Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MB and MBP cases revealed (and Oct 14 speculation)

New MB and MBP cases revealed (and Oct 14 speculation) (Page 3)
Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
No, it's not, no matter how much your wishful thinking might try to will it that way.
Umm, I'm don't think that was very appropriate. How about we keep it factual?

The top logo is definitely blurred, but it would be quite a stretch to say it is a USB logo.

All I'm saying is these images don't prove FW will be dropped. And all this "FW is gone" drama is highly premature.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Umm, I'm don't think that was very appropriate. How about we keep it factual?

The top logo is definitely blurred, but it would be quite a stretch to say it is a USB logo.
Actually, keeping it factual is precisely what I'm trying to do. Apologies if the tone seemed slightly offensive - please don't take it personally. I'm just annoyed because I WISH it were true, but it's very obviously not, at least in that pic.

The two ports are the same size. And while you may believe that it doesn't look like a USB logo, it unfortunately does look like a blurred version of the other logo, and it unfortunately does NOT look like a blurred Firewire logo (since it appears to have a "stem" in the top middle, and the Firewire logo has a strong emphasis on the upper right arm of the "Y" shape - take a look at the faint, blurred logo in the MacBook Pro photo), and it is placed right next to a hole that is the exact same shape as the other hole that IS clearly labeled with a USB logo.
( Last edited by analogika; Oct 12, 2008 at 12:04 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I hope it's a SIM card slot, thereby implying that the new MBPs will have integrated 3G modems. I don't think so, but it would fit with the size.
Now *that* would ****ing rock.

In Germany, the iPhone comes with a second SIM at no extra charge, and that taps right into the data flatrate (wtf is AT&T's problem, anyway? - oh yeah, lack of infrastructure to handle the traffic...).

That would be a nice combination, and I really wouldn't care about tethering, then...

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2008, 12:04 PM

It definitely looks like USB to me.

Closeup compared to white MacBook.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 12:15 PM

It's definitely USB.

Unless there's another port in an unusual place like the back of the machine or something, this looks like the end for FireWire on the MacBook.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2008, 01:18 PM

Does anyone have any idea of how the top and bottom cases attach? If they are no longer using screws and are moving completely over to a clip system (like the mac mini's) these things will be a nightmare to work on.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Removing Firewire from a product line that previously had it like the MacBook is DUMB DUMB DUMB. For one, it completely screws everyone with digital camcorders. I think iMovie still is unable to use USB for camcorder input, but even if it were a lot of people would buy these machines and then wonder where the Firewire port went. Firewire is and well remain technically superior, and Apple now has the market share to continue pushing the standard. Please don't piss me off yet again, Apple.
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
On many video cameras, the USB is strictly for stills not video. Oh and iMovie '08 is a steaming turd. I wonder what proportion of users use it over iMovie '06. I mean even Apple agrees '08 is a steaming turd, and offers '06 as a downloadable replacement for anyone who asks.
If they drop it (the shots are too blurry for me to pass judgement), I don't see it as being a big deal for the bulk of MacBook purchases.
The recent (last 2 years or so) crop of HD consumer camcorders have shifted toward HDD/flash storage with USB for faster-than-realtime importing and more widespread compatibility. Anyone with a legacy tape/Firewire consumer camcorder already has a machine with Firewire to use for importing footage.
With eSATA for mass storage and USB for everything else, why would consumers want to bother with Firewire? The pros will be shackled to it for years with their audio/video gear, but they're not buying many MacBooks and they're not going to leave the platform.

As I've said before above, there are whole industries where Firewire is THE standard connector, and will be for some time.

These are core markets for Apple.
How many low-end laptops are these industries buying?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
With eSATA for mass storage and USB for everything else, why would consumers want to bother with Firewire?
The problem being, of course, that the new MacBooks do not appear to have eSATA either, and there's no way to add it or FireWire due to the lack of an expansion slot.

The pros will be shackled to it for years with their audio/video gear, but they're not buying many MacBooks and they're not going to leave the platform.

I dunno - musicians in general are not the wealthiest bunch around, and MBPs are expensive. I could see Apple losing the audio market over this... surely one can manage to get a solution to work on Windows, where even a cheap $600 Dell laptop can be given FireWire capability via an ExpressCard. It's not like there isn't any software for pro audio on the dark side.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If they drop it (the shots are too blurry for me to pass judgement), I don't see it as being a big deal for the bulk of MacBook purchases.
The recent (last 2 years or so) crop of HD consumer camcorders have shifted toward HDD/flash storage with USB for faster-than-realtime importing and more widespread compatibility. Anyone with a legacy tape/Firewire consumer camcorder already has a machine with Firewire to use for importing footage.
With eSATA for mass storage and USB for everything else, why would consumers want to bother with Firewire? The pros will be shackled to it for years with their audio/video gear, but they're not buying many MacBooks and they're not going to leave the platform.

I agree completely with what you're saying, and I don't think it will hurt APPLE'S bottom line much that we've lost the best compromise there's ever been between feature-packed workstation, portability, and price, but it still saddens, annoys, and angers me.

While a musician/engineer who's working on the Mac is unlikely to switch to Windows, I do know a number of musicians who've been planning to switch, and I know of a bunch where the MacBook feature set vs. price was the deciding factor in their decision to switch over the past two years.

Though I don't have absolute numbers of course, I do know that for all the travelling musicians I know, portability is an absolute priority.

They have their mainstay desktop workstations for heavy lifting, and need as lightweight and portable a machine that will still give them decent on-the-road options. A good friend's initial reaction: "I don't WANT to lug around a 15" 'book!"

FWIW, I had a customer in a few weeks ago who spent over €800 on getting his 12" PowerBook repaired.

From the looks of those cases, the 15" might be even thinner and slightly smaller than before; if it's lighter, as well, I won't be *too* pissed once it's time to buy (though the likely higher price will delay my purchase by a year or so)...

Edit:
In reconsideration:
If that topcase is in fact engineered from a single block, as the rumours make it sound, then that thing will be a lot more solid than the last-iteration MacBook Pros, as well - if they manage to make a 15" MBP that feels as solid and sturdy as the MacBook Air, then I'll probably happily buy one and lug it around with me. The biggest problem with my 15" PowerBook was that it seemed so fragile and big. (that's what she said)
( Last edited by analogika; Oct 12, 2008 at 02:06 PM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 02:18 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, and maybe this has been discussed, but:
1) if the mbp are going to mini dvi or whatever it's called. could that mean new displays are in the works to incorporate the new plug?
2) if not, then apple would be forcing users to get an adaptor in which case equals people might not want to buy a new laptop if they want an external monitor of any kind.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2008, 02:31 PM

"However, it does confirm that both the mainstream and pro notebooks will share the same core platform and that the MacBook Air's design requires a different approach."

What does Appleinsider means with different approach? I was waiting 120 and 250 GByte HDs in the MacBook Air

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 02:48 PM

it looks like two USB to me.

If accurate I guess of depends on weight, other features, and price. Cuz if it's just mainly the enclosure (and the loss of fw) I may end up just getting a refurb MacBook white. I prefer the white plastic over the current alu mbp anyway.

Only 2 more days until we know.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2008, 03:05 PM

It looks like the new MB(P)s will not have Intel Cantiga chipsets at all. It appears they will come not only with dedicated NVIDIA GPUs, but also with an NVIDIA chipset. The MCP79 platform will offer the same 1066 MHz FSB, DDR3, and PCIe-2.0 support as Cantiga, but will integrate Cantiga's two bridge chips (Northbridge and Southbridge) into just one reducing chipset footprint. In addition the chipset will offer Hybrid SLI (allowing both integrated and dedicated graphics side by side with dynamic switching between the two depending on load/battery) and flash caching ("DriveCache").

MB will get MCP79MX with 9300M or 9400M
MBP will come with MCP79MX and 9600M
MBA could get low-power chipset MCP79U and retain integrated graphics

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._macbooks.html
I was really hoping for a 9650M. Maybe the high-end MBP will have that as an option.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
it looks like two USB to me.

If accurate I guess of depends on weight, other features, and price. Cuz if it's just mainly the enclosure (and the loss of fw) I may end up just getting a refurb MacBook white. I prefer the white plastic over the current alu mbp anyway.

Only 2 more days until we know.
Yes, if the pictures are legit, then we kiss bye-bye FW. My hope are that the pictures are not the real deal, since Apple Legal is nowhere to be seen.

By the way, can target disk mode work through USB?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
Yes, if the pictures are legit, then we kiss bye-bye FW. My hope are that the pictures are not the real deal, since Apple Legal is nowhere to be seen.
They have no clout in China.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 03:41 PM

They have no clout in China.
Ah, I see. So, these Chinese are a real trouble for Apple's secrecy. And probably this is the end of FW after all.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, and maybe this has been discussed, but:
1) if the mbp are going to mini dvi or whatever it's called. could that mean new displays are in the works to incorporate the new plug?
2) if not, then apple would be forcing users to get an adaptor in which case equals people might not want to buy a new laptop if they want an external monitor of any kind.
Looks like it. I have a mini-DVI connector I use for my ACD, but my port looks bigger than the ones in the photos. Is there a smaller version now? Micro-DVI or something? Not like it's a big deal, they're $20.

Also, I agree they are both USB. Not FireWire.

Two more days. Let's hold off the bitching. When they come out, you may continue.

I just want to know the price of the 13". 13" is the sweet spot for me. 15" is too big and 17" is monstrous. 12" or lower would be too small for main use. I use only my MacBook. I don't have a second computer, all my working is on this one machine. And it's great. 13" is great. I love 13"... I just wish I had a slightly higher resolution. Maybe 1440x900 please?

I do wish for colors though. I'd be all over a MacBook with a nice sunny color like yellow, orange or red. The same shade as the iPod nano. But that's wishful thinking, right? I'm not holding my breath for colors sadly. Too much overhead and unsold colors for Apple to keep. But would be a nice surprise.

I wonder what the "One More Thing..." will be. I can't wait for Tuesday. I do miss the days when they did live webcasts though. Auto-reloading news pages aren't the same. Especially when the one you're reading dies or stops updating and you have to figure out who to go to next.

P
Oct 12, 2008, 04:00 PM

The upper symbol is the FW logo. The lower is USB.
Too close to call. On the one hand, the logos do not look the same, and are close enough to each other that the lens distortion shouldn't be that significant. On the other hand, if I had to judge that second icon alone, I'd say it was USB - all recent Apple Firewire ports I can find have the corners covered by plastic.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 04:10 PM

Too close to call. On the one hand, the logos do not look the same, and are close enough to each other that the lens distortion shouldn't be that significant.
There's hefty jpg compression on there as well.

It's a USB logo.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 04:14 PM

Too close to call. On the one hand, the logos do not look the same, and are close enough to each other that the lens distortion shouldn't be that significant. On the other hand, if I had to judge that second icon alone, I'd say it was USB - all recent Apple Firewire ports I can find have the corners covered by plastic.
That was exactly what I was thinking. They're so close, why should only one show that much lens distortion.

But indeed, if you look closely you can see that the two ports are perfectly identical. On my MBP the FW port is at least 1-2 mm higher than the adjacent USB port and it is asymmetric - not just the plastic lining in the port, but the actual port has these cut off corners on the left side.
/——|
\____|
So from that I'm now leaning towards 2xUSB and no FW on the new MB. Two more days and we'll know for sure. But maybe one of these Chinese photographers will also find out how to use his camera properly before.

Oh well, I'm not too sad about FW (as I already mentioned in this thread). However no eSATA or EC/34 is a bummer.

So let me be the first to ask this naughty question: What did we sacrifice FW for on the MB? There's not a single new port. Is this just another "thinner is better" stunt on behalf of our favorite fruity company?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2008, 04:29 PM

I'll just post these here for all to see. Source
On a totally *unrelated* note, they stole our stars.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 04:30 PM

Oh well, I'm not too sad about FW (as I already mentioned in this thread). However no eSATA or EC/34 is a bummer.
Exactly. Removing FW is not the problem per se; leaving the MB with just USB ports without any other high speed connector replacing FW is a serious step BACK.

So let me be the first to ask this naughty question: What did we sacrifice FW for on the MB? There's not a single new port. Is this just another "thinner is better" stunt on behalf of our favorite fruity company?
I am afraid you are spot on.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
On a totally *unrelated* note, they stole our stars.
True, but their site still sucks.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 04:40 PM

Regarding this pic

Is anybody else here starting to think that might not be a taped off port at all, but just a piece of tape? The edges of the "port" aren't even parallel. Also, why would the area behind the port be darker? The background is light. OTOH why would there be tape there and what is the tape holding?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 04:54 PM

True, but their site still sucks.
I dunno about that

http://www.macx.cn/a/a8000I693296.htm

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 04:56 PM

Kids.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2008, 05:37 PM

Well, this is just personal preference, but oriental girls never were my thing. No matter how nice they look. There is nothing racist in this, just instinctive reaction.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2008, 05:40 PM

It is USB (duh).

Could it be USB 3.0, or would this be too early?

As long as there is the card slot in the MBP, I can appreciate (in fact I prefer) there being no FW/fewer "holes" in the computer overall.

As far as no FW on the MB.. it think it is reasonable, especially since it cuts down on cost.

I *think* I also like the optical drive on the side better. It will remind me of my first "portable" computer: my IIc with the built-in 3.5" on the right-hand side!
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 05:57 PM

Regarding this pic

Is anybody else here starting to think that might not be a taped off port at all, but just a piece of tape? The edges of the "port" aren't even parallel. Also, why would the area behind the port be darker? The background is light. OTOH why would there be tape there and what is the tape holding?
I dunno.

Look at this - the portion that's taped from the outside is at the bottom right:

And here, at the far end, left.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2008, 07:53 PM

I think that the taped up hole is to put antennas in. Metal computers are terrible for wireless communication. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage.

Just my 2 cents.

ImpulseResponse

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2008, 08:39 PM

speculation: if they made a tv of sorts with a built in appletv that didn't need to be hooked up to your computer in anyway, would you buy it?

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2008, 10:21 PM

Do the edges of the case look really sharp to anyone else (ala macbook air)? That thing is painful to type on.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2008, 12:02 AM

speculation: if they made a tv of sorts with a built in appletv that didn't need to be hooked up to your computer in anyway, would you buy it?
No, because that would be stupid.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 02:16 AM

That depends on whether they'd make it DVB-T, DVB-C, DVB-S, or analog, and whether with a hardware or a software decoder, or, if they include ALL of those options so that people will actually be able to USE it in whatever country they might happen to live, and if they do so, how exactly they'd manage to eat the $150-250 (retail) that would cost additionally to the computer hardware, since they couldn't make the machine more expensive for including such frivolous bullshit.

In other words: Huh?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 03:06 AM

The interesting thing about that taped off "port" on the MBP is that the MB case seems to also have something at the exact same location.

There's nothing visible on the outside of the MB case, but on the inside you can clearly see something the size of a port with screw holes on each side.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2008, 03:11 AM

Hmm... Intriguing.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2008, 03:12 AM

Maybe it's something, maybe it isn't. We'll find out on Tuesday.

People on Macrumors think the mystery port might be mini-Displayport, though, and I think that might be the ticket, since it's convertible to dual-link DVI and HDMI as well.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 03:23 AM

Assuming the taped off "port" is actually a real port, what's with the location? It's right next to what appears to be the IR port, but why the huge gap between the EC/34 an the IR port?

moep
Senior User
Oct 13, 2008, 04:12 AM

Looking at those pictures for the first time, I really hope the plastic-back mockups aren‘t real.
Unfortunately I believe they are plausible because Apple did the same thing with the iPhone -> iPhone 3G.
Still, I’ll forever love the timeless design of the original AlBook to todays MBP.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2008, 04:39 AM

I hear something about FW over Ethernet using an adaptor. Is that possible?

P
Oct 13, 2008, 05:26 AM

Anything's possible. Gigabit Ethernet is also faster than Firewire 800 (technically, at least - you can do 1 Gb full duplex, while FW 800 only has 800 Mb for the entire bus). Maybe that's the answer - a NAS unit for your external HD.

EDIT: Wait, I think I see what you mean: using Firewire over the RJ45 port commonly used by Ethernet? Yes, that is permitted according to the latest standard, but I'm not aware of a chip that implements that feature.
( Last edited by P; Oct 13, 2008 at 05:51 AM. )

P
Oct 13, 2008, 05:29 AM

Cost. Firewire is not included in the Southbridge on either Intel or nVidia chipsets, so you need an extra chip and a more complicated motherboard.

P
Oct 13, 2008, 05:40 AM

Assuming the taped off "port" is actually a real port, what's with the location? It's right next to what appears to be the IR port, but why the huge gap between the EC/34 an the IR port?
Some ExpressCards stick out quite a bit to fit a port or an antenna or similar. Apple may have taken that into account.

dale
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2008, 06:19 AM

The interesting thing about that taped off "port" on the MBP is that the MB case seems to also have something at the exact same location.

There's nothing visible on the outside of the MB case, but on the inside you can clearly see something the size of a port with screw holes on each side.

Maybe the new manufacturing process that some sites have been talking about might offer a clue here.

Maybe all Macbooks will have their case tops starting life as a solid chunk (or brick) of metal forming the keyboard tray and laptop sidewalls, where the ports will go. From this, each Macbook will have the port apertures cut out according to the model. The base model will have USB only appertures cut, the highest model will have Firewire (and probably better that FW400) cut out.

Apple could still suse a single motherboard, and only connect the ports paid for by the model selected.

Also, I seriously tink there are a lot of potential switchers still out there that will be put off by the fact that the new $799/$899 laptop from Apple cannot connect their 18 month old camcorder, the replacement for which will make the macbook financially unviable. Having to pay upwards of $1500 just to have a DV/FW port would be a very bad move by apple.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 07:14 AM

Another interesting thing about the new MB and MBP is that obvsiouly the AirPort card is now integrated into the display case rather than the base.

A recently leaked tech note contained this

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2008, 07:15 AM

EDIT: Wait, I think I see what you mean: using Firewire over the RJ45 port commonly used by Ethernet? Yes, that is permitted according to the latest standard, but I'm not aware of a chip that implements that feature.
Yes, that is what I mean. But it seems no one can tell if Apple is willing to implement it or not. Well, we will find out tomorrow.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2008, 07:18 AM

FW over RJ-45 is also detailed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWir..._1394c-2006.29

"Though the potential for a combined Ethernet and FireWire RJ45 port is intriguing, as of December 2007, there are no products or chipsets which include this capability."

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2008, 07:44 AM

FW over RJ-45 is also detailed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWir..._1394c-2006.29

"Though the potential for a combined Ethernet and FireWire RJ45 port is intriguing, as of December 2007, there are no products or chipsets which include this capability."

So, modulo something unforeseen, we can bet that this is not going to happen. And that FW is definitely being phased out from the consumer machines.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 08:17 AM

Well, I suppose we could be eternal optimists... Apple has a habit of implementing funky new features first.

Nah, very, very unlikely.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2008, 08:45 AM

Is anybody else here starting to think that might not be a taped off port at all, but just a piece of tape?
What about an SD/MMC Memory Slot? or a hole new port specially designed for SS Memory?
Wouldn't be that bad to have one, but with all the I/O interface diet all Apple products are in, it may be doubtful

Forum Links
Forum Rules