the Cylons had already found kobol, they apparently don't know any better than the humans do about the whereabouts of the 13th tribe.

The intentions of the cylons in this series havn't been completely revealed, and thusly neither have their actions been justified. I do think however that if they really wanted to, they have the power and ability to wipe out the human fleet. They still need the fleet for some reason.

deej5871
Senior User
Jan 8, 2006, 04:55 PM

So do you think they are going to stop filming in Baltars house based on his comments in 211?
In the podcast, it was explained how it is a real pain in the ass to film at the location too, because of construction, other film crews, neighbors, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any other scenes there for a while.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 05:17 PM

I thought he did well. Adama seems the kind of guy that gets quiet and non-talkative when pissed off. You could get that sense during his scene with the prez and Cain on colonial one.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2006, 06:19 PM

Its the USAF Chapel in Colorado Springs.

Resurrection ship:
( Last edited by Leia's Left Bun; Jan 8, 2006 at 06:34 PM. )

OreoCookie
Jan 8, 2006, 08:39 PM

I thought he did actually pretty well in this episode. Especially his reluctance to accept Roslin's plan to kill Cain. Although it's still kind of a miracle to me why Roslin as Commander In Chief doesn't settle the dispute for good. Cain claims to adhere to the law (and she does), so she should follow the chain of command.

Anyway, regarding the design of the Resurrection Ship, I didn't like it too much. It seems like an obvious target: lots of `air' and apparently the bodies of various cylons just sit on the surface, shrinkwrapped and waiting to be activated. I would have expected something heavily fortified (I haven't seen any weapon systems, but well, we haven't seen that much), something more solid. I would have put the `cargo' in the middle of that ship (as in the Battlestars where the infirmary which also acts as an emergency shelter is located in the center of the body of the ship).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gethigh
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Cain claims to adhere to the law (and she does), so she should follow the chain of command.
We don't really know too much about the Colonial government pre-Holocaust, but I doubt Cain would listen to "orders" pertaining to military matters (especially when dealing with military justice vs. civilian justice) and would tell Roslin anything she would like to hear while on Colonial One, but do the contrary once she's back on the biggest and baddest Battlestar this side of the galactic core.

Re: Resurrection Ship; I would have expected something heavily fortified (I haven't seen any weapon systems, but well, we haven't seen that much), something more solid.
One opinion is that it is one big antenna since the transmission is from the cylons in the rag-tag-fleet to the cylon homeworld. But I agree that the cylon bodies should be on basestars while the "antenna ship" is just for transmission and relay. I suppose it's more efficient to stuff them in a big ship and risk the "all your eggs in one basket" flaw (the resurrection ship is much larger than the basestars I believe). Cylons don't need to be cautious...from what we've seen so far they are very cocky.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 02:49 AM

I thought he did actually pretty well in this episode. Especially his reluctance to accept Roslin's plan to kill Cain. Although it's still kind of a miracle to me why Roslin as Commander In Chief doesn't settle the dispute for good. Cain claims to adhere to the law (and she does), so she should follow the chain of command.

Anyway, regarding the design of the Resurrection Ship, I didn't like it too much. It seems like an obvious target: lots of `air' and apparently the bodies of various cylons just sit on the surface, shrinkwrapped and waiting to be activated. I would have expected something heavily fortified (I haven't seen any weapon systems, but well, we haven't seen that much), something more solid. I would have put the `cargo' in the middle of that ship (as in the Battlestars where the infirmary which also acts as an emergency shelter is located in the center of the body of the ship).
I don't know. I'm just not buying this whole Pegasus crew is evil and Cain/Amado interaction. The raping of prisoners, the leaving behind and stripping the other civi fleet, the execution of civilians, the execution of officers....
Then Amado just sits there and slides down into his seat. The compromise he made was pretty lame too. They sent out fighters towards Pegasus to get his crew back, then compromises to just put off the execution until they get back from the attack. It would have been one thing if he had already thought of killing Cain after the mission, but that hadn't even been proposed yet.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 02:15 PM

I don't know. I'm just not buying this whole Pegasus crew is evil and Cain/Amado interaction. The raping of prisoners, the leaving behind and stripping the other civi fleet, the execution of civilians, the execution of officers....
Then Amado just sits there and slides down into his seat. The compromise he made was pretty lame too. They sent out fighters towards Pegasus to get his crew back, then compromises to just put off the execution until they get back from the attack. It would have been one thing if he had already thought of killing Cain after the mission, but that hadn't even been proposed yet.
Given all that she had done, I find it a little hard to believe that Cain was still in command when the Pegasus encountered Galactica. In reality, an order to throw someone's wife and children against the wall and shoot them would probably not have been followed, and her own crew would have 'relieved' her for it.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcadam
Given all that she had done, I find it a little hard to believe that Cain was still in command when the Pegasus encountered Galactica. In reality, an order to throw someone's wife and children against the wall and shoot them would probably not have been followed, and her own crew would have 'relieved' her for it.
Well first off this isn't reality. Second, given all thats happened to the humans since the Cylon invasion, I think it would be safe to assume that something like this could happen. The separation of the human fleets would lead to rogue leaders who start doing whatever they think is necessary for the survival of the human race. Its obvious that Cain is insane, and her crew is probably so loyal that they follow her seemingly insane orders. Besides, if they didn't she'd have em killed. Cain also disguises her crazy actions in a cloak of sticking to the "military way" of things. Honor, structure, orders, etc.

Also, in regards to Adama's (Edward's) performance in this episode, I thought it to be appropriate. Adama's hope is slipping. He's getting less optimistic and more hopeless. He's also in a very very tough position by being a lower ranking officer, and having his men on death row for murdering an officer. He knows by law they are guilty and should be executed, but morally he knows thats wrong. I think he also knew that he was going to have to kill Cain before the President asked him to. And he knows that's not going to be a good thing in the short run. So I think his solemn, quiet, sinking attitude was reflecting the pressure he's feeling.

I really liked this episode. I can't wait to see how Starbuck and Cain's minion follows their orders to execute and how the Cylon resurrection ship turns out.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 03:01 PM

I hate to say it but I don't totally buy the other crew being THAT evil either.

In part 2 I think Six will be the one to kill Cain or perhaps her own first officer.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 03:13 PM

Don't forget that Adama and Galactica almost slid down the same slope that Pegasus did. Granted, they didn't put children up to the wall and shoot them, but Adama certainly used to feel that the civilian fleet was more of a liability and only existed to fulfill the military needs of Galactica.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Don't forget that Adama and Galactica almost slid down the same slope that Pegasus did. Granted, they didn't put children up to the wall and shoot them, but Adama certainly used to feel that the civilian fleet was more of a liability and only existed to fulfill the military needs of Galactica.
To be fair I don't think they said Children, they said FAMILY. Could be 38 year old unkles or brothers.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 10:59 PM

Now that I'm caught up...

---===Potential Spoiler===---

With Roslin Dying, is anyone expecting that She'll somehow cut a deal with the Cyclons for a new body? Or that they might offer to repair it for her? And this right before Cain goes to blow up resurrection ship...
That's what I'm expecting anyway. I don't think that Admiral Cain is a Cylon, she's just a witch.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2006, 11:41 PM

I was thinking that the President was a sleeper cylon and given cancer to experience death as cylons know they can't die.

At any rate, I think her death/recovery will be the season finale.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:08 AM

I don't think that they're going to do anything like that. She's going to die. And while yes, McDonnell was signed on for the next season, remember that this show is willing to spend many episodes covering events that take place over the course of a few days. She might not die until partway into the next season, but I don't think she's a Cylon or that they can (or would) make a deal.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 11, 2006, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
OK that episode was pretty darn good. Next week will be even better.
Yeah, I thought this episode was great, except that it was just a little too convenient that Gina wanted to die and thus was so willing to cough up the information to destroy the Resurrection ship.

Originally Posted by Lateralus
--==SPOILER==--

The Cylons are actually... made of chocolate.
Yes, there was a big hint to this in the original BSG series.

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 01:56 AM

Just putting it out there....
I love this show.

Carry on.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2006, 02:52 AM

Want to see some interesting directing.

Watch Kobol's last gleaming, part 2.

After Boomer nukes the base star and returns to BSG she enters the CIC. Watch the camera work when Gaeta walks up to her. IS he shaking her hand or is he handing her the gun that will be used to shoot Adama?

I think the writers are ****ing with us.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2006, 01:37 AM

I was pretty happy to see in the episode Litmus that my banks "Bank of Nova Scotia" skyscraper is still standing after a nuclear attack on Caprica

http://www.bitflydesign.com/misc/scotiabank.jpg
( Last edited by Leia's Left Bun; Jan 15, 2006 at 02:52 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2006, 02:04 AM

I was pretty happy to see in the episode Litmus that my banks "Bank of Nova Scotia" skyscraper is still standing after a nuclear attack on Kobol

http://www.bitflydesign.com/misc/scotiabank.jpg

P.S. Tom Cavanaugh was taking about his bud Michael Hogan on Letterman and just said he was in movies. Paul Shaffer had no idea who he is. So, some quick-witted producer or something found a Tigh BSG poster to show as they faded out to commercial. I wonder how many people knew who that random guy was.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 02:36 AM

Well, I was a bit disappointed by Resurrection, Part 2. It was good, but I didn't particularly like the editing - didn't flow as I hoped, and the action seemed superfluous even though I wanted it to be a major component of the episode.

SPOILER: It's too bad they totalled the Blackbird. I really liked that ship. Maybe they'll build another one, or three.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 02:52 AM

OK so resurrection ship part 2 didn't really blow my skirt up. Perhaps because they showed next to none of the battle or it was waaay to easy to destroy 2 basestars. They should go back to their own planet with those skills and kill all of em.

Or perhaps it was confusing. Where the hell did Gina go in the end? Why did Lee want to die?

I was also correct on my guess on who killed Kain.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 15, 2006, 03:28 AM

this thread is too long!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2006, 03:55 AM

Yeah, I was really confused by a lot of the last episode. Like, BSG likes to have confusing action sequences, but this was above and beyond the call of duty. Did they attack the basestars and resurrection ship while the entire Cylon army was asleep? All that happened was Apollo fell out and got leaky and depressed(er)?
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules