Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > File transfer help needed

File transfer help needed
fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2009, 06:38 PM

I killed my 7 year old G4 iMac the other day by spilling a soft drink on it. I removed the hard drive and installed it in a remote inclosure and I am now trying to move the files to my new computer, a MacBook Air.

When the hard drive is plugged in I can hear it power up and it shows up in Disk Utilities but no where else.

Could someone walk me through, step by step with what I need to do to save the seven years of my life that are on the old hard drive?
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2009, 07:46 PM

Select the drive in Disk Utility, then click the button to "Mount". If it gives error messages, repair the disk. I'd personally let Disk Warrior handle the repair, it does a better job than Disk Utility.

If you can get the disk to mount, Migration Assistant can import just about everything.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2009, 07:51 PM

If it doesn't mount, that's not good. You could try Data Rescue. Since there's a possibility the drive could be damaged, I would prefer that over a repair utility such as DiskWarrior, since Data Rescue doesn't actually attempt to change anything on the drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

fletch521  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2009, 03:35 PM

I bought Data Rescue this morning and we will give that a try.
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

reader50
Administrator
Jun 30, 2009, 12:28 AM

I generally reserve Data Rescue for the bad cases. Where DiskWarrior (and other utilities) indicate you will lose huge numbers of files, or that the disk can't be repaired at all. The vast majority of the time, DiskWarrior will fix everything up.

For future reference, you can use DW in read-only mode. Let it rebuild the directories, then it offers to "preview" the repaired volume. At this point, nothing has been written to disk. The preview is the physical disk, but with DW supplying a repaired directory structure from RAM.

Allow it to mount the preview volume, and don't let it go any further with the repair. The preview volume mounts just like a real volume - you can use the Finder or Migration Assistant to pull data off. Check the repair log while you are at it, if the file count is largely unchanged, then it is likely safe to let DW finish the repair.

If the repair log indicates there will be a big drop in the number of files on the volume and/or the preview volume doesn't show a bunch of files you need -- then I wheel out Data Rescue to try and salvage something more.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2009, 12:50 AM

Yeah, but this time the drive has stopped mounting after having soft drink spilled on it. I don't think it's gonna get fixed by software. I don't know whether DR will be able to recover anything either, but it's definitely the better of the two options since fixing the drive is not what we're interested in here.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules