Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 53)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2012, 08:39 AM

Well it certainly looks mind-boggling. But to be honest I really don't need something else to eat up my time at the moment. I still haven't even played the new Skyrim DLC after downloading it weeks ago.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2012, 08:44 AM

This is what garnered my interest.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF31FF54CE3BCA21F

Having other blocks to work with (Marble, Marble Brick, Basalt, Basalt Cobble, Basalt Brick) doesn't hurt either.

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2012, 09:50 AM

I've seen his vids with Yogscast, it does look fun... but complex. Crafting isn't my favorite part of the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2012, 09:53 AM

If you remember having to live or die by the wiki the first time you played minecraft... yeah, you'll be back to doing that.

At least some of the advanced crafting tables make things easier.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2012, 01:31 PM

Interesting to say the least, but the sheer amount of, well, everything is enough to scare me away...I barely make use of all vanilla minecraft has to offer.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2012, 04:21 PM

So I watched a bunch of those videos and......hoooooooly crap. I can't say I'm not interested, but it just seems like an enormous undertaking, just keeping the inventories straight for all that stuff seems like a nightmare.

The quarry machine is awesome, the piping systems that split goods and auto-smelt are awesome. I might actually have to check this out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Interesting to say the least, but the sheer amount of, well, everything is enough to scare me away...I barely make use of all vanilla minecraft has to offer.
Aside from alchemy and complicated redstone, I'm not sure there was anything in Minecraft I hadn't done (or wanted to).

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 24, 2012, 05:44 AM

Andi,
Once I lay some more rail to finish the current branch, I'll be starting on the SkyRail line out to your Swamp area. Couple questions:
1- how close do you want me to get it?
2- right now, the line is at 200y. I can drop that down if you like, but at 200 SkyRail is not easily noticeable from the ground... at least until you build SOMETHING to get up to it
3- as for 'getting up there' ... so far I have the floating castle and a really tall tower. You mentioned a giant tree?

cycl0pse

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 05:52 AM

So I watched a bunch of those videos and......hoooooooly crap.  I can't say I'm not interested, but it just seems like an enormous undertaking, just keeping the inventories straight for all that stuff seems like a nightmare.
The biggest problem is managing the power sources and machines. There's like 3 or 4 different mods running and they aren't exactly compatible. I've been tinkering with the quarry for two days trying to power it, but I finally figured out what I need to do tonight.

andi*pandi
Jul 24, 2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Andi,
Once I lay some more rail to finish the current branch, I'll be starting on the SkyRail line out to your Swamp area. Couple questions:
1- how close do you want me to get it?
2- right now, the line is at 200y. I can drop that down if you like, but at 200 SkyRail is not easily noticeable from the ground... at least until you build SOMETHING to get up to it
3- as for 'getting up there' ... so far I have the floating castle and a really tall tower. You mentioned a giant tree?
cycl0pse
How about I build a really tall tree where it should end thereabouts?

I also have a whole bunch of rail just plundered from a mineshaft.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The biggest problem is managing the power sources and machines. There's like 3 or 4 different mods running and they aren't exactly compatible. I've been tinkering with the quarry for two days trying to power it, but I finally figured out what I need to do tonight.
The trick is to look for ways they interact in a positive feed back loop. Like taking wood out of a mater condenser and cooking it then putting the charcoal back into the condenser to be turned into more wood.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
4 jungle saplings in a square + bonemeal makes one of those huge trees. put 4 dirt on top and repeat. then swap the dirt out with trunk. Much quicker than manually.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The trick is to look for ways they interact in a positive feed back loop. Like taking wood out of a mater condenser and cooking it then putting the charcoal back into the condenser to be turned into more wood.
It's slightly more complicated than that (Also, Charcoal and wood have the same EMC value, so it'd be redundant). I already have a perpetual-energy source in the form of a cobblestone generator (which I will start pumping directly into the energy condenser once I rejigger my layout). I also have solar paneling feeding the machines (need to upgrade to bigger batteries) and two energy collectors creating Aeternalis fuel which I use for matter transmutation into resources for item creation (anyone lost yet?).

The problem was one of the buildcraft engines was removed from the update, the other was too weak to run the quarry, and the third required elaborate cooling/supervision. I found out last night that there's a power converter for Industrialcraft to Buildcraft, and I'll be powering the Quarry via solar panel (if its enough) tonight.

I look forward to when I can post pics.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 06:40 AM

So are you playing this on a server of some type or just tinkering by yourself?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 06:53 AM

So are you playing this on a server of some type or just tinkering by yourself?
IIRC, Tekkit is the name of the catch-all that includes these various mods into one functional launcher (that you use instead of the vanilla Minecraft launcher). So I just boot up a SP game and go to town, no fuss, no muss.

I believe it includes Buildcraft, Industrialcraft, Equivalent Exchange, Railcraft, and maybe one or two other mods.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 07:03 AM

Well then. I'm going to download and see what I can do without getting to frustrated. I watched a decent amount of those yogcast videos so hopefully I can start off on the right foot.

Also, damn you Dakar.

Edit: Any particular wiki you are using? The tekkit wikia has it broken up into the separate mod packs and I wouldn't know which machines fit into which category.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 24, 2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
OK, how about this. If you look at Blaze's wonderful map, you'll see SkyRail roughly North of you ( I still consider spawn north... I think the map currently calls it east) I'm going to bring it down to where that line of snow meets the forest, then turn left towards your dome. I'll stop the path when I near the edge of the jungle and wait to see where the tree grows, then we can link them up.

Once the pathway is laid, we'll see how much rail is needed. In the meantime, I'm trying to get a portal 'ladder' setup at my floating castle, but the thought of a spiral 'rail' line is starting to appeal to me... time to break out the creative mode...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 07:07 AM

Well thenI'm going to download and see what I can do without getting to frustrated.  I watched a decent amount of those yogcast videos so hopefully I can start off on the right foot.
I gifted myself a set of stone tools to start, as I didn't care about the integrity of the first night. But otherwise, I dug shelter into a mountain, had no bed for the first few days and still had to rough it when it came to food. The first two days I began to get more and more panicked when my mining didn't discover anything other than coal and iron, but after I discovered copper, it was on. My rec is you make a Crafting Table III, as you can just throw resources in it and it will display the various items available to craft.

Also, damn you Dakar.
It's your gf that will end up hating me.

"Come to bed, sek!"
"Right after I finish my Nuclear Reactor!"

Edit: Also, use this - http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Cate...etting_Started

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 07:12 AM

Also, make sure you select Tekkit from the launcher, as it defaults to Technic, which is another strange beast altogether.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 08:19 AM

Sweet.

Well found a nice hill to hollow out, and I dug down to my usual y12 depth and mined my heart out. Got a little bit of everything, including 6 diamond.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 08:26 AM

Jesus, you're a bastard. It was still a struggle to get diamonds in my game. Biggest regret is learning yesterday that you can create obsidian from combining lava cells and water cells.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 09:20 AM

Also, enjoy confusing Nikolite for diamonds from a distance.

On the bright side, in my short time I discovered two dungeons and even discovered my first music disc, ever. Assuming they didn't change the odds of finding them in the mod, that's awesome.

Edit: If you're bored look up the interdiction torch,

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 11:32 AM

So I'm pretty balls-deep in tekkit at the moment. INstead of trying to describe what I've done today I'll just post a pic of my current setup. No great shakes, but it works.

The main issue I just ran into is my lack of power generation. I added a second coal-fired generator to keep up with the multiple machines, but thats not ideal. I built four wind turbines but in the end they produced nothing, and most of the information about them was how useless they were.

I've got the resources for a quarry, but I don't think my power system is up to the task.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 11:37 AM

WInd turbines need to be put at high elevations. I opted for solar panels, and they work ok for me. I good rule of thumb (IMO) is to have 1 per machine you want running – I'm willing to deal with slow downs, so I have five machines linked up to two-three panels, most of time which I'm only running two machines (I'll actually be looking into overclocking them tonight)

Other than that, you need work on building this, then this. After that, crafting gets easier as it relies on raw resources rather than specific stores.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 24, 2012, 12:18 PM

OK, just looking at that makes me shudder.... way to much going on for me!

Now, that inset map in the corner.... is that a mod?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM

It's part of the tekkit mod pack. You just need to enable it, which is super awesome by the way.

Only reason all that jazz is so ugly is because I want easy access to it so I can upgrade easily. This is a learning process for sure. Other than that it's been a blast. Mining is way more fun, and also exploring caves is more fun because there are way more ores and gems to loot.

I have an array of 6 solar collectors and they are doing the job okay, running all the machines at once is more than enough to outpace it. I've kept a coal generator as backup in case I need the extra boost.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 12:33 PM

Mining is way more fun, and also exploring caves is more fun because there are way more ores and gems to loot.
Told you!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 02:25 PM

Ok, so what is the deal with Nikolite? I've got so much of that shit now it's ludicrous. I suppose it'll come in handy with the equivalent exchange.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 04:20 PM

Nailed it.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2012, 04:36 PM

Ok, so what is the deal with Nikolite?  I've got so much of that shit now it's ludicrous.  I suppose it'll come in handy with the equivalent exchange.
Its used in redpower

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2012, 04:46 PM

... I'll just post a pic of my current setup. No great shakes, but it works.

I moved to a convenient mountain I plan on feeding to a Quarry eventually when I get diamond. Takes way to long to set these things up.

The trick with the pipes is to build on the diagonal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 06:00 PM

So even with 15 solar panels I'm struggling to keep up with the demand of my machines...sigh.

Looks like a coal generator backup is with me for a while.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 06:32 PM

If you've got 15 solar panels, you have enough to upgrade one of them to mark II.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 06:41 PM

If you've got 15 solar panels, you have enough to upgrade one of them to mark II.
and how would one go about doing that?

Also, just set up my exchange machine, used only half my Nikolite and netted 12 diamonds, awesome to the max. I have it converting a double chest of cobble into copper at the moment while I plan out my quarry.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Made another regular panel and now I have two LV Arrays and finally my power production is up to snuff. Time to quarry!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2012, 08:26 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2012, 09:26 PM

Very nice, I just got done with the final tweaks of my system.

Didn't set to my markers unfortunately, but I'm happy with the 9x9 for this round.

Diamond sorting pipe working great, all the rubbish converts to energy, the ore goes above the macerator, the goodies go where they are supposed to and the rest goes to an empty chest.

Running on 4 upgraded solar panles. Between the panels, the glass fibre wiring, and the quarry itself I'm nearly out of everything. But now I get to sit back.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2012, 10:41 PM

Wow thats allot of work just to quarry.

4607/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
4608/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Broken in 12 hours. And I only mined 2 diamonds.

Next is to find some cactus and build a large cactus farm to feed into it. But I'm in mountains and tundra.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 05:30 AM

Wow thats allot of work just to quarry.
Not when you consider how long it's take to mine a 9 x 9 area 64 blocks deep.

4607/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
4608/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Broken in 12 hours. And I only mined 2 diamonds.
Next is to find some cactus and build a large cactus farm to feed into it. But I'm in mountains and tundra.
Wait, now you're in this too?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 06:35 AM

I finally started focusing on cleaning up and construction last night. I'm working on my operations lower level and I can't deny it has a bit of a Dr. Evil feel to it. I look forward to posting pics as it gets close to completion. I'm taking a break from mining in the mean time. My needs should be served between the cobblestone generator (which I made a second energy condenser to connect to) and the two energy collectors which are creating aeternalis fuel.

I did some exploring last night looking for pumpkins, and I discovered a volcano, village, and oil deposit. I'll likely explore that after I get my mining HQ up and running.

Upgraded to a rotary macerator and indiction furnace. The furnace has been glitchy, as I think it requires a lot of power, and between the two solar panels and the level 1 batbox, there just isn't enough energy storage for it function properly.

(Oh, my current armor is Nano Chest, Nano Leggings and Rubber Boots. I also read that Nano Helmets allow you to breathe underwater. May have to check that out).

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 25, 2012, 07:01 AM

Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to have this installed and switch between vanilla Minecraft (AKA Blaze's server) and Tekkit mod?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to have this installed and switch between vanilla Minecraft (AKA Blaze's server) and Tekkit mod?
Very easy, because it uses a different launcher. Your files don't mix at all (from what I've seen).

andi*pandi
Jul 25, 2012, 07:19 AM

One thing I like about the yogscast/tekkit vids is the teamwork. I wouldn't want to build anything complex for myself, but it would be fun to have a group project.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2012, 08:05 AM

Upgraded to a rotary macerator and indiction furnace. The furnace has been glitchy, as I think it requires a lot of power, and between the two solar panels and the level 1 batbox, there just isn't enough energy storage for it function properly.
I heard the rotary Macerator takes a while to get up and running at full speed, I'm just going to try and overclock the regular one to high heaven and see what happens.

I've got two induction furnaces and when both are running it does indeed use a huge amount of power. 4 LV arrays still drain very slowly when both are running.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 08:13 AM

Rotary macerator is awesome, especially since it has two slots, meaning it doesn't get full when doing an entire stack of ore.

I think I may toy with nuke power soon. Just realized an awesome set-up for it with regards to my lair.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2012, 08:21 AM

Do you already have enough uranium?

Also, from what i saw in the videos, all the reactor shit does not stack, and looks like a huge pain in the ass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 08:26 AM

I have like 9 refined uranium. And then I found out EE doesn't accept it (but does reg uranium).

What do you mean doesn't stack?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 AM

The coolant cells, uranium cells, and other assorted goods to fill the reactor core don't stack, so they take up a huge amount of room.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2012, 08:54 AM

Wait, now you're in this too?
Just spend an evening fiddling with it.

I'm curious those of you with Quarries. What happens when you place blocks inside the quarry while its running? What happens if you, oh I don't know, force grow a tree in one.
Another thing i'm pondering. Infinite spring => pump => compressor = snowballs => auto crafting bench => snow blocks => recycler => auto crafting bench => random "free" stuff.
This is the first route for energy => matter that I can think of besides the Lava Fabricator and that probably has an even higher power requirement.

In off for vacation i'll have internet and remote access to my computer but wont be able to play.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2012, 09:37 AM

Anything inside the quarry, including the quarry machine itself, with the exception of lava and bedrock will be destroyed. At least that is my understanding, I'm not sure what happens to blocks that are "above" the cutter head. I can't test out your hypothesis because I'm quarrying in a big lake, so it keeps running in the event of lava.

Having a weird java error when trying to take a screenshot "Failed to save: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Number of remaining buffer elements is" and there are two numbers afterwards. I found some posts about the same problem, but none with a solution.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 09:41 AM

My quarry was closer to ground then I thought and it ate the ceiling. I started to replace it, but removed it again because I had built it one block too low. I would think a tree would be deconstructed from the top down.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 10:05 AM

The coolant cells, uranium cells, and other assorted goods to fill the reactor core don't stack, so they take up a huge amount of room.
Oh yeah, true. I guess the general idea is to have a chest and or craft the stuff near/right before you need it.

Just spend an evening fiddling with it.
Curiosity is good.

In off for vacation i'll have internet and remote access to my computer but wont be able to play.
Sweet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules